Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm looking for a strategy/tactics game I can sink my teeth into a little bit that isn't gacha, is there anything good on android or am I outta luck there
Ever tried Polytopia? It's basically 95% tactics, 5% strategy. You only pay to make the game longer or slightly more varied. You can play the game completely for free without any nags. The DLC just adds more nations to choose from and compete against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Seems fun, thanks! I'll definitely give that a go.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I usually go on a strategy game deep dive on android every few years and the pickings are pretty slim but there's a few I've loved.

Templar Battleforce RPG is a great little tactics RPG made by possibly my favourite indie devs. 40k themed, mechanically satisfying and overall very well designed. The art isn't great but it plays a lot better than it looks. The demo is here.

Dungeon Maker - The Card game is a really unique and satisfying strategy game. It does have some slight gacha elements but as a b2p game, it's not bad. You can't pull doubles so you'll eventually unlock everything. If the design puts you off, it might not be right for you because it sure does lean into it, but it's a serious strategy game and it just keeps getting deeper for a long time. Unbelievably satisfying and it will eat up as much time as you want it to.

Legion War is a game that's pretty heavily inspired by Advance Wars. Free with IAP to unlock different races and has some permanent progression that's grindy without premium currency, but I never found purchases necessary to 3* every level.

Legion War - Hero Age is another game by the same guys, but it's more of a strategy/4x game. Plays a bit like the free indie game, Battle for Wesnoth (which is also on Android btw). I don't know why the reviews are so low. There's some attempts at mobile monetization that feel a little bit gross but like with the first game, I always felt like that was added on top of a perfectly complete game. The game is pretty in depth though, and the UI suffers for it.

And if you haven't delved the well yet, emulators is probably the best bang for your buck you can get for non-gacha strategy games. The above games have served me well but 95% of my strategy gaming on android has been through emulators for good reason.

Jul 20, 2006
I know it's been mentioned elsewhere, but just to say that I had bounced off the Siralim series on previous goes but I picked up Siralim Ultimate and have sunk 12+ hours into it already. So those who have bounced off previous entries might want to give it a go.

For those unfamiliar, it's a Pokemon-style monster trainer RPG. Ultimate seems to get you into the action with less tutorial hassle than previous entries. And I think I understand the game a lot better after reading that the whole point is to stack all sorts of broken mechanics in your favour - because your enemies do the same thing. It's quite fun putting all the mechanics together to create an ever-more-busted team of monsters.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Lol at "become ten attractive DARK LORDS for PROTECT THE DUNGEON"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Merge Mayor is the only one that has felt fine for me. I think I started in late November and I'm at "end game" already and there wasn't really a moment where I felt completely stalled. I threw $5 at it just to support them but honestly that felt extremely optional.

How the hell does one earn gold in this game? Is it pretty much hoping to get gold on the board that you can merge to get more?

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 11, 2022

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010

explosivo posted:

How the hell does one earn gold in this game? Is it pretty much hoping to get gold on the board that you can merge to get more?

After you get enough Mayor points you get a daily bonus crate with a bunch of currency or from the crates you get from leveling up. Otherwise it's from letting the bubbles expire that show up from merging stuff

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pyrofreak421 posted:

After you get enough Mayor points you get a daily bonus crate with a bunch of currency or from the crates you get from leveling up. Otherwise it's from letting the bubbles expire that show up from merging stuff

Oh like the ones for materials that have a timer to watch an ad to get?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

I saw that too recently and had a hearty lol about it.

I got my spouse into Dicey Elementalists and he's played more than me already. Still solid game. Does anyone know how active it's been on new content/updates? I think my spouse is gonna run out of poo poo to do soon and asked me if I knew.

I don't know about their roadmap or anything but it keeps opening more and more stuff for me. Mostly through the guy you can spend the green gems at. I have opened the 2nd character which if free (needs the green gems but they can be won) and haven't bought the other 2 characters yet. I probably will at some point though as I am enjoying it still and want to support the devs.

I have noticed an ad bar at the top now which wasn't there when I started playing but it is ignorable. And the ads between areas are short and only happen after playing like 20 rounds when you change to a new area.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Gentleman Baller posted:

Dungeon Maker - The Card game is a really unique and satisfying strategy game. It does have some slight gacha elements but as a b2p game, it's not bad. You can't pull doubles so you'll eventually unlock everything. If the design puts you off, it might not be right for you because it sure does lean into it, but it's a serious strategy game and it just keeps getting deeper for a long time. Unbelievably satisfying and it will eat up as much time as you want it to.

Dungeon Maker's aesthic aside, it goes HARD on the strategy side. You have very little control during battles aside from your dark lord's abilities, so it's all about setting up the right rooms combo'd with the right monsters. You're limited by room slots, but there's also entire mechanics later on for kidnapping/converting heroes, either into working for you or turning them into unique weapons to give to your creatures.

Despite being gatcha you can't double pull anything, you don't have to bring everything you've unlocked with you. If you're building for a specific trap type, you'll removing a bunch of the rooms that don't go into that, and possibly some monsters that don't fit well into that strategy.

