Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know others don’t do this, but personally I remove stuff from radarr after I’ve got it in the quality I want. With TV it’s too fluid with regards to new episodes so I keep Sonarr complete, but for movies? If I’m not wanting it to be actively looked for, I’ll do a batch run one afternoon and remove the listing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Laserface posted:

the issue i have is that i will usually get a sub 10GB file in the quality i want and it just randomly decides one day to upgrade it. why there isnt just a 'stop searching for files once downloaded successfully' i cannot understand.

Because the defaults are written by data hoarders. You just need to go in and set your quality settings to "not archivist collection nerd."

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Laserface posted:

the issue i have is that i will usually get a sub 10GB file in the quality i want and it just randomly decides one day to upgrade it. why there isnt just a 'stop searching for files once downloaded successfully' i cannot understand.

sonarr does not do this at all.

I'll try what you suggested though.

That's a quality profile setting. Each quality profile has a check box for whether to allow upgrades at all, and then a dropdown for the quality to stop upgrading past.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

acksplode posted:

That's a quality profile setting. Each quality profile has a check box for whether to allow upgrades at all, and then a dropdown for the quality to stop upgrading past.

god drat it why isnt it just a blanket check box option?

thanks.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah I just use a single quality profile for all of my radarr profiles and don't complicate it up with more than one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah I just use a single quality profile for all of my radarr profiles and don't complicate it up with more than one.

I have 2, for most films I don’t have major interest in I’ll just take an Amazon sources web file that probably takes up 6-7gb at most. Anything I care more about I’ll tell it to get a Blu-ray up to 20gb or so.

For the things that deserve it I’ll just grab the UHD Remux by hand.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have 2, for most films I don’t have major interest in I’ll just take an Amazon sources web file that probably takes up 6-7gb at most. Anything I care more about I’ll tell it to get a Blu-ray up to 20gb or so.

yeah im fine with most 1080P rips of most things. I like getting the big visual spectacle poo poo in 4k/UHD HDR/20-40GB but i will do that by hand.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Laserface posted:

yeah im fine with most 1080P rips of most things. I like getting the big visual spectacle poo poo in 4k/UHD HDR/20-40GB but i will do that by hand.

:same:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It’s a huge pain but custom release profiles are great:

https://trash-guides.info/Sonarr/Sonarr-Release-Profile-RegEx/

https://trash-guides.info/Sonarr/Sonarr-Quality-Settings-File-Size/

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Is there just a file that you can hand edit? I hate those sliders so loving much.
I find the defaults in sonarr to be reasonable for my needs, but radar is bonkers. Who wants an 80g 1080 video? Leave that for 4k!
I have a 65in TV and feel a 5g 720p is good enough for 90% of my viewings tho. What's the audiophile version of video? Visophile?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CFox posted:

With Plex the only thing I pay for it Youtube Premium since that'd be near impossible to get via Plex.
uBlock Origin or yt-dlp. Some guides here:
https://old.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/tib5ks/youtuberr_want_sonarr_like_client_for_youtube/

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Exactly what I do too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Seconding this. I hardly ever use the actual YouTube client to watch stuff and just add stuff to watch later and have my server pull it down. I use a dedicated YouTube agent instead of local metadata, but I’m likely going to give that a shot as it can be hinky at times and I’m tired of dealing with it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

sonarr does not do this at all.

I'll try what you suggested though.

If this keeps happening for a movie, or tv series, (or mysteriously keeps getting replaced with a hindi dub, or...) just click the monitored icon off and it will leave the files you have alone for good

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is amazing and I'm going to have to set it up.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

deong posted:

Is there just a file that you can hand edit? I hate those sliders so loving much.
I find the defaults in sonarr to be reasonable for my needs, but radar is bonkers. Who wants an 80g 1080 video? Leave that for 4k!
I have a 65in TV and feel a 5g 720p is good enough for 90% of my viewings tho. What's the audiophile version of video? Visophile?

Nobody really wants them, but archivists will rip and release uncompressed BluRays and Sonarr will accidentally download them if you're not careful. With HEVC being so efficient, I only download 1080p or better nowadays.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A lot of stuff doesn’t get done in HEVC (or at least not to the specifications I want) so I’m somewhat of a lunatic to download and watch the remux and then encode to HEVC to archive for a bunch of titles.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

A lot of stuff doesn’t get done in HEVC (or at least not to the specifications I want) so I’m somewhat of a lunatic to download and watch the remux and then encode to HEVC to archive for a bunch of titles.

That's what I do. Tdarr is great for this!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Warbird posted:

Seconding this. I hardly ever use the actual YouTube client to watch stuff and just add stuff to watch later and have my server pull it down. I use a dedicated YouTube agent instead of local metadata, but I’m likely going to give that a shot as it can be hinky at times and I’m tired of dealing with it.

