Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Countblanc posted:

ffxiv socials are going to be an absolute bloodfest when it turns out Island Sanctuary isn't instanced housing, nor similar to Animal Crossing in any meaningful way.

Yeah. It's going to be amazing, because everyone thinks it's going to be something else, and they're all wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

ImpAtom posted:

Right, but a home with an exterior wouldn't be instanced unless you were just getting rid of neighborhoods which would absolutely upset a bunch of people.

There's no reason you couldn't have both the wards for people who want neighborhoods and instanced housing for people who don't care about that.

As far as neighborhoods go my full ward is dead quiet anyway. I almost never see anyone else around aside from occasionally one person at the market board. I personally feel the neighborhood aspect is completely oversold.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Right, but a home with an exterior wouldn't be instanced unless you were just getting rid of neighborhoods which would absolutely upset a bunch of people.

Are you arguing that people with "real" houses would be angry by the mere existence of non-neighborhood houses

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My actual prediction for Island Sanctuary is a multi-phased instance that's built up over the course of multiple patches with a small story attached.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zokari posted:

Are you arguing that people with "real" houses would be angry by the mere existence of non-neighborhood houses

I've literally seen people say that exact thing, yeah. There are players who actually argue that the limited housing available is a good thing because housing wouldn't be as special if everyone could have one

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I've literally seen people say that exact thing, yeah. There are players who actually argue that the limited housing available is a good thing because housing wouldn't be as special if everyone could have one

Well they can go gently caress themselves

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hogama posted:

My actual prediction for Island Sanctuary is a multi-phased instance that's built up over the course of multiple patches with a small story attached.

:hmmyes:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You could absolutely have an instance with an exterior, it'd just have to look different from the existing things. You could just have a little adjoining area in neighborhoods that brings you to a personal instance.

I'm hoping this kind of what island sanctuary ends up being, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mind over Matter posted:

There's no reason you couldn't have both the wards for people who want neighborhoods and instanced housing for people who don't care about that.

As far as neighborhoods go my full ward is dead quiet anyway. I almost never see anyone else around aside from occasionally one person at the market board. I personally feel the neighborhood aspect is completely oversold.

I mean the answer there is "if they can add the space for infinite instanced housing, they could also just make more wards."

And it depends on where you are. People I know who RP make use of it a whole lot.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Ended up trying out the new Trial that replaces the fight with Ultima in the Praetorium. Surprisingly hard but that's expected since it isn't bound to a really long dungeon anymore. I think I wasn't the only one that was caught off-guard by Ultima's difficulty but I'm not sure.

Still retains "SUCH DEVASTATION..." to me and another player's enjoyment.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

All I know is every time I get a furniture reward from the MSQ I think 'what do you want me to do with this?'

I think housing should be free and available to all.

In this game, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pyro Jack posted:

Ended up trying out the new Trial that replaces the fight with Ultima in the Praetorium. Surprisingly hard but that's expected since it isn't bound to a really long dungeon anymore. I think I wasn't the only one that was caught off-guard by Ultima's difficulty but I'm not sure.

Still retains "SUCH DEVASTATION..." to me and another player's enjoyment.

The first time I did it we had a sprout healer who was basically in tears by the end and we had to tell them it was okay that they kept dying.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Countblanc posted:

ffxiv socials are going to be an absolute bloodfest when it turns out Island Sanctuary isn't instanced housing, nor similar to Animal Crossing in any meaningful way.

always thought it was bizarre how many people have convinced themselves that island sanctuary is going to be an alternative to housing. especially now that the devs have doubled down on personal housing with specified wards and the implication that they're going to be more hands-on with adding more wards to individual servers per demand.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Countblanc posted:

So do we know what it is going to be? I imagined at the very least it was going to be an instanced... estate? i guess.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I've only done Castrum of the new MSQDR changes, and the last fight would have wrecked me as a sprout. It didn't feel unfair or anything, but I think that content is going to be a real challenge for new players doing it at-level.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly the new msq roulette stuff shows that it's possible for them to bring old content up to modern standards without creating any new assets and I sort of jope they do it for the rest of ARR and also for HW (which is a lot better than ARR but 3.0 proper is still missing a lot of what we take for granted about ffxiv fight design)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zeruel posted:

So do we know what it is going to be? I imagined at the very least it was going to be an instanced... estate? i guess.

They've said basically nothing about it, but the latest note said temper your expectations.

Hogama posted:

Because it's going to be that with minions running around.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The new mechanics they backported into ARR's finale like tankbuster markers or enrage meters are kinda funny because new players aren't going to be seeing those again until like post-Stormblood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly the new msq roulette stuff shows that it's possible for them to bring old content up to modern standards without creating any new assets and I sort of jope they do it for the rest of ARR and also for HW (which is a lot better than ARR but 3.0 proper is still missing a lot of what we take for granted about ffxiv fight design)

To be honest they largely have done that by this point for ARR. Almost all the reworked fights feel way more in line with what you'd see now. The only thing I can think they could do to improve it is going heavier on the "You get all your skills relatively early in weaker form" package.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Like it's really good that stack markers now appear at level 50! But I think that right now the next time they appear in mandatory content after the updated level 50 stuff is...final steps of faith I think? A really long gap

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Chillgamesh posted:

A summoner in my frontline game just did four loving million damage lol

Bard looks to be a powerful support class in Frontlines because it's Limit Break buffs party members' damage by 5% for 30 seconds and fills up their Limit Break gauge by a certain amount.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest they largely have done that by this point for ARR. Almost all the reworked fights feel way more in line with what you'd see now. The only thing I can think they could do to improve it is going heavier on the "You get all your skills relatively early in weaker form" package.

