Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I feel like a Corsi Rosenthal box could have saved that woman's life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also MAID might be better than her hanging herself but the absolute bleakest part of the article is when the physician mentions a bunch of other people with MCS had since contacted them to apply for MAID after hearing her story, and you realize it's now government sponsored eugenics

e: there, summarized the discussion for the new page

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 11:34 on Apr 15, 2022

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I feel like a Corsi Rosenthal box could have saved that woman's life

A high merv filter can remove smoke and other fine particles, but some chemicals and odours won't be cleared out by a mechanical filter. That's why many commercial air filters have an activated carbon prefilter. Activated carbon can capture individual molecules that won't be caught by a furnace filter or even a hepa filter. Since activated carbon has to be changed more often it probably wouldn't make sense to add it to the corsi cube, but it shouldn't be hard to rig up a second fan with activated carbon filter media.

I don't know, it feels like people with this disorder have to have thought about air filters. Especially the last 2 years when everyone was talking about air stuff.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

tokin opposition posted:

The Giver is an utopian fiction now

this forced me to pronounce this as οὐτόπος instead of εὖτόπος , so congrats on messing up my brain for the morning

30.5 Days posted:

The random elected officials who blew her off did not sit down with an actuary to decide if it was worth giving her a house, or making the salvation army's life miserable until they renovated her, room, or just letting her jump the line for subsidized housing or the half dozen other things they could have done. The entire governmental system of the western world is on autopilot and politicians don't even pretend to be in the business of making peoples' lives better. Asking institutions to do things for people who need it, or really making any decision at all beyond moving paperwork from IN to OUT is going to be met with the same response her team of doctors was: gaping silence.

it is worth noting that this is not the output of any cultural norm peculiar to the west, unless you consider faith in complex bureaucracies to be a peculiarly western phenomena. the base constructive principles of a bureaucracy - compartmentalized roles, policies & their implementation, legalism, fungibility of bureaucrats, rigid hierarchy - make that outcome inevitable, even desirable. as stalin said, bureaucracy is the price we pay for impartiality, and any functional bureaucracy is going to be a bunch of people who have to set aside their human feelings about cases to instead prioritize if the paperwork was filed correctly, living with faith that the rules & the process are more important than their own judgment. to have a bureaucracy that does not function in that way is to have a totally nonfunctional bureaucracy

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tulip posted:

as stalin said, bureaucracy is the price we pay for impartiality, and any functional bureaucracy is going to be a bunch of people who have to set aside their human feelings about cases to instead prioritize if the paperwork was filed correctly, living with faith that the rules & the process are more important than their own judgment. to have a bureaucracy that does not function in that way is to have a totally nonfunctional bureaucracy

stalin was wrong about that, and capitalism proves it every day, through towering city blocks of bank-men who have the ears of prime ministers; million-headed armies of nations and the love of your own mother. et cetera.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

A high merv filter can remove smoke and other fine particles, but some chemicals and odours won't be cleared out by a mechanical filter. That's why many commercial air filters have an activated carbon prefilter. Activated carbon can capture individual molecules that won't be caught by a furnace filter or even a hepa filter. Since activated carbon has to be changed more often it probably wouldn't make sense to add it to the corsi cube, but it shouldn't be hard to rig up a second fan with activated carbon filter media.

I don't know, it feels like people with this disorder have to have thought about air filters. Especially the last 2 years when everyone was talking about air stuff.

I think medical science has a long way to go on this stuff.

I had some professional contact with a group of "toxic mold" sufferers, and they're clearly going through something, but they can't really get answers from doctors and eventually get dismissed as malingering or insane. And for some of them, it most definitely is psychosomatic, and they don't help themselves by deciding it must be mold, but it's a big group of people and they're generally preyed upon by quacks and snake oil salesmen rather than helped by doctors.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Facebook Aunt posted:

MCS is almost certainly psychosomatic, studies show that sufferers cannot distinguish between actual chemical exposure and placebo.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lazyhound posted:

MCS is almost certainly psychosomatic, studies show that sufferers cannot distinguish between actual chemical exposure and placebo.

