Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hughlander posted:

I feel I keep asking stupid questions in orb. But here’s todays. I unlocked alchemy but only have the first recipe. I see a research thing that takes 20 water but haven’t discovered the source of it yet. I think I finished research alchemy 2 even but maybe I went to sleep with it going. Where the water at?

There's a spell that generates water/fire just gotta keep on that path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I am nearly at the bleeding edge in IMR, and the quantum challenge system is bad, but I think Primordium might be even worse. 8 possible bonuses, and you get a few dozen points that are randomly assigned to them. Some of them are better than others, so have fun pulling them out and putting them back in until the RNG gives you a favorable combination! At least the quantum challenges improved on the original Synergism system by making it a binary "Can you finish this? yes/no" instead of the monster optimization problem in Synergism. Whereas Primordium is like the cube opening thing, but you are strictly limited in the number of points you can put into it, instead of just adding more and more points to fix any imbalances.

Also, it still hasn't fixed the Buy Max problem/exploit.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm having a fantastic time with Orb of Creation. I think it manages to avoid a lot of the common pitfalls with active incrementals; there's effectively always something to do, and you're encouraged to constantly tinker with your spellbook to keep things optimized. I'd argue it's barely in the genre at all, it's almost more of a puzzle game.

I'm admittedly not very far into it; I was playing 0.4, had to start over with 0.5, and I'm just now hitting the start of Artifice again.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I'm 15+ hours in and it feels like I'm near the end of the content but there might be 10 more hours of diminishing returns as far as I know

Clicking through all the different tabs looking for upgrades and mousing over everything over and over triggers my RSI but maybe I'm just old.

There's some things that are only available in tooltips that I wish were more obvious from the main UI, like what resources (i.e. mechanical vs herbalism or whatever) a given alchemy thingy is consuming (so I know what to turn off if I need to add a new thingy).

The game I would most compare it to is the Alkahistorian series where you're constantly fiddling with one thing to try to increase the resource cap for another thing to let you boost a third thing and so on

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I enjoyed what I played of OoC but at a certain point there were so many upgrades that I never really bothered reading what any of them did before upgrading, as long as I could afford it. It doesn't matter because every upgrade helps but it felt like way, way too many upgrades spread across a bunch of different menus and it just got tedious clicking around everything. I was having more fun once I broke into Alchemy because at least at that point you're generating enough of all the resources on your own and don't have to constantly be casting spells to refill your supply. I'd love to have OoC on my phone- something I can dick around with when I have a couple spare minutes like on the couch while watching baseball or something.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Sivart13 posted:

Clicking through all the different tabs looking for upgrades and mousing over everything over and over triggers my RSI but maybe I'm just old.

You can navigate through the tabs w/ the arrow keys and there are binds to jump to certain menus but you have to set them yourself

I have tab for spell loadout and A for artifacts, for example

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I put the tab switching stuff on WASD instead of the arrow keys so it was convenient to mix in with mashing 1-6 to cast spells.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
wow I absolutely loved orb of creation. are there any other games like this in the incremental games space? I just saw alkahistorian up above and I'm giving that a shot too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Impermanent posted:

wow I absolutely loved orb of creation. are there any other games like this in the incremental games space? I just saw alkahistorian up above and I'm giving that a shot too.

I just posted in the Steam thread about how much I'm enjoying it, and it's kind of a sideways recommendation, but Orb almost reminds me of Factorio more than it does traditional incremental games. You can idle and grind for stuff, but usually if you're doing so it means you've missed solving some efficiency puzzle that can catapult you forwards.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

goferchan posted:

I just posted in the Steam thread about how much I'm enjoying it, and it's kind of a sideways recommendation, but Orb almost reminds me of Factorio more than it does traditional incremental games. You can idle and grind for stuff, but usually if you're doing so it means you've missed solving some efficiency puzzle that can catapult you forwards.

I totally get what you're saying and agree one hundred percent but also I already have like 500 hours in factorio - oh there's a space exploration mod now, hmm....

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Impermanent posted:

I totally get what you're saying and agree one hundred percent but also I already have like 500 hours in factorio - oh there's a space exploration mod now, hmm....

the space exploration mod is... a bit of a mess and the dev is really Particular about his license/what other mods he lets work with it and disables a bunch of stuff arbitrarily because it doesn't fit his sense of gameplay aesthetics. I personally really wouldn't recommend it .

