Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's like when Fallout New Vegas came out and people were posting on this very forum about how they took Confirmed Bachelor and were very annoyed because they didn't know what Confirmed Bachelor refers to until they saw the dialogue choices it unlocked :laugh:

edit: One poster became a staunch defender that Confirmed Bachelor meant you were just buds a la what a naive person thinks the phrase Gal Pals means and it was great

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Apr 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mr Interweb posted:

3. sadly i heard gabby went the way of jerkules and is a major MAGA chuddette now :smith:

Are there any instances of Lucy Lawless dropping sick owns on her like she does with Kevin Sorbet?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It's like when Fallout New Vegas came out and people were posting on this very forum about how they took Confirmed Bachelor and were very annoyed because they didn't know what Confirmed Bachelor refers to until they saw the dialogue choices it unlocked :laugh:

edit: One poster became a staunch defender that Confirmed Bachelor meant you were just buds a la what a naive person thinks the phrase Gal Pals means and it was great

you're kind of underselling it, they literally started accusing everyone else for being homophobic for claiming it had gay subtext, and the lead dev jsawyer even got in on mocking them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358074&pagenumber=210&perpage=40#post383908590

quote:

drat, I thought Confirmed Bachelor would add all sorts of ultra-jock dialogue choices, not thinly veiled homo-eroticism.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Torquemada posted:

Are there any instances of Lucy Lawless dropping sick owns on her like she does with Kevin Sorbet?

not that i know of sadly. i wonder if she would do it regardless. seems she had a much better on set relationship with her than she did with sorbo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

man, this is so weird..

not for the obvious reasons. what i mean is, everything about it seems to encapsulate the late 90s style of movie trailers and yet at the same time somehow still feels out of place. it seems simultaneously fake AND authentic.

this actually reminded me of the very first scene that showed really overt signs of lesbianism. in one episode xena is dead (this would be the first of many instances), and she takes over autolycus' body so that she could relay the message to gabrielle. when this happens, the two are speaking, xena appears as she was, and she gives gabrielle instructions on how to bring her back to life. they have a heartfelt moment and xena leans in to kiss gabby and right before their lips lock, it cuts back to the real word and autolycus is kissing gabby because of course you can't show that kind of stuff on a family show!

so three things:

1. yeah the lesbian stuff was pretty loving overt. and quite early on too!
2. autolycus making out with gabby, who was like 18/19 during that time creeped me out as a kid and moreso now (and maybe technically would be just as bad if xena kissed her)
3. sadly i heard gabby went the way of jerkules and is a major MAGA chuddette now :smith:

Man, Bruce Campbell was always there in a supporting role with gay milestones on 90s tv. He’s in the episode of Ellen where she says she’s gay.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Man, Bruce Campbell was always there in a supporting role with gay milestones on 90s tv. He’s in the episode of Ellen where she says she’s gay.

whoa he was in ellen and that episode specifically? :monocle:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

whoa he was in ellen and that episode specifically? :monocle:

He played her boss at the bookstore in a recurring role. He never returned after that episode, I don’t think.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I knew a guy who picked it thinking it would make him a player, with logic along the lines of "confirmed bachelor must mean a guy who won't let himself get tied down by one girl, so he's always going to be a bachelor". Dude was very surprised to learn what he'd actually picked.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Khizan posted:

I knew a guy who picked it thinking it would make him a player, with logic along the lines of "confirmed bachelor must mean a guy who won't let himself get tied down by one girl, so he's always going to be a bachelor". Dude was very surprised to learn what he'd actually picked.

Wait, that's not what it means?
drat, I learned something new today.

On a mostly related topic, I've been enjoying online chuds realizing for the first time that Dee Snider is very pointedly not on their side and that "We're not gonna take it" was not written for them.

https://twitter.com/deesnider/status/1512689911656161280?s=20&t=lAlS3lsAeZXd8I8k14SVgQ

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Does someone have the rage tweet about "this isn't exactly what we had in mind"?
Nvm found it

https://mobile.twitter.com/tmorello/status/1324907210426642433

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

the_steve posted:

It's an outdated way of saying someone's gay back in times when saying it would be a deadly insult or actually dangerous.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Your Uncle Jim's best friend and roommate Josh that he brought to every family gathering wasn't actually his roommate either, guys.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

But they shared a room!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

pentyne posted:

you're kind of underselling it, they literally started accusing everyone else for being homophobic for claiming it had gay subtext, and the lead dev jsawyer even got in on mocking them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358074&pagenumber=210&perpage=40#post383908590

Holy loving lol.

Don't think we're ever topping this.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Holy loving lol.

Don't think we're ever topping this.

I'm a little impressed he still posts all the time, I would have probably walked into the ocean out of sheer embarrassment.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's certainly up there with the 'small pastry' and 'why would an ambulance leave the hospital' goons.

