Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lister posted:

I don't like the basis of the plot either, but for what they're trying to do, it does make sense. By only changing the timeline, but not putting it in a parallel dimension, the show is essentially saying "Yes, Picard would have done all of these terrible things if the environment he grew up in was different." So when Q is saying "you did all of this and there's no atoning for it" you can't as easily write it off as not being the same person. Also, discovery introduced that mirror universe people are genetically different and that makes them bad guys.

Lister posted:

discovery

Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

mallratcal posted:

Never watched Trek, is Q malicious? I always assumed he was just loving around and having fun, like Mister Mxyzptlk.

The writers of tng had no loving idea and neither does anyone else.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol at mike being upset at the villainous ice agents

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Q is a trickster, like Puck or Loki or the Cheshire Cat

tricksters are neither malicious nor benevolent, nor not malicious nor not benevolent. their motives are secret! all you can know is that they can not be trusted, and that even if you know that, they'll trick you anyway. if things turn out bad, if they turn out well, was it the trickster's intention, or was the trickster foiled? stupid question, I already told you you're not allowed to know that. you must pay more attention

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Watched the first ep of S3 of Derry Girls, I love that show it just cracks me up.

Excellent guest star too.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

reignofevil posted:

The writers of tng had no loving idea and neither does anyone else.

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts
Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax..."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

Watched the first ep of S3 of Derry Girls, I love that show it just cracks me up.

Great show. It has great comedy editing.
I was in Derry last summer, here’s a big mural they have :

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol at mike being upset at the villainous ice agents

yeah mikes Politics are from the late 90's

very just world thinking where everyone is mostly good but some bad apples are ruining everything. Ah those were the days.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

very just world thinking where everyone is mostly good but some bad apples are ruining everything. Ah those were the days.

note: this is also the politics of most of middle America

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

Q is a trickster, like Puck or Loki or the Cheshire Cat

tricksters are neither malicious nor benevolent, nor not malicious nor not benevolent. their motives are secret! all you can know is that they can not be trusted, and that even if you know that, they'll trick you anyway. if things turn out bad, if they turn out well, was it the trickster's intention, or was the trickster foiled? stupid question, I already told you you're not allowed to know that. you must pay more attention

Perfect

And then the end of this episode is Picard deciding he needs to figure Q out. Like a lot of things this season, this could be the fine basis for an episode. What's going on in the Q Continuum? Is Q just loving around because he didn't want to let Picard die and he needs to couch that in a game? The audience knows there's something up with the Continuum because Q couldn't snap Renee Picard into doing what he wanted so he had to resort to pretending to be a shrink and having Fat Data try to run her over with a car.

The pieces are there for an OK episode. Just like the last two episodes had fine setups.

- The team has to infiltrate a fancy 21st Century party without seeming like out-of-place weirdoes, but their plan hinges on Agnes who is being taken over by the Borg Queen.
- The gang has to to into Picards subconscious to pull him out of a horrible childhood trauma.

Nothing wrong with these ideas, but they got executed loving horrifically. So I'm sure the next episode is gonna be dumb as gently caress and will retroactively ruin the Continuum a little bit just like the show has with the El-Aurians.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Regarde Aduck posted:

man im just glad they have never revealed themselves as full midwestern idiots politically. just the fact that they call out the blatant sexism in a lot of poo poo puts them head and shoulders above so many other morons i speak to on a daily basis

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm just going off the clips, but the "evil" portrayal of the ICE agents looked ridiculously cartoony in a way that was unbecoming of a smart, Trek-worthy social commentary. ICE may be pretty drat evil, but what I want from Trek is an exploration of the aspects of human nature that allow such evil to happen. Not just mustache twirling. It's basically just Twitter takes put on screen, instead of actually writing a good fictional analogy. Look no further than DS9 with the cops who were enforcing the Sanctuary Districts for a good counter-example. Despite being '90s television, those guys still felt way more realistic and relevant to real world events.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

Perfect

And then the end of this episode is Picard deciding he needs to figure Q out. Like a lot of things this season, this could be the fine basis for an episode. What's going on in the Q Continuum? Is Q just loving around because he didn't want to let Picard die and he needs to couch that in a game? The audience knows there's something up with the Continuum because Q couldn't snap Renee Picard into doing what he wanted so he had to resort to pretending to be a shrink and having Fat Data try to run her over with a car.

