Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny

Escape From Noise posted:

Big boss came in today and said that my beers have been really good so that was pretty neat.

That's cool, I'm glad to hear it.

farecoal as someone who typically doesn't stay at jobs very long I feel like interview-ability and related job experience are really what hinder me when I'm looking for work. The last time I was actually kind of excited going into an interview they went with someone with more customer service experience.

That said I have been a little tired of my job and happened to be out for a drink with a mate from college who has a job that makes me kind of jealous, in a field with some overlap with what we studied. It is a day job and on the other side of town and it sounds like they want people pronto. My current boss has done right by me and I was kind of hoping to give him more than 2 weeks notice.

I do need to update my resume, which is woefully out of date since somehow I am missing a few generations of it, and I would definitely want to tour the shop before I made any real decisions but I don't know, I kind of have nerves about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

I think having nerves about switching jobs is pretty normal. Admittedly, I'm pretty neurotic, but I've almost always experienced that sort of feeling, even when abandoning a workplace I hated. I even got pretty used to quitting since I haven't held onto any job for much longer than a year since leaving the JET Program in 2014.

I understand wanting to give proper notice, but you're in food service, right? I may be way off base, but people quitting with little notice doesn't seem outside the norm with people moving around pretty regularly. I'm sure that your boss will appreciate getting at least some notice. Hell, they could understand why even. Life sorta happens sometimes. Good luck!

cruft

Ms Cruft has a coworker who shows up at least an hour late every day. Ms Cruft has to cover for her each time. Apparentry Ms Cruft's boss likes this lade so we're not sure if she's getting paid for that hour or not, but we are sure Ms Cruft isn't getting paid to do two jobs. Yesterday the coworker didn't show up at all.

Yesterday, Ms Cruft found out her boss has COVID-19, after Ms Cruft administered to said boss the day before.

So all in all this has been a good last week at Ms Cruft's job, in terms of not making her wonder if leaving was the right decision.

cruft

Also yesterday I went in for the second time. I really really enjoy the company of the people I work with, which is going great, because apparently management just can't stand the thought of us being so darn productive.

So anyway even though I am the boss, I'm not trying to steer people back to being productive on Wednesday. Apparently there's something I just don't understand that makes it super important that everyone you work with be your best friend in the whole wide world. I thought you only had to get along with them well enough to do the work you were assigned.

I think Ms Cruft and I have the same situation, actually. The difference is that my people actually show up.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
wednesdays are for frog memes ONLY

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Farecoal posted:

I was trying to make it to July so I can have at least one year at this place on my resume but I'm starting to rethink that

Honestly if they are going to be that openly hostile to workers, I would view that as a legit reason to bail. Sure there are other idiots who hire, who might not like your choice to do that, but IMO that is also a red flag. Good managers understand that employees are people and should be treated with respect, and when they are not, that employees will bail because of it.

Ultimately I'm not in the same job market as I'm on a different continent, so you are in a far better place to decide how you want to handle this, but if it were me I would already be looking for somewhere else

cruft posted:

Ms Cruft has a coworker who shows up at least an hour late every day. Ms Cruft has to cover for her each time. Apparentry Ms Cruft's boss likes this lade so we're not sure if she's getting paid for that hour or not, but we are sure Ms Cruft isn't getting paid to do two jobs. Yesterday the coworker didn't show up at all.

Ms Cruft doesn't have to cover for her coworker IMO. I've been in similar situations and at the end of the day, the only winners were the people I was handling the workload for. If Ms Cruft already has her own workload she handles that, and the other worker be damned. I've been the idiot that does 2 jobs worth of work to allow someone else to get paid to basically do nothing, and while I thought I was being nice / helping it turns out I was just being used, and they got really angry when I had to tell them they needed to do some of their own work because I was too busy to manage it for them that week. Turns out at that point they literally had no idea how to do their own job :ughh:

When questioned about work not getting done the answer should be "my coworker handles that and as you can see, they are not here to perform that role, so it is not getting done. I am sure they will catch everything up once they get here" or words to that effect

It's a contentious attitude but I am an old :corsair: so I'm just ornery by nature I guess :shrug:

xcheopis

Dr. Honked posted:

wednesdays are for frog memes ONLY

How about a song?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KBh7kcSwxbg

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

yesss

Ass-penny

I think having nerves about switching jobs is pretty normal. Admittedly, I'm pretty neurotic, but I've almost always experienced that sort of feeling, even when abandoning a workplace I hated. I even got pretty used to quitting since I haven't held onto any job for much longer than a year since leaving the JET Program in 2014.

