Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One of the highest compliments I got at an old job was that I "was a computer guy who was also a people person," because apparently that is a loving unicorn.

In general bosses want people who can do everything, but most humans can't. Most people are really good at certain things in their job field and ok at the related stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Outrail posted:

Sounds like they need to hire more staff.

Or bank cookie overtime once a week to get on top of poo poo?

Their workflow compared to my last bakery job is horribly inefficient and slow on the production end, (like, a third of the total output with the same number of production people; soo much stopping and starting, jfhc) they never say no to midday phone orders so the goalposts keep moving further along, and to top it off decided we are responsible for all dishes and garbage takeout despite the retail front being open for another 3-6 hours after we're nominally scheduled to be out of there.
And yeah, they need to hire more staff. The owners have decided production should have almost all their days off together, leaving empty days that could be used making poo poo that could be done and frozen even by only one or two people.

And despite weekly inventory sheet reporting this motherfucker manages to not order more things in four months than my last job did in thirteen years. I have never before been short of the materiel required to do my job this often.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 15, 2022

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

In general bosses want people who can do everything, but most humans can't. Most people are really good at certain things in their job field and ok at the related stuff.

And they absolutely do not want to pay for a generalist skillset anyway.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
March 31st, I get an email from my manager: "Good news! Your annual bonus payout on April 15th of $X should actually be $X times 1.37."
April 15, the payout is just $X.

I can't wait to see how they spin this.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Two VPs just got in a pissing match on a very important Teams meeting about transitioning to a new ERP system. Got to the point where the presenter was visibly uncomfortable, I eventually jumped in and asked them to take it outside so the people actually implementing this can pay attention.

Have had 12 hours of teams calls this week and these idiots have been on about an hour of them combined, so naturally they're the loving experts who have to interrupt and correct the person who is being paid a lot of money to teach us this poo poo.

Then they talked about 2FA and the IT manager mentioned a "mostly unsuccessful data breach" and my eyes nearly fell out of my skull.

15 minutes from upending my entire life and living in the woods so I never have to speak to these assholes again.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

tracecomplete posted:

And they absolutely do not want to pay for a generalist skillset anyway.

This is very true.

I'm kinda good at a bunch of different things, but I've so far only met one employer who actually wanted to pay rates appropriate for that.
For the other employers, I mostly stayed in my lane.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Last night my boss changed my schedule at the last minute and today on the way to work I spent most of my commute absorbed in googling “how to join a monastery” so I think it’s time to get a new job.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Coco13 posted:

March 31st, I get an email from my manager: "Good news! Your annual bonus payout on April 15th of $X should actually be $X times 1.37."
April 15, the payout is just $X.

I can't wait to see how they spin this.

"i said that's what it SHOULD be, i didn't say that's what it WOULD be"

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Critical posted:

15 minutes from upending my entire life and living in the woods so I never have to speak to these assholes again.

This is what successful HR looks like, for every employee

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

Last night my boss changed my schedule at the last minute and today on the way to work I spent most of my commute absorbed in googling “how to join a monastery” so I think it’s time to get a new job.

This sounds like an absolute loving nightmare tbh. Good luck finding something that works. Working for these kinds of people never works.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Sanctum posted:

Employee appreciation pizza is the worst kind of pizza.
Now imagine having to pay for it yourself. Because that's what my job did. :shepicide:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

SubponticatePoster posted:

Now imagine having to pay for it yourself. Because that's what my job did. :shepicide:

At least you found out exactly how much they appreciated you.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Weekly emails full of manually compiled information that need to be sent to an address that doesn't seem to be related to anything and no discernible communication back about it from anybody it could potentially be linked to started bouncing.

Got told this was their problem, not ours. Just keep sending that weekly email.

Shouldn't we contact them and let them know their email server is busted? Their problem.
Do we have a line of communication to do that? Their problem.
Do we even know who this address belongs to? Their problem.

So I guess these emails are going to be continue to be typed up and sent into the void, burnt as offerings to the god of corporate bureaucracy, never to be read again by human eyes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They weren't being read to begin with. This is just further confirmation.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just send something that says "INPUT ERROR" every day until someone complains.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

We just got acquired, and everyone's quitting, so that's probably a bad sign.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Neito posted:

We just got acquired, and everyone's quitting, so that's probably a bad sign.

it means the partys over op

naem
May 29, 2011

we got acquired and I got promoted, the end is nigh

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Our newest guy quit after mere days. He was a really good cook, too. The explanation I heard from a manager was that he couldn't stand the commute. Most of our guys handle that exact same commute or worse and have been for years. My suspicion is that, once again, our boss didn't adequately explain anything about our current work situation during the interviews. Our prediction now is that we'll remain understaffed for at least the rest of the academic year.

