Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Philippe posted:

Bayonetta is maybe the closest we've gotten to a sad mom game, and it's not very close.

Metroid: Other M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sekiro's pacing is wonky and it feels like its missing piles of content. Im at the final boss, did all the side content, have collected every prayer bead, and have like, 1 of the skill trees mastery skills.

I don't think I've been more unhappily bored in a boss fight than Shinobi Owl in the last decade.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Philippe posted:

The lady option in Fallout 4 is an afterthought and you know it.

Power armored lawyer, fighting for her clients
Wearing half a tank in court and being self-reliant

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Philippe posted:

The lady option entire plot except for Nick and Far Harbor in Fallout 4 is an afterthought and you know it.

FTFY

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Kit Walker posted:

Those fuckers are legit some of the hardest fights in the game. There's also the dipshit in the second version of Hirata Estate who has two dogs with him and gives no opportunity to get a free deathblow on him. Probably died more to him than any actual boss in the game

If you whip a shuriken at him while he's starting to whistle for his dogs you can interrupt him.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Spongebob Squarepants Battle for Bikini Bottom: Mr. Krabs asks for too many shiny objects.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

new thing dragging sekrio down is it keeps hiding its power level -- letting my ego shoot up when i beat a boss in ~30 minutes of attempts, just to reveal the final phase

first lady butterfly, now genichiro. they can't keep getting away with this!!

this isn't really a complaint i just feel silly i fell for it twice

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kaubocks posted:

they can't keep getting away with this!!

:lmao:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Leal posted:

The thing dragging down the majority of games with any sort of dating element is the lack of milfs

You know what I call cougar hunting? Dating in my age group :corsair:

People go on about "where are the mom games??" I wanna know where are the step parent games!

Nobody wants to marry a milf - game devs

(Please do not bring up the over the top internet reaction literally every time a new sultry older woman is revealed)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Go turn off adult filter on steam and try and come back and say that with a straight face. There's plenty of games to cater towards your procilvities

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gaius Marius posted:

Go turn off adult filter on steam

there are rules against telling other users to self-harm

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rockman Reserve posted:

there are rules against telling other users to self-harm

Following the Awful Games thread has been a major contributor in training my brain to be resistant to psychic damage

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gaius Marius posted:

Go turn off adult filter on steam and try and come back and say that with a straight face. There's plenty of games to cater towards your procilvities

I am a man of shall we say discriminating tastes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh man Sekiro, it sure isn't dissapointing at all that the boss progression is full of retreads. The mid game is Boss 1->Boss 1 refight->Boss 2->Boss 3-> Boss 2 Refight -> (optional) Boss 3 refight with another potential refight and a final boss whose first phase is a refight.

It also doesn't help at all that the refights are astonishingly easier than their vanilla versions to the point where it feels like the devs don't understand how their game works.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Kaubocks posted:

new thing dragging sekrio down is it keeps hiding its power level -- letting my ego shoot up when i beat a boss in ~30 minutes of attempts, just to reveal the final phase

first lady butterfly, now genichiro. they can't keep getting away with this!!

this isn't really a complaint i just feel silly i fell for it twice

I got that fear bad with ER. I kill a boss and just wait for it to resurrect, with adds, and then one of those loving tree spirits pops out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I got that fear bad with ER. I kill a boss and just wait for it to resurrect, with adds, and then one of those loving tree spirits pops out

You can immediately tell which bosses will have 2 phases and which won't, but simultaneously so many bosses have double phases it makes the two phases feel bad. Its too common, it becomes an expected thing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Elden Ring 2 really should just be a game where you work the entire game to purify a poison swamp and then find out it has a secret phase 2.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Philippe posted:

The lady option in Fallout 4 is an afterthought and you know it.

In a funny twist it was but this meant the female voice actor didn't have a bunch of people cross directing her and her performance is way better than the blokes

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Barudak posted:

You can immediately tell which bosses will have 2 phases and which won't

wait what?
how?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Rennala springs to mind just because her first phase is crazy easy

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

2house2fly posted:

Rennala springs to mind just because her first phase is crazy easy

Yeah, that's my indicator too, but sometimes I'll walk through a boss (godskin apostle tonight for example) and be surprised there wasn't more

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

wait what?
how?

