Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

cat botherer posted:

Caring about elected pols and electoralism is extremely lol in 2022. AOC is in Congress, so she is garbage by definition. It's a corollary of ACAB.

this isn't necessarily my view, but one argument for 'VOTE' may be to prevent a GOP supermajority for as long as possible (I find it inevitable in perhaps 10 years or less)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i just finished reading habermas The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere for class and one thing that stood out to me was the concept that industrial capitalism killed reading and drinking groups and stuff, and then extrapolating from that the og parties were just overgrown squads of bros who chilled out, talked politics, and grouped up to push policies they wanted based on their own political philosphy. once capitalism killed the roots of the party the actual driving power within them was hollowed out and they were easily subverted by the forces of capital into yet another tool of capitalist power and wealth accumulation.

im not sure if i interpreted this book correctly but thats what it made me think. the discussion on the, uh, i forget the exact phrasing but "third space" was cool. like back in the day u had 3 things to do, generally: work, home, and your tavern drinking/philosophy buddies. he contends that industrial capitalism destroyed the third space by mingling the private and public spaces. i think.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Smythe posted:

i just finished reading habermas The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere for class and one thing that stood out to me was the concept that industrial capitalism killed reading and drinking groups and stuff, and then extrapolating from that the og parties were just overgrown squads of bros who chilled out, talked politics, and grouped up to push policies they wanted based on their own political philosphy. once capitalism killed the roots of the party the actual driving power within them was hollowed out and they were easily subverted by the forces of capital into yet another tool of capitalist power and wealth accumulation.

im not sure if i interpreted this book correctly but thats what it made me think. the discussion on the, uh, i forget the exact phrasing but "third space" was cool. like back in the day u had 3 things to do, generally: work, home, and your tavern drinking/philosophy buddies. he contends that industrial capitalism destroyed the third space by mingling the private and public spaces. i think.

That sounds cool as hell and I'm definitely going to acquire this book to read

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Smythe posted:

I've not read that book but I'm familiar with the concept of a third space or third place and you pretty much have it and yep, capitalism has killed it in many ways. Just think of how few third spaces you have that are not someone's business or platform.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
elon musk is just trying to bring back the third space

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1514625277183369222?cxt=HHwWjIC95cXqg4UqAAAA

Smythe posted:

Huh. That sounds like what Bowling Alone was saying.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

my third space is the bathroom at work i hide in to post here

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

500 good dogs posted:

elon musk is just trying to bring back the third space

yeah the space between your lane and the oncoming traffic lane

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smythe posted:

checks out, rowdy drunken arguments with your buddies have been the engine driving all hitherto economic and political revolutions

also why universities are historically hotbeds for violent rebellions once the students can’t find jobs

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lets go covid!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

did it destroy it though? that third space clearly still exists, we're posting on it right now. bars and poo poo still exist as well, but are they any less places where people philosophize together now than they ever were? to the extent that these groups existed in a pre-internet age, do they actually exist less? I obviously have no data on this but it seems like these would likely exist more now and not less. censorship in germany during, for instance, mozart and schubert's time was rampant and severe, and these gatherings frequently existed as speakeasies for both political ideas and art that might otherwise have gotten people thrown in jail. sounds like a pretty interesting book.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Smythe posted:

https://bungacast.com/2022/04/05/252-technopopulism-toxic-politics-ft-carlo-invernizzi-accetti/

I thought this episode was really good, it's about how our current technopopulist political landscape exists today and how it came about- that previously we had politics that were based on group interests, left and right politics, etc. Once these groups are destroyed what we have is populism (I claim to represent The People, regardless of their affiliation), and technocracy (I represent Science), and how these two tendencies reinforce each other and make contemporary politics so incredibly toxic.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

lol that the GOP is now in a positive feedback loop of barbarism

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/lydiakiesling/status/1514462117717454851?s=21&t=4DRXd484E_173p95r0-z3Q

:laffo: Love complaining about money while spending $15 a day on a single bagel.

edit*

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if nobody saves for retirement in today's financial climate.