I heard through the grapevine that this is entirely the result of our boss spending many years pissing off just about everybody he interacts with, and so somebody in the office above him has been intercepting nearly all applications from student workers and sending them to the other dining halls. As a result, they're fully staffed, we're the only spot that's hosed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Critical posted:

Then they talked about 2FA and the IT manager mentioned a "mostly unsuccessful data breach" and my eyes nearly fell out of my skull.

Great use of 'Mostly' doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

They want us working at least one day in the office now, starting next week. Unfortunately, the organization I'm a part of has chosen Thursday as their "we should all be here so we can 'collaborate and synchronize'" day, which just so happens to be the one day of the week I have to both drop and pick up my son from school. My boss gave me the okay to leave at lunch to go pick him up, then finish the rest of the work day from home, which means I'll be coming into the office once a week for three whole hours. Gonna be such a waste of gas.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Tell the boss you're prepared to come in on a different day so your team can maintain a situational office presence across the week.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just found a trove of snacks squirreled away in a cabinet over in the Sales area, those bastards were holding out on us! :argh:

I junked the Cheetos and popcorn that was all expired a full 2 years ago, they both smelled beyond stale, but these Oreos still look OK...

If I never post again please rename this thread 'Dumb poo poo you does at work' in memoriam :rip:

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Takes No Damage posted:

Just found a trove of snacks squirreled away in a cabinet over in the Sales area, those bastards were holding out on us! :argh:

I junked the Cheetos and popcorn that was all expired a full 2 years ago, they both smelled beyond stale, but these Oreos still look OK...

If I never post again please rename this thread 'Dumb poo poo you does at work' in memoriam :rip:

Similarly, I opened up my road box after over two years without a show. I was cleaning it out and pulling all the junk food and stuff and setting it aside. Got called off to another project. The crew was eating it. God Speed stagehands.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Junk food doesn’t expire. I found some 3+ year old Pringles in a box we forgot about, slightly chewy but otherwise fine.

E: Sealed. I’m not sure it would be different if they weren’t.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

That was the good thing about our office getting remodelled early in the pandemic - anything anyone left when they went WFH got put in one room, then after a few months they got told "Get your poo poo", then Facilities announced they were trashing everything left, so us "Critical infrastructure" shmucks who had to be in the office the entire time swooped in and grabbed what we wanted.

Got some new Nerf guns for our team arsenal, and a mini fridge and Keurig for our area (Part of what got cleared out was some executive conference rooms).

It's still happening because we all just got a stash of decent, small projectors. :getin:

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Junk food doesn’t expire. I found some 3+ year old Pringles in a box we forgot about, slightly chewy but otherwise fine.

Alot of it had been opened December of 2019, and this was in March of 2022.

Also my road box was closed, but not sealed, in a warehouse in Texas with no heat or AC.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

goatface posted:

Just send something that says "INPUT ERROR" every day until someone complains.

That's actually, seriously, what you should do though. Schedule an email to be sent every workday morning to that address and forget about it, and use the time for something more useful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There was a goon story about how their first job required them to maintain some insanely archaic piece of hardware to send a once weekly report. They did this for two years or so, wasting significant time and energy doing it only to discover whatever project the data was being collected for had been canceled years prior.

If there is an automated report you send and theres never feedback just uh, send errors or stop sending. Nobody is reading it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

If you want to be safe, take ~4 weeks where you continue to produce the report, but do the previously mentioned email-fail thing so that you sent something, but there is no way anyone could actually have received the report.

If it keeps bouncing, save the notifications.

If no-one comes after you for 4 weeks then it clearly didn't matter, so keep sending the broken email and just stop sending the actual report. Make an email rule to harvest and archive the bounce notifications.

You are now covered, safe, and have a few more hours in the week.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

It's still happening because we all just got a stash of decent, small projectors. :getin:

Also works for the evening shift! When my company moved to a neighboring building a bunch of old swag got put in a room that was just up for grabs. I took home a lamp that is sitting by my bed right now and some legit nice black button up shirts with our old logo on them from Calvin Klein.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

These were all sealed individual size snack bags, but I tried both the Cheetos and popcorn and there was some kind of funky almost chemical smell from both of them. ~Might~ still have been OK, but even I'm not cheap enough to risk it.