What youtube agent are you using? Is it good at organizing things into seasons? Its a pain to manually update all of my youtube videos.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
All of this is great conversation and is why I said to get used to Sonarr before moving to Radarr :-)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

What youtube agent are you using? Is it good at organizing things into seasons? Its a pain to manually update all of my youtube videos.

ZeroQL’s YouTube-Agent specifically paired with their rear end scanner which is also in their GitHub. It works most of the time but has weird hangouts from time to time where it won’t see or display videos for god knows what reason. It works well enough but you’ll likely have to submit an issue or pull down an update a few times a year. It bases everything off the unique YouTube IDs for channels/videos so it generally works fine one you tweak YouTube DLP to include that in the for structure/names. Oh, you’ll want your own API key as well, but that’s pretty simple to do.

I think part of the problem is that the agent will re-pull data on the reg so if a creator tweaks their video or reuploads it or something things can break in fun ways. It also hates kurzgesagt for reasons unknown.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Chubby Henparty posted:

If this keeps happening for a movie, or tv series, (or mysteriously keeps getting replaced with a hindi dub, or...) just click the monitored icon off and it will leave the files you have alone for good

This is what I do, grab a movie and then manually turn off monitoring.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Warbird posted:

ZeroQL’s YouTube-Agent specifically paired with their rear end scanner which is also in their GitHub. It works most of the time but has weird hangouts from time to time where it won’t see or display videos for god knows what reason. It works well enough but you’ll likely have to submit an issue or pull down an update a few times a year. It bases everything off the unique YouTube IDs for channels/videos so it generally works fine one you tweak YouTube DLP to include that in the for structure/names. Oh, you’ll want your own API key as well, but that’s pretty simple to do.

I think part of the problem is that the agent will re-pull data on the reg so if a creator tweaks their video or reuploads it or something things can break in fun ways. It also hates kurzgesagt for reasons unknown.

Sorry, how does it handle seasons? by year?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Sorry, how does it handle seasons? by year?

I really should learn to read one day, sorry. By year, yes. I just have it “skip” the seasons via some setting somewhere and dump into a central pool for a given “show”.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

WhyteRyce posted:

At some point Plex on my shield started loving up rewind. If I press rewind it ends up jumping a random amount of time, mostly forward but sometimes backwards if I wrangle it enough. wtf?
I have this too. Also I think the player has hosed up the audio settings because I watch through TV speakers and a couple of things I have watched recently have had the Nolan effect where background noise and music is so loud you can't tell what characters are saying.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

acksplode posted:

none of my quality profiles have 'upgrades allowed' checked

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I wanna recycle some old PC components I gave spare into a super simple NAS streaming box I can set up at my ma's house and let her use her fire stick to navigate media.

I have a i5-4460 which should be enough for simple 1080p streaming. does Plex make sense for this use case? I could set the box up here but it seems more logical for the content to be on the local network?

this might be too broad for this thread and I might need to ask elsewhere, but is there like an ideal Linux server (?) distro for a Plex server, something super rock stable that ideally can reboot itself and run Plex in case of a power outage without needing to log back in (or have a monitor connected at all). being able to upload files and manipulate it remotely would be ideal which is why I'm guessing server distro (???).

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'd recommend any distro that you are in any way comfortable with.

I roll with Debian 11 and docker myself on a small SSD for OS and ZFS for media storage. Plenty of guides around. There's small netinstall images that will just put down a base system from internet sources and start openssh.

Everything starts up automatically if the power goes out but you will certainly need to enable power on loss in your BIOS to get the PC to boot automatically when power returns.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

CoolCab posted:

I wanna recycle some old PC components I gave spare into a super simple NAS streaming box I can set up at my ma's house and let her use her fire stick to navigate media.

I have a i5-4460 which should be enough for simple 1080p streaming. does Plex make sense for this use case? I could set the box up here but it seems more logical for the content to be on the local network?

this might be too broad for this thread and I might need to ask elsewhere, but is there like an ideal Linux server (?) distro for a Plex server, something super rock stable that ideally can reboot itself and run Plex in case of a power outage without needing to log back in (or have a monitor connected at all). being able to upload files and manipulate it remotely would be ideal which is why I'm guessing server distro (???).

For sure, I have my nas in an i5-2500k box with Plex server in a container and it handily does a few streams and even some light transcoding.

If you want something that incorporates the NAS features check out UnRAID or TrueNAS which can run docker containers with plex server and sonarr/radarr for media downloading. I personally run UnRAID but TrueNAS seems like a good option too with possibly better drive integrity. There is a lot of discussion on the NAS thread feel free to ask stuff!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I 100% second unraid if you want something a lot easier than rolling your own. I used it up until last year and it's great for this.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Aware posted:

I'd recommend any distro that you are in any way comfortable with.

