Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
millions of years worth of solar energy and they used it to make trash bags lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A truly squandered inheritance.

I wonder what the pie chart would look like if you broke down the entire history of use of coal, oil and gas into what it was used for. Food production/distribution would probably be a big slice. Vacationing and pointless travel (commuting to bullshit jobs) would probably be up there too. Making useless poo poo would probably be the biggest slice of all

Microplastics has issued a correction as of 09:40 on Apr 15, 2022

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

coke posted:

lol saw this the other day

Holy gently caress

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I love the asterisk there. I know it's just explaining the amount of plastic involved in the claim but it's always funny to see anyway.

Save the Earth*!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Minera posted:

Love My Awesome Oil

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Only YOU can prevent forest fires, with the purchase of a full tank of gas at your nearest Shell station!

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Litter mountain altitude odious

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's true, if you throw more plastic in landfills it stops it going into the ocean.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bag em and tag em posted:

Technically not every living person will die in the coming catastrophe so suck on that doomailures.

that one is getting some play recently

"Doomers are telling you earth itself will Vaporize in the next 20 years! Aren't they fuckin Dumb! Not everyone and everything is going to immediately die people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Landfill miscellany avoids ocean

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's true, if you throw more plastic in landfills it stops it going into the ocean.

Until a certain level of sea level rise

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

coke posted:

lol saw this the other day

countdown to what?

countdown to WHAT???!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
trash bags are honestly the thing i care about the least

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I recently found out we're running out of sand to make glass with. There's a sand shortage coming. And mountains of microglass waste from recycling plants that we stuff into quarries and into workers' lungs. Don't want plastic bottles? I guess it's gonna be clay or wood from now on. There wouldn't happen to be a clay or wood shortage coming?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rodney The Yam II posted:

I recently found out we're running out of sand to make glass with. There's a sand shortage coming. And mountains of microglass waste from recycling plants that we stuff into quarries and into workers' lungs. Don't want plastic bottles? I guess it's gonna be clay or wood from now on. There wouldn't happen to be a clay or wood shortage coming?

clay? you better get invested in Serbia now before your child asks you why you didn’t.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

mawarannahr posted:

countdown to what?

countdown to WHAT???!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Start growing gords now so they can be dry and ready to use in a few years as water vessels

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rodney The Yam II posted:

in a worst case scenario you can absolutely refine the clay that’s just in the ground in lots of places and make pottery with it. there’s lots of clay

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

500excf type r posted:

Start growing gords now so they can be dry and ready to use in a few years as water vessels

as a previous gourd grower you should remember that you're also going to need wax, normal beeswax, of which I assume there will be no shortage.

What you do is grow up the gourds and hang them somewhere with good air circulation to dry. It might take a while, like even literally a year. Temp i think won't matter as long as they don't freeze while juicy, but freezing them is prob not a great idea. You might get like some weird looks on them because the outer layer of skin can flake off, and if it dries weird it will get a little mildew. If it's not super bad it should still be safe even if it gets spore spots, but clearly if it's growing a mushroom or bigly molds it may not be one you wanna use. If it cracks it's probably hosed.

you'll know when it's dried because you can shake it and all the seeds will be really loose in there, that's when you chop the mouth of the bottle from it and you should see seeds and completely dried inner membranes. Throw some pebbles in there and shake it until all of everything in there can be poured out as flakey dust. This might take a while and you might be better off with a bottle brush.

Then you need to have a pot of melted wax which you should pour into the gourd while it's warm. Depending on what kind of gourd it might not be woody and if it's too porous you want the gourd to be pretty hot so it might absorb as much wax as it can. You basically pour in wax, swirl it around, and dump it back into the pot, and let the wax solidify in the gourd. You kinda gotta get feel for how to do this because you want the wax to be as even an thin as possible.

Then when the wax inside is solidifed you rewax the inside again. Do it like 3-4 times, you want really thin & even wax layers on the entire inside of the bottle.

Once the inside's waxed and cool you can try pouring some water in and find out if you hosed up. You're gonna have to keep this thing dry and cool enough that the wax doesn't melt for it to not get screwed up. You can wax the outside too, it's easier cause you just dip the whole fucker into your wax pot.