Spoiler, I uh, guess Every single rune bearer is multiphasal. If they've got a rune, they're two phases. Morgott is the only oddish one since his two phases occur in different dungeons entirely

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Barudak posted:

Spoiler, I uh, guess Every single rune bearer is multiphasal. If they've got a rune, they're two phases. Morgott is the only oddish one since his two phases occur in different dungeons entirely

I don't know how I missed that they were the same person it seems totally obvious in hindsight but I figured that they were brothers or something

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Barudak posted:

But there are a bunch of multiphase bosses that doesn't apply to.
There's a difference between "suprprise! secret second healthbar!" and "changes movesets at half hp". If you don't count half-hp phase transitions then your system has false positives for Radahn, Mohg, Godrick, and arguably Morgott, but if you do count it then there are a bunch of multi-phase bosses that aren't included in that trick like Maliketh, Fire Giant, Godfrey, and even some side bosses like the Godskin Apostle and the Dragonkin Soldiers.. Plus of course Elden Beast which is kind of Radagon's second-healthbar phase? And he isn't a runebearer either.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just responding, spoilers that don't actually matter at all regarding elden ring malekith has a rune, godfrey had a rune. The only multiphasal with multiple healthbars that doesn't have a specific rune is the fire giant (i think. Its been a month or more now since I last played).

The number of bosses who also approximate that trick is too drat high, as you noted, its one if the reasons I was very sour on design of bosses in the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

Elden Ring 2 really should just be a game where you work the entire game to purify a poison swamp and then find out it has a secret phase 2.

Would absolutely play an expanded Viscera Cleanup Detail that was about fixing a hosed up world. Exorcising cursed forests, sealing up a ship after Xenomorphs have been all over shooting acid at everything, putting a planet back together after it gets turned into a Mario level and chunks of cities are just floating in the air, sign me up for all of it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

The thing dragging down the majority of games with any sort of dating element is the lack of milfs

You know what I call cougar hunting? Dating in my age group :corsair:

People go on about "where are the mom games??" I wanna know where are the step parent games!

Rogue in Cyberpunk 2077 is All That. Love her.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Rogue in Cyberpunk 2077 is All That. Love her.

More of a Mommy game, really.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

bossy lady posted:

If you whip a shuriken at him while he's starting to whistle for his dogs you can interrupt him.

You can also use your own whistle to turn the dogs on him. I still died a lot

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Little thing dragging down Rune Factory 5 is that its proper 3d, which means throwing objects can be thrown too high. Its loving up me scoring 3 point shots with my stacks of plants.

A bigger thing dragging it down is the frame rate, good lord.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I posted this in another thread but it really drags a franchise down for me, this awful naming convention trend that's really overstayed its welcome:

Game
Game 2
Game 3: The Subtitle
Game: Just The Subtitle
Game (not a remake)
The Game (a remake of Game (the first one))
The Game 2 (sequel to The Game But Not Related To Game 2)
The Game: One (a sequel to Game 2 but a prequel to Game (not a remake))
The Game: Eternity/Infinity (is now free to play)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

credburn posted:

I posted this in another thread but it really drags a franchise down for me, this awful naming convention trend that's really overstayed its welcome:

Game
Game 2
Game (not a remake)

Game (entirely unrelated to the above, cash in on brand)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

credburn posted:

Game
Game 2
Game (not a remake)

It makes sense though. On the one hand the game industry has become super corporatized with massive budgets and risk-averse investors, so they're making more and more sequels to successful franchises rather than gambling with original/new stuff. So the numbers you'd have to tack on the end of your game's name are getting higher and higher and higher.
But on the other hand a random consumer who sees "Game 7" is probably going to get scared off from trying it if they haven't played Game 1-6. Naming it Game: Random Subtitle" lets you kind of get around that and makes it more appealing to people who weren't already familiar with the series.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It makes sense but also sucks. GAME (2019) is the focus tested coward's way.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agreed. Prey was bad.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

oldpainless posted:

Agreed. Prey was bad.

Yes, but at least Prey was good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

It makes sense but also sucks. GAME (2019) is the focus tested coward's way.

Its so marketers can show that they have got huge google search hits and name awareness metrics in surveys

High number more important than accurate number

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

:mad:

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

my favorite:

The Need for Speed (1994)
Need for Speed II (1997)
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002)