Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
After that Tory MP went "don't be mean and racist about Rwanda, lefties!" I decided to check on its current freedom and democracy status, and uh-oh, lookit all those 0/4s: https://freedomhouse.org/country/rwanda/freedom-world/2020

Also, I went up to London for the first time in about four years, and when the hell did the Tube become so expensive? £6.30 to go the five stops from Waterloo to Tottenham Court Road! First time the price came up on the machine I cancelled the transaction because I thought I'd done something wrong. Nope. (I walked back.)

Edit: I did not travel there on an Inter-City 125.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

crispix posted:

i shouldn't wonder if she'd be called laurie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (lorry) LOL

I appreciate this joke hugely

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Payndz posted:

After that Tory MP went "don't be mean and racist about Rwanda, lefties!" I decided to check on its current freedom and democracy status, and uh-oh, lookit all those 0/4s: https://freedomhouse.org/country/rwanda/freedom-world/2020

Also, I went up to London for the first time in about four years, and when the hell did the Tube become so expensive? £6.30 to go the five stops from Waterloo to Tottenham Court Road! First time the price came up on the machine I cancelled the transaction because I thought I'd done something wrong. Nope. (I walked back.)

£2.50 with an oyster or contactless.
£6.30 with cash.

If you had oyster or contactless, maximum total for zone 1 in a day is £7.70

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Payndz posted:

You straight up can't use cash on a London bus anymore. TfL hate the stuff.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Freedom in the world posted:

Regulations governing wage levels and conditions of work in the formal sector are poorly enforced. While Rwanda has increased prosecutions for transnational trafficking in recent years, Rwandan children are trafficked internally for domestic service under abusive conditions, or for commercial sex work, and little effort is made to hold internal traffickers to account. Many children work informally in the agricultural sector. Young Congolese and Burundian refugees are vulnerable to sexual exploitation and coerced recruitment into armed groups linked to Rwandan security forces.

Don't see what's so wrong about resettling refugees there *sad chuckle*.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

I hate to do this to you, but you fell for the rube tax:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Payndz posted:

Lol did you do the classic new to London thing and pay for individual tickets. Schoolboy error.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I didn't even know you could buy tickets between tube stops anymore. :v:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I used my card though? Or is there a way to use contactless actually at the barriers? Either way, looks like I've been legally mugged. (Still, I was there on business so I'll just claim it back.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Payndz posted:

I used my card though? Or is there a way to use contactless actually at the barriers? Either way, looks like I've been legally mugged. (Still, I was there on business so I'll just claim it back.)

Yeah, you'll need to use it at the barriers I think you just slap it on the oyster yellow thing (in AND out!). (I stand to be corrected as I still use a 2003 original first generation oyster card.)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Watch England reelect the tories

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
oystah

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:crab:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Payndz posted:

Contactless card works on the yellow circles on the barriers. So does apple/google pay, though you may have to authenticate on your phone first. On an iPhone at least you can set a card to be a 'transit card' and that means it works without authentication.

Never buy tickets ever ever ever unless it's expensed and you're committed to using it as a kind of slow economic warfare on the capitalist class/your boss.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
After all these years quote still isn't edit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That is a crab.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

That's not contactless though (even if you use contactless to buy the paper ticket). I'm not kidding about it being a rube tax, it's really not publicised that much other than some vague "use contactless for the best prices", so non-Londoners might not realise just how big the difference is. I assume tourists from America and other deprived nations that don't use EMC contactless pretty much paid for the entire Crossrail project.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah, you'll need to use it at the barriers I think you just slap it on the oyster yellow thing (in AND out!). (I stand to be corrected as I still use a 2003 original first generation oyster card.)

Yep, that's the one. Fun fact - there is a timeout of 90 minutes (plus 30 minutes for each zone you cross) for you to touch out, otherwise it just charges you the highest price available. So if, for example, you get on the Jubille Line at Green Park, and then a power cut traps you both underground *and* technically underwater in the tunnel between Westminster and Waterloo without ventilation on a warm summer day, then you have to walk half a mile through the tunnel back to Westminster and try to find your own way home, they'll charge you the cost of a zone 1-9 journey for the privilege. Not that I'm still bitter over a decade later.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
crehb

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lol punishing you for using cash, gently caress TfL.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's not contactless though (even if you use contactless to buy the paper ticket). I'm not kidding about it being a rube tax, it's really not publicised that much other than some vague "use contactless for the best prices", so non-Londoners might not realise just how big the difference is. I assume tourists from America and other deprived nations that don't use EMC contactless pretty much paid for the entire Crossrail project.