Getting your airways irritated by smoke isn't.

Go ahead and say the silent part out loud, you're fooling nobody.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It being psychosomatic would change the appropriate treatment, but wouldn't change the pain and suffering she felt.

I don't know if it's psychosomatic or physiological, but one is not more "real" than the other.

(although people will often use psychosomatic pejoratively, but I will given posters here the benefit of the doubt, until they prove otherwise)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_radsn9bW2z1r0uzl6.mp4

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

aww someones got the tippy tappies

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It being psychosomatic would change the appropriate treatment, but wouldn't change the pain and suffering she felt.

I don't know if it's psychosomatic or physiological, but one is not more "real" than the other.

(although people will often use psychosomatic pejoratively, but I will given posters here the benefit of the doubt, until they prove otherwise)
Yeah, this is a big thing that a lot of people tend to forget. Just because the cause isn't physical doesn't make their pain and suffering any less real.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It could be both. There are lots of people who have some sensitivities. It would be easy to extrapolate all your problems to whatever trace smells you encounter.

Examples:
  • She could be sensitive to smoke and living in housing with bad circulation where everyone else smokes is irritating, loads of non-smokers are sensitive enough to seek out hotels with non-smoking rooms or non-smoking floors. For lots of non-smokers smoke smells bad and makes you cough a bit.
  • I have a cute glitter hairspray I don't use because the smell gives me an instant headache. Some perfumes and scented products do the same thing, I get a whiff of it and instant headache. But it goes away within 20 minutes and doesn't really affect my life so I've never looked into which specific ingredients might be the problem.
  • Early in the pandemic my apartment building hired a company to do a useless "deep clean" once a week by spraying hydrogen peroxide vapour around the common areas. It's not dangerous but if you walked through during it the peroxide could give you a little tickle in your throat, a bit of a weird feeling on your tongue, a milder version of sensation of putting liquid hydrogen peroxide in your mouth.
  • Pollon makes loads of people miserable, but has no effect at all on loads more.

It's easy to imagine a person having a few common sensitivities and a tendency toward hypochondria deciding "chemicals" are the root of all evil and going from there. Then the scent of someone using Mr. Clean in the next unit over throws you into a tailspin because it is "chemicals" and must be hurting you. That causes a panic attack. She knows absolutely that it isn't all in her head because there are some physical symptoms.

In which case her housing provider couldn't really help her. They sealed off all the vents in her unit at her request, but it wasn't enough. It seems like nothing they can do will be enough. They can't build her an all-glass Magneto prison or a chip fabrication clean room, and if they could it probably still wouldn't be enough if the problem is partly psychological.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

In which case her housing provider couldn't really help her. They sealed off all the vents in her unit at her request, but it wasn't enough. It seems like nothing they can do will be enough. They can't build her an all-glass Magneto prison or a chip fabrication clean room, and if they could it probably still wouldn't be enough if the problem is partly psychological.

She and the doctors certainly didn't think the housing provider had done everything they could:

quote:

Letters she wrote said that indoor cigarette and pot smoking increased, sending fumes through her Scarborough apartment building’s ventilation system. More chemical cleaners were used in the hallways that worsened her symptoms. She confined herself to her bedroom -- or “dungeon,” as she called it -- for most of the pandemic, sealing the vents to keep cigarette and pot smoke from wafting into her unit.

Sophia’s apartment was run by the Salvation Army of Canada. According to letters provided to CTV News, Sophia wrote to officials in all levels of government, the apartment was renovated to allow her to live in her bedroom, with the vents sealed to keep smoke from coming in. However, she said the landlord refused other accommodations to supplement the room with heating and air-conditioning.