I understand wanting to give proper notice, but you're in food service, right? I may be way off base, but people quitting with little notice doesn't seem outside the norm with people moving around pretty regularly. I'm sure that your boss will appreciate getting at least some notice. Hell, they could understand why even. Life sorta happens sometimes. Good luck!

Oh I can leave a place I hate. No problem, it's always been easy because A I hate those people and B I was young with a diverse set of skills and I was always able to coast on savings between jobs. It's just that I don't actually hate where I work, I just find I'm surprisingly well compensated for being in the food industry and I'm comfortable there, even if I'm not really being challenged, and it's real close to where I live. This other, potentially more intellectually stimulating gig is on the other side of town, probably more than doubling my commute time. I'm worried I'm going to show up, hate it, and flame out and not have any job. I still have a diverse set of practical skills but I'm not as young as I was and I've been thinking a lot about trying to get my poo poo together this year and I'm wondering "huh should I get a new job and try to enroll myself in therapy?" it just seems like a lot of change to put on the plate at once.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

cruft

NumptyScrub posted:

Ms Cruft doesn't have to cover for her coworker IMO.

You're not wrong generally, but there are some jobs where this doesn't work. Like theater or volleyball teams or (in this case) rooming patients and tending to surgical recovery.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
there's a desk in the office that has a pen on it. this pen has been there for at least a year. some of us are custodians of the sacred pen and make sure that it's always on the desk. anyone who uses that desk leaves the pen where it is.

in a fresh development, there's another desk upon which has appeared one (1) dog treat. this dog treat is obviously sacred too, and will get the same treatment.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Customers are actually the worst.

Today I was called everything but a person because one of our flagship lines is changing manufacturers, and, of course, it's a pandemic, so the supply chain is turbo hosed. This means we have no product X, Y or Z, but we are offering products 1, 2 & 3 at comparable pricing. The products are identical in composition, with the same scent, but not that brand on that collection.

So, obviously, I am the Australian gamer word all day long. And a horrendous bitch. And, clearly, I decided to do this to them, personally.

Look, I work in sales and I touch computer. I work for a small business. Yes, I personally did this to you, Susan, on purpose, house to gently caress up your world. Jesus gently caress.

cruft

Cardi BYOB posted:

Customers are actually the worst.

Yes.

The only time I have ever cried at work was when I was a barista.

And I had to do it multiple times. Just go into the back room and cry it out.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

Yes.

The only time I have ever cried at work was when I was a barista.

And I had to do it multiple times. Just go into the back room and cry it out.

When I worked fine I cried in the walk in every day, on a schedule, at appointed times. Those were my only breaks.

NumptyScrub

cruft posted:

You're not wrong generally, but there are some jobs where this doesn't work. Like theater or volleyball teams or (in this case) rooming patients and tending to surgical recovery.

OK I have now hit cognitive dissonance. My long held belief that as long as the workload is being handled, timekeeping is incidental, has been successfully challenged and now I have no idea what I would deem the "correct" way to handle that situation

cruft

NumptyScrub posted:

OK I have now hit cognitive dissonance. My long held belief that as long as the workload is being handled, timekeeping is incidental, has been successfully challenged and now I have no idea what I would deem the "correct" way to handle that situation

I mean, normally, you'd fire the employee. But there's a nationwide (maybe global?) shortage of nurses, and a nurse that works 6 out of their 8 scheduled hours is 6 hours of work that the rest of the staff doesn't have to do, so the way to handle the situation appears to be thank your lucky stars you have part of a position filled.

Although based on Ms Cruft's recent tirade, tire iron to the kneecaps seems to now be making a play for the title.

