Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I did skim through demonlord reborn and the first ep has em as a little kid and it’s basically a less obscene version of that assassin isekai from a last year. Then the second ep has em as a super cool teen and it’s five hundred times worse.

Which makes me wonder about shows that transform characters into less charming versions of themselves. I remember liking the chubby mc and gorilla from gorilla isekai and then they evolved into generic nothings. Even Bakarina I liked the kid version a lot more. Doesn’t her mind characters stay the kid version even? I feel like this happens quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tamba posted:

No, I don't want to go back to the Zorak era of "these series are bad and no one is allowed to talk about them"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Seconding the appeal to split the seasonal thread into an isekai and non-isekai thread.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
It's very important every season thread is comprised of posts discussing elf rape and posts complaining about those posts.

God forbid we talk about shows that are good.

Grouchio posted:

Seconding the appeal to split the seasonal thread into an isekai and non-isekai thread.

Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with Grouchio

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
As an old timer I don't miss not being able to read or participate in discussion about certain shows by decree, but an indication of potential quality was always useful and not often implied by the official descriptions or PVs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

I would prefer "these series are bad and so we must dunk on them in depth and great detail"

I am gonna be honest I find a lot of "dunking" to be worse than the actual dang shows being talked about!

Like a well-done critique is one thing but when it comes to "dunks" there's only so many ways to make fun of yet another isekai with slavery and sexual assault that is also just going through the standard isekai motions, y'know?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really care if someone really loves the Skeleton show or whatever awful isekai. but imo what's bad is pretending all the bad stuff was invented for the anime and that the series doesnt have any of that at all, so they can act offended/shocked every week while watching it

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Splode posted:

It's very important every season thread is comprised of posts discussing elf rape and posts complaining about those posts.

God forbid we talk about shows that are good.

Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with Grouchio

How about dying side by side with a frie- *is shot*

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't really care if someone really loves the Skeleton show or whatever awful isekai. but imo what's bad is pretending all the bad stuff was invented for the anime and that the series doesnt have any of that at all, so they can act offended/shocked every week while watching it

sorry, adtrw is a forum for people embarrassed about liking anime, and trying to convince internet strangers you aren't weird like those other anime fans.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I would like to veto any suggestion of having two seasonal threads or asking Julias to rate anime in advance.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Namtab posted:

I would like to veto any suggestion of having two seasonal threads or asking Julias to rate anime in advance.
That's just wishing to speak to the manager.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's very important that the seasonal thread contain only discussion of anime airing this season that everyone likes, and anime in unwanted genres need to be sectioned off to their own containment zone lest the rest of us have to keep scrolling

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
If you don't like people dunking on <isekai> show in the seasonal thread, then post a "thread for dunking on <isekai> show" and send it all there instead.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is already a thread for gross isekai just use that for in-depth discussion past the initial episodes if no one wants to make a specific show thread :shrug:

It is funny to me how sometimes it seems like people who like something with uh, risque content either don't notice? how bad it is when talking it up or just selectively remember the good parts and not the rest and idk if it's like a desensitization thing or what. I know I have definitely forgotten about objectionable early content in longer (bl) manga that I had to backtrack on when I gave it a skim and was like, whoops that's a little yikes probably needs a heads-up CW. It's not a big deal imo to provide honest content warnings for stuff you like that has scenes that people might not want to see and should have some upfront notice before viewing. Sometimes it feels like people somehow didn't notice how raunchy something could get or deliberately downplay it to....idk make it seem more "wholesome" or something. Like, is it not wanting to acknowledge that [thing I like] is also [thing with some gross scenes]? I guess it also goes hand in hand with watching entire shows while performatively declaring "actually I hate this" the whole time lol.

