Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Do the D series Xeons support Quick Sync? Doesn't seem like it, would be a deal killer for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Effectively solved the problem of agonizing over the devision of what idle spin-down timer to configure on my main Synology by enabling the IP camera security DVR functionality so I guess the drives will never be "idle" again :negative:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

I know the CPU pricing on ARK put the lowest tier Xeon D 1700 CPU around only $130 for a unit and the next step up was about $300. I wouldn’t be surprised if these boards hit around $600 for entry level similar to the Xeon D 1500 series back in 2016.
Yeah, they ain't gonna be cheap.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Do the D series Xeons support Quick Sync? Doesn't seem like it, would be a deal killer for me.
They don't have an iGPU.

I know this isn't the case for everyone, but my HTPC isn't so underpowered as to require transcoding to happen on the server, and my eyes are too poo poo for me to watch stuff on my phone's screen.

At any rate, I'd much rather listen to podcasts, audiobooks, or music when I'm on-the-go and use my eyes to look around or have them closed.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 15, 2022

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Last time I deep dove on 4k and the newer container format pretty much the only device with all of the various licenses needed for direct play is the Nvidia Shield. Audio codecs, video codecs, and even having to apply subtitles ( I forget the type, but some need to be encoded into the video stream itself).

Maybe this has changed and I'll admit I'm not particularly savvy around the different formats, containers, etc, but 4k was the main transcoding offender for me.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yeah, they ain't gonna be cheap.

They don't have an iGPU.

I know this isn't the case for everyone, but my HTPC isn't so underpowered as to require transcoding to happen on the server, and my eyes are too poo poo for me to watch stuff on my phone's screen.

At any rate, I'd much rather listen to podcasts, audiobooks, or music when I'm on-the-go and use my eyes to look around or have them closed.

Yeah I hear you, I share the library with my remote family though and transcoding gets a lot of use :)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
On-server transcoding was big for me when I had a narrow range of acceptable formats on a PS3 and I don't think I could ever go back. My Plex isn't even accessible outside the LAN.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
90% of why I want a better CPU for Plex server purposes is because the Apple TV can be a pain for codec compatibility and also because I’d like to start converting more media of mine to AV1 (skipping HEVC even) which is not what Apple wants to support either.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
my Apple TV 4K direct-plays everything I've tried

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

withoutclass posted:

Last time I deep dove on 4k and the newer container format pretty much the only device with all of the various licenses needed for direct play is the Nvidia Shield. Audio codecs, video codecs, and even having to apply subtitles ( I forget the type, but some need to be encoded into the video stream itself).

Maybe this has changed and I'll admit I'm not particularly savvy around the different formats, containers, etc, but 4k was the main transcoding offender for me.
I'm looking at using an Intel NUC7CJYH as a new HTPC since I found a fanless chassis, both for an incredibly cheap price, and it does 4k+HEVC/H265 just fine, including with Netflix according to one review. It was also supposed to have HDR (some early marketing promised it, but it got pulled at some point), but since my TV doesn't do 4k or HDR, and I can't see the difference anyway, that doesn't really matter for my use-case.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah I hear you, I share the library with my remote family though and transcoding gets a lot of use :)
If your case can fit the FlexATX motherboards and a full-height daughterboard, you can put a GPU into the PCI-Ex 3.0 x8, since NVENC works for Plex too and the encodes can easiy be done on the limited bandwidth of the slower link (I believe all the slots are open-ended)
It's a pity they don't support the AMD Video Coding Engine, as it's probably easier to get an AMD GPU that only takes up a single slot - it's been forever and a day since I've seen one from AMD.

Alternatively, Intel Iris Xe is supposed to be coming out in the near-future, and if it's anything like their iGPU line, it'll be supported in via DRM in Linux and FreeBSD (in fact, Intel Xe already works in FreeBSD), and might even be available as a single-slot full-height daughterboard?
EDIT: Maybe a Inno3D GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (1-Slot Edition) could work? It supports up to 14 transcode streams according to this - although availability may be hard since it was made in 2017.