Escape From Noise

Like I'm not really complaining or anything because it's pretty whatever but everytime someone witnesses me putting fruit puree into a tank they're always like "Could you try to spill less outside of the tank?". Look buddy, I try to get as much into the tank as possible, but you try getting 100% of a liquid with solids in it from a 20kg square can into an opening less than the diameter of a standard coffee pot opening lifted over your shoulders at about head height perched on top of a ladder. Get me purree in a bag with a twist off opening I can put directly to the opening and maybe I'll spill less.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 15, 2022

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Like I'm not really complaining or anything because it's pretty whatever but everytime someone witnesses me putting fruit puree into a tank they're always like "Could you try to spill less outside of the tank?". Look buddy, I try to get as much into the tank as possible, but you try getting 100% of a liquid with solids in it from a 20kg square can into an opening less than the diameter of a standard coffee pot opening lifted over your shoulders at about head height perched on top of a ladder. Get me purree in a bag with a twist off opening I can put directly to the opening and maybe I'll slill less.

invite them to try. if they can do it better than you, it's their job to pour the fruit slurry into the tank now.

NumptyScrub

Like I'm not really complaining or anything because it's pretty whatever but everytime someone witnesses me putting fruit puree into a tank they're always like "Could you try to spill less outside of the tank?". Look buddy, I try to get as much into the tank as possible, but you try getting 100% of a liquid with solids in it from a 20kg square can into an opening less than the diameter of a standard coffee pot opening lifted over your shoulders at about head height perched on top of a ladder. Get me purree in a bag with a twist off opening I can put directly to the opening and maybe I'll slill less.

Is there room for a funnel or similar large -> small opening device to help with getting the fruit goop into the tank? I appreciate that it may require some thought around a custom design, if the dimensions and available space are no good for the standard symmetric inverted cone funnel design, maybe an asymmetric sloping shelf into the exit or something similar. It would also help with moving the pour point closer to the edge of the vessel than the actual opening :thunk:

cruft posted:

I mean, normally, you'd fire the employee. But there's a nationwide (maybe global?) shortage of nurses, and a nurse that works 6 out of their 8 scheduled hours is 6 hours of work that the rest of the staff doesn't have to do, so the way to handle the situation appears to be thank your lucky stars you have part of a position filled.

Although based on Ms Cruft's recent tirade, tire iron to the kneecaps seems to now be making a play for the title.

Does the manager understand that if they set a precedent where members of nursing staff can choose their own hours, that all nursing staff will eventually adopt this new paradigm? Aka Ms Cruft now has the choice of leaving early if it is a bad day and apparently that is now acceptable.

Note that I'm assuming she has already broached this with the manager in question, and they have confirmed the coworker is not going to face issues for waltzing in late. This should probably be done first before choosing to emulate coworker's flexible shift approach :sweatdrop:

Escape From Noise

NumptyScrub posted:

Is there room for a funnel or similar large -> small opening device to help with getting the fruit goop into the tank? I appreciate that it may require some thought around a custom design, if the dimensions and available space are no good for the standard symmetric inverted cone funnel design, maybe an asymmetric sloping shelf into the exit or something similar. It would also help with moving the pour point closer to the edge of the vessel than the actual opening :thunk:

I mean not in a way that would actually increase the opening in any meaningful way. I'm sure something better could be designed but the cost would be far higher than the minimal loss we experience as is.

cruft

Today is Ms Cruft's last normal day at work, she's going to graduate school and will (possibly) return as a medical provider.

Finger Prince

I just realized I can ctrl-c/ctrl-v my password so I don't have to type it in over and over and over and over every day in every program and website I log in to.

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

I just realized I can ctrl-c/ctrl-v my password so I don't have to type it in over and over and over and over every day in every program and website I log in to.

Can I recommend using a password manager? Something like 1password (what I use) or even just the one built in to the browser. What you're describing here, based on my experience as a computer security professional, is about the riskiest thing you could be doing.

If you're not comfortable using a password manger for some reason, writing everything in a book is okay too. Just don't use the same password twice :)

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
Y'all, I drove all the way to the office, thought "why is the parking lot empty?", realized we're closed for Good Friday, treated myself to a big sugary frozen coffee drink then vacuumed and washed my car at the carwash with the free vacuums since I was already over there anyway.

Now I'm back in my pajama pants and if the Benadryl I took can actually keep up with the fact that I spent more than one minute outside today this should be a great, unexpected free day to chill and do hobbies.

cruft

DaChurl posted:

Y'all, I drove all the way to the office, thought "why is the parking lot empty?", realized we're closed for Good Friday, treated myself to a big sugary frozen coffee drink then vacuumed and washed my car at the carwash with the free vacuums since I was already over there anyway.