Oreos were still good tho :cool:

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Barudak posted:

There was a goon story about how their first job required them to maintain some insanely archaic piece of hardware to send a once weekly report. They did this for two years or so, wasting significant time and energy doing it only to discover whatever project the data was being collected for had been canceled years prior.

If there is an automated report you send and theres never feedback just uh, send errors or stop sending. Nobody is reading it.

I did this for an internal report. The report was the same thing over and over again for years. No errors. No errors. No errors. Eventually I stopped doing it. I got promoted, and suddenly everyone was asking why it hadn’t been done cause they were training my replacement on it.

Thankfully “it lost priority due to Covid” was an excuse I could use but come the gently caress on. You didn’t even notice, clearly it means jack poo poo.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Things have been mostly alright here but one thing that's been really pissing me off is the real lack of a schedule. I get all these decisions from way higher up on the food chain about some beer we suddenly need to make ASAP and all of our supply orders are so piecemeal. We have a rough schedule set out and I have the recipes for most of these beers ready, but instead of ordering supplies for the next three or four beers, the boss will immediately order for just the next one, then I don't really hear anything until the supplies arrive and get asked to brew like the next day because "sooner would be better". Waiting a few more days isn't going to cause that many issues, and we could eliminate this stop and go bullshit if we ordered further in advance.

I got a call this morning on Saturday, my day off, asking if I could come in and confirm supplies we need to order for the bullshit milkshake smoothie sour IPA abomination I made for them. There's a major craft beer event happening at the end of next month. It's put on by the Kansai Craft Beer Association, so they literally invite every licensed brewery in Kansai. It's not like you have to make any appeals or even apply. It would be our first beer event since getting our license. One of the higher ups wants me to brew that Godawful milkshake IPA and just serve that beer and no others at the two day event. He's a fairly understanding guy so I think I can convince him that this is a really bad idea. That said, I don't know why I need to go in and confirm supplies on my loving day off when the suppliers aren't even open on the weekend and I'm pretty sure that they're sold out of one of the hop varieties I use in that recipe until next month. Even if waiting until Monday to send in the order took one extra day it's not going to have much of an impact on production. That's still more than enough lead time to finish the beer before the event. I also hate making this beer. The brewing itself isn't so bad other than grain out (because of all the oatmeal) but after getting it in the tank I have a later yeast pitch followed by dry hopping and fruiting and then a second dry hopping and getting the timing set in the schedule is just such a pain in the loving rear end. They want this bullshit to be a flagship which is a terrible idea and since they don't understand the business they're obsessed with bottling and don't seem to understand the bigger gains are in draft sales on site and keg sales. I knew making this poo poo would come back to bite me in the rear end.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Your day off is your day off - stop answering your phone on your day off.

It's the hardest thing I had to learn downright getting a second SIM for it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah. I told them I wasn't going in.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Escape From Noise posted:

I also hate making this beer. The brewing itself isn't so bad other than grain out (because of all the oatmeal) but after getting it in the tank I have a later yeast pitch followed by dry hopping and fruiting and then a second dry hopping and getting the timing set in the schedule is just such a pain in the loving rear end.

Sometimes when I read your posts I imagine you and two of your staff wearing homemade witches costumes tossing random poo poo into a cauldron and looking up Moon phases in an expired farmers Almanac while the boss rants about client requests in the background.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 16, 2022

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Sometimes when I read your posts I imagine you and two of your staff wearing homemade witches costumes standing around a cauldron cackling and tossing random poo poo into the brew while looking at Moon phases in an expired farmers Almanac.

This is mostly true, except I'm the only brewer.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Escape From Noise posted:

This is mostly true, except I'm the only brewer.

Well there's your problem, obviously you need three for a coven or the spells are going to be all hosed up.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
They will ask you to keep doing it as long as you will do it, because even if it doesn't need to get done now, confirming you have the supplies, or confirming what is missing, as soon as possible gives them the most lead time to request further poo poo you might need before you start work

You're a good worker and they're taking advantage of this, knowing you'll check if they tap you for it. Only way to stop it is to put boundaries, like you did - if they realize they can't just hit you up whenever they need they'll have to start figuring poo poo out earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah. I told them I'm not coming in today and we'll work it out next week because we need so much more information than just that and it's my day off. They do let me come in late and leave early on days where I don't have anything going on but I also realized I needed to set boundaries. I am the only brewer so I'm sure there will be times I'm going to need to come in on my days off but this wasn't a good enough reason at all. Especially considering I recently did inventory.