Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 08, 1950)

Arf, save yourself the trouble and just give up now. The one constant in Val's world, beyond Val murdering fools, is that determined women always get their man, always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947 seems oddly relevant

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Dick edition)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 08, 1950)

Somehow I picture Ollie as not walking, but smoothly hovering along behind him, unmoving, unsmiling, unblinking.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Jeffy's got that look you get when you just threw up all over a priceless Gauguin.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

OK, which one of you is ghostwriting for Lockhorns?

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Medenmath posted:

A Lockhorns dinner joke where Leroy likes the food
Has the whole world gone mad?!?!

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

"Ham! My one weakness!"

F Minus

A classic for politoons goons:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Mary's thinking "drat, Toby, are you really this hosed up?"

The Phantom

Mozz sighs heavily, begins telling the story yet again.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Do you think that's Red from the restaurant in the background?

Andertoons

Should have been sarsaparilla.

Apartment 3-G

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 17, 1934)

Peanuts (April 18, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 15, 1938)

Out Our Way (August 4-6, 1938)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Haifisch posted:

2018 Spiderman
Whyyyy? This is so stupid it hurts my brain like it's being hit by a giant spoon like what felled the incredible spiderman previously, which admittedly was pretty funny. Less awful dialog and more head trauma please.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I think we're destined for the classic "How did you know it was in the basement if you don't know where he lives?" gotcha here.

So is the cow saying "ouch" part of Mandrake's magic?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Why is old guy's head like twice as long (even before the beard) than young guy's?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Toby's stupid situation is that she was inadvertently friendly with a student which could be misconstrued as something else if you don't dot your i's and cross your t's which is completely believable because Toby is remarkably stupid but it shouldn't anger her husband in the end.
Ian's situation is that he was receptive and even encouraging to a student hitting on him (for a grade) because it fed his ego and made him feel desirable and less gross and Toby because she is stupid as all hell let it slide despite it clearly being a reason to at least see a counselor or something.
If Moy lets it play like that, that Ian has a legit reason to be upset, after the whole mess with Wilbur and Estelle, she really is a hosed up person

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Why is old guy's head like twice as long (even before the beard) than young guy's?

Brain tumor.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I can see how this was revolutionary at the time but man this just hits me right in a raw spot. Especially with all the current attacks on queer folks and the personal news that my father is still not ok with me being a lesbian. Centering on straight folks feelings and already smoothing over the inexcusable actions of both parents with their performative "feeling awful" antics, even if that's not the intention. I assume we'll switch to Lawrence's POV soon, but y'all were right that this would be rough.

I ALSO didn't get a chance to say this earlier but that strip that claimed the idea of lying to parents about being gay is unacceptable was just.... woof.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Sensible chuckle of the day at that panel 4 background. Hell, start at panel 1 and only look at the art. Compare panel 3 Mark to panel 4. Are these being made and submitted down to the last minute?

I think new Trail would be better off running the campiest Captain Planet style storylines possible where Mark meets a sympathetic animal/environmental expert, admires some nicely drawn animals and then punches poachers in the jaw or something to resolve a grade school conflict. It'd be a dramatic improvement over the total absence of stakes we've had for 4 storylines now.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

I think we're destined for the classic "How did you know it was in the basement if you don't know where he lives?" gotcha here.

If that's actually it, then the obvious objection is that you can only do that trick if you also show us the whole scene. For all we know, Encyclopedia started in with "Scoop's typewriter went missing from his basement, and..." You can't just skip past a question and then say the answer contained too much information.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

gotta say this past week, these all feel like red flags!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Powered Descent posted:

If that's actually it, then the obvious objection is that you can only do that trick if you also show us the whole scene. For all we know, Encyclopedia started in with "Scoop's typewriter went missing from his basement, and..." You can't just skip past a question and then say the answer contained too much information.
All there are are terrible options. First kid claims he cannot type, which if the note was typed may mean he didn't do it, but how hard is it to figure out enough to type the code, or he could be lying anyways. Kip is too short to unlatch the door? Is he an infant or something? The final kid mentions a basement and that is probably the right answer but as you said it's a bullshit solution.