Well, they didn't touch all the dungeons. It's probably fine that indicators other than ground aoes don't appear until 50 though, since it's supposed to be a slow introduction

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hopefully when they're adding trusts for HW they'll consider adjusting the markers where appropriate.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Zeruel posted:

No. It's "slow living" content and the only thing they've confirmed is that your minions can run around. You can also probably reaosnably infer growing stuff in some capacity from the key art they showed but there's no guarantee that will work like current gardening either. Lastly, they have explicitly come out and said, to paraphrase "you're all getting your hopes up way too much for this feature. it's not going to be animal crossing or harvest moon. Those are full-fledged games with entire development teams that take years to make and this is patch side content so temper your expectations."

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Zeruel posted:

It's a place where your minions all roam free and now they have Tamagotchi mini-games, and if they're well treated they evolve into rare sparkly versions and if you forget to feed them they die forever and you have to go get another one. One of them only eats mount whistles.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ImpAtom posted:

going heavier on the "You get all your skills relatively early in weaker form" package.

Please please please

Playing DRG synched and realizing how late they get a functional AoE kit even by melee standards is painful. I think they might not even have a second hit until after 60?

While I'm asking the Saint of Nymeia for gifts: paladin gap-closer before 72, I beg of you

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

No. It's "slow living" content and the only thing they've confirmed is that your minions can run around. You can also probably reaosnably infer growing stuff in some capacity from the key art they showed but there's no guarantee that will work like current gardening either. Lastly, they have explicitly come out and said, to paraphrase "you're all getting your hopes up way too much for this feature. it's not going to be animal crossing or harvest moon. Those are full-fledged games with entire development teams that take years to make and this is patch side content so temper your expectations."
Yeah, but this is basically where my hope for use of existing gardening and housing mechanics comes from --- it's something that may be transplantable with limited effort, unless made impossible by the games' occasionally weird architecture.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Failboattootoot posted:

I hope it has a similar feel to the farm in Mists of Pandaria, but if we're gonna have a little house on the island even if it's just a one room thing then I think it'd be insane to not let us customize it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Countblanc posted:

I saw someone going on an extended tirade in the novice network yesterday, saying that FFXIV keeps prioritizing 'things that don't matter' over what's actually important.

Naturally he was defining 'important' as 'thing I like', and the main thing he decided was proof of poor prioritization was the existence of famous long-term resource drain Lord of Verminion. But one thing he said was that they should have had Island Sanctuary there right at 6.0, and the fact they didn't is a sign if poor planning.

That's the part that got everyone on the same page against him, because it's impossible to say that without knowing what Island Sanctuary even is.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Antivehicular posted:

Please please please

Playing DRG synched and realizing how late they get a functional AoE kit even by melee standards is painful. I think they might not even have a second hit until after 60?

While I'm asking the Saint of Nymeia for gifts: paladin gap-closer before 72, I beg of you

S-E is weirdly firm on "any ability animation that was introduced in a post-ARR expansion has to stay in that expansion," endwalker is the first time they broke that rule in even one place

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a non-zero chance they'll touch up some of the dungeons they do as they go - at minimum, tweaking lighting and such, but since they need to work within the constraints of duty support AI, they may also re-evaluate bosses on the way. But likely only the main story required dungeons up to 7.0, since that's already a lot of their bandwidth.

Being so willing to redesign encounters, though, does give me a little more hope that someday they might retouch Binding Coils.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has anyone seen someone dropout of Meridianum because they were fishing for Prae? Wondering if the changes are helping with that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Countblanc posted:

Look, if the Island Sanctuary doesn't let me bring NPCs there and date them, then we might as well shut the servers down.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dating will require you to master culinarian because a home-cooked meal is the only thing that will entice your paramour(s).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has anyone seen someone dropout of Meridianum because they were fishing for Prae? Wondering if the changes are helping with that.
I'm wondering how the XP situation even is. I've got everything maxed so I have no sense what Port Decumana is worth for XP, but it seemed great for tomes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Macaluso posted:

WTF

Runa posted:

Well they can go gently caress themselves

Yeah. This.

Hell, I have my dream large house placement that I will never move from and I love my neighborhood, but if people want an instanced house, let them have one.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Holy gently caress I just deleted these people with the Sam pvp lb
https://twitter.com/doctagon_/status/1515146446957281284

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Zeruel posted:

They've said basically nothing other than: it's a relaxing space, it'll have some crafter/gatherer focus (I think they said this at least), and you can let your pets (and mounts?) roam free?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Countblanc posted:

ffxiv socials are going to be an absolute bloodfest draw and junction when it turns out Island Sanctuary isn't instanced housing, nor similar to Animal Crossing in any meaningful way.

ftfy

But yeah it sort of feels like this is a place where they might want to have revealed it alongside some details. It's way too easy to read into the idea and name of the island sanctuary and imagine it as "exactly the thing I personally think is missing", as opposed to say criterion dungeons which absolutely no one has expectations about because the very name is meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

some new UI elements with farm-related names show up in the game's exe way back in patch 5.4 before island sanctuary was even announced and still are unused so it likely has some interactive features related to that (one of them is "SeedPouch")