Really the real rear end bottle gourd is the best one to use because how dense and woody the shell is. A lot of decorative gourds will be lovely and porous. Don't breathe the dust that comes off these things while you're working on them, but that basically goes for every kind of dust-producing work.

Growing the gourds themselves is basically exactly like growing pumpkin or some kinda melon imo. It's a squash.

Also anything you use to melt wax is basically on permanent wax duty until you completely melt the wax and dump it off and either vaporize what's left or burn the wax vapor or waste a ton of paper or napkins or whatever sucking up scalding hot as gently caress wax membrane that wets the pot. At least you can eat beeswax if you have to.

You can use paraffin wax but i don't like it so much, it makes the consistency weird, and iirc it's a petroleum product anyway. At least it's not full on plastic.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

BRJurgis posted:

Cancel everything. Grab all your possessions and jump into a landfill. Throws dirt at passersby. Hiss and bare your teeth at your own reflection.

tell us more about your phrenology-level views on (((bodily integrity)))

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

i don't think ill of the jew or the celestial, i just believe in racial hygiene

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

SniperWoreConverse posted:

as a previous gourd grower you should remember that you're also going to need wax, normal beeswax, of which I assume there will be no shortage.

What you do is grow up the gourds and hang them somewhere with good air circulation to dry. It might take a while, like even literally a year. Temp i think won't matter as long as they don't freeze while juicy, but freezing them is prob not a great idea. You might get like some weird looks on them because the outer layer of skin can flake off, and if it dries weird it will get a little mildew. If it's not super bad it should still be safe even if it gets spore spots, but clearly if it's growing a mushroom or bigly molds it may not be one you wanna use. If it cracks it's probably hosed.

you'll know when it's dried because you can shake it and all the seeds will be really loose in there, that's when you chop the mouth of the bottle from it and you should see seeds and completely dried inner membranes. Throw some pebbles in there and shake it until all of everything in there can be poured out as flakey dust. This might take a while and you might be better off with a bottle brush.

Then you need to have a pot of melted wax which you should pour into the gourd while it's warm. Depending on what kind of gourd it might not be woody and if it's too porous you want the gourd to be pretty hot so it might absorb as much wax as it can. You basically pour in wax, swirl it around, and dump it back into the pot, and let the wax solidify in the gourd. You kinda gotta get feel for how to do this because you want the wax to be as even an thin as possible.

Then when the wax inside is solidifed you rewax the inside again. Do it like 3-4 times, you want really thin & even wax layers on the entire inside of the bottle.

Once the inside's waxed and cool you can try pouring some water in and find out if you hosed up. You're gonna have to keep this thing dry and cool enough that the wax doesn't melt for it to not get screwed up. You can wax the outside too, it's easier cause you just dip the whole fucker into your wax pot.

Really the real rear end bottle gourd is the best one to use because how dense and woody the shell is. A lot of decorative gourds will be lovely and porous. Don't breathe the dust that comes off these things while you're working on them, but that basically goes for every kind of dust-producing work.

Growing the gourds themselves is basically exactly like growing pumpkin or some kinda melon imo. It's a squash.

Also anything you use to melt wax is basically on permanent wax duty until you completely melt the wax and dump it off and either vaporize what's left or burn the wax vapor or waste a ton of paper or napkins or whatever sucking up scalding hot as gently caress wax membrane that wets the pot. At least you can eat beeswax if you have to.

You can use paraffin wax but i don't like it so much, it makes the consistency weird, and iirc it's a petroleum product anyway. At least it's not full on plastic.

quoting this post because it owns

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

trash bags are honestly the thing i care about the least

It's what goes in them that makes me mad! If it can break down, why isn't it going into your compost bin? You live in an apartment? Why doesn't the building have a communal compost? (I am not criticizing individuals here, I don't expect people to have worm bins in their apartments). And anyway if it can't break down, what the gently caress is it? Metal? Recycle it. Metal is actually recyclable. Glass? Reuse it. loving wash it out and give it back to the bottler. Oh, they're far away? Standardize bottle/jar sizes so they can be reused by someone who is local. Pass a law. Oh, it's none of those? Must be plastic. Landfill time! Everything is just so goddamn stupid and wasteful.

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 15:39 on Apr 15, 2022

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Tungsten posted:

tell us more about your phrenology-level views on (((bodily integrity)))

So we do want to talk about me or what. As a 12 year old I didn't appreciate why some folks can say the nword but others can't. Through discussing and listening and giving a gently caress I overcame that narrow minded take.

