Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baconroll posted:

If American special forces are there doing training then its pretty clear its not the Seals - as the book would already be out.

And lots of tomahawkings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“And that’s how you canoe a guy so you mess up facial identification and desecrate a corpse for no particularly good reason. Oh, how many cases of ManSlam PoweFluid can I put you guys down for?”

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

IPCRESS posted:

Really? I thought Springtime for NLAW.

Nuclear winter for Poland and France.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/ChuckPfarrer/status/1515110096623206403?t=-rbciiDd85iev3sq2EqB1Q&s=19

Is anyone else making these kinds of allegations and if so how credible could they be?

Disregard all these dipshit "experts" on Twitter unless they provide a clear source for every single statement they make, it will make your life much easier.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
It also took almost 40 years for public clarity on HMS Sheffield's nuclear weapons after it was sunk in the Falklands war.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I was well and truly beaten.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 16, 2022

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Herstory Begins Now posted:

On a related note, it's a pretty incredible that they hit Moskva with missiles like 10 miles from Snake Island, the origin of 'russian warship, go gently caress yourself.'

It was such a good response it became real if you believe the Russian version of the events.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

So here's a random question, do militaries and more specifically special forces ever train to use different weapons than what they're normally expected to field? Do Seals or the SAS ever have an "AK" training/familiarization day where that's what they use because they might be in a situation where that's what they're left with or what they have to train others with? Or does the platform not matter all that much in the end?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Imp of Nipples posted:

So here's a random question, do militaries and more specifically special forces ever train to use different weapons than what they're normally expected to field? Do Seals or the SAS ever have an "AK" training/familiarization day where that's what they use because they might be in a situation where that's what they're left with or what they have to train others with? Or does the platform not matter all that much in the end?

If you know how to use a modern assault rifle, the AK takes maybe 15 minutes of familiarization. It's a weapon designed for drunk peasants.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

If you know how to use a modern assault rifle, the AK takes maybe 15 minutes of familiarization. It's a weapon designed for drunk peasants.

Fair enough and that's what I assumed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/green-berets-and-foreign-weapons-like-kids-in-a-candy-store/

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

"Chicago Piano"? "Hitler's Bone Saw"?!? Are they loving trolling?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Interesting. Thanks.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

A.o.D. posted:

"Chicago Piano"? "Hitler's Bone Saw"?!? Are they loving trolling?

I mean, it's a poorly written clickbait trash article, but the answer is yes, special forces are often familiar with foreign weapons.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I mean, it's a poorly written clickbait trash article, but the answer is yes, special forces are often familiar with foreign weapons.

No like, as opposed to the correct terms "Chicago typewriter" and "Hitler's buzzsaw"

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stalin's record player

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
How to use AK:

Step 1: There is no step 1

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I remember famously in Punisher: Born #2 where he says "Give me the donkey".

Also the InRangeTV/ForgottenWeapons project WWGD "What would Garand do?"

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

WaltherFeng posted:

How to use AK:

Step 1: There is no step 1

I was informed that the first requirement was for it not to be a good day

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Barcley posted:

I was informed that the first requirement was for it not to be a good day

Every time I got to shoot a machine gun was a very good day.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i can't picture anyone who has used a contemporary issue rifle being puzzled for more than a minute

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

A.o.D. posted:

Every time I got to shoot a machine gun was a very good day.

Did you also see the lights of the Goodyear blimp?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sneakyfrog posted:

i can't picture anyone who has used a contemporary issue rifle being puzzled for more than a minute

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about someone being puzzled or not but more if there was any need for some level of proficiency and if that's even a concern on any level. I mean, I've never fired a gun and even I am sure I could shoot an AK. But I wouldn't be good at it, certainly. And I wasn't even thinking just about AKs but the other way around. But that's probably not that much of a concern seeing how AKs are a bit more ubiquitous.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

.ru state television having a normal one

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I'm the Flying Spa-

HEY <:mad:>

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

I don't get it. Global labor movement is nazis? Russian orthodox church is nazis? Israel is nazis?

I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Where are the easiest two places to find a former SEAL?

A book signing or prison! :dadjoke:

All the goddamn time. We had two CONEXs of miscellaneous crap 'Foreign Familiarization' hardware that had been accumulating since Korea, including a Chinese made DshK clone on a tiny little two-wheeled carriage with the cutest little gunshield. The SF 18B course has several days, if not a week, of range time built into their syllabus for training on all kinds of weird poo poo.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 16, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I don't get it. Global labor movement is nazis? Russian orthodox church is nazis? Israel is nazis?

I DON'T UNDERSTAND

I think that was originally a gag image that was supposed to be "the most offensive flag in the world" or something like that.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

Haha, is that "Slava Ukraini" spelled out in faux-Arabic font on the left? Many layers to this image.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm the Kalashnikov.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

I think that was originally a gag image that was supposed to be "the most offensive flag in the world" or something like that.

yeah, I followed the thread elsewhere and eventually gained a glimmer of understanding.

Is this like that one time some Arab news station used an image of Evil Bert?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm the Pride flag.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm women.

Not one woman. Women.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

A.o.D. posted:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND

look more closely, not just nazis, or amerinazis

ameri-feminazis

e: im too slow lmao

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Joke Miriam posted:

No like, as opposed to the correct terms "Chicago typewriter" and "Hitler's buzzsaw"

Apparently "Chicago piano" is genuinely an alternative nickname for the Thompson (according to Wikipedia's disambiguation page at least), but I had the mental image of US SOF having these literal museum pieces just for giggles:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1.1-inch/75-caliber_gun

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

Apparently "Chicago piano" is genuinely an alternative nickname for the Thompson (according to Wikipedia's disambiguation page at least), but I had the mental image of US SOF having these literal museum pieces just for giggles:

I have seen Chicago Piano used to refer to that specific anti-aircraft setup. Calling a Thompson that is likely just a result of someone who has heard of 'piano' and 'typewriter' getting them confused when talking about guns.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A.o.D. posted:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND

"Nazi" = "enemy of Russia", because Russia defeated the Nazis in ww2, and that means Russia is the nazi defeating nation, and that means anyone opposing Russia must be a pro nazi Nazi.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Discussion Quorum posted:

We had a WWII vintage M20 75mm recoilless rifle in our CONEX. No ammunition, but we had the drat thing taking up space.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm a European who's only ever shot clays with a shotgun that was loaded by somebody else before it was handled to me but I'm fairly sure I could operate an AK:
-there's a little catch in the vicinity the magazine to release it and put in a new one
-next there's a handle sticking out of a long slot on the side that must be pulled backwards to get the first bullet out of the magazine into the gun
-before shooting there's a safety lever that changes between no bullets/yes bullets
-and finally there's the trigger that makes the bullets come out the front
The only part I could imagine having issues with is the language of the safety markings but I assume that could be determined empirically by not putting in any bullets and listening to which position makes clicking noises when the trigger is pulled and which doesn't.

Regarding Ukraine salvaging the nukes that may or may not be on the wreck of the Moskva, wouldn't they be in a very poor state after the big tubes of rocket fuel they were attached to caught fire and exploded? It is my civilian understanding that nuclear weapons lose their ability to do nuclear explosions if the supporting components are damaged and Ukraine already has easy access to charred chunks of plutonium without going fishing for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Stalin's record player

Churchill's hurdy gurdy