But we should all have the opportunity to own up to our dumbassedness and move on with our lives.

Except in the wee hours, when they just cringe so badly their face cramps up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

the_steve posted:

On a mostly related topic, I've been enjoying online chuds realizing for the first time that Dee Snider is very pointedly not on their side and that "We're not gonna take it" was not written for them.

https://twitter.com/deesnider/status/1512689911656161280?s=20&t=lAlS3lsAeZXd8I8k14SVgQ

The guy who was called to speak to a Senate committee as a symbol of rock and roll decadence and excess drug use, big time traditional family values eh?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
>In the late 1970s and early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating homosexuality in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy". Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that there actually was a woman named Dorothy at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel, so they launched an enormous and futile hunt for the elusive "Dorothy", hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay service members.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

pentyne posted:

The guy who was called to speak to a Senate committee as a symbol of rock and roll decadence and excess drug use, big time traditional family values eh?

All conservatives care about is how cool a song sounds when you come onto stage with it blaring like you're Santino Morella here to kick some rear end.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I AM GRANDO posted:

He played her boss at the bookstore in a recurring role. He never returned after that episode, I don’t think.

That's probably because after Ellen won an Emmy for that episode, she fired everyone, then got cancelled the next season.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ilmucche posted:

Does someone have the rage tweet about "this isn't exactly what we had in mind"?
Nvm found it

https://mobile.twitter.com/tmorello/status/1324907210426642433

Tom morello effortlessly dismantaling chuds kinda excessively rules.

https://twitter.com/tmorello/status/1269369519580930048?s=20&t=Uikgxwl1miuXmrd86wXS3A

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Iron Crowned posted:

That's probably because after Ellen won an Emmy for that episode, she fired everyone, then got cancelled the next season.
So she's just been lovely the whole time, hasn't she?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HopperUK posted:

It's an outdated way of saying someone's gay back in times when saying it would be a deadly insult or actually dangerous.

The funny thing is, Fallout New Vegas is really cool and acknowledges the historical use of the term by allowing you to apply it in the space it would have been applied in the real world back then, with the modern result- Major Knight at the Mojave Outpost appreciates civilian-you flirting with him and compensates you for it but it stays under the table. They then go on to also let you apply it in the modern real world to get a companion to join you as a hire by just flirting with the dude instead of engaging a political debate with him or series of tasks to win him over. It's just neat that they gave it more thought and nuance than "you're now gay and can sleep with male characters" because that would have been so wrong.

edit: Hell it doesn't even come down to just flirting. It allows you to act less blunt toward characters that otherwise would be annoyed by you- Jack, of the Boomers for example. You can just tell people they look nice and they'll thank you in an understanding way. Tell a guy you understand his problems because you're compassionate enough and not just looking to complete a quest:

quote:

COURIER: You've had your needs neglected for far too long, haven't you? I can tell.

MANNY: Yeah, I... everybody depends on you, you know? But they don't ask you about how you feel. What you worry about. There's something I like about you. You just seem really understanding. I was gonna ask you for a favor, but I'll just tell you what you wanna know.

And you can still ask Manny about the quest after and he's got a second line being surprised you remembered. There's so many insignificant things it adds that there is no way you can read it ANY other way than what it is, and I've always liked that.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Apr 15, 2022

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Volcott posted:

>In the late 1970s and early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating homosexuality in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy". Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that there actually was a woman named Dorothy at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel, so they launched an enormous and futile hunt for the elusive "Dorothy", hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay service members.

Dorothy is clearly an accomplice of the "Phantom of Heilbronn"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AceOfFlames posted:

Dorothy is clearly an accomplice of the "Phantom of Heilbronn"

The perfect crime...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The various options for flirting perks all have some hilarious dialogue. And they all let you hit on your own brain.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

pentyne posted:

I heard Killing in the Name at work today and just started thinking to myself, yeah this is clearly about social distancing. And the tyranny of masks.

Just like how Born in the USA is an upbeat tune about Reaganomics triumphing over the scourge of labor unions.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Do you have a source? I hadn't heard that and just checked her insta and most of her posts are more about personal and work projects, but she also posts up celebrating the confirmation of Ketanji Brown Jackson, supporting gay rights, etc.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
If I could bring back Ridley Scott chat for a minute,

Mooseontheloose posted:

The book I think is fairly clear that Deckard is human, it's been ages since I read it though.

Also hot take, Bladerunner is a boring movie that is very visually stunning.

I don't think that's a hot take at all, but the majority opinion! (a movie can be boring and still be a classic; hell they don't even necessarily have to be good)

I've mentioned before elsewhere on the forums I think it's overlooked how much the opening text crawl deflates the movie by making the replicants sympathetic right from the start rather than something the audience realizes as the story unfolds.

