Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sorry, but no. Don't let a family move in with you if you're gonna pout about a baby crying between the hours of 8:00 and 10:00am.

And the husband, good grief. God doesn't make quiet toddlers.

It really depends on what the kids are doing and what OP means by “everything in her power.” I kinda get the vibe from he instance that’s everything MIL does is fake that she’s just letting her kids run around and like bust into her room in the morning versus the MIL just freaking out about crying in the other room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sorry, but no. Don't let a family move in with you if you're gonna pout about a baby crying between the hours of 8:00 and 10:00am.

Oh I think they all probably suck to some amount of other, I just think OP is the worst for coming into a charitable housing situation and being all "someone could want to enjoy their relaxed morning schedule?! Nobody needs that!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can see that--my own mother-in-law was in a similar situation where her houseguests let their child literally jump all over the place and piss on the floor.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Halloween Jack posted:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It really depends on what the kids are doing and what OP means by “everything in her power.” I kinda get the vibe from he instance that’s everything MIL does is fake that she’s just letting her kids run around and like bust into her room in the morning versus the MIL just freaking out about crying in the other room

It's a 6-7 bedroom house, it's hard to believe there isn't a place to corral the children where they won't bother people sleeping for a couple hours hours per day.

Lashing out with "your emotions aren't real" isn't a great look for the OP.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Like the guy in the 8-9 bedroom house wants to hear kids before 10. COME ON.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for reminding my father in law that I’m sleeping with his daughter at a family event?

whole family sucks but lol at trying to counter toxic gender bullshit by telling a guy that you're loving his female family member in the same way you'd tell him that you poo poo in the upper deck of his toilet

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Cthulu Carl posted:

OP also missed an opportunity - when the brother joined in and said OP looks like the type to wear skirts, OP should have asked "Why would you think that, you like looking at me rear end? It's OK, the heart wants what the heart wants, but the only person in this family getting between my legs is your sister when she's gargling my balls."

"heh you think i'm gay? well maybe you're the gay, gay" isn't really a good look either.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sisal Two-Step posted:

"heh you think i'm gay? well maybe you're the gay, gay" isn't really a good look either.

Neither is the original "oh, yeah, you're being sexist? How about I try to out-sexist you?"

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Sisal Two-Step posted:

How about "Why are you thinking of me in a skirt ? Is there something you'd like to tell us ? "

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
never wrestle with a pig

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

haveblue posted:

never wrestle with a pig

Aww, what's the pig ever done to you?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

There's a lot of people smarter and more eloquent than me who have written why the ol' "accusing the homophobe of being gay" is a bad and harmful thing for the queer community, but I'll just sum it up by saying it shifts the burden of homophobia away from the straights.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Neither is the original "oh, yeah, you're being sexist? How about I try to out-sexist you?"

nope the original sucked too.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Some people will back down and show respect if you stand up to them one on one, sure. But these guys seem the type where none of them will let anybody ever live it down if that sissy city boy poet got the better of them so they'd probably organise some kind of hunting accident to put things right again.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Isn't that literally the plot of Straw Dogs?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Man, I'm so happy that I don't know anyone like the people in this thread.

The mama's boys, the insanely abusive boomer dads, the drama-hungry lunatics, the moms that would prefer their kids think they have "accidents" on the reg than teach them about periods.

you know, middle america

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In every dream home, a heartache.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

captainOrbital posted:

Man, I'm so happy that I don't know anyone like the people in this thread.

" the insanely abusive boomer dads"

The sticks home for me, it seemed like all the kids I knew growing up had complete pricks for fathers who wanted their kids to fear them. I was lucky
to only have a few run-ins with my father but it still made me not like him very much.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/emily_murnane/status/1514732664162455552

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

2 petite is right

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In comments, somebody said that they worked in bridal in the '90s, and there's no such thing as a bridal 2. They started at 4 or 6.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That dress is crazy dated. Who even wants her tacky old frock?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

I'm not sure she even has granddaughters yet.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I love my large adult granddaughters

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

[five seconds later] We regret to inform you that 1994 Wedding Dress Lady is racist

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

haveblue posted:

never wrestle with a pig

Alternatively, always wrestle with the pig - its goofy fun.

