Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Basically Russia has another offensive left in it, in which they try to eke out a win. Then Ukraine counterattacks and tries to retake Kherson. THEN we see some real negotiations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Bremen posted:

I think Ukraine might accept a deal where Russia retains Crimea without Ukraine recognizing their ownership, but not Donbas.

I thought they would demand it back, but now they have AS missiles that can blockade Sevastopol Station, they have the power to lock it down when required.

They might blow up the Kerch bridge though.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Its really hard to guess what Ukrainian leadership thinks about its chances to regain some if not all of its pre 2014 borders

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Despera posted:

Its really hard to guess what Ukrainian leadership thinks about its chances to regain some if not all of its pre 2014 borders

How were they going down there prior to the invasion? Was there something stopping them from taking that back (one of those Minsk agreements) or were they simply not capable?

If they do take that land back I think the most likely way it happens is Russia withdraws (denazification declared complete) and the military resistance in the DPR and LDR collapses with the withdrawal of that support.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1515073778589569028

This got picked up on the GBS thread, speculating that the might do another landing attempt or show of force. Seems pretty dumb to do it without the floating SAM but would also be very on-brand

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

This got picked up on the GBS thread, speculating that the might do another landing attempt or show of force. Seems pretty dumb to do it without the floating SAM but would also be very on-brand

If they were smart they might be using them as bait to provoke Ukraine into firing off some more missiles and revealing the location of the battery and radar.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vox Nihili posted:

Russia can end the war at any time by agreeing to a ceasefire and return to the pre-war status quo. Ukraine would surely accept, it's ludicrous to suggest that Ukraine would aggressively press Russia rather than accept peacefully recovering its occupied cities.

In your head, how does that conversation go? Like what do you think the speech is that Zelenskyy gives to the parents with children buried in a mass grave, to the women who've been gang raped, to the vast millions whose entire way of life is gone for the next generation? This is not a rhetorical question, I want you to actually tell me what you think the message is to get Ukraine to stand down, and why the gently caress you'd think they'd take it when they have the upper hand.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

The Ukrainians will send out Bayaraktars, and the Russians will ignore them as decoys until the Bayaraktars launch missiles from 50 feet away.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the definition of insanity, Vladimir?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

If they were smart they might be using them as bait to provoke Ukraine into firing off some more missiles and revealing the location of the battery and radar.

Okay. Let's imagine this succeeds. They lose another hundred million dollar ship with a couple of hundred sailors in order to take out a Neptune missile battery with half a dozen guys. The missile battery will be replaced by British Harpoon missiles within the week.

Good job?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Either they actually have a plan or this is some leadership frantically screaming at the sailors to get back out into the fight and stop making Russia look bad. If Ukraine sinks the fleet we'll know which one it was.

quote:

This got pointed out but like, you need to understand that ships are force multipliers and each single ship is tactically significant. Trading hundred million dollar investments vs a few thousand dollar ones is.... well that's NOT smart. Losing their flagship to a couple of neptunes was a huge tactical (but not strategic) blow.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 16, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Either they actually have a plan or this is some leadership frantically screaming at the sailors to get back out into the fight and stop making Russia look bad. If Ukraine sinks the fleet we'll know which one it was.

I'm really thinking it's the latter. Odesa was too heavily fortified for a landing and the anti-shipping defenses and mines were picking off the Black Sea Fleet slowly that they just pulled them back to Sevastopol to keep from losing more. The Russians are definitely in "do something" mode here.

I'm wondering who's in those landing ships. After failing to land on Odesa, the Naval Infantry units got sent to Mariupol and got decimated there or are still locking in combat. They can't be stuffing fresh conscripts in them and sending them off empty as bait for Neptune or Harpoon launchers feels like a waste of resources just to hit some truck launcher.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I really think it's as simple as not wanting to look weak.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Sailors could start mutinying if they just sit idly at port spreading rumours of what happened to Moskva and her crew.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Honestly I think if Russia loses any more black fleet ships that would a tremendous defeat. Russian leadership might not care about the soldiers who are taken from poor regions lives but they absolutely do care about power projection and losing any more could potentially be where the losses to Russia's overall strength become intolerable in continuing the war.

In theory, anyway. They might literally believe there is no existence of Russia as a state without conquering Ukraine. And they might be right. But only if they continue their current trajectory.

I'm a big proponent of switching America to a space development complex and Russia could easily make that transition as well. But that takes imagination and change is scary.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 16, 2022

d64
Jan 15, 2003
I really do hope the optimists are right regarding how this is going to go on. This far even taking back territory lost in the south has not seemed very easy.