I think there is a balance that can be found between gushing effusively about how great the rape isekai show of the season is without caveat and the zorak zone of forbidden shows no one may speak of and imo that involves being honest about potentially upsetting content with up-front and clear content warnings so people can draw their own conclusions, and also being able to read the room a bit and be able to determine "ok maybe this show is one I don't need to laboriously rant about in the season thread in detail after every episode" even if you're watching it for hate reasons or because you (secretly/genuinely) enjoy it. If anything, if a show compels enough of a reaction that it needs that kind of vent or dissection then it also should be getting a thread of its own where all of that can live and the folks who want to read it can hash it out in there and the season thread doesn't get derailed with it.

e: also in agreement that splitting the season thread is silly, and also that I do appreciate some initial reactions even to bad shows but less of the vague "oof that episode" kind and more of the "this is what happens" content awareness so I know what to avoid watching.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 15, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

this might be a bit controversial but i think kongming is a fun anime

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll admit that i forgot about all the sexual content in skeleton knight. it was so bland that i stopped reading it. neither of these elements makes for much of a recommendation.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

There is already a thread for gross isekai just use that for in-depth discussion past the initial episodes if no one wants to make a specific show thread :shrug:

It is funny to me how sometimes it seems like people who like something with uh, risque content either don't notice? how bad it is when talking it up or just selectively remember the good parts and not the rest and idk if it's like a desensitization thing or what. I know I have definitely forgotten about objectionable early content in longer (bl) manga that I had to backtrack on when I gave it a skim and was like, whoops that's a little yikes probably needs a heads-up CW. It's not a big deal imo to provide honest content warnings for stuff you like that has scenes that people might not want to see and should have some upfront notice before viewing. Sometimes it feels like people somehow didn't notice how raunchy something could get or deliberately downplay it to....idk make it seem more "wholesome" or something. Like, is it not wanting to acknowledge that [thing I like] is also [thing with some gross scenes]? I guess it also goes hand in hand with watching entire shows while performatively declaring "actually I hate this" the whole time lol.

I think there is a balance that can be found between gushing effusively about how great the rape isekai show of the season is without caveat and the zorak zone of forbidden shows no one may speak of and imo that involves being honest about potentially upsetting content with up-front and clear content warnings so people can draw their own conclusions, and also being able to read the room a bit and be able to determine "ok maybe this show is one I don't need to laboriously rant about in the season thread in detail after every episode" even if you're watching it for hate reasons or because you (secretly/genuinely) enjoy it. If anything, if a show compels enough of a reaction that it needs that kind of vent or dissection then it also should be getting a thread of its own where all of that can live and the folks who want to read it can hash it out in there and the season thread doesn't get derailed with it.

This hits the nail on the head really. I actually was sort of interested in the Skeleton show cuz people hyped it up as a "wholesome Dad series" and then oh. no that's not it at all and people just made all that up cuz they don't want to admit they like a show with some unsavory stuff in it?? It just hurts everyone involved imo.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just don't see a big deal about giving a CW when recommending but I do read nearly exclusively in a genre that can be a minefield of problematic tropes :v:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dogsicle posted:

easy solution to these problems: seasonal isekai get their own gross little thread separate from the actual anime

unfortunately the Executioners and Mushoku Tenseis of the genre will have to take that bullet to save us all from the rest of the posting

you know i thought including Mushoku Tensei here was enough to seal the bit but obviously i have struck a genuine segregationist nerve 😔

anyway my only desire in this situation is for people to cut back when it comes to trip reporting whatever they find offensive in episodes 2-12 of whatever show, and also to cool the handwringing when it comes to offensive elements of a show that have already been discussed. these are the things that kind of baffle me and also i feel like make the thread worse while they're happening, just repetitive fixations on the worst parts of shows.

a few recent examples of different avenues on this:

Mieruko - basically a skeleton situation where manga readers like myself were taken aback at being reminded of the fanservice also in the manga, iirc this did not get a dedicated thread but people didn't constantly bring up the dead horse after a couple eps despite continuing to watch(?).

Mushoku Tensei - boom, this baby got a thread so there was no leaking in here

Finest Assassin - the "what not to do" example, since the constant posts about it itt annoyed the crap out of me. it needed a thread or for people to drop it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

I approve of this veto

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

sb hermit posted:

was azumanga ever bad?

Azumanga is good but chiyo is like 30 now

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

sb hermit posted:

was azumanga ever bad?

