Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the easiest way i find to remember the difference is that something that's put into play already attacking skipped over the step where you 'tell' it to attack, not existing at the point where "when a/this creature attacks" is relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Slightly better Fiend Hunter that scales into multiplayer and can sometimes do shenanigans with your own board. Not bad at all.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:tif:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Pays to be lucky sometimes.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

LeafHouse posted:

14 damage total

Cavalcade triggers to deal 2
Adeline creates a tapped and attacking 1/1 token
You connect with a pair of 4/4 Adeline’s, a 3/2 Delina and a 1/1 token.

The triggers are all set off when you declare the already existing creature an attacker so ninjas and those tokens don’t trigger Cavalcade damage.

flatluigi posted:

the easiest way i find to remember the difference is that something that's put into play already attacking skipped over the step where you 'tell' it to attack, not existing at the point where "when a/this creature attacks" is relevant
thanks. it always feels very counter-intuitive to me. like it shouldn't matter if it was declared an attacker and that that should only matter if the card says, "was declared an attacker" or something like that. less ambiguous. imo.

anyways a leak(?)

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 15, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

more commander cards from a leaked precon

regular set cards

regular set commander:

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 15, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is that mythic WUBRG sorcery any good?

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

man big. Big lad
love the pun, can you choose the same option twice since it doesn't say pick two different choices?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Weird it doesn't repeat the full card name at the end

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Captain Invictus posted:

Is that mythic WUBRG sorcery any good?

love the pun, can you choose the same option twice since it doesn't say pick two different choices?

Commands forces you to choose two different modes according to the rules so I guess not?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Weird it doesn't repeat the full card name at the end

It's common for cards with a lot of text and long names when they refer to themselves.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Sickening posted:

Jund getting so much love this set.

A+ art reference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunch_atop_a_Skyscraper

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Are you required to sing the song when Jolene ETBs?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I'm begging of you, please don't

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Captain Invictus posted:

I was under the impression that the default for modal spells where you can choose more than one mode is that each choice has to be different unless the spell explicitly states that you can choose the same mode more than once.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I'm begging of you, please don't

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Strong Sauce posted:

thanks. it always feels very counter-intuitive to me. like it shouldn't matter if it was declared an attacker and that that should only matter if the card says, "was declared an attacker" or something like that. less ambiguous. imo.

anyways a leak(?)

How the gently caress does this still happen in 2022. HOW???? It's so much harder to make a picture look like poo poo like this than it is to actually take a picture.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
Now, THAT's a bear.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

God drat that thing is a powerhouse. Turn 3 swing for 2 then play a 4 drop angel that comes in with 2 +1/+1 counters on it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

boblemoche posted:

Now, THAT's a bear.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LeafHouse posted:

God drat that thing is a powerhouse. Turn 3 swing for 2 then play a 4 drop angel that comes in with 2 +1/+1 counters on it.

Just one +1/+1 from Giada, right?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Devor posted:

Just one +1/+1 from Giada, right?

I think that's right since it's entering the battlefield with the counter, not receiving it as a trigger after it enters the battlefield?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

boblemoche posted:

Now, THAT's a bear.

God drat this is going to make the Historic/Alchemy angel deck so much better

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
How would Giada work with the new Elspeth's ult? Would each angel get 1 or 5 counters?

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Two +1/+1 counters in Modern and Historic, T1 Segovian Angel :sickos:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

God drat this is going to make the Historic/Alchemy angel deck so much better

Yes it is, and I'm loving stoked for it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

boblemoche posted:

Now, THAT's a bear.

There it is, my mono-white Avacyn Angel/Sweeper tribal commander deck shoe in from this set.

Am I having a stroke? I feel like the intent of this card is "...for each player, exile up to one other target creature they control until..." but the word salad templating reads like an Oblivion Plague Wind Ring for 3 CMC.

At uncommon this is gonna cause so many loving judge calls.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TipTow posted:

Yes it is, and I'm loving stokeddejected for it.

I already can't beat a Bishop of wings and now this!?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Am I having a stroke? I feel like the intent of this card is "...for each player, exile up to one target creature they control until..." but the word salad templating reads like an Oblivion Plague Wind Ring for 3 CMC.

It has to exclude itself.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
OK but seriously I can't wait to pair her with Geist of St Traft, which will suck except that one time.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

orangelex44 posted:

It has to exclude itself.

LOL I caught that and edited to put "other" in there just as you were posting this.

Someones gonna get a fat pack of this for their kitchen table matches and make their little brother stop playing the game with his 3 mana one sided board sweeper reading the card as its written.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's also templated to avoid the pre-errata hostage taker infinite loop

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I think that's right since it's entering the battlefield with the counter, not receiving it as a trigger after it enters the battlefield?

Oh yeah, my mistake. That’s an unusual way to template this sort of ability.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

I already can't beat a Bishop of wings and now this!?

Rampaging Ferocidon and Roiling Vortex are your friends.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Is that really the cleanest they can get it, though? "Any number... controlled by other players" doesn't really make it clear at all that it's one per player which seems really, really important to communicate in rules text. "For each player, Up to 1 target other than ~"

This makes Ice Cauldron look like as direct and easy to read as a stop sign.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Owlbear Camus posted:

LOL I caught that and edited to put "other" in there just as you were posting this.

Someones gonna get a fat pack of this for their kitchen table matches and make their little brother stop playing the game with his 3 mana one sided board sweeper reading the card as its written.

You could target every creature on the board, except for the clause "... controlled by different players..." which is modifying the "target creatures".

If you incorrectly interpret the phrase "different player" to mean "opponent" then yeah you're hosed, but "different" is not a new word to magic.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TipTow posted:

Rampaging Ferocidon and Roiling Vortex are your friends.

I hate the soul sister/angel archetype so much I made a deck that is just packed with hosers for it strictly to queue, meet it, and put it into the ground that's only incidentally good against other decks if at all.

Mono white lifegain is just ridic IMO. It goes over the top so quickly just off curving out 3 creature cards that aren't immediately answered.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

There it is, my mono-white Avacyn Angel/Sweeper tribal commander deck shoe in from this set.

Am I having a stroke? I feel like the intent of this card is "...for each player, exile up to one other target creature they control until..." but the word salad templating reads like an Oblivion Plague Wind Ring for 3 CMC.

At uncommon this is gonna cause so many loving judge calls.

Magic designers are getting way too "clever" about templating cards. They want a card to do this cool thing, but there's no clean way to write this relatively simple effect under the current templating rules, so they end up with this Magic Programming Language thing that in no way can be parsed by someone new to the game. As bizarre as some Alpha wording was, we've come out the other end of it where it takes seven lines of text explain things.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The thing that's got me really hosed up is on other recent cards they've shown they're perfectly willing to be imprecise with clear templating that "just works" for the sake of brevity/clarity:

"Equip Planeswalker."
"Exile graveyard" (vs. exile the contents of the graveyard-- you can't exile a zone.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LifeLynx posted:

Magic designers are getting way too "clever" about templating cards. They want a card to do this cool thing, but there's no clean way to write this relatively simple effect under the current templating rules, so they end up with this Magic Programming Language thing that in no way can be parsed by someone new to the game. As bizarre as some Alpha wording was, we've come out the other end of it where it takes seven lines of text explain things.

i think someone asked maro about this on his blog and his explanation made perfect sense, which was basically "look we've been doing this for 25 years, the simple and fun stuff was all done a decade ago"