Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

What's the nonstick coating on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I honestly couldn't tell you, only that I've been happy with it. I use my stainless pans for the vast majority of cooking and save that for eggs or other delicate things that don't need high temp. I have done stuff like melting sugar in it, etc., and it has been great. I'm by no means an expert in the topic, but switching from lovely non-stick pans that I went through every year to all-clad stainless with that as my only non-stick has been really great. Definitely opened up cooking quite a bit for me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I have one of these and I love it. Had it about 2-3 years now and it looks brand new.

https://www.all-clad.com/d5-stainless-polished-5-ply-bonded-cookware-nonstick-ultimate-egg-pan-9-inch.html

I'm the aluminum core that they could only come up with the one talking point about so they repeat it vs the stainless steel that gets two points

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Look okay if it doesn't have 12 blades it's literally unusable as a razor.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Thoroughly clad

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

um excuse me posted:

Oh yea, I get emails for these promotions but its the first time I've gotten one while bookmarking this thread

https://homeandcooksales.com/

is this worth signing up for? also, what is it? they're pretty tightlipped on the site.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

is this worth signing up for? also, what is it? they're pretty tightlipped on the site.

You get an email when All-Clad is starting a factory seconds sale, which happen ad-hoc. If you’re interested in buying all-clad cookware basically at any point then it’s worth checking. Usually stuff is 50% or more off and it’s usually because the packaging is dented (absolutely no difference in the hardware inside from brand-new) or the hardware has a minor cosmetic defect that won’t affect the performance. I’ve gotten a couple things from them before and it’s well worth it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's a scratch and dent sale, basically. The warning just says these things are not in new condition, but functional, and that all sales are final. My pan, on Amazon for $250, was $100 when this sale was active.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
gotcha and thanks. I'll join the list just in case... I got a workhorse Tramontina set so long ago that it was purchased in a department store but I could definitely be suckered into cheap new All-Clad

ad-hoc All-Clad would be a pretty good username

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I got a d5 3qt saute pan + lid from that sale a couple years ago for $100. Normally goes for $250-300. It was marked as scratched or something but I couldn't tell you what was wrong with it and it is my favorite pan.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

What's the nonstick coating on that?

it’s teflon just like the majority of non-stick. cheaper pans seem to have a thinner or less durable layer, but good quality teflon (which you don’t need to spend all-clad money for) can last a fairly long time as long as you don’t use metal tools or overheat it. tri-ply is wasteful in a non-stick pan but not in a way that matters

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Next sale I’m getting one of those high-walled but sloped saucepans, hopefully a d5. I really love cooking on All-Clad stuff.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Funny enough, All Clad just launched another sale!

https://homeandcooksales.com/

Edit: Currently drooling over this:

I already have an All Clad D5 SS 12 inch pan, but this one is copper core

Lawnie posted:

Next sale I’m getting one of those high-walled but sloped saucepans, hopefully a d5. I really love cooking on All-Clad stuff.

Talking about this? It looks awesome.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 14, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

hypnophant posted:

tri-ply is wasteful in a non-stick pan but not in a way that matters

Not if you use induction burners. Pretty much all induction ready nonstick are multi layered designs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
How did "hot spots" become THE marketing angle for pots and pans? I've never had a real problem with uneven pan heat. I just want stuff that's easy to clean.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

No Wave posted:

How did "hot spots" become THE marketing angle for pots and pans? I've never had a real problem with uneven pan heat. I just want stuff that's easy to clean.

Because it's something that most people can't reasonably check at home, but it gives them an excuse to blame their existing cookware and replace it with something shiny and new.

"Let's look at this cast iron pan under an IR camera. See those hot spots? That's why your food cooks unevenly and half of it gets on the plate burnt, the other half undercooked. Let's now look at this 19 ply stainless/aluminum/copper/cobalt pan. See? No hot spots! Even cooking! Your family will love you! On sale for only $999!"

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

I have a glasstop stove, non induction, that requires pans to not warp and be very flat. I regularly have to take a mallet to my Calphalon anodized nonstick stuff and it drives me insane. I dont shock my cookware unless I'm deglazing so I'm not abusing them either. If I don't not only do I get a hot spot in my pan, it also takes longer to cook and get pans to temp. This is why gas ranges are king. They do not care at all if your pan is $10 or $500, it heats it quickly and evenly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh - so people might have slightly warped pans and the immediate explanation that occurs to them is that the pan has hot spots. That makes some sense, warping is definitely a real thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I would think that good cooks care more about hot spots than easy to clean. Every pan is easy to clean if you take care of it/cook right. Not every pan heats evenly which is a pain in the dick if you're trying to get a good sear/not scorch things.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

In my experience every pan does heat more or less evenly. But I get that there are potentially terrible burners out there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cast iron tends not to heat very evenly at all. Modern tri ply stuff does though,

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Honestly I would think that good cooks care more about hot spots than easy to clean. Every pan is easy to clean if you take care of it/cook right. Not every pan heats evenly which is a pain in the dick if you're trying to get a good sear/not scorch things.

My stainless steel pan took some time to get used to. It needs to be preheated and oiled more heavily than nonstick. Even then eventually the food will stick. But I just hit it with a blue scrub pad and barkeepers friend and its just as easy to clean as a non stick. I don't gently caress with stuck food and with let it soak for a couple hours if needed. I batch cook and meal prep, so having a clean pan available is only required a couple of times a week for me.

But sometimes when the moon and stars are in alignment...
https://i.imgur.com/6V2HrUl.mp4

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

:hai:

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

My apartment has a pretty decent gas stove, but the burner elements themselves have pretty bad hot spots where the gap is for the igniter. Even my good pans heat unevenly, but they're way better than the last cheap thin one I still have.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The dawn power wash stuff that comes in a spray bottle is great for cleaning stainless. It’s also great for cleaning seasoned cast iron.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lawnie posted:

The dawn power wash stuff that comes in a spray bottle is great for cleaning stainless. It’s also great for cleaning seasoned cast iron.
Just dilute dish soap with water and put it in a spray bottle. This is the best way to use dish soap in general unless you're filling your sink with water.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ninja Creami demonstration:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7085542040519413035

Looks tempting

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like mine. For something that costs 1/20th of a Pacojet it does a drat good job.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If I hadn't bought a condenser ice cream maker two years ago I would totally buy one of these things

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Thoroughly clad
mostly clad. kinda clad?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Parclad?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

a little bit clad. as a treat

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Grabbed a 3 qt d3 saute pan for like 30% of retail, thanks thread

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If you are like me you'll find it hard to mess up that flawless finish by cooking with it. They're beautiful out of the box.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'm the aluminum core that they could only come up with the one talking point about so they repeat it vs the stainless steel that gets two points

One rapidly heats up up, the other rapidly heats up down

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Recs for a mandoline?

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Related, recs for a safety glove for a bad mandoline user?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Flaggy posted:

Recs for a mandoline?

benriner

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Related, recs for a safety glove for a bad mandoline user?

i have a pair of these

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

hypnophant posted:

i have a pair of these

Yeah I just got a big assortment of cut resistant gloves. I usually have to throw them in the dirty laundry afterwards because they have veggie juice on them but that's easier to clean than blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
IMO the benrier is not worth buying at all