Mad about 70s kid detective stories again. :mad:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just caught up on FOOB. I hope Lawrence’s parents get hit by a truck.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Young man, just think. What if someone told either one of your parents that you did a smooch? Why, then you'd HAVE to get married! Think of your young lady's honor!

She was clearly into the thrill of maybe getting caught, but okay.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Oh great, another plot where the doctors just leave a woman alone with an abuser.

quote:

This guy sucks so bad and I hope he's about to do something really stupid.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Julet Esqu posted:

She was clearly into the thrill of maybe getting caught, but okay.

The thrill of maybe getting caught is different from knowing that several people are definitely watching you

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Visions of joy, and then high road beast

Lindesfarne Gets Racist

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

The thrill of maybe getting caught is different from knowing that several people are definitely watching you

This is true, for sure, but I would also argue that Bernice sucks and I don't like her.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

Mutt and Jeff

Why is Mutt and Jeff so good?

Also, Bernice being an exhibitionist would at least be something for her character.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Shadow Jan. 16-18, 1941

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Late with comics today, but at least I'm getting 'em in.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/14/02

Brenda Starr 7/19-21/48

Smokey Stover 5/4/47

Everyday Movies 1/17/35

"Don't you think somewhere deep down in her heart she must care for me if she takes presents from me?"

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's something genuinely wholesome about Zits that we see a dozen other strips fail to do. :shobon:

The casual sociopathy of Brenda Starr is certainly something else. :holy:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (October 13-15, 1921)

Toonerville Folks (January 9-11, 1919)

Dok's Dicky Duck (January 24, 1914)

This picture must've been making the rounds...

J.D. "Dick" Trenholme was another well-heeled Seattleite, a Canadian farm boy who made a pile of money during Klondike gold rush and settled in Seattle to sink a bite of his stake into real estate.

He made the final ballot to face off against Gill in the mayoral election, and I already spoiled what happened after that.

Little Lefty (May 14-17, 1936)

Blondie (From Zero) (November 19-21, 1931)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

If you're going to tell your dumbass past self to buy Yahoo stock, maybe also add in a cash-out date.

And jeez, if he's gone back to the early 80s, tell yourself to buy Apple. Apple. BUY APPLE. Yes, there will be a slump in the 90s. Ignore it and hold, or even buy at the dip. BUY APPLE.

But all this is irrelevant because... isn't he just wearing a VR helmet? It's not real? He only thinks he's talking to himself because he has a massive brain tumour or something?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

a) There was something indescribably tedious about translating a straight retelling of the "country mouse and city mouse" story.
b) "Hourai" is just this setting's name for (an apparently independent? good on them!) Okinawa, where goya and awamori are staples of the local quisine.

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I really thought she was taller and her diving into her backpack was just a cartoony gag. I guess not! Zits is a good strip all told.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Somehow I picture Ollie as not walking, but smoothly hovering along behind him, unmoving, unsmiling, unblinking.

It has to be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Mister Sun

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Mar 12-13, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jun 29, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 23-24, 1990)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 09, 2000)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Boo! (I'm glad they're no longer on that re-telling of Little Women, and back with the terrible puns)

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 09, 2000)

Holy emasculation, Batman!

And on those notes, in today's Blueberry: Now, I'm no musician, but I'm pretty sure violins don't look like that..., or Guffie is in a tight spot, once again, or Can YOU figure out the mastermind behind all of this before tomorrow's upload?!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

I don't even know why everything that happens in this strip just pisses me off now

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't even know why everything that happens in this strip just pisses me off now

Because Holbrook is an absolute hack and his creative output is a net drain on humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Oct. 15, 1950)