It's also completely willing to completely redo things that aren't working (it recently killed it's entire level structure and rebuilt it?) and just get weird with it. There's also per-run modifiers you can add to up the difficulty and your XP game, ala Dungeon Warfare II.

There is a 'decency' mode that turns down the anime (sounds especially) some, but it's still pretty freaking anime. If it grabs you, it's something you can easily pour a year or more into. Just in general it goes HARD. It's also pretty fair about the monetization. You can unlock almost everything with the in game currency except costumes and a couple of other things. I think 1 or 2 of the playable characters might be cash locked, and there's a rogue-lite mode they've added since the last time i played that appears to be cash only... but is also a whopping $3.99.

It's even nice about the gatcha element. The core gameplay loop is "start a run, finish a run, get in game currency, spend that in game currency on unlocking more stuff'. But you get a choice of 3 options on every draw, so you're very rarely stuck with something you don't want, and after you unlock enough of a card pack, you unlock the next one. There's a ton to unlock, but you get a couple free pulls every day, plus a good run will get you 10+ pulls, so it goes quickly. I haven't played in a while and booted it up and had 22 pulls just sitting there.

You'll generally want to finish or almost finish a pack before moving up a tier. The first one includes most of the playable character unlocks, unique monsters, chance of getting low level equipment down, that sort of thing. The next one is worth dipping into a little early because it includes 3x battle speed, and expanding your dungeon size from 3x5 to 5x5, but also includes a bunch of unique weapons. 3rd pack is more about improving your existing stuff, lots of relics that buff character specific skills... but also the ability to exclude not just things you've unlocked, but the basics you start with. Pull that lovely arrow trap out and just NEVER see it again. They're up to like 8 packs getting more specialized and weird.

quote:

And if you haven't delved the well yet, emulators is probably the best bang for your buck you can get for non-gacha strategy games. The above games have served me well but 95% of my strategy gaming on android has been through emulators for good reason.

The mobile port of FF Tactics is still, well, a mobile port of the Vita version of FFT. But on the plus side it's got pretty decent touch support and is FFT.

Sega also has a Shining In The Darkness/Shining Force/Shining Force 2 pack that's pretty solid and has good savestate support.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

explosivo posted:

Oh like the ones for materials that have a timer to watch an ad to get?

That's the ones. Keep a few spots open for gold and xp (and Easter eggs these days) and make sure to max them out. I've earned 5k or so, and that's a respectable sum for not paying any real money. Just takes a bit to get going.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Black Griffon posted:

That's the ones. Keep a few spots open for gold and xp (and Easter eggs these days) and make sure to max them out. I've earned 5k or so, and that's a respectable sum for not paying any real money. Just takes a bit to get going.

drat, okay that's good to know. I wasn't doing that at all. Thank you!

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

explosivo posted:

drat, okay that's good to know. I wasn't doing that at all. Thank you!

To follow up, when you've played long enough you get cows who auto generate milk which merges up to cheese. It's recommended to keep a pile around for passive income. It's all very slow and steady but does add up in an appreciable way. Also be pretty ruthless with the sell button, free space is by far the most important resource. I get a pile from just selling stuff I don't need from working on things I do need.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thank you, that really was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. I had been watching the ads for all of them and I guess I didn't realize it was the bubble expiring on the gem only ones that was making the coins on the board.

Last question (for now), what's the best thing to spend gems on?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Merge Mayor: I feel like an absolute idiot, but my current (very early) available missions both require construction type items. All I can seem to produce is fruit and wood. I can see construction type items on the board, but they're unavailable with yellow construction tape in the icon corners.

Did I miss something on how to unlock the next type of item? I don't have any unopened chests or whatever they're called.

Edit: Never mind, I guess I had to use a battery item (despite not needing one) to reveal the pallet beneath. I must have missed some tip that suggested that?

incogneato fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 11, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Don't feel bad, this got me too. They don't really explain that you have to put your items down in the order you unlocked them. I did a bunch of googling looking for the same thing until I realized it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

explosivo posted:

Last question (for now), what's the best thing to spend gems on?

I spend them exclusively on storage. Spending it on other stuff might speed things up, but it feels far less permanent.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
How did Dungeon Maker change its leveling system? I always liked it because it’s kinda like a tower defense system but I recall something where you are supposed to end your game at day 100 for a long rear end time and it grew tiresome for me.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Hand Row posted:

How did Dungeon Maker change its leveling system? I always liked it because it’s kinda like a tower defense system but I recall something where you are supposed to end your game at day 100 for a long rear end time and it grew tiresome for me.

I don't know exactly what they did to it, but on a fresh install I did a 100 day run and a 300 day run and I unlocked all the base cards and half 1st expansion cards and half the difficulties. :psyduck:

So yeah they fixed that lol.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I saw that too recently and had a hearty lol about it.

I got my spouse into Dicey Elementalists and he's played more than me already. Still solid game. Does anyone know how active it's been on new content/updates? I think my spouse is gonna run out of poo poo to do soon and asked me if I knew.