Kimura was always bad. The Azumanga anime is okay. People loved it, but I think being in anime form really kills a lot of pacing of the jokes. I’m very lukewarm on the anime, but the manga is still really good. It’s also great if you buy the collection because you can really see how he improved as an artist from the beginning of the series to the end.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Black Stones posted:

Kimura was always bad. The Azumanga anime is okay. People loved it, but I think being in anime form really kills a lot of pacing of the jokes. I’m very lukewarm on the anime, but the manga is still really good. It’s also great if you buy the collection because you can really see how he improved as an artist from the beginning of the series to the end.

Yeah, the music aside, Azumanga Daioh works better in the snappy 4-koma style, and reading the entire omnibus is probably faster than watching the anime too. I always recommend the manga over the anime of Azumanga Daioh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
splitting the threads would be dumb as poo poo. i dont care about the weird rape slave isekai. i just wanna talk about stuff like shokei shoujo and i favor the villainess that i think are fun stories. i dont want discussion about shows that have proven to be more interesting than the stuff people lamely dunk on to be banished to the lame dunking thread just for sharing a story conceit.

also the only real edge the azumanga anime has is that they have good voice acting and they gave kaori more jokes but, they only gave her like two decent jokes and the rest of it is playing up kimura in a way that feels really mean spirited and cruel towards her for no reason (everyone changing classes and them showing her in kimura's class with him creepily staring at her while she's also depressed she can't sit next to sakaki anymore is like. wow uh i guess someone thought this was funny somehow) and the anniversary chapters of the manga give her funnier jokes than anything in the anime. so uh yeah just go read those

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kaori's only two jokes are "haha this girl is in love with another girl" and "ha ha, she's constantly harassed by her male teacher" which sucks poo poo, girl deserves better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bless the manga author, for realizing that the best joke to make with her would just be literally having her shout about being a lesbian and wanting to bang sakaki

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That warm feeling when lesbianism in anime goes from being a joke to being whatever the gently caress Citrus was going for.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

:dafuq:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

imped again

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

FilthyImp posted:

That warm feeling when lesbianism in anime goes from being a joke to being whatever the gently caress Citrus was going for.

It was going for a yuri story with some mild drama in it. The internet treats it like a weird pariah for some reason and I just don't get it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

what, like the same thing as a random het romcom in a given season

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i googled that anime and it seems to be about 2 stepsisters developing a relationship? kinda gross but doesn't seem particularly noteworthy, what am i missing

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It also starts off with the protagonist being a creep and kissing her stepsister in her sleep after just meeting her.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jesus Christ

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm still agreeing with Squark that imp is some 12 year old who inherited his dads SA account or something.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's a series that's trashy* in a way that folks who bring it up as a diss apropos of nothin woulda moved on from years ago if it were between a guy and a girl.

*I mean trashy in a value-neutral way, mind.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It also starts off with the protagonist being a creep and kissing her stepsister in her sleep after just meeting her.
Obviously my bias is coming through. I did enjoy the blended family drama but all the semi-consensual grey stuff was not landing for me.

dogsicle posted:

what, like the same thing as a random het romcom in a given season
Point. I did just gloss over all the poo poo in Oreimo because the supporting cast was fun.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't read or watched Citrus but it has always sounded like something you'd throw a "light noncon + stepsiblings" CW in front of and move on instead of bringing it up constantly like some kind of boogeyman to scare people with.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

i mean. she also meets her before finding out they're stepsisters, sees her being forcibly kissed by a teacher she's betrothed to against her wishes, and her step sister later forces her down on their bed and kisses her because of her deep, dark secret depression. everyone does weird stuff in citrus, it's a melodrama.

Everything Burrito posted:

I haven't read or watched Citrus but it has always sounded like something you'd throw a "light noncon + stepsiblings" CW in front of and move on instead of bringing it up constantly like some kind of boogeyman to scare people with.

yeah idk i get people not being exactly comfortable with where shows and manga like citrus and netsozure trap go. but, in the grand scheme i've seen way way way grosser shows so it's weird the way people will hyperfocus on them. it's not exactly yamibou or kuttsukiboshi

anyway i motion for a separate season thread that is the only season thread filthyimp is allowed to post in

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Citrus is good, haters vacate