I'm still here listening and giving a gently caress (though the challenges and nuances of the struggle of Trans people isn't exactly my main focus, it's climate). The whole point I've been getting at is building coalitions of people who want to fight against the discrimination, exploitation, and cruelty that so many face under our current unsustainable and doomed systems. I asked if having a view like mine was reason to turn away allies (especially with red states putting bounties on Trans kids and separating families) and explicitly stated my support of Trans people and their right to choose their own medical treatments. Even in D&D the result was a reactionary dogpile, so I don't expect anything constructive here in where we delight in flaming dunks. And the Trans sports thread has been through enough.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how I feel about this to anybody but myself and those who know me, but surely you agree that being able to discuss these things is important, and we should strive to identify who is being a hateful troll vs who is interested in sincere discussion. If you're interested in that sincere discussion, PM me or point me at a subforum or thread where it won't be seen as trolling.

Also the dsa green new deal zoom was last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfIEitP8DI4. I know, lol lmao but it helps me at least to see people talking about this in a serious way. Most of my people consider me a doomer (though they're not likely familiar with the term) and it really is frustrating gaslighting just because they won't sincerely engage with the issue.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Lol thinking about how i didn't learn until I was like 32 that almost all recycling is a scam.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
I guess paper is sort of recyclable but nowadays it's sandwiched with so much plastic (tetrapaks, etc) that it's often not recyclable either.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Minera posted:

Love My Awesome Oil
Lifetime of Litter, Love My Awesome Oil :lovebird:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Oh my god I can't believe the trans derail almost made me miss this absolutely insanely good gourd post.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

The Protagonist posted:

ive broken down goons, im interviewing monday with a major local fabricator to design stainless steel tschotskes because i dont want to starve or be homeless :negative:

It's ok, I work for a national chain of car dealerships, we all do what we must to survive

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mayor Dave posted:

It's ok, I work for a national chain of car dealerships, we all do what we must to survive

My company builds poo poo for the Air Force

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mediaphage posted:

in a worst case scenario you can absolutely refine the clay that’s just in the ground in lots of places and make pottery with it. there’s lots of clay

I’ve been doing a lot of pottery the past year and that’s not true. a lot of clays aren’t suited to kiln firing especially to food safe levels (cone 10 in particular). like sand, not all clay is suited

there’s also been a throwing clay shortage recently

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

This is very gourd information

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Definitely quoting this so I can find it later

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We made gourd glasses and bowls and such in elementary school for a project in TN. I always loved that poo poo more than anything else we did.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
it seems to me a great deal of commodity packaging could be replaced with hemp paper (waxed as necessary) but hemp as a wonder plant has been pretty effectively character assassinated as hippy poo poo in the minds of americans

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
went to the shores of lake erie today and everywhere i looked, plastic waste on the beach

:(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Xaris posted:

I’ve been doing a lot of pottery the past year and that’s not true. a lot of clays aren’t suited to kiln firing especially to food safe levels (cone 10 in particular). like sand, not all clay is suited

there’s also been a throwing clay shortage recently

my spouse is a potter and i’ve also taken classes with them. i think it’s hilarious to suggest that society may collapse to the point of not having containers but goons are suggesting that natural clay would be inappropriate because their infrastructure-powered kilns would still be working fine.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Lol thinking about how i didn't learn until I was like 32 that almost all recycling is a scam.

My partner and I have both watched the Marketplace video where they go to Malaysia to track recycled plastic from Canada and they find out that most of it is just being piled up or burnt. Which means putting your plastic in the recycling bin is objectively worse than landfilling it locally or burning it. But I can't stop her from washing out every piece of plastic and putting it in the recycling bin. It's been drummed into us so hard that Good People Recycle.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I have 1000 mugs already. When everything collapses I won't need to dry out a ding dang gourd to drink out of. Now, clean, safe water to put IN my 1000 mugs is gonna be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

my spouse is a potter and i’ve also taken classes with them. i think it’s hilarious to suggest that society may collapse to the point of not having containers but goons are suggesting that natural clay would be inappropriate because their infrastructure-powered kilns would still be working fine.

Where we're going, we won't need 10 cone glazes