I'm sure Blade Runner would probably still be pretty boring regardless, but just laying it all out from the get-go that Harrison Ford is here to hunt down and kill escaped slaves just kills any chance of thrills or suspense and sets the movie up to be a depressing slog.

The workprint was less direct about it:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Alhazred posted:

Alien is probably the one movie of his where the first version basically is the director's cut. The only reason the Quadrilogy version is called the director's cut is for marketing reasons.

For added trivia, the alleged story behind this is that 20th Century Fox told Ridley Scott they were planning on releasing a "special edition" of Alien and offered him first dibs in putting one together. Scott declined but was sort of like "knock yourself out."

But when Scott got to see the proposed new edition his reaction was something like, "Wait, you just plopped those whole scenes back into the movie without accounting for pacing? You're not seriously going to release it like that, are you?" and took it upon himself to re-edit the thing into something he deemed acceptable.

So the supposed justification for the "Director's Cut" label is that it's Ridley Scott's cut of some proposed never-seen special edition of Alien.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

no poo poo? wow, legit surprised at that. good to see he was getting high profile roles at the time

Dopilsya posted:

Do you have a source? I hadn't heard that and just checked her insta and most of her posts are more about personal and work projects, but she also posts up celebrating the confirmation of Ketanji Brown Jackson, supporting gay rights, etc.

unless i'm mistaken, i believe many of the recent films/shows she's been in were produced by pureflix (the God's Not Dead people :barf: )

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Cleretic posted:

I believe there's theory that the VO is bad because Harrison Ford was trying to deliberately sabotage it.

Mister Kingdom posted:

He said he wasn't, but he's a nut, so who really knows?

CJacobs posted:

Well it's not like that's something you can really admit that you did if someone asks you. Even if there's no chance of you catching wind for it from the people who you did it to spite, a "wink wink maybe I did" is probably the best you'd get.

From the little bit we can hear from behind the scenes, Ford's pretty openly irreverent with the material. Willful sabotage, though? Hmm... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYoTnDY8tcY&t=185s

CJacobs posted:

Hahaha that's awesome, I've never seen that video before. Also I miss your old avatar.

edit: This one's a wild replacement though!

lol which one?

SidneyIsTheKiller has a new favorite as of 12:59 on Apr 16, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hahaha that's awesome, I've never seen that video before. Also I miss your old avatar.

edit: This one's a wild replacement though!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Brawnfire posted:

Eventually the technology will exist to Muppetify any movie

One flew over the cuckoo’s nest but the chief is big bird.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr Interweb posted:

Unless i'm mistaken, i believe many of the recent films/shows she's been in were produced by pureflix (the God's Not Dead people :barf: )
It looks like she's appeared in a couple of Pureflix films, but also several low budget films that are not produced by evangelicals. Her most recent credit on a pretty sparse 21st Century IMDB list is gust-starring on Lucy Lawless's Australian-produced show "My Life is Murder", which led to the two of them doing an interview together last year.

Choice quotes include:

O'CONNOR: "We had just survived an insurrection! (If you want to say we survived it.) The last thing on my mind was that Lucy would invite me to New Zealand to film on her television show. It was just like a dream."

Based on her Instagram, she does a lot of work with local theater (teaching and performing), and she's pretty quiet on social media but her "political" statements on IG scrolling through are mostly reposts of things congratulating/memorializing Ketanji Brown Jackson, John Lewis, Kamala Harris, Amanda Gorman, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, etc. Along with pro-Pride/Black Lives Matter/Juneteenth/Voting Rights reposts. I wouldn't be surprised if she's some vein of devout Christian and has some centrist-to-conservative views, but she doesn't seem like she's Kevin Sorbo Level Chud in any way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If she had the Kevin Sorbo disease, she definitely wouldn’t be quiet on social media. A key element of the pathology is that they can’t shut the gently caress up about it ever, which is a big part of what makes them so difficult to deal with.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Like Gina Carano who hosed up eternal Disney dollars because she couldn't stop with the bullshit on twitter.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Edge & Christian posted:

her "political" statements on IG scrolling through are mostly reposts of things congratulating/memorializing Ketanji Brown Jackson, John Lewis, Kamala Harris, Amanda Gorman, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, etc. Along with pro-Pride/Black Lives Matter/Juneteenth/Voting Rights reposts.

i think that this means you can safely say she's not anything resembling a modern republican, lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Like Gina Carano who hosed up eternal Disney dollars because she couldn't stop with the bullshit on twitter.

Reportedly Pedro Pascal (who has a trans sister) took her aside and tried to explain why she was being lovely and she still doubled down on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Mr Interweb posted:

unless i'm mistaken, i believe many of the recent films/shows she's been in were produced by pureflix (the God's Not Dead people :barf: )

Tbh I think actors at a certain level are just glad for the work. Those fundie projects that a lot of lower-tier stars end up in reportedly pay well for what they are.