“My landlord does not believe anything is wrong with me, and refuses to do anything else to help me with regards (to) making this apartment safe for me to live. I have given up hope and have applied for — and now qualify for — MAID,” she wrote.
“It was an easy fix,” said Dr. Riina Bray, a Toronto physician who treats those with environmental sensitivities. “She just needed to be helped to find a suitable place to live, where there wasn't smoke wafting and through the vents.”

wanting a room where you get air conditioning/heating and also don't have to have other people's smoke in it, isn't exactly an "all-glass Magneto prison"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Trabisnikof posted:

She and the doctors certainly didn't think the housing provider had done everything they could:

wanting a room where you get air conditioning/heating and also don't have to have other people's smoke in it, isn't exactly an "all-glass Magneto prison"

A space heater should have been easy enough, but how do you get air conditioning without bringing in contaminated air?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

A space heater should have been easy enough, but how do you get air conditioning without bringing in contaminated air?

With an air conditioner?

They exchange heat, not air. Residential air conditioners do not intentionally introduce outdoor air. Air exchange is incidental and happens because the home is not hermetically sealed, albeit sometimes aided by the A/C creating negative pressure.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah I wonder what was up with her unit that they couldn't open a window and mount an air conditioner in it.

Then again it was Salvation Army sooooo

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

United States is p much the model the world is gonna take probably just letting you know now

Given the climate situation, I'd say the model the world is going to take in the future will probably be much, much worse then the current United States healthcare system.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah I wonder what was up with her unit that they couldn't open a window and mount an air conditioner in it.

it's entirely possible that she was living in an apartment with no windows

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FFT posted:

it's entirely possible that she was living in an apartment with no windows

that's illegal in ontario

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Tulip posted:

it is worth noting that this is not the output of any cultural norm peculiar to the west, unless you consider faith in complex bureaucracies to be a peculiarly western phenomena. the base constructive principles of a bureaucracy - compartmentalized roles, policies & their implementation, legalism, fungibility of bureaucrats, rigid hierarchy - make that outcome inevitable, even desirable. as stalin said, bureaucracy is the price we pay for impartiality, and any functional bureaucracy is going to be a bunch of people who have to set aside their human feelings about cases to instead prioritize if the paperwork was filed correctly, living with faith that the rules & the process are more important than their own judgment. to have a bureaucracy that does not function in that way is to have a totally nonfunctional bureaucracy

Bureaucracies also have key figures empowered with the ability to redirect the machine according to their own judgment, within certain constraints. This goes all the way up to, in anglophone countries, seated representatives (as opposed to list-based MPs) whose entire reason for existing is to do exactly this for their constituents. One could argue that these figures are particularly necessary in capitalist bureaucracies, since the goal of the government is to keep things from getting too bleak without actually pursuing the goal of decommodifying needs, which by definition requires a human touch.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rutibex posted:

that's illegal in ontario

What about windows you can't open? That's what I was thinking. That or they were barred

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What about windows you can't open? That's what I was thinking. That or they were barred

i *think* that's a fire code violation but i haven't lived out that way in years so i'm not positive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

bedrooms (hopefully) universally need two exits, one is often a window. the specifics will depend on the fire code

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

30.5 Days posted:

Bureaucracies also have key figures empowered with the ability to redirect the machine according to their own judgment, within certain constraints. This goes all the way up to, in anglophone countries, seated representatives (as opposed to list-based MPs) whose entire reason for existing is to do exactly this for their constituents. One could argue that these figures are particularly necessary in capitalist bureaucracies, since the goal of the government is to keep things from getting too bleak without actually pursuing the goal of decommodifying needs, which by definition requires a human touch.

What I find interesting about this is that, in ideal modeling, the human touch is fundamental to bureaucracy. It is a basic constitutive element: one framing of bureaucracy is that it is a machine to ensure that expert humans get into contact with problems within their domain. If you are not using the domain expertise of the bureaucrats, you're functionally not using the bureaucracy.

