Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Residency Evil posted:

Genuinely curious if doping has become less prevalent in the peloton with the lack of positives in the past few years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_at_the_Tour_de_France#Status_of_Tour_de_France_winners_since_1961

or if they're using something new/just have gotten even more paranoid about being caught in season.

The years between Contador and Sky were generally seen as relatively clean, based a lot on climbing performance.

Sky has never specifically been implicated but there's enough smoke that it's either a series of incredibly unfortunate coincidences, or they were doing institutional doping. Like Armstrong they had political clout because they were backed by News Corp and the British media, both of whom stood to get the UCI tons of media money.

A lot of people have been suspicious of the Slovene Sauce (Roglic/Pogacar) though I don't think there have been any serious findings yet. Also a lot of these people are Br*tish media guys who ignored when Chris Froome suddenly went from nearly getting fired for underperformance to setting record times up Mount Ventoux (it helps Pogacar that he was basically always seen as a mega-talent, though he's probably on some poo poo because cycling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ArmZ posted:

I wish alonso had got his bike team :smith:

he didn't know about the bribe money that would get his team all registered and official like, allegedly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the dirtiest sport going isn't cycling, it's almost certainly a tie between track-and-field and tennis.

I always like pointing out that Serena Williams once literally hid in a panic room in her house when blood testers showed up to do random tests. If there's a numerical Doping Suspicion Score, "hid in a panic room from blood testers" gives you something like +9000 points. (Much like Armstrong, Williams also has huge media influence to run interference for her)

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The years between Contador and Sky were generally seen as relatively clean, based a lot on climbing performance.

Sky has never specifically been implicated but there's enough smoke that it's either a series of incredibly unfortunate coincidences, or they were doing institutional doping. Like Armstrong they had political clout because they were backed by News Corp and the British media, both of whom stood to get the UCI tons of media money.

A lot of people have been suspicious of the Slovene Sauce (Roglic/Pogacar) though I don't think there have been any serious findings yet. Also a lot of these people are Br*tish media guys who ignored when Chris Froome suddenly went from nearly getting fired for underperformance to setting record times up Mount Ventoux (it helps Pogacar that he was basically always seen as a mega-talent, though he's probably on some poo poo because cycling)

Pogacar may be a phenom, but holy gently caress he climbs mountains like he's doped to the gills, I've never seen anything like it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Pogcar?

Isn’t that whatever car Lando is driving?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also the dirtiest sport going isn't cycling, it's almost certainly a tie between track-and-field and tennis.

I always like pointing out that Serena Williams once literally hid in a panic room in her house when blood testers showed up to do random tests. If there's a numerical Doping Suspicion Score, "hid in a panic room from blood testers" gives you something like +9000 points. (Much like Armstrong, Williams also has huge media influence to run interference for her)

Hiding in a panic room to avoid a drug test ain't got nothing on hiding underneath the cage. Jon Jones will always be the GOAT. (Russian Olympic team is the actual greatest.)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Pogacar may be a phenom, but holy gently caress he climbs mountains like he's doped to the gills, I've never seen anything like it.

Pogacar is who I was thinking of. It's insane.

I follow rowing more closely than cycling/track and field, but it's funny how little you hear about doping in rowing in comparison.

Because no one's making money rowing.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Pogacar is who I was thinking of. It's insane.

I follow rowing more closely than cycling/track and field, but it's funny how little you hear about doping in rowing in comparison.

Because no one's making money rowing.

I watched The Novice the other day it wasn't bad

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Only if you mean they tie for a distant second behind pro wrestling, yes

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm thinking of taking tennis lessons this year.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Hiding in a panic room to avoid a drug test ain't got nothing on hiding underneath the cage. Jon Jones will always be the GOAT. (Russian Olympic team is the actual greatest.)

I was going to bring this one up. Jon Jones is the GOAT for doping, in the cage, and also hitting pregnant women with his car

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

your friend wicka posted:

Only if you mean they tie for a distant second behind pro wrestling, yes

Weightlifting apparently was also dirty enough that it got kicked off the Olympics because the worldwide org gives zero shits about testing, too

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The question becomes what's the cleanest sport? (In terms of drugs)

My money is on....diving?

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 15, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Any sport with judges is almost certainly not clean.