Here's the goofy look of a guy who wrestles with pigs

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm pretty sure country fairs in the South have pig wrestling competitions. Everybody participating seems to enjoy those.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Everybody participating seems to enjoy those.

I have never seen one. How sure are you the pigs enjoy it too?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gin posted:

Okay, the kids I saw volunteering to go wrestle the pigs seemed excited about the prospect, that's what I actually saw. It wasn't an event I was interested in. The public auction was pretty funny if I recall correctly, I could barely understand the auctioneer.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

Gin posted:

They say, WHEE~ Whee~~ Wheeeee~~~~

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

[five seconds later] We regret to inform you that 1994 Wedding Dress Lady is racist

https://twitter.com/KitKatLynne/status/1515001659994292225

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"seems to me the 'manliest' thing i can do is not give a poo poo what any of you have to say." usually works for me

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yes just what everyone always wanted, an 80's princess-style wedding dress, with the huge-rear end poof-sleeves and everything

she wasn't getting rid of that thing even if someone fit into it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"Keep this up and you'll never see your grandkids."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I'm not sure she even has granddaughters yet.

Somebody did the math and the granddaughters are at most 9. But obviously "they take after their mothers."

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Motronic posted:

Like the guy in the 8-9 bedroom house wants to hear kids before 10. COME ON.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for telling my pregnant wife being pregnant isn’t as bad as having cancer

quote:

So my (29M) wife (29F) and I are expecting our first child in about a month, and I’d like to emphasize before getting into any of this that we are both very excited and love each other very much.

This has been a really tough pregnancy, and although there haven’t been any issues threatening the life of my wife or the baby, the mood swings and depression in addition to the general shittiness of pregnancy have really taken a toll. I know it might be hard to take me at my word on this, but I really have been doing my absolute best to support her in any way I can, and she is very appreciative of this, but last night she was complaining about swelling, diarrhea, mood swings, etc, and she said something along the lines of “now I know how you must’ve felt when you were treating” (for context, I had aggressive bone cancer as a teenager, and I needed intensive chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery). This really rubbed me the wrong way, but I kept it to myself cause I knew she just needed to vent and my gatekeeping suffering wasn’t going to accomplish anything.

Later, she made the comparison again, and I asked her to stop. She asked why and I told her that it’s not the same and that, although pregnancy can be traumatic in its own and sometimes similar ways, I knew what I went through and her current symptoms would’ve been the least of my worries. I fully acknowledge that from her perspective this must’ve felt extremely invalidating, but it honestly is the truth. I don’t want to fetishize my own suffering or anything, but I still do take some about of pride in what I’ve overcome, and it felt disrespectful for her to minimize that. In her defense, she didn’t know me when I was going through this, and I don’t talk about it much, so I doubt she has a super clear idea of what my treatment was like, but it still felt like a huge leap to equate the two.

She started crying and I tried to comfort her, but she, unsurprisingly, doesn’t want to talk to me. I am used to more extreme reactions than her normal self would have due to pregnancy, so I don’t really feel the need to continue to hash this out with her unless y’all think I’m the AH here and need to apologize. AITA for minimizing what she’s going through?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
saw this and immediately thought of this thread

https://twitter.com/smileeBWR/status/1515029802671124491

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

there is no loving way on god's green earth that someone named a child Cannon. I know it's true but I just refuse to believe it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
"There were claims circulated by politically conservative social media users and by conservative news outlets that mainstream news outlets other than Fox News were not reporting about the story because they did not want to report about a black man killing a white child. However, according to Snopes, the incident had been covered by local and national media, and there was no evidence of a cover-up.[1][13]

Conservative social media users also appropriated phrases from the anti-racist policing movement in support of Hinnant.[1] Hinnant's mother posted to Facebook stating that Hinnant's death had nothing to do with race. She also specifically requested that people stop comparing her son's death to the murder of George Floyd.[2] "