Yep, that's the one. Fun fact - there is a timeout of 90 minutes (plus 30 minutes for each zone you cross) for you to touch out, otherwise it just charges you the highest price available. So if, for example, you get on the Jubille Line at Green Park, and then a power cut traps you both underground *and* technically underwater in the tunnel between Westminster and Waterloo without ventilation on a warm summer day, then you have to walk half a mile through the tunnel back to Westminster and try to find your own way home, they'll charge you the cost of a zone 1-9 journey for the privilege. Not that I'm still bitter over a decade later.

Yeah I got off at one of the DLR stations some years ago then about 15 mins later realized I hadn't tapped out (they're not exactly obvious at those stations as there are no barriers to go through) so had to go back to the nearest DLR station to tap out.

I thought that if there was a breakdown or other incident, they would eventually fix it for you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They don't even tell you about the super secret London transport payment system.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

lol punishing you for using cash, gently caress TfL.

it's not cash they object to as such (you get the cheaper price by chucking cash onto an Oyster card), it's paper tickets.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

God help people who try to get on a bus without contactless

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

stev posted:

Honestly, god help half the people who try to get on a bus with contactless.

Admittedly, a bunch of them are people who can't afford the fare and are hoping the driver will just wearily wave them on anyway.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

stev posted:

God should hinder those monsters.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

kingturnip posted:

Honestly, god help half the people who try to get on a bus with contactless.

I have been shouted at by drivers several times for not waving my paper travelcard in an appropriately clear way.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Times readers:

source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/downing-street-parties-three-more-tories-join-calls-boris-johnson-resign-vx5vmfsct (01:28am)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

My current perception of this Rwanda offshoring thing is that it hopefully won't go through (i think i read something about a court challenge on the way), and that the Tories know that, but are primarily riling up their racist base and distracting from Boris for the time being. The cost of it was the thing confusing me the most, because I don't understand the Tories spending money that they don't have to, because the the basis for their existence is self-enrichment. So I was all - who is profiting off this, where's that info - and then the distraction/incitement logic came through and it made more sense.

So if I'm right about that, then Labour's response is even more craven and boneless. Why try to engage with something the Tories know is a load of bullshit, on grounds of economy? Observers keep saying that you can't attack something like this on moral grounds because the people who don't care will never care, but I don't think that's true. People are easily led to care or not care about anything given the right presentation. Could they at least try? Because the morality of it is the overriding issue, not the cost. It shouldn't be done if it was free, or if the Rwandans were paying the UK. The cost is immaterial.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 16, 2022

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

roomtone posted:

People are easily led to care or not care about anything given the right presentation. Could they at least try?

Have you not been paying attention to the current Labour Party?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

God should hinder those monsters.

The idea you need a debit card to take the bus is loving absurd.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah,if you're passionate, sincere and persistent , you absolutely can change people's received opinions about stuff. It's one of the things that Labour have completely abandoned though, as it requires courage and moral integrity.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

roomtone posted:

It shouldn't be done if it was free, or if the Rwandans were paying the UK. The cost is immaterial.
If it were free or Rwanda were paying the UK I think the nativist wing of Tory voters would be a lot more naturally suspicious of it, because it must mean that the wily foreigns are up to something.

Conversely the Patel Home Office spending billions on something means that it's a hard decision being taken seriously.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

The idea you need a debit card to take the bus is loving absurd.

Well luckily you don't. You can use an Oyster card, available at almost any corner shop or supermarket in London as well as from vending machines at (almost) every single TfL station and at major bus stations and interchanges. Admittedly there's a £5 charge (refunded as credit on the card after a year) for the card itself but under-18s, students, the disabled, people on certain benefits, and over-60s get free cards, with varying degrees of free or discounted travel too.

Cash fares (and the rainbow of different types of paper tickets that needed checking) slowed the busiest bus routes in London by up to 20% - anyone who ever got a bus from Oxford Street or Trafalgar Square in the before times will remember just how loving long it took to board (and of course you can still get a little reminder of it every time some fucker doesn't think to have their card out until they're actually at the door). Being able to use a debit or credit card instead of Oyster is just a little value-add that came along quite a while after they abandoned cash.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

You can avoid all these London transit tech problems by living anywhere else in the UK.

because they'll either have no public transport at all or it'll be 20-40 years old and incredibly expensive regardless.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

You can avoid all these London transit tech problems by living anywhere else in the UK.

because they'll either have no public transport at all or it'll be 20-40 years old and incredibly expensive regardless.