Shumagorath posted:

On-server transcoding was big for me when I had a narrow range of acceptable formats on a PS3 and I don't think I could ever go back. My Plex isn't even accessible outside the LAN.
Yeah - very-low-power HTPCs like an old RPI, consoles, and mobile phones are where the on-server transcoding makes sense.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 15, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
is there a plex/kodi box thread somewhere? i'd love to set up my old PC at my mum's house as a super simple media server, since that's where we tend to consume content, but i'd also like to be able to connect to it remotely.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

is there a plex/kodi box thread somewhere? i'd love to set up my old PC at my mum's house as a super simple media server, since that's where we tend to consume content, but i'd also like to be able to connect to it remotely.
There's both a Plex thread and a HTPC thread over in IYG.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

lol i always forget that subforum exists ta! :tipshat:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

i3 superiority here for ecc and quick sync.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Crime on a Dime posted:

my Apple TV 4K direct-plays everything I've tried

Same. I can even direct stream Dolby Vision and HDR10 files from my low power QNAP. No transcode required. Over WiFi even.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I dunno what's happened given I've had no less than 10 files in the past few months that went into transcoding mode on my Apple TV 4K and I'm not about to agonize over what's going on either because it's not worth it for me. Maybe it's because I've disabled HDR or DV on my Apple TV or my tendency to use subtitles on everything I watch. Or maybe it's because I need to upgrade my HDMI cables to higher bandwidth ones, but I'd rather upgrade my hardware at this point than waste hours fiddling with files and settings to try to not need to transcode.

CopperHound posted:

i3 superiority here for ecc and quick sync.
If you're fine with an i3 from like 3 generations ago now given that the last i3 I saw that supported ECC was the 9th generation Core series. My i3-4130 is a champ but just not going to cut it for the next decade.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

If you're fine with an i3 from like 3 generations ago now given that the last i3 I saw that supported ECC was the 9th generation Core series. My i3-4130 is a champ but just not going to cut it for the next decade.
If it comes to that, there's two Alder Lake i3 CPUs that support it - but more interesting is that the W680 series of chipsets can use ECC too, and that it lets the i7-12700k (as well as some other models in the i5 through i9 series) as well as the non-k SKUs use ECC too - and since the high-end i7 I linked has vPro enablement, on a W680 motherboard (yes, there really does seem to only be two of them in the entire world right now) you shouldn't even need an OOB BMC with IPMI to get HTML5 vKVM as that can be done through meshcommander which is available as via node/npm.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 15, 2022

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Asus PN41 is $169, fanless and uses an Intel N4500. There is another variant with a 4 core chip, but I read that it gets too hot.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Comatoast posted:

The Asus PN41 is $169, fanless and uses an Intel N4500. There is another variant with a 4 core chip, but I read that it gets too hot.
Huh, there's clearly something I'll need to look into and maybe some orders to cancel.

Is it the N5100 that gets too hot? If not, I have bit of maths to work out as that one is barebones but cheaper, while the N4500 comes with stuff but is more expensive.

As for number of cores; kodi uses ~3% on FreeBSD when idle and ~20% when doing VAAPI playback - and that's on a i5-3427U which is from 2012.
More to the point, here's top:
pre:
last pid: 25674;  load averages:  0.53,  0.64,  0.63  up 11+12:58:10    23:07:13
39 processes:  1 running, 38 sleeping
CPU 0:  2.6% user,  0.0% nice,  0.8% system,  0.1% interrupt, 96.5% idle
CPU 1:  3.1% user,  0.0% nice,  1.1% system,  0.0% interrupt, 95.7% idle
CPU 2:  2.4% user,  0.0% nice,  0.8% system,  0.5% interrupt, 96.4% idle
CPU 3:  2.2% user,  0.0% nice,  0.8% system,  0.0% interrupt, 96.9% idle
Mem: 114M Active, 418M Inact, 4525M Wired, 2307M Free
ARC: 2469M Total, 1275M MFU, 543M MRU, 32K Anon, 36M Header, 615M Other
     1353M Compressed, 3399M Uncompressed, 2.51:1 Ratio
Swap: 4096M Total, 4096M Free

PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    C   TIME    WCPU COMMAND
 1110 debdrup      54  22    0   621M   461M uwait    1  32.8H  17.04% kodi.bin
Load average doesn't exceed 1.0 (meaning even if there was only one core, it wouldn't be 100% busy), and the per-CPU idletime suggests it's basically not doing anything.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 15, 2022

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CoolCab posted:

There is also an old Kodi thread but it doesn't see much action anymore. Most people just run Kodi on an Nvidia shield and probably half of us just use Kodi as a front end to Plex or Emby.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

...subtitles on everything I watch.

