Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

seiferguy posted:

Man, that sucks, Leper. I had to go to my future in laws because they kept getting emails from some spammer who claimed they had his password (and they listed a password) and hacked into his Webcam and recorded jerking off, and would delete the video if they sent $500 in bitcoin.

Turns out they were using the password from the enterprise rent a car data breach as I was able to access where that password was. He doesn't use the password anymore.

One thing I can't figure out is that their wave cable email is suddenly getting a bunch of bounce back emails from really weird email addresses, so someone is masking their email address somewhere. Dunno how to stop it, though.

One of the best things you can do for an elderly computer user is to just get them a Gmail address and have them stop using whatever crummy email system their ISP provides. Gmail is going to have way better spam/scam filtering and better protection against malicious users spoofing their address causing bouncebacks like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

All of this makes me very happy my MiL is overly suspicious of everything. I'd much rather listen to stories about how the person who asked if she could jump their car at the grocery store was probably trying to scam her instead of stories about her actually getting scammed.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Someone a tried this on my Grandmother one time. Trying to explain to a 90 year old woman who doesn’t own a mobile phone and never touched a computer in her life to buy apple gift cards to pay HMRC didn’t get far.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s more common than you think. They then flip the gift cards for 80-90% of face value and pocket the cash.

These fuckers prey on lonely old women. I’ve seen someone taken for more than that in fraudulent credit card purchases for a guy online promising her the world but just scamming the gently caress out of her. She got criminal charges because she was suckered by a con man while feeling lonely.

Oh believe me this I know. I have a colleague who specializes in elder abuse, I’ve just never seen someone try the gift card scam for TWENTY THOUSAND

That’s brutal. Thankful for the clerks for watching out for common sensibilities

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
And don’t feel bad leper my moms the kinda woman who would’ve argued with the cashier and demanded the gift cards “just to be safe”

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

One of the best things you can do for an elderly computer user is to just get them a Gmail address and have them stop using whatever crummy email system their ISP provides. Gmail is going to have way better spam/scam filtering and better protection against malicious users spoofing their address causing bouncebacks like that.

Yeah, that was basically our advice, plus if they ever decide to change ISPs (unlikely but you never know) they don't have stuff tied to it. My parents are dealing with changing their ISP now and transferring everything they've had on that email address has been a massive pain.

LeeMajors posted:

Making him admit to him future son-in-law that he had jerked off in front of that webcam is the :discourse: subtext here.

I think if someone tried to blackmail me with jerkoff footage i'd laugh. No one wants to watch that and I freely admit to jerking off for, oh, something like 25 years now. Like every other human on the planet.

It's wild how frequently I get spam calls these days. I feel like it fell off to basically nothing a few years back but some days I get like 15 or 20 calls.

He called his daughter first (my fiancée) and was like "someone said they've been watching me on my webcam, I don't anything weird though!" so lol, but I did a quick Google search and it's a pretty common scam that someone takes your email /password from breached database thinking they've captured you.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Blowjob Overtime posted:

All of this makes me very happy my MiL is overly suspicious of everything. I'd much rather listen to stories about how the person who asked if she could jump their car at the grocery store was probably trying to scam her instead of stories about her actually getting scammed.

My mom is so overly suspicious that if I email her or text her a link she will call me to confirm I sent it if I don't put in some random bit of trivia so that she knows it's me. The other day I sent her a link for something for her dog and I put the little league team I played on and position I played in fifth grade

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, that was basically our advice, plus if they ever decide to change ISPs (unlikely but you never know) they don't have stuff tied to it. My parents are dealing with changing their ISP now and transferring everything they've had on that email address has been a massive pain.

He called his daughter first (my fiancée) and was like "someone said they've been watching me on my webcam, I don't anything weird though!" so lol, but I did a quick Google search and it's a pretty common scam that someone takes your email /password from breached database thinking they've captured you.

I had someone send me that webcam blackmail email a few months ago. I just ignored it. If all my friends got a video of me jerking off, they were polite enough not to mention it to me.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spoeank posted:

My mom is so overly suspicious that if I email her or text her a link she will call me to confirm I sent it if I don't put in some random bit of trivia so that she knows it's me. The other day I sent her a link for something for her dog and I put the little league team I played on and position I played in fifth grade

https://youtu.be/xCUO0261LcM

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bird in a Blender posted:

I had someone send me that webcam blackmail email a few months ago. I just ignored it. If all my friends got a video of me jerking off, they were polite enough not to mention it to me.

Jokes on the scammers, I'm an exhibitionist

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Half day for Good Friday. Already done with work for the day. Time to have a beer with lunch.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I got lucky and don't have to last minute fly to Spokane today to pick up a kid. So far Friday is off to a fun start.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Confirmed that UKR sank it.