The reason public transport is so poo poo in not-London is you all insist on being able to pay for a bus ride with groats and cats teeth, and on having a half-hour long conversation with the driver as you get off.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

namesake posted:

I'm in the North West and that's true for short trips. If I want to take Arriva 5 miles down the road it's ~£5.

However, £5.60 gets me a day return which includes Liverpool, Manchester, Chester and down to Crewe & Nantwich and up to almost Preston. Move that up to £6.20 and it includes North Wales and I can get all the way to Llandudno and back if I'd like to spend 10-12 hours on a bus in a day. Of course a train would be much faster but also more expensive.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
A single journey in Glasgow City zone on First is £2.20 regardless of distance (you cannot buy a return). There is a day ticket that costs £4.60 but only worthwhile if you need to change buses or take 3 or more trips. Seems poo poo to me but then I never take buses anywhere else so maybe its good actually?

If you pay by cash then exact fair only.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mebh posted:

Essentially Matthew Luhn who worked as an animator on the Simpsons and later Toy Story does a speaking talk you can hire him out for on narrative and emotional design where its all about alternating happy/sad to stimulate oxytocin and serotonin to create emotional moments like the beginning of Up.

If you want to create emotional moments like the beginning of Up, you just have tragic stuff happen*. Seeing kids die is sad, I can attest.
Hire me to speak to your media companies, I will charge less than your Hollywood writers.

*= This reminds me of something I read years ago which was that comedic actors inherently better actors than non-comedic ones.
Since drama based actors success is measured in getting an emotional response from the audience, but often times that is done by using plot elements. If you want to get an audience to cry, you have a dog die or a character get cancer. There are loads of plot based shortcuts you can use for this.

Where as a comedic actors success is measured by their ability to make the audience laugh. And since humour is subjective, you can't take the same level of plot based shortcuts. Having someone fall down a hole isn't a guaranteed laugh scene the way that having someone die is an easier bet for a sad moment.
And that's why comedians should be awarded more often at the Oscars. And not just with slaps.
Thanks for huring me to speak to your game designing company.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Question IRL posted:

If you want to create emotional moments like the beginning of Up, you just have tragic stuff happen*. Seeing kids die is sad, I can attest.
Hire me to speak to your media companies, I will charge less than your Hollywood writers.

*= This reminds me of something I read years ago which was that comedic actors inherently better actors than non-comedic ones.
Since drama based actors success is measured in getting an emotional response from the audience, but often times that is done by using plot elements. If you want to get an audience to cry, you have a dog die or a character get cancer. There are loads of plot based shortcuts you can use for this.

Where as a comedic actors success is measured by their ability to make the audience laugh. And since humour is subjective, you can't take the same level of plot based shortcuts. Having someone fall down a hole isn't a guaranteed laugh scene the way that having someone die is an easier bet for a sad moment.
And that's why comedians should be awarded more often at the Oscars. And not just with slaps.
Thanks for huring me to speak to your game designing company.

I’ve always said that comedic actors can play straight because that’s part of comic acting, whereas straight actors can’t always do comedy because comedy involved a whole extra set of skills which straight actors often don’t have. Ergo comedy actors can often be better, more versatile and have a wider range than straight actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

All these corporate talks are all usually a gross simplification of how to do X (which normally are actually solved by more time and more money but you can't have those...),
They're then usually backed up by some new age pseudosciencey bullshit to give you that "one weird trick" for people to nod sagely about and bring up in meetings for the next 6 months.
That is until the practicalities of development cause you to bin the lot in favour of something that has been done before that you can point to on a chart that says "X project did this and got Y"
In the end it's not really even about building something successful, it's about convincing the people with the money that you're not taking any unnecessary risk with their money.
Bonus points if when it all goes tits up you can point to an entirely different chart that says something unrelated caused it all to poo poo the bed and "nobody could have forseen this."

Basically it's all very depressing and essentially I imagine echoes almost any project creation job under capitalism. It's 99% about blame shifting and hoping to get lucky while keeping the company alive on the ungodly revenue from a single successful project from years ago which is slowly dwindling. Most of the fancy ways to improve yourself or your project are all bullshit created by grifters and you'd be a fool to follow them, just collect your paycheck, spend what's left after your bills on gin or toys and be quiet.