Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

someusername posted:

All this was sober thankfully
Oh good, I was worried for a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

More info: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cyclist-billed-by-icbc-vows-fight-1.6408042

Essentially it sounds like if the driver just says "no it was the bike's fault" and there's no way to prove it either way, they'll split the costs between both parties, and since cyclists don't have insurance that basically just means they'll charge the cyclist half of the damage to the car.

mystes has issued a correction as of 18:52 on Apr 15, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

an actual frog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SK8PHILE6s

More "Silver Zones" in cities, please.

Infact, make the entire city a "silver zone" while we're at it
If we had "silver zones" in the US they would be zones where elderly drivers are allowed to run people over and their cars into buildings with impunity

The system Singapore uses looks pretty good (however a system where you don't even need to push the button might be better)

mystes has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Apr 15, 2022

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

mystes posted:

More info: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cyclist-billed-by-icbc-vows-fight-1.6408042

Essentially it sounds like if the driver just says "no it was the bike's fault" and there's no way to prove it either way, they'll split the costs between both parties, and since cyclists don't have insurance that basically just means they'll charge the cyclist half of the damage to the car.
I noticed that this insurance system was cooked up by some guy from Canada's social democrats. Very progressive!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Apparently the UK has fancier "puffin crossings" that have sensors so they can stay red to cars for as long as necessary until pedestrians are all the way across in addition to "pelican crossing" that are like HAWK signals in the US (initially solid red lights that switch to flashing to indicate that cars can proceed if there are no longer pedestrians in the crosswalk)

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

The UK crossings, which I will list because I lived near an experimental one as a child and so learnt about them. I also enjoy the tortured nomenclature.

Zebra crossing (because it's black and white): the original. Not light controlled. Cars must stop if a pedestrian is waiting to cross.

Pelican crossing (PEdestrian LIght CONtrolled): Pushbutton traffic light type. Being phased out.

Puffin crossing (Pedestrian User Friendly INtelligent): the replacement for the Pelican, now very common in heavily traffic areas. Pushbutton controlled with sensors so the lights stay red until the pedestrians have finished crossing. Some also have sensors which cancel the pushbutton request if the pedestrian leaves without crossing.

Toucan crossing (Two Can Cross): a puffin which also has a bicycle crossing (so is wider, and has a set of lights for bikes)

Pegasus crossing (didn't even try): A pedestrian crossing but for people on horses.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

the most popular parking areas here (one is a very centrally located ramp, the other is a garage) have like a 10-20 year wait list lol

I knew a guy in college who knew someone that worked for the university transportation department, and got one of those passes that let you park literally anywhere, haha. like the ones employees who fix poo poo around campus and such have. you can park in restricted areas, you can even park right next to campus buildings in areas that are typically closed off to cars.

:thermidor:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"Oh I see we’re buying into the 'individuals cause climate change' fallacy," I smugly reply to someone telling me that cars should not exist

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's not systemic if I'm participating in it

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Graphs you can clearly see the Reagan presidency on.png

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Horace posted:

Pegasus crossing (didn't even try): A pedestrian crossing but for people on horses.

lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

I appreciate the commitment to using dumb animal names though

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Lastgirl posted:

Insular Disney-like enclaves with decades of decadence has calcified their yogurt brain

Please tell me how much water you use for your cashew tree on your front lawn in Phoenix

In northern Scottsdale (the section of sprawl to the northeast of phoenix) they built a bunch of million dollar homes that were too far out frome existing utilities so they had to use wells. The residents depleted the water table there in less than a year and now rely entirely on super expensive water deliveries from trucks every few days. The homes are still valued extremely high.

That's the future of the entire American West.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

also one of the people that oversaw a group of rooms in my first year freshman dorm (it's called an RA I think) asked if I wanted to go check out a museum. I said sure but asked where he parked his car. Well he took his bike with him, and he ran his bike throught he parking ramp entrance which caused the sensor to think it was a car, printing out a parking slip. In this garage the first 15 minutes are free, so he used this slip to exit, thus giving him unlimited free parking.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The Skeleton King posted:

In northern Scottsdale (the section of sprawl to the northeast of phoenix) they built a bunch of million dollar homes that were too far out frome existing utilities so they had to use wells. The residents depleted the water table there in less than a year and now rely entirely on super expensive water deliveries from trucks every few days. The homes are still valued extremely high.

my wife is interviewing at a job in Arcata it seems pretty wet there. good gravel biking tho

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maybe one day we'll remember how to live in and with an environment rather than in constant opposition to it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Maybe one day we'll remember how to live in and with an environment rather than in constant opposition to it.

Doing it that way is cheaper too, since you don't need to pay extra to transport water or reduce/increase the temperature.

But y'know capitalism is effishunt

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

someone in the biosphere collapse thread shared a video not too long ago about the hayden-rhodes aqueduct, which in some stretches is slightly elevated relative to the surrounding desert, so the engineers accidentally created a thriving ecosystem on both sides of the canal, consisting of indigenous flora and fauna, that is supported solely from incidental rainwater drainage and collection. a green oasis that is measurably cooler than the surrounding desert.

it is well within our capacity to harness the natural environment to create a 'sustainable' society in the desert that is within the bounds of comfortable human habitation, as the Hohokam did when they dug the original canal system upon which Phoenix was built. would such a society have a temporary carrying capacity of several million tho? and would it facilitate economic "productivity"? well lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Proposal:

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

This is not a vehicle of honor... no highly esteemed mode of transportation is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.