Now I'm back in my pajama pants and if the Benadryl I took can actually keep up with the fact that I spent more than one minute outside today this should be a great, unexpected free day to chill and do hobbies.

God drat.

I'm gonna go make myself a coffee because of this post.

:cheers:

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

Can I recommend using a password manager? Something like 1password (what I use) or even just the one built in to the browser. What you're describing here, based on my experience as a computer security professional, is about the riskiest thing you could be doing.

If you're not comfortable using a password manger for some reason, writing everything in a book is okay too. Just don't use the same password twice :)

Unfortunately the way the browsers and OS are locked down means I can't use a password manager. This wasn't the case before, but my present situation means I can't use browser autofill like I did when I had my own laptop. Supposedly we might be getting our own laptops again. It's just annoying typing it in over and over.

E-Also I feel like I should mention, there are layers of security before you get to pleb level logging in to some enterprise apps on an internal network machine that I'm not mentioning, so even though the password system is kinda sus, entire departments exist to mitigate the sus.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 15, 2022

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

Unfortunately the way the browsers and OS are locked down means I can't use a password manager.

:psyduck:

Finger Prince

It's complicated. It isn't really, but without understanding the workspace, it's understandable to think that that's weird.

Ass-penny

DaChurl posted:

excellent bonus day off. :tipshat:

I requested today off and I remember it! :wotwot:

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Escape From Noise

Work wanted me to come in on my day off to measure malt so they could figure out how much malt they needed to order for a beer I need to make last minute for an event I've been telling them we need to prepare for since the beginning of the year. Also they're planning on serving only that beer for a two day event that's arguably the most important craft beer event in Kansai. I told them I'd be in on Monday. Also that we need at least two beers, ideally three or more for that event.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i'm all for being a team player but it ain't your job to fix other people's dumb stuff

Farecoal

There he go

I told them I'd be in on Monday.

:hellyeah:

cruft

Work wanted me to come in on my day off to measure malt so they could figure out how much malt they needed to order for a beer I need to make last minute for an event I've been telling them we need to prepare for since the beginning of the year. Also they're planning on serving only that beer for a two day event that's arguably the most important craft beer event in Kansai. I told them I'd be in on Monday. Also that we need at least two beers, ideally three or more for that event.

This is giving me strong wedding DJ gig vibes. The "chill" brides are the worst. They don't want to get all dramatic so they play it cool and don't plan much. Then at some point it dawns on them that they're running short on time and nothing has been set up, and they become absolute nightmares to work with.

Save everyone some stress and actually plan things out, folks. Your contractors appreciate clear direction more than chill vibes.

Escape From Noise

It's just more piecemeal is the thing. We have a tentative schedule but sometimes the higher-ups are absolutely convinced they need more bottles of that milkshake IPA ASAP. They've been okay at listening so I may have to explain why planning is important again and workarounds to this situation that require way less juggling.

Escape From Noise

Sarah Cenia posted:

i'm all for being a team player but it ain't your job to fix other people's dumb stuff

The issue is that I'm the only brewer so a lot of this falls on me. But they have a really bad habit of asking for stuff from me at the 11th hour. I'll have like a week with nothing going on and then Friday at like 5 pm they'll tell me I need to get inventory done before Monday. Nevermind I had very little to do all week much less that day. I think part of it is they're restaurant people who start their day much later, but it's been an issue recently. Gonna have to bring that up along with the scheduling issues.

Escape From Noise

Bottling machine trouble. Fuuuuuuuuck! Bottling loving sucks when shot goes smoothly. Now I'm waiting for the equipment supplier to get here to help. I feel bad. I had to call him a few times for help with getting the thing sanitized and set up, then I'm trying to get the filler to go and no such luck. He tried to help over video call but to no avail. I'm sure he'll get here and it'll turn out that I made some really dumb mistake.

Escape From Noise

Okay. It wasn't just me missing something dumb I was missing. Technical issues. Goddamn. May end up being a long day.

Escape From Noise

It's going to be a very loving long day. gently caress this stupid loving hazy beer and it's bullshit issues.

Escape From Noise

This is the worst loving day and I want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

hey I hope your shift got better sometime in there