The pieces are there for an OK episode. Just like the last two episodes had fine setups.

- The team has to infiltrate a fancy 21st Century party without seeming like out-of-place weirdoes, but their plan hinges on Agnes who is being taken over by the Borg Queen.
- The gang has to to into Picards subconscious to pull him out of a horrible childhood trauma.

Nothing wrong with these ideas, but they got executed loving horrifically. So I'm sure the next episode is gonna be dumb as gently caress and will retroactively ruin the Continuum a little bit just like the show has with the El-Aurians.

I really don't like that we're gonna have this writing team of all people filling in the "official" franchise lore for the Q Continuum. They're gonna do some dumb poo poo like have them turn out to be humans who have just hyper-evolved to a state of perfect unified conscious outside that is outside of space and time, except that one of them missed their mother and the ache of that pain caused the Continuum to still exist in the universe. Then Picard will have a final moment with his mother and it will be so healing that the Q Continuum is healed and ceases to exist.

That, or it'll be some rip-off of a video game from 10 years ago.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm just going off the clips, but the "evil" portrayal of the ICE agents looked ridiculously cartoony in a way that was unbecoming of a smart, Trek-worthy social commentary. ICE may be pretty drat evil, but what I want from Trek is an exploration of the aspects of human nature that allow such evil to happen. Not just mustache twirling. It's basically just Twitter takes put on screen, instead of actually writing a good fictional analogy. Look no further than DS9 with the cops who were enforcing the Sanctuary Districts for a good counter-example. Despite being '90s television, those guys still felt way more realistic and relevant to real world events.

This is probably fair and would be even moreso if we were talking about tng instead of picard which is like the delirious death nightmare of an old trek fan

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

kalel posted:

note: this is also the politics of most of middle America

Mike is the personification of the Midwest.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
the newest season of it's always sunny is so bad and they all look like crypt keepers someone take this show and shoot it in the back of the head before it turns into the simpsons

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I think they’re already renewed for thirty more years

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I want Always Sunny to keep going until it turns into an American version of Last of the Summer Wine

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Nothing wrong with these ideas, but they got executed loving horrifically.

That should be the name of one of the Star Trek threads.

Star Trek:
Nothing wrong with these ideas, but they got executed loving horrifically.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

I really don't like that we're gonna have this writing team of all people filling in the "official" franchise lore for the Q Continuum. They're gonna do some dumb poo poo like have them turn out to be humans who have just hyper-evolved to a state of perfect unified conscious outside that is outside of space and time, except that one of them missed their mother and the ache of that pain caused the Continuum to still exist in the universe. Then Picard will have a final moment with his mother and it will be so healing that the Q Continuum is healed and ceases to exist.

That, or it'll be some rip-off of a video game from 10 years ago.

Oh yes. They are going to continue to ruin poo poo.

I'm glad this season is set mostly in 2024 because nuTrek has been gunshy about getting into what happens after DS9. The politics of the galaxy in TNG and DS9 were cool and good, and I know this writing team will completely wreck that poo poo real bad if they try it. The poo poo they've already done about the Federation having android slaves and mostly trying to ignore the Romulan crisis was already such garbage.

I stopped watching Discovery after Season 2, but apparently 3 and 4 are set in the far future of Trek or something like that? But also it's an alternate future? I'm sure they've already hosed up a lot and I just haven't seen it.

Ultra
Dec 30, 2004

Oh no.

priznat posted:

I had no idea they were doing a season 3 of this show, you just made my day

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sunk Dunk posted:

the newest season of it's always sunny is so bad and they all look like crypt keepers someone take this show and shoot it in the back of the head before it turns into the simpsons

Not surprised you'd complain about things being too old

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

it was definitely a weaker season tho

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I was with the latest season--Dennis trying desperately to hide his COVID symptoms nearly killed me--right up until the turd-eating scene, and it really didn't earn the big emotional moment with Charlie in the last episode.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
the turd eating was fantastic

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

.I stopped watching Discovery after Season 2, but apparently 3 and 4 are set in the far future of Trek or something like that? But also it's an alternate future? I'm sure they've already hosed up a lot and I just haven't seen it.