It's almost definitely this, image based subtitles will force a transcode. There was a good effortpost in the Plex thread a few weeks back that broke it all down. I know srt are fine, but I think it's like vobsub and pgs maybe that transcode.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

If you watch this Amazon link to PN41 w/ N4500 you'll see that occasionally Amazon has it for msrp of $169 and occasionally Amazon Warehouse has returned/used units in the $130 range. You can track amazon listings and get email alerts with Keepa or CamelCamelCamel.

I haven't found an excuse to get a PN41 as I'm currently stocking up on refurbished, $130 HP-s01-pf1013w off ebay. Those have G5900 Intel chips but also are not at all quiet without replacing the cpu & power supply fans.

Some time ago I came across a reddit post which stated that the PN41, N5100 4-core variant produces more heat and thus throttles more readily than the 2-core.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 15, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Comatoast posted:

If you watch this Amazon link to PN41 w/ N4500 you'll see that occasionally Amazon has it for msrp of $169 and occasionally Amazon Warehouse has returned/used units in the $130 range. I haven't found an excuse to get one, but I get emails every time one reaches the <$130 price. I use Keepa rather than CamelCamelCamel because it has a nice browser plugin.

Some time ago I came across a reddit post which stated that the N5100, 4-core variant produces more heat and thus throttles more readily.
Ah, yeah Amazon has a hard time beating Danish retailers unless they're doing some kind of a sale - and even then, shipping to Denmark (which doesn't get Amazon fulfillment unless by pure chance) usually makes the product more expensive.

Do you remember what kind of a system load was resulting in the N5100 overheating - was it idle, 25% CPU load, going full-tilt at 100%?
I refuse to visit reddit, because I absolutely loathe the site design and the threaded comments make everything into an echo chamber - so if you don't remember that's alright, I guess I'll just have to wing it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I spent an hour today worrying about why some drives wouldn't spin up when I moved them from my old server to new. Forgot about the 3.3V thing on shucked drives. :doh:

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is heresay, but what I recall reading is that it reached 80C and then throttles down to roughly 1GHz.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Comatoast posted:

This is heresay, but what I recall reading is that it reached 80C and then throttles down to roughly 1GHz.
At 100% load? Yeah, I'll believe that.

I don't imagine that a CPU whose single-threaded performance is within 1% of the one I currently have will get higher CPU load, though - so I'm looking at about 20% load, which I can't imagine would cause it to reach 80C and throttle.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

It's almost definitely this, image based subtitles will force a transcode. There was a good effortpost in the Plex thread a few weeks back that broke it all down. I know srt are fine, but I think it's like vobsub and pgs maybe that transcode.

ah, forgot about this. what is the advantage of non .srt subs?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Crime on a Dime posted:

It can be helpful for doing stuff like putting translations of signs on the sign instead of mixing it up with the dialogue.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Crime on a Dime posted:

you ripped a bunch of DVDs 15 years ago and threw the vobs directly into a mkv file, because OCRing & correcting them takes time and who could imagine that one day you'd be watching movies on your phone

CopperHound posted:

It can be helpful for doing stuff like putting translations of signs on the sign instead of mixing it up with the dialogue.

modern text subs can do all that poo poo, assuming the player supports rear end

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
NAS/Storage Megathread: Does your player support rear end?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

withoutclass posted:

NAS/Storage Megathread: Does your player support rear end?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
okay having done a little research I'm interested in using FreeNAS as a standalone headless server with the Plex plugin installed. this will be free, and I think work with my available parts.

can you plug a USB HDD into a headless FreeNAS server and have it access the files?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

okay having done a little research I'm interested in using FreeNAS as a standalone headless server with the Plex plugin installed. this will be free, and I think work with my available parts.

can you plug a USB HDD into a headless FreeNAS server and have it access the files?
For whate it's worth, FreeNAS is now called TrueNAS - and there's also something called XigmaNAS which is a fork of FreeNAS from before iXsystems started massively changing just about everything, so it doesn't do as much but on the other hand it's very good at just being a NAS appliance.