I roll with Debian 11 and docker myself on a small SSD for OS and ZFS for media storage. Plenty of guides around. There's small netinstall images that will just put down a base system from internet sources and start openssh.

Everything starts up automatically if the power goes out but you will certainly need to enable power on loss in your BIOS to get the PC to boot automatically when power returns.

asking her to turn it on is totally reasonable while "drag a monitor and keyboard over there and let's login!" is a nonstarter, lol.

I've a little bit of familiarity with Ubuntu from running it years ago and tails and that's it. and everything I'm talking about I've never done before (config a system to run indefinitely, Plex itself in Linux, removing into a Linux server at all not to mention do some file transfers ideally) I've got a 128 gig SSD and 500 gig 2.5 inch drive loose that all could for sure get useful life in such a role. plenty at 1080 really.

priznat posted:

For sure, I have my nas in an i5-2500k box with Plex server in a container and it handily does a few streams and even some light transcoding.

If you want something that incorporates the NAS features check out UnRAID or TrueNAS which can run docker containers with plex server and sonarr/radarr for media downloading. I personally run UnRAID but TrueNAS seems like a good option too with possibly better drive integrity. There is a lot of discussion on the NAS thread feel free to ask stuff!

haha they kind of pointed me here, I think it will be a multistage project. I can set up the box here and get it all working with easy monitor access and I can simulate a remote connection via my VPN. always fun to have a project.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I ended up turning my old hardware into a Proxmox server so I can run a Plex container but also a few other things.

It's been fun! But also not a small amount of tinkering for sure.

Edit: and I just went back and read what this all was in response to. Yeah probably a bit too complicated to set up at someone else's house. Then again if you have a server with some sort of containerization it's easier to put stuff like PiHole, wireguard etc on there.

odiv fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 16, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

I use Ubuntu server for my headless Plex server and it's been good, it works like you describe. Plex maintains a repo you can add to the package manager, *arr apps either have compatible packages or their manual install instructions just work, and you can easily set up an SSH server for remote management. You can set up unattended upgrades so everything stays up to date automatically. It's a popular OS so it's easy to find guides for this stuff, either in their docs or random blog posts.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just adding in my setup.

Running Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Sabnzbd off of a tiny old Lenovo i5 mini computer with 8GB of RAM. Works great using Ubuntu server 18 whatever with Docker. I just run updates and upgrades once a week and pull down new container. That acts as my server and then we use an Nvidia Shield for the media player.

Passes the quick and easy test for my wife or relatives that just want to watch something and not tinker around.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Thanks everyone who took the time to explain sonarr/radarr/etc to me. I've followed some links and the good news (for me, at least!) is that it's unlikely that it's something that'll really improve my set-up, as I tend to get documentaries from a specific tracker, but decide on a case-by-case basis if I want to grab it. Movies I tend to just grab on an ad-hoc basis. The automation of sonar/radarr doesn't really solve a problem I have.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm using a RPi4 running Ubuntu and Docker with a DAS and I'm going to second using TrueNAS or whatever prerolled thing. If you're the type who'd enjoy setting it up the way I did, you wouldn't be asking for advice 🙃

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

cruft posted:

I'm using a RPi4 running Ubuntu and Docker with a DAS and I'm going to second using TrueNAS or whatever prerolled thing. If you're the type who'd enjoy setting it up the way I did, you wouldn't be asking for advice 🙃

i don't really mind learning, and want to keep the project cost at a static £0 (which i've technically already gone over given i had to order some sata cables... and a much larger HDD for my own rig unrelated, honest.) so unraid is out. i've got the cpu and motherboard and ram sitting around, as well as plenty of old drives. it will be less headache than transferring stuff she wants via usb drives in the long run. it would be nice to have non-local storage too, in case of a fire or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone have the issue of “Movies & Shows” showing up repeatedly in the Plex library sidebar with a warning icon next to it? I unpin them but they keep coming back.

This is running plex server on an unraid container and playing on an appletv.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Looking to buy a dedicated NAS server. Would a Dual-core C3338 Intel CPU with 8 GB ram be enough to handle PLEX for my home family usage? Or should I spend the extra money and upgrade to Quad-core C3558 Intel CPU with 16 GB?

At most will be streaming to two devices on our LAN.

e: looks like dual with 8gb is good enough.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Looking to buy a dedicated NAS server. Would a Dual-core C3338 Intel CPU with 8 GB ram be enough to handle PLEX for my home family usage? Or should I spend the extra money and upgrade to Quad-core C3558 Intel CPU with 16 GB?

At most will be streaming to two devices on our LAN.

e: looks like dual with 8gb is good enough.

If you're not transcoding to a ram disk then that should be plenty fine.