But at least if it does turn out worse than we hoped, we'll always have the back-stabbing Germans to blame for it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
If Moskva was providing SAM coverage over Kherson, none of the ships moving to the area have any serious LR SAM capabilities, correct?

I mean you could park an S-300 battery on a cargo ship deck maybe but :rubby:

Otherwise to cover anything onshore those ships would be GRAD-bait surely.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Anyways, I think not enough has been said about the fact that Russian killed in action has likely past 20,000 in 51 days.

That's nearly 400 dead every day. That may only be a mid-sized WWI or II battle, but Putin's Russia is not the Soviet Union or the Russian Empire. They are not mobilizing for total war. They have perhaps begun calling up 60k in the last few days and it will be months before they are ready for the field, though Putin my throw them into the fire immediately.

Ukraine has mobilized for total war. They are arming and training hundreds of thousands of men who have already served in the military.

Even if Ukrainian losses are three times what Zelensky has admitted, then the time is quickly coming that the Russian position in Ukraine will simply collapse and Ukrainian forces will roll over all of them.

To some extent I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. The Russians were lucky they managed to stabilize the southern and eastern fronts after the collapse of the north. But their collapse is coming soon. The math makes it inevitable.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Rust Martialis posted:

If Moskva was providing SAM coverage over Kherson, none of the ships moving to the area have any serious LR SAM capabilities, correct?

They still have BUK equivalents on their destroyers (medium range SAM) which provides some aircover but given the effectiveness of Ukrainian artillery, they were probably weary to park their fleet in GRAD-range (~20km) of the shore anyway.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

d64 posted:

I really do hope the optimists are right regarding how this is going to go on. This far even taking back territory lost in the south has not seemed very easy.

But at least if it does turn out worse than we hoped, we'll always have the back-stabbing Germans to blame for it.

Playing defense means lopsided kill rates on men and materiel. If we go with the recent casualty numbers from UA then it's been what, 6:1 in terms of casualties and in theory the Ukrainians have net *gained* tanks?

If you think the Russians are going to keep trying to collapse the JFO area in Donbass, do you start going in offense or do you wait to see if you get them to commit whatever offensive strength they have left and try to break them?

If - and this is a lot of 'if' here - the Russians have really looked at the situation and if they really have been chewed up like we hope, it's possible they are worried that another massive failed offensive would wreck them for a long refit period - like writing off the summer, meaning it's hello rasputitsa again in the autumn.

Meanwhile you do local counteroffensives in the Chersonese and Izyum to block breakouts and outflanks, trying to force them to make frontal assaults while you shell the slaughterhouse at Chornobaivka *again* and chop at their logistics.

I wonder if shelling Belgorod is trying in part to provoke the Russians into more hasty assaults - the screaming over the loss of Moskva in Russian TV must be having some effect.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Willo567 posted:

Is there any source for this quote other than this one Twitter account? Are they reliable?

That account normally is adequate enough to cite, but I cannot find this specific statement anywhere.

Rust Martialis posted:

It was the only floating S-300, as far as I know. However, they could’ve just rolled normal S-300 closer in from Crimea, by land.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 16, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Meanwhile you do local counteroffensives in the Chersonese and Izyum to block breakouts and outflanks, trying to force them to make frontal assaults while you shell the slaughterhouse at Chornobaivka *again* and chop at their logistics.

Why local counteroffensives?

Attack all along the line at night. The Ukrainians have the manpower and the night vision gear. The Russians have neither.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Charlz Guybon posted:

Why local counteroffensives?

Attack all along the line at night. The Ukrainians have the manpower and the night vision gear. The Russians have neither.

Because that kind of 'strategy' leads to your troops running out of supplies and dying in the tens of thousands.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That account normally is adequate enough to cite, but I cannot find this specific statement anywhere.

Yeah, that's why I asked because I also couldn't find anything about this

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Russia can end the war at any time by agreeing to a ceasefire and return to the pre-war status quo. Ukraine would surely accept, it's ludicrous to suggest that Ukraine would aggressively press Russia rather than accept peacefully recovering its occupied cities.

People are objecting to this but it tracks with Zelensky's position

Zelensky's "ruled out trying to recapture all Russian-held territory by force, saying it would lead to a third world war, and said he wanted to reach a "compromise" over the eastern Donbas region, held by Russian-backed forces since 2014.""