Oh man discovery is the weirdest loving show and I'm one of the cursed fans that have continued watching it. Not only did they launch the disco crew to the 31st century, but all the dilithium exploded making warp drive nearly impossible and the federation has collapsed to a tiny fleet. So theyve rebuilt the federation the past two seasons, mostly offscreen and still feels like a show written by people whove never watched star trek. Even the better characters like Tilly and evil Georgiou have already left the show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tiberius Christ posted:

Oh man discovery is the weirdest loving show and I'm one of the cursed fans that have continued watching it. Not only did they launch the disco crew to the 31st century, but all the dilithium exploded making warp drive nearly impossible and the federation has collapsed to a tiny fleet. So theyve rebuilt the federation the past two seasons, mostly offscreen and still feels like a show written by people whove never watched star trek. Even the better characters like Tilly and evil Georgiou have already left the show.

Aw, not Tilly!

Is it an alternate universe or is Star Trek canon now that the Federation dies because it can't do warp?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tilly was written off the show?

I thought she was one of the draws for people who actually liked Discovery.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Great show. It has great comedy editing.
I was in Derry last summer, here’s a big mural they have :

The cast is just brilliant and the physicality of Erin’s (Saoirse-Monica Jackson) facial expressions especially is just a riot. Her and the headmaster Sister (George) Michael are my favs. Also Grandpa Joe (Ser Barristan Selmy!).

Reminds me a bit of Parks and Rec how it has snappy writing and also a really good heart to it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I finished the 1st season of Alone(2015) from the History Channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrowegT_sOc
10 guys are dropped about 2 hours from civilization, with minimal supplies, and we get to see who lasts longest

As a goon I find the outdoors boring, and the first few episodes were soooo slow for me. Still, there was value to watching this. Not as educational as a documentary, since it's a reality show, but I learned some things for our inevitable apocalyptic globally warmed future (mainly: It's probably better to die asap :byewhore:)

It was somewhat funny predicting who would break psychologically, a couple dudes surprised me for how long they lasted. Oh yeah, definitely the weirdest thing I learned - hardest thing about survival is psychological(not that the rest is easy). Being alone for long periods is apparently real bad for some people.

Anyway, if you're at all into hiking or the wild or such stuff, you might enjoy it.

Bit of a spoiler for a 7 year old reality show but lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuO2BhfjxSQ

I award this show 3.5 Comfys out of 5, and a coupon for a class with the editor of the Kardashians so the contestants recording themselves in nature can maybe make it more exciting next time

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I binged a shitload of Alone back when COVID started. Good show imo, one of very very few reality shows I have gotten hooked on

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
that sounds fun. i've been wanting to learn about the basics of how hosed you would be in a survival situation lately, something silly like this would probably be a good intro.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I should get back into Alone. I burned out on it like halfway through the redemption season, but it was mostly from binging it too much.

Edit: Turned it back on right where I left it and some dude just built a tree stand and then shot his camera with his bow and arrow from it. Brilliant.

https://twitter.com/OKBJGM/status/1515007243476824065

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 15, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

roomtone posted:

that sounds fun. i've been wanting to learn about the basics of how hosed you would be in a survival situation lately, something silly like this would probably be a good intro.

if you never did watch it, Les Stroud got all the rights to Survivorman and the entire series is now on Youtube

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

if you never did watch it, Les Stroud got all the rights to Survivorman and the entire series is now on Youtube

Second this as a fun watch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dude boiling up 9 leeches and a snail in a desperate bid to get some protein: "What are the odds that this tastes good?"

:lol: forgot how great this show is

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
How is Sonic the Hedgehog 3 supposed to save cinema if Jim Carrey isnt going to be in it?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Aw, not Tilly!

Is it an alternate universe or is Star Trek canon now that the Federation dies because it can't do warp?

I didn't watch the season 4 in case it was addressed there, but it's not an alternate timeline, the prime universe will eventually be turbo hosed by a freak natural disaster. At least until ten years go by and the legacy of disco is so poor that the next round of people in charge of star trek decide to retcon that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

X JAKK posted:

How is Sonic the Hedgehog 3 supposed to save cinema if Jim Carrey isnt going to be in it?

Ya gotta have faith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
There's no such thing as 'canon' lmao