Reality: Oh boy, a burial ground for something important!

Also, lmao at getting ddosed again

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ban cars or live in them forever

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

fuuuck lmao

Water wars will have people hijacking convoys like these from the monarchs using it on their lawns so their people can drink

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

the video is loving insane lol. police completely uninterested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlU4XP2o02w

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/deer-park-bicyclist-jeep-road-rage-17084052.php

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

When asked why there was no more investigation, Coats said "it was kind of a 'he said, she said' thing."

The cyclist said he spoke with investigators again Friday, who said the driver gave officers a different version of events but was not charged or cited.
Gee, it's a shame there's absolutely no way of figuring out which of these people is telling the truth other than talking to them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jesus christ

I love that even with actual footage the police still don't give a poo poo and the only way to even try to get them to do their job is to go to a newspaper and get tons of people to start complaining.

Also after watching way too many videos from that channel Boywhiz88 linked, I literally just ordered a cheap action camera to use when biking but after seeing this I guess it doesn't make any difference anyway.

mystes has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Apr 16, 2022

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

what even could be a "different version of events" that would explain what happened? did he tell the cops there were bees in the car attacking him and he was swerving on accident? officer, i was saying i hope you die to the BEES. i made a u-turn and came back down the road to try to give them the slip. sorry i almost had a little traffic oopsie!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mystes posted:

I literally just ordered a cheap action camera to use when biking but after seeing this I guess it doesn't make any difference anyway.

carry some c4 with a dead man switch instead

mystes
May 31, 2006

Norton posted:

what even could be a "different version of events" that would explain what happened? did he tell the cops there were bees in the car attacking him and he was swerving on accident? officer, i was saying i hope you die to the BEES. i made a u-turn and came back down the road to try to give them the slip. sorry i almost had a little traffic oopsie!!
I assume the driver just said "nuh-uh" and the cops were like "gently caress cyclists, we're not even going to spend one minute watching the video."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

I assume the driver just said "nuh-uh" and the cops were like "gently caress cyclists, we're not even going to spend one minute watching the video."

mystes posted:

Jesus christ

I love that even with actual footage the police still don't give a poo poo and the only way to even try to get them to do their job is to go to a newspaper and get tons of people to start complaining.

Also after watching way too many videos from that channel Boywhiz88 linked, I literally just ordered a cheap action camera to use when biking but after seeing this I guess it doesn't make any difference anyway.

Norton posted:

I mean, this is Texas, the same place where a dude rolling coal ran over six bicyclists and was allowed to leave the scene, didn't even get a ticket until the piece of poo poo pig motherfuckers and the DA started getting hit on Facebook about it.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Norton posted:

jeep driver is a cop

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

I mean, this is Texas, the same place where a dude rolling coal ran over six bicyclists and was allowed to leave the scene, didn't even get a ticket until the piece of poo poo pig motherfuckers and the DA started getting hit on Facebook about it.

last I checked for an update on this it has gone nowhere

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

jeep driver is a cop

not even necessary. all the worst impulses of conservatism are manifested most strongly in cops. this includes car brain. any cop learning of this situation is going to reflexively side with the car driver because they agree with them

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm in Philadelphia and I still wish that I live in a world where there's these absolutely giant free municipal parking garages that exist under the city, and also street parking is illegal. In my dream essentially there's a Morlock layer under the entire city and it's all parking

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

send all the cars down there and then detonate explosives at the entrance like in the dark knight rises

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fill it with grues

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm in Philadelphia and I still wish that I live in a world where there's these absolutely giant free municipal parking garages that exist under the city, and also street parking is illegal. In my dream essentially there's a Morlock layer under the entire city and it's all parking

In Tampere Finland we have lots of expensive underground parking. They are removing aboveground parking slowly but surely and making it even more expensive than underground parking. It seems to work relatively well.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love it when DOTs brag about their embarrassingly bad work

https://twitter.com/Tucson_DTM/status/1515076267850317825?t=ubV2S0HTeLIbf2vZyjE9zg&s=19

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would love to just share a car between me and someone else in my building, but it doesn't really seem worth it, given I own my current vehicle, I don't have a lot of costs in terms of insurance and gas, and if I sold it I'd only get maybe 12k.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
ive thought a lot about throwing my car on getaround. I do live in an airport city and I know car rental places cant get their hands on enough cars. Would be interested to hear if anyone had luck with the platform

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od_PmtmMDV0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

A woman in Georgia hit and killed a 17-year-old on a bike and, she was visibly intoxicated so the cops gave her a blood test (which showed that she had gabapentin, benzodiazepines, diazepam, meclizine, and methamphetamine in her system) and they charged her with a DUI, but they STILL blamed the 17-year-old for being hit and refused to charge the driver for that.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2022/0...arly-two-years/