Spend all the money you want. By the time anybody younger than 55 today is at retirement age, either:

- Number will finally have ascended heaven and brought forth the apocalypse

- Number will go so high it rolls over into the negatives or returns to 0 (depending on if the number is signed or unsigned), and the rich will shrug and tell the rest of the population to get hosed.

- America will no longer exist as it is today, and we will have UBI/Social security will pay more as the then-current president is forced to sign legislation that helps the mass majority of the people at gunpoint in front of the skulls of his predecessors.

- We will all be dead in the climate wars of 2035, and the survivors won't give a poo poo about their savings.

- None of the above happens, and even if you did put 20% of your income into your 401K and it went up 6% a year on average, inflation will far outpace the earnings, and you will still die destitute.

The older generations got to own a house, buy new cars, go on vacations, and still save for retirement on a single income equal to $50k today. gently caress anybody who says young people should grind until their 15 years away from death just to do the same.

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Apr 15, 2022

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

lol that america is always in a positive feedback loop of barbarism

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I don't think this is right. These older boomer dems can get a lobbying job making millions of dollars any time they want. The issue is that they are all making millions while in office too and they are all hubristic psychopaths who think no one else can do the job other than them. People also just don't give up power.

boomers are the spry young chickadees of congress.

the doddering olds like biden, feinstein, clyburn & pelosi are all silents.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hey at least Andrew Lawrence is getting paid for it

https://twitter.com/Lefty_Jew/status/1510779334121832448?t=Uv67At2K2nGXCBGKA6IpXQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1514805435710132226?t=4zr7bOhe0oEqJk03NI7IoA&s=19

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

genuinely surprised this isn't entirely done for her by the people who tell her how to vote tbh

call time for fundraising requires more involvement from the olds than passing legislation or heading committees, which can be read off of cards.

ain't no one donating bc of a call from feinstein's staffer, and the fact that she can't hold it together long enough to be lucid on a 5-min call for $ shows just how decrepit she's gotten.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its loving maddening how many dipshit libs think that something cannot have any truth or meaningful information because it appeared on some media company they dont like

is tucker a dumbass liar? yes, of course. but blind pigs still find truffles

lol ben smith had an article last year about how all the tucker hate is straight up kayfabe and the liberal media gossips with him for scoops all the time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/20/business/media/tucker-carlson.html

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Willa Rogers posted:

it's perfectly ok, in the 21st century, to have one of the most powerful politicians in the country refuse to speak to the press lest she just dribbles & coos.

yea tbh I'm sympathetic to 'not every old person who has a brain fart is literally losing their mind' poo poo but it feels like the best way to counter this poo poo is...do an interview????

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

people who think that appearing on tucker is an unforgivable sin must be the people who make twitter users feel the need to put "retweets are not endorsements" in their twitter bios

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

empty quotes are not endorsements

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It rules when dems accidently say something true.

https://twitter.com/Mondoweiss/status/1515012074509852672

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
lmao, D&D moderating has switched from overt defense of libs to just probing everyone. :thumbsup:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

FlapYoJacks posted:

https://twitter.com/lydiakiesling/status/1514462117717454851?s=21&t=4DRXd484E_173p95r0-z3Q

:laffo: Love complaining about money while spending $15 a day on a single bagel.

I dunno that this is really succ, but holy poo poo how do you have no savings and live paycheck to paycheck on $300k a year?? like yea obviously it's explained by her horrible spending habits and ridiculous mortage/car/"utilities" expenses but drat. makes me feel better about my finances lol

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 354 days!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Democrats seem to see a lot of honor into being a skeleton who holds on to a senate seat for 120 years. Republicans, meanwhile, have the good sense to trade out most of their leadership when they get too old to function. No wonder Republicans tend to win (or "win") elections.

republicans know how to play team sports; democrats do not

simple as

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
spending $250/month on cable and internet

AND

$100/month on streaming services lmao

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

camoseven posted:

I dunno that this is really succ, but holy poo poo how do you have no savings and live paycheck to paycheck on $300k a year?? like yea obviously it's explained by her horrible spending habits and ridiculous mortage/car/"utilities" expenses but drat. makes me feel better about my finances lol

As the old saying goes, "A fool and their money out are quickly parted,"

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

camoseven posted:

If you never bother to budget or think about what things cost, you can always spend down a paycheck. The people who truly don't have to worry about any budget are signing the check on the other side.