This runs into a practical snag very quickly. A more fundamental aspect of bureaucracy is transparency & accountability: if a decision is made, it is trivial to figure out who made the decision, which in turn means it is trivial to figure out who made a mistake. So far there have only been capitalist bureaucracies, so it may be a factor of capitalism, but the material interest of a bureaucrat is first and foremost to maintain their position, and the theory is that the desire to maintain this position would drive people to simply "do a good job" but in practice that is much harder and less effective than undermining the accountability of the system. The dominant method for doing this is to push for policies so comprehensive that nobody can possibly be held responsible for any decision making - that is to say, the experts are removing their own human touch in order to preserve their own human lives.

In any event, there absolutely are political appointees in charge of overseeing the bureaucracy while not being a part of it. I fight with some fairly frequently. They generally lose, because they have at most a few years experience and a handful of staff going up against thousands of people with decades of experience in shirking, evading, weaseling, sandbagging, and other valuable techniques to keep your job easy. Perhaps more devastatingly however, most of the executives come from that same bureaucracy and do not hold its dysfunctions to be abnormal or even undesirable.

e: what I'm trying to get at is that modern bureaucracies are already a form of runaway AI

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

quote:

We have already created multiple AIs in the form of corporations. These AIs maximize the goal of profit over all else, and they are wreaking havoc on our modern society. Intelligence is an emergent property of any complex enough system.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

thats right.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

yea 100%, i just like to reiterate that the form is more generic than corporations: the same zombifying, paper-clip-collecting feedback loops happen without the specifics of being a for-profit corporation, they just collect bouncy balls instead of paper clips

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i love my inconscious AI-overlord incorporating my flesh and my dreams to serve a purpose greater than myself, i only wish myy miind diiidnttt dieeeeeeeeee........

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lollontee posted:

i love my inconscious AI-overlord incorporating my flesh and my dreams to serve a purpose greater than myself, i only wish myy miind diiidnttt dieeeeeeeeee........

individual egos are just a cosmic illusion anyway who cares

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lazyhound posted:

Go gently caress yourself. There are plenty of people who can enter anaphylactic shock from stuff like perfume it's just that people who aren't affected by it don't give a poo poo, and so we keep adding it to everything.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
morgellons isn’t a real illness but people who think they have it are still suffering due to their delusions and need help and treatment yeah. :shrug: cause might be something other than what the person thinks but the effect making them need help is still there and all that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MCS is a “idk” diagnosis and probably covers a lot of different stuff. it’s definitely used for something “real” and autoimmune/allergies adjacent. a researcher is quoted in that article.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Look guys these fakers can't actually feel the cancer these chemicals are almost assuredly giving them (and you and me)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tulip posted:

yea 100%, i just like to reiterate that the form is more generic than corporations: the same zombifying, paper-clip-collecting feedback loops happen without the specifics of being a for-profit corporation, they just collect bouncy balls instead of paper clips

i wouldn't say it's generic. rather, the modern second-order cybernetic corporation is the product of the older, first-order cybernetic mode of organization.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

IAMKOREA posted:

Look guys these fakers can't actually feel the cancer these chemicals are almost assuredly giving them (and you and me)

inventing an ethical neo eugenics to eliminate people sensitive to microplastics to prevent their suffering

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Tulip posted:

So far there have only been capitalist bureaucracies

Could you explain this? Bureaucracy certainly existed before capitalism, under the USSR, today in China,etc.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Zodium posted:

i wouldn't say it's generic. rather, the modern second-order cybernetic corporation is the product of the older, first-order cybernetic mode of organization.

Could you clarify what you mean by first and second order?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I wonder if their reasoning was "If we give this woman a heater and A/C unit then we'll have to give everyone a heater and A/C unit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

Could you explain this? Bureaucracy certainly existed before capitalism, under the USSR, today in China,etc.

Both of those were capitalist though.