Its amazing to think that boxing was once one of the most popular Olympic sports. American boxers who got medals were like household names.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

rifle competition i imagine

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Curling is a noble and honest sport played by only those with the highest levels of Lewis Hamilton approved integrity.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Declan MacManus posted:

Iirc beta blockers were/are used.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hurling, but only because there is a culture of the RA kneecapping people they catch doing drugs.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

https://www.discovermagazine.com/mind/olympic-pistol-shooter-used-anti-trembling-drug-to-steady-his-hands

North Korea knows what's up.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

A lot of niche sports that you'd assume are clean are actually super dirty because they get basically no attention from anti-doping regulators. I'd put my money on something like basketball, but it's also worth noting that "cleanest sport" is a lot like "most relatable F1 driver" - you gotta grade on a steep curve.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

billiards
darts
cornhole

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Handball is just all cheats, second hand knowledge - all kinds of glue in the hands and all kinds of doping in the blood

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Darts is just fat men having fun

E: I'd be willing to bet most darts pro players are kind of drunk

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Chess maybe. I think too much caffeine counts as being drugged.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

orange sky posted:

Darts is just fat men having fun

E: I'd be willing to bet most darts pro players are kind of drunk

“I play better when I’m drunk” should be the free square on a bar bingo card.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

busalover posted:

Chess maybe. I think too much caffeine counts as being drugged.

This led me to this pretty great TCC style post:
https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/this-is-how-different-drugs-affect-my-play

quote:

LSD (150 micrograms):
"Did I change my board theme to rainbow hexagons? Why does my music sound like its coming out of my head, not my headphones? Oh, I'm playing chess! Yes, what a lovely game. A battle between two minds, there's truly nothing like it..."
I notice that I am very good at spotting tactics playing on LSD. This is when you temporarily sacrifice material for a lethal attack, or a long term advantage in the game. Looking back on my games from LSD trips, I'm amazed at how innovatively I play. I make moves that sober me wouldn't never even consider... Overall, acid makes me a much more creative player. I play with aggression and vigor, creating threats with every move. LSD + Chess = amazing!

Shrooms (3g):
"A human. There is a human I am playing against across the internet. It feels that our minds are linked over such a vast expanse of space and time. Oh, right, I need to move."

I'm sorry, but I play like a r on shrooms. Maybe it's the way psylocibin affects the brain, but I blunder every 5 moves. An interesting thing I noticed, however, is that I'm much more compassionate when playing on mushrooms. I congratulate my opponent on their win, and am impressed by their cleverness. But overall, LSD is the superior psychedelic for chess.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hell yeah

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Disc Golf unless smoking hella weed is performance enhancing.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Abisteen posted:

its on the list

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Abisteen posted:

there was a snowboarder in i think the vancouver games who lost his gold medal because of weed lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

boop the snoot posted:

Curling is a noble and honest sport played by only those with the highest levels of Lewis Hamilton approved integrity.

a russian lost a medal i think in mixed doubles in 2018 or 2014.

ArmZ posted:

there was a snowboarder in i think the vancouver games who lost his gold medal because of weed lmao

ross rebagliati won gold in nagano, had his medal taken away because of a positive test (saying it was because he was at a party and someone was smoking near him), won an appeal and got his medal back and now owns a medical marijuana company lol

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
:dumbrim:

net work error posted:

I don't understand watch stuff. I just want to know what time it is!
Time to get a watch op!

italian quid posted:

I'm thinking of taking tennis lessons this year.

Golf is the superior fancy rich person’s sport

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Tennis is fun but unlike golf you can't really play it 6 beers deep.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Golf, tennis, F1. If it's a sport that's boring as hell to watch on TV, this thread has it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Gigi Galli posted:

Tennis is fun but unlike golf you can't really play it 6 beers deep.

This is why golf, like bowling, are truly sports of the people.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

acidx posted:

Golf, tennis, F1. If it's a sport that's boring as hell to watch on TV, this thread has it.

We literally JUST talked about curling

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also cycling

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Uh curling is edge of your seat action.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Curling is legitimately far more exciting to watch than golf. In fact, pro golf should be changed so the caddie brushes the green ahead of the ball on approach shots, chips, and putts over ten feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Squash is much more fun than tennis.