(also, she's pretty obviously got an untreated substance abuse problem, which might have something to do with the late night impulse purchases)

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Bishyaler posted:

lmao, D&D moderating has switched from overt defense of libs to just probing everyone. :thumbsup:
it's for the best. don't get me wrong I support our succ zone troops working in the mines for the rest of us, but it's time to bring them home

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

the great satan strikes again

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

camoseven posted:

Money insulates you from the sort of ruin those things would bring if they didn't have money. They don't need to be good at personal finances, they have money.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

empty quotes are not endorsements

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bishyaler posted:

good lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

did it destroy it though? that third space clearly still exists, we're posting on it right now. bars and poo poo still exist as well, but are they any less places where people philosophize together now than they ever were? to the extent that these groups existed in a pre-internet age, do they actually exist less? I obviously have no data on this but it seems like these would likely exist more now and not less. censorship in germany during, for instance, mozart and schubert's time was rampant and severe, and these gatherings frequently existed as speakeasies for both political ideas and art that might otherwise have gotten people thrown in jail. sounds like a pretty interesting book.

yes and no. this was part of the lecture, and im not entirely convinced that habermas was entirely right. for one, i think there is value in considering the implications on mass culture promulgated by Adorno (these are all frankfurt school freaks, which is the section we're on lol hence the theme... just talking about my homework now) and its flattening of culture and the degree of discussion we're allowed to participate in.

so, yes, bars exist - but culture and our critical engagement has been destroyed. the point of mass media is the convert the quality of our engagement to be less critical of the qualities of our society. value judgements of good and bad are no longer tolerated in culture, everything is now regarded as a matter of taste which effectively destroys all forms of debate and discussion. i am reminded of the twitter overture from last year (?) during marvel frenzy of "let people enjoy things" when encountering criticism of the public fanaticism over superhero movies. seems silly but i think it's a simple, relatable touchstone for millennials and goons specifically. the argument is that it's valuable and necessary for society to say "actually this poo poo sucks" and that some things are not in fact a matter of taste, and that it's ok to debate the qualitative values of things in our society. this is as true for marvel as it is for politics, one begets the other.

so yes, while legally enforced censorship is ostensibly less severe now, the machinations of capitalism and mass media have effectively become much more draconian censors than ages past.

with regards to the internet, i think this is of particular interest and something that i personally will likely endeavor on some degree of scholarship, hopefully. it is my contention that places like SA are indeed more akin to the drinking tavern of yore, and valuable. SA is ultimately just a website on the open internet, but more nuanced and expert analysis is required also. there is a fundamental difference between how this site is laid out and that of the larger social media sites. the *groan* algorithm (or lack thereof in our case) and how it sorts, filters, and displays posts is eminently relevant to how the "platform" sorts into the machinery of mass media in a capitalist system. there is a vast schism in the qualities of SA than, say, reddit or especially facebook. it sounds SUPER stupid but hell i believe it! for now. maybe im wrong. remains to be seen.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Even in today's hellworld it does kind of amaze me that homeless people appear to be completed exempt from the unreasonable search and seizure clause

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

https://bungacast.com/2022/04/05/252-technopopulism-toxic-politics-ft-carlo-invernizzi-accetti/

I thought this episode was really good, it's about how our current technopopulist political landscape exists today and how it came about- that previously we had politics that were based on group interests, left and right politics, etc. Once these groups are destroyed what we have is populism (I claim to represent The People, regardless of their affiliation), and technocracy (I represent Science), and how these two tendencies reinforce each other and make contemporary politics so incredibly toxic.

seems cool. will listen. thanks!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Zerg Mans posted:

Even in today's hellworld it does kind of amaze me that homeless people appear to be completed exempt from the unreasonable search and seizure clause

the state defines ‘reasonable’

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
like, no shame on people who are struggling with a problem for whatever reason, but idk how you type "I'm trying to only drink thursday through saturday", immediately followed up with saying fuckit I need a few bottles delivered on a sunday night and not realize you have issues with more than just finances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bishyaler posted:

lmfao the troop mods have declared it a free fire zone and are gunning down their collaborators too