Sure you can plug a USB HDD in, but the question is whether you want to; USB has the feature of being able to unplug very easily, but if you put ZFS on top of USB and the disk then goes away, ZFS will need a bit of maintenance before it can cleanly work again, because you're not supposed to pull entire pools worth of disks at a single time; all of this is a long way of saying that you'll probably become very familiar with zpool-reopen(8), zpool-online(8), and zpool-clear(8).

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Thwomp posted:

Same. I can even direct stream Dolby Vision and HDR10 files from my low power QNAP. No transcode required. Over WiFi even.
Sorry if this is a silly question, but what are you using on the NAS itself and on the Apple TV to do this? I'm not a fan of Plex so I'd pick up an Apple TV if I could just point its media player at an SMB share on my QNAP.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Turns out sleeping on it was the right decision, because I found the N4500 for a mere 1248DKK (about 180USD) and some very cheap memory.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Less Fat Luke posted:

If stupid Plex would just let you set default quality profiles for remote users, that would solve 99% of my pains.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Moey posted:

If stupid Plex would just let you set default quality profiles for remote users, that would solve 99% of my pains.
I use Jellyfin which allows you to have per-user bandwidth settings, it's worked well so far.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Less Fat Luke posted:

I use Jellyfin which allows you to have per-user bandwidth settings, it's worked well so far.

I just want to force original quality for the default (unless an transcode is absolutely required).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what are you using on the NAS itself and on the Apple TV to do this? I'm not a fan of Plex so I'd pick up an Apple TV if I could just point its media player at an SMB share on my QNAP.

So for the NAS, I’ve got the native QNAP Plex server application installed on my TS-251. No special firmware. Just gave it 8 GB of ram from whatever it came with. It’s connected to my router via Ethernet.

The router is pretty new and supports all that MIMO and beam forming stuff.

I’ve got the latest AppleTV 4K model connected via WiFi on a 5GHz channel. I’m using the native Plex app on the AppleTV.

If it still matters, I’ve got Plex Pass on my Plex account.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm looking to give my FreeNAS-11.2-U8 install some love. I have 5 6TB drives in a RAID-Z2. Just making sure that if I want to upgrade I need to buy 5 <newsize> drives and would have to power down and replace the drives one by one 5 times to get the new size?

The case I have is not a hot-swap thing but I'm open to switching that all at once if it would be easier.

edit: Supermicro Xeon D-1541 mobo with a Fractal 804 case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hed posted:

I'm looking to give my FreeNAS-11.2-U8 install some love. I have 5 6TB drives in a RAID-Z2. Just making sure that if I want to upgrade I need to buy 5 <newsize> drives and would have to power down and replace the drives one by one 5 times to get the new size?

The case I have is not a hot-swap thing but I'm open to switching that all at once if it would be easier.

edit: Supermicro Xeon D-1541 mobo with a Fractal 804 case.
The Supermicro motherboard does almost certainly feature hotswap for SATA disks, but hotswap isn't recommended unless you have a backplane with a capacitor bank for every few disks, as this is what helps prevent the PSU or motherboard from being damaged by the change in electrical potential when you unplug and plug a disk while it's active.

There's plenty of stories of people getting away with it, but that doesn't mean it's completely safe to so so - so it's recommended that you shut down the system, yes.

You also need to enable the zpool property autoexpand before you start replacing disks, or run zpool online -e on each device.

While you're doing (long-overdue) maintenance, you should probably also update it and whatever software is running on it.

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean by "switching that all at once" - do you mean replacing the chassis? Unless you can find one with room for at least 10 disks and a backplane, I'm not sure it's worth it?