Apparently there's a big update with more characters and endless mode out on iOS, but I don't know if it'll come to android. Presumably?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
The store in Dicey Elementalist has an SVIP upgrade that says "Revive with No ad!". Does it remove the rest of the ads too? On my phone the banner ad covers half of the enemy's special ability and is very annoying. No ads is something I'd pay for, but if it only removes one ad out of many, they can pound sand.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Hand Row posted:

Yeah, the old levels 1-10 and 11-20 are down to 3 or 4 difficulty levels.

I played around with the new story mode and rogue lite mode last night.

Story Mode isn't particularly hard and is only 40 days long, but it does have like 9 different endings + a few fail state endings, so it's kind of a visual novel "look up the right choices" situation. It's very very resource limited with monster permadeath, so it's a slightly different little challenge. There's a unique dark lord locked behind it so it might be worth messing with.

Rogue Lite is... I see why they did it, it's fun to mess around with, but it's slower and not particularly deep so far. Every time you play you get to unlock a little more it seems like... except you can already do that in the main game? It comes across as more experimental. $3.99 for an experimental fork of the game is about the upper price limit, and the rest of the game is pretty accessable without paying a cent, so it's fine.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Gentleman Baller posted:

Legion War is a game that's pretty heavily inspired by Advance Wars. Free with IAP to unlock different races and has some permanent progression that's grindy without premium currency, but I never found purchases necessary to 3* every level.

Does this game have asynchronous multiplayer? I've been missing playing async strategy games, I'm wondering if there's anything new out there. Used to play Uniwar a ton which was great but I think I'd like something fresh and new.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Can anyone reccomend some non Gacha RPGs on android? I perfer ones that have at least some story as well as those which are not just ports of console/non mobile games.

Giant Octopus
Feb 23, 2015
Dungeon Maker-
I remember playing this ages ago and would love to give it a shot again and see what all has changed. Is there an up-to-date guide or something anywhere? Things seem to be different enough from my last experience that I don't really have any idea what is still relevant.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Giant Octopus posted:

Dungeon Maker-
I remember playing this ages ago and would love to give it a shot again and see what all has changed. Is there an up-to-date guide or something anywhere? Things seem to be different enough from my last experience that I don't really have any idea what is still relevant.

The Wiki has some pretty good info, but it's... dense.

https://duma-eng.fandom.com/wiki/Dungeon_Maker_Wiki

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Does this game have asynchronous multiplayer? I've been missing playing async strategy games, I'm wondering if there's anything new out there. Used to play Uniwar a ton which was great but I think I'd like something fresh and new.

It's possible but the multiplayer is completely dead, and the game doesn't really feel built for multiplayer anyway. Securing the win is needlessly annoying vs humans.

It's not new or fresh to most, but if you wanted to play some Advance Wars style async multiplayer, Advance Wars By Web is doing pretty good and that works on Android, but yeah the pickings are very slim.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
so who decided that it was ok to advertise gameplay not represented in the games advertised and why did everyone jump on that bandwagon

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Snazzy Frocks posted:

so who decided that it was ok to advertise gameplay not represented in the games advertised and why did everyone jump on that bandwagon

Wait you're saying every game isn't a game about pulling pins to either dump lava or coins on a hot babe?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Some of them are about dragging low value stick figures up through a tower of progressively higher value stick figures and inexplicably choosing the one that gets them killed every single time!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Snazzy Frocks posted:

ad agencies that are paid based on clickthrough rate and no other metrics

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Someone brought up Evony earlier, because they've really gone hard on the "this is the REAL pull the pin game" angle which is hilarious. I checked their reviews and it's full of people saying "I want to play the puzzles but i have to do some stupid city building thing, just let me play the puzzles!" and the devs are paying somebody to reply to every single review to reiterate that the puzzles are really in the game, and they have to keep playing. They did actually add some kind of puzzles, from what I can tell, but of course it's just a side thing you do occasionally that has nothing to do with the real, pay to win city building game that evony has always been.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GetDunked posted:

Some of them are about dragging low value stick figures up through a tower of progressively higher value stick figures and inexplicably choosing the one that gets them killed every single time!

I would play this but I've yet to find one that doesn't just poo poo ads out constantly and I'm not that hard up for a time wasting game

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

They just did a thing about this on Giantbomb actually and dove into some of the theory behind it. The video itself is.. fine.. but it is a pretty fascinating topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC05HffzZYI

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Is there actually a game that does the "ride a tractor through something to collect money, upgrade the tractor" gameplay loop that's so common in these ads?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there actually a game that does the "ride a tractor through something to collect money, upgrade the tractor" gameplay loop that's so common in these ads?

Yeah, the war in Ukraine

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I saw the worst one the other day with some guy BADLY LIP SYNCING over a narrator pretending he's a friend of mine, telling me how great some bullshit game was.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The "I finally found the game" ad for Evony that will not stop showing up on youtube has some real fuckin bad lip syncing

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Shortest Path posted:

The "I finally found the game" ad for Evony that will not stop showing up on youtube has some real fuckin bad lip syncing

When your ad agency is Fiverr...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AlexDeGruven posted:

When your ad agency is Fiverr...

Exactly.