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1515004423268937732?t=GTZTMRAL8rdOa08Yq-S89A&s=19

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Was such a weird thing... like option B was the russian navy was so incompetent they managed to blow up their own munition stockpile?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

Making him admit to him future son-in-law that he had jerked off in front of that webcam is the :discourse: subtext here.

I think if someone tried to blackmail me with jerkoff footage i'd laugh. No one wants to watch that and I freely admit to jerking off for, oh, something like 25 years now. Like every other human on the planet.

It's wild how frequently I get spam calls these days. I feel like it fell off to basically nothing a few years back but some days I get like 15 or 20 calls.

I got one of those but it said something like "we recorded you having sex with your webcam!" and I was like "tricks on you fucker, I'd have to have had sex :smug:"

:smith:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Yeah. She uses an ancient at&t account because she worked for them for 40 years. She also has a yahoo email she set up like 15 years ago. My wife at least taught her how to use webmail, so we didn't have to cope with trying to get her to migrate off of eudora and onto thunderbird or something. And that means her email is all on the server, thankfully. But she already has 2 accounts and is resistant to switching everything to a third. She also read somewhere about gmail accounts being unsecure because google shows you ads based on your email or something, which... is kinda true... but I'll maybe try again.

My wife says she has very little of importance on the lap top. One spreadsheet she uses, but no important family photos or whatever, so I think I will just wipe it completely tomorrow.

The way she explained it to my wife, the scammers told her she was actively being hacked and her account was in danger, and the way to secure it was to cash out onto gift cards and then read them the gift card numbers and this would somehow counteract the online transactions by being faster than them. Somehow my mother in law did not think to just call her drat bank. She does everything on the phone, which is both a blessing and a curse - the fact she had called the scammers rather than vice-versa was key (but of course, she'd called them by using a number on a popup on her browser designed to look like an alarming windows alert) so she thought she was talking to a trustworthy party.

So they hit a lady in her 70s in all the right places. "Be scared of online stuff", "this is super urgent we need to do it on the phone because the hackers are in your computer right now" "there isn't time to call your kids and you don't need to bother them," "I'm a microsoft employee, we make windows, you can trust us", all that poo poo.

I just really thought we'd trained her enough to not respond to scams but I think she focused on the ones where they send you an email or call you and didn't understand what a scam popup would look or act like.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, that sucks.

Well, uh if you need a distraction, new game:

https://framed.wtf/

Guess a movie by a frame from it. You have 6 guesses, each wrong one gives you another frame.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leper's MIL

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kalli posted:

Yeah, that sucks.

Well, uh if you need a distraction, new game:

https://framed.wtf/

Guess a movie by a frame from it. You have 6 guesses, each wrong one gives you another frame.

Got it in 2 :clint:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Freaquency posted:

Got it in 2 :clint:

same, and I've never seen the movie :ocelot:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Same and same.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Same but I have seen the movie

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Apparently that one was just really easy because same

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I was kind of surprised I got it in two.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

No loving clue, never seen it. :negative:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I forgot that movie existed and I've never seen it so I didn't get it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Sorry Leper that really sucks. There’s a special level of hell for those scammers.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I was kind of surprised I got it in two.

Must be the lunch beers because same

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
I'm ashamed that I didn't get it until the last guess (but I never saw it).

RIP

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Fifty Three posted:

No loving clue, never seen it. :negative:

I recognized Robin Williams's big rear end forehead in the second pic

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've never even heard of that movie!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Don’t let your cat get kidney disease. This special food is expensive.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Don’t get a cat.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

What kind do you have to get? Our cat has needed special food for his urinary crystals for years now, and I've just gotten used to the cost.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Counter-point:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/camilapress/status/1515057144982380549

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ozymandius1024 posted:

What kind do you have to get? Our cat has needed special food for his urinary crystals for years now, and I've just gotten used to the cost.

It’s Hill’s kidney care dry food and some wet food. I got it straight from the vet to try out, so if I need more, I’ll look online for something cheaper. The dry food is like $9/lb.

Also my furnace is on the fritz. Have a guy coming tomorrow morning to check it out. I think my blower motor is busted. It’s making a loud buzzing noise. Hoping I can keep it running through the night. At least it’s not super cold out. Going to be in the upper 40s and 50s.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

There's a comfy empty couch and three beds around the main living area but no, this fluffy boy just wants to sleep on the floor all because Lena is sleeping on the top bed of the cat tree.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

When our dog died last November we got Hill's renal diet for him maybe a week before he lost his appetite for good, so now I have 90% of an $80 bag of prescription dog food that I can't give away because a shelter won't take food that's already open :smith: Please just let me give you this expensive and life-saving but not in my case lmao food!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

My vet actually said they’ll take an open bag back if my cat doesn’t like it.