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-27/volodymyr-zelenskyy-says-ukraine-willing-to-become-neutral/100943192

Mind you if they do pursue a territorial white peace at the negotiation table that's not the same as ceding the entire Dondas. The separatists only had control of a third or so of the region before the war after all.

But, sadly, as Morrow points out substantive negotiations are likely to be a long ways off in any case

Morrow posted:

Basically Russia has another offensive left in it, in which they try to eke out a win. Then Ukraine counterattacks and tries to retake Kherson. THEN we see some real negotiations.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Three days and no news on the Moskva crew?

So basically we have a Kursk disaster time five that Russia is keeping quiet.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Guess who?

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

CSM posted:

Three days and no news on the Moskva crew?

So basically we have a Kursk disaster time five that Russia is keeping quiet.

If there were marines on board in addition to crew it could be even worse. Tho they are probably fighting in donbas right now.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

PerilPastry posted:

Zelensky's "ruled out trying to recapture all Russian-held territory by force, saying it would lead to a third world war, and said he wanted to reach a "compromise" over the eastern Donbas region, held by Russian-backed forces since 2014.""

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-27/volodymyr-zelenskyy-says-ukraine-willing-to-become-neutral/100943192

This is from March 27th. The way this war is going (and most others are as well), it might as well be from 100 years ago. It's his statement about "neutrality", which to Russia means "our backyard", but he wanted it to be backed by a group of countries from different regions, which was a non-starter.

Additionally, he has a way of releasing statements that through some game of telephone between all the translations, misunderstandings and different definitions of the same terms come out to be very surprising before someone digs a little into what he actually meant. I guess this is why bigger countries have their own staff for translating their communications into major languages.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

This is from March 27th. The way this war is going (and most others are as well), it might as well be from 100 years ago. It's his statement about "neutrality", which to Russia means "our backyard", but he wanted it to be backed by a group of countries from different regions, which was a non-starter.

Wasn't Ukraine's territorial sovereignty already guaranteed by both the USA and Russian Federation?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

PerilPastry posted:

Mind you if they do pursue a territorial white peace at the negotiation table that's not the same as ceding the entire Dondas. The separatists only had control of a third or so of the region before the war after all.

But, sadly, as Morrow points out substantive negotiations are likely to be a long ways off in any case

I have a theory that the reason Russia pulled out of peace talks the other week is that a more confident Ukraine stepped up their demands and Russia wasn't even willing to negotiate around those.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Gervasius posted:

Guess who?

le reality of the world where Russia should just be allowed to gently caress with whoever they want on a dime right? God I hate these people so much, and boy will I cackle if the Ukrainians manage to gut russia's entire standing armed forces capacity. Every vehicle, tank, and plane they lose can't be replaced. Ukrainians however are both doing well in supplies from other countries and captured gear. :sickos:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

While Russia isn't going to be giving up Crimea in this war, I think the odds of them losing it in the next 5 to 20 years are pretty high. My gut instinct is that a post Putin successor will concede it as an "independent" state in order to normalise relations with the west again.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

While Russia isn't going to be giving up Crimea in this war, I think the odds of them losing it in the next 5 to 20 years are pretty high. My gut instinct is that a post Putin successor will concede it as an "independent" state in order to normalise relations with the west again.

It will probably help that residents of Crimea will be looking at an economically hosed Russia with few prospects or a Ukraine that is the beneficiary of a Marshall Plan.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Didn't see this posted yesterday, apologies if it's old

Germany budgets 2,5bn - 3bn for floating LNG terminals

https://www.handelsblatt.com/politi...s/28256516.html

deepl translation posted:

Finance minister approves almost 2.5 billion euros for LNG terminals

The terminals are to bring liquefied natural gas to Germany in order to reduce dependence on Russian gas. The money for this has now been released.

The Federal Government wants to spend up to 3 billion euros on four floating liquefied natural gas terminals over the next ten years. According to the report, the Ministry of Finance has already released the funds without first consulting the Bundestag's budget committee. This was for "compelling reasons", according to a letter from the Federal Ministry of Finance to Bundestag President Bärbel Bas.

On Thursday and 20 April, corresponding charter contracts were to be signed, it said. The aim is to import liquefied natural gas (LNG) to secure the gas supply for Germany. More LNG is a building block in the German government's efforts to reduce dependence on Russian gas supplies. The liquefied gas is delivered by tanker.

A spokesman for the energy company RWE said RWE is involved in chartering floating LNG terminals on behalf of and in the name of the German government. Depending on how quickly the onshore connection for the pipeline is available, RWE expects that some of the ships could be ready for use as early as next winter. The German government is examining which landing points would be suitable for the ships. Ports such as Wilhelmshaven, Brunsbüttel or Rostock are basically conceivable.

Government sources said it was true that the Ministry of Economics and Climate Protection had signed contracts for the chartering of three floating terminals. The chartering itself is done by private companies. Planning and preparations are also underway for negotiations for a fourth floating terminal.

An "Energy Security Progress Report" issued by the Ministry of Economics at the end of March said that the German government had acquired options for three floating LNG terminals through the companies RWE and Uniper in order to further increase security of supply in Germany.

The German government is currently examining possible locations on the North Sea and Baltic Sea. The terminals could be deployed there in the short term, in some cases as early as the winter of 2022/23. The finance ministry's letter spoke of four floating storage and regasification units.

An LNG import terminal is planned in Wilhelmshaven, for example. To connect this to the gas transmission network, a 30-kilometre pipeline is to be built in the district of Friesland by the end of this year. Together with a floating platform, via which the liquefied natural gas will be landed and converted back into a gaseous state, LNG imports via Wilhelmshaven are to begin by the beginning of 2023 at the latest.

Lower Saxony's Energy Minister Olaf Lies (SPD) presented corresponding plans together with the gas grid operator Open Grid Europe, which wants to build the pipeline, and representatives of local authorities. According to the energy ministry in Hanover, permanently installed terminals could be ready for operation from 2025 at the earliest.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gervasius posted:

Guess who?

I really, truly wonder whether they’re talking in bad faith to be contrarian assholes or paid shills, or whether they genuinely cannot conceive of the reality of the situation right now, namely that Russia is in no place to force a victory and the economic clock is ticking for them as thy are unable to replace losses to materiel.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Gervasius posted:

Guess who?

Sounds like Mearsheimer who is still frozen in his view of Russia as a global superpower, and continues to advocate for appeasement and insisting Ukraine must become neutral and kowtow to Moscow. It's almost like he loathes the idea of a world where Russia is not a great power. At the same time he staunchly claims that the EU and India can never become great powers. The crazy part is that the world is multi-polar - especially when looking at economic power. It's just not the poles that he is fixated on: USA, Russia, China. It is not a law of nature that Russia must be a great power and the world must recognize it as such. This is the guy screaming about the hurricane being there whether we like or not, when there's nothing but a faint breeze. Yeah, sure, hurricanes exist. But this isn't one such.

(I'm not trying to downplay the tragedy and magnitude of the suffering on the ground - but those are not related to any intrinsic power of Russia - that is just sadly what any lesser regional power can inflict when the brakes are off and they have nukes to prevent intervention).

PederP fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 16, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gervasius posted:

Guess who?

You can’t make me. :colbert:

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Additionally, he has a way of releasing statements that through some game of telephone between all the translations, misunderstandings and different definitions of the same terms come out to be very surprising before someone digs a little into what he actually meant. I guess this is why bigger countries have their own staff for translating their communications into major languages.

There was nothing to misinterpret in that statement.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It was the only floating S-300, as far as I know. However, they could’ve just rolled normal S-300 closer in from Crimea, by land.

That would still leave them quite exposed whenever they stray farther from the coast.

Completely unrelated, but does anyone know if Mig-29s can carry anti-ship missiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

PederP posted:

Sounds like Mearsheimer who is still frozen in his view of Russia as a global superpower, and continues to advocate for appeasement and insisting Ukraine must become neutral and kowtow to Moscow. It's almost like he loathes the idea of a world where Russia is not a great power. At the same time he staunchly claims that the EU and India can never become great powers. The crazy part is that the world is multi-polar - especially when looking at economic power. It's just not the poles that he is fixated on: USA, Russia, China. It is not a law of nature that Russia must be a great power and the world must recognize it as such. This is the guy screaming about the hurricane being there whether we like or not, when there's nothing but a faint breeze. Yeah, sure, hurricanes exist. But this isn't one such.

(I'm not trying to downplay the tragedy and magnitude of the suffering on the ground - but those are not related to any intrinsic power of Russia - that is just sadly what any lesser regional power can inflict when the brakes are off and they have nukes to prevent intervention).

I do wonder if these people would apply the same reasoning if the US decided to invade another country? Sorry Iraqis, you might not like becoming a US puppet but they got nukes and them's the breaks.