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
I remember that stage of Minecraft modding, and it is always fun watching modders meltdown when people don't want to play the game according to their Vision.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
wow y'all weren't kidding Quantum Challenges loving suck

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Hot-take: I think Idle Wizard is superior to Orb of Creation, for me.

OoC has polish and great design, is a well done game, where Idle Wizard is horrible programmer art. But Idle Wizard achieve for me what OoC is supposed to deliver: have you daydreaming strategies to unlock the next tier. For once, Idle Wizard has more defined tiers and unlockables, while OoC unlockables would be.... a new type of resource? getting passive generatio of such resource? a new subsystem?, it does not feel has focused has what Idle Wizard was for me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

OoC is real solid but it's definitely carried a little by production value. I greatly enjoyed playing through all the content in the current version but it's hard to tell if I would have found it just as compelling if it had a bone-dry, text-only presentation like Evolve Idle or something. I guess my takeaway is that either way, I hope we see some more incremental games with a distinct art style (NGU2 looks very cool in this regard) and that hopefully OoC's success on Steam helps pave the way for more styles of incremental games to gain a platform there.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Orb of Creation just needs a credits screen and it's fine as it is. Not every incremental needs to be infinitely scalable. Increlution has *some* more legs to it but this applies there too.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Evolve idle things:

3000 anti plasmids and I pulled the cord and am in heavy now.

Should I keep doing 4*s now that I have anti-plasmid to prop up the no-plasmid challenge? If I AM doing 4* doesn't that mean I'm free to just spend all my plasmids on whatever perks because there's no downside at that point?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Agent355 posted:

Evolve idle things:

3000 anti plasmids and I pulled the cord and am in heavy now.

Should I keep doing 4*s now that I have anti-plasmid to prop up the no-plasmid challenge? If I AM doing 4* doesn't that mean I'm free to just spend all my plasmids on whatever perks because there's no downside at that point?

The only thing that uses plasmids in 4* is Truepath but you won't be doing that until post-ascension at least, at which point you'll be getting far more plasmids than you'll use. So spend away.*

You'll be spending a long time in heavy as for bioseed-and-up runs you get a bonus of 5% reset currencies* base and per star. *Except artifacts which are 1 per star.

*With that said you may want to do an early 0* ascension after you've gotten all the easy 4* MAD/Bioseed mastery for a custom race as inheriting Slaver from said custom is a huge prod mult and will become a staple of your 4* ascension setups.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 16, 2022

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Should I do some of these challenges that have been unlocking? I have joyless and steel-less at 3* but haven't touched any of the others.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Agent355 posted:

Should I do some of these challenges that have been unlocking? I have joyless and steel-less at 3* but haven't touched any of the others.

You're at the point where you can do pretty much whatever as long as it's not Cataclysm or Truepath. Some of the feats will take a long time to work up to but those aren't really intended for progression.

Of course, feats do unlock new icons to replace the star in the top left if you like dumb cosmetics.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Francis posted:

Orb of Creation just needs a credits screen and it's fine as it is. Not every incremental needs to be infinitely scalable. Increlution has *some* more legs to it but this applies there too.

Oh, does the Ritual part keep progressing for a while? I started seeing upgrades a little ways in with "More dev time" (lol) listed as their requirement so I put it down and figured I'd come back on the next update. I agree though that I'm fine with incrementals having a discrete ending without some infinite "ascension" mechanic, it just didn't seem like OoC was getting to that point yet

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

goferchan posted:

Oh, does the Ritual part keep progressing for a while? I started seeing upgrades a little ways in with "More dev time" (lol) listed as their requirement so I put it down and figured I'd come back on the next update. I agree though that I'm fine with incrementals having a discrete ending without some infinite "ascension" mechanic, it just didn't seem like OoC was getting to that point yet

OoC just released into early access. I don't expect that it's to that point yet, but there's quite a bit of polish for being as new as it is. Personally, I like that I can just sit down and mess around with combos and stuff and still find some number to make move, but there's no "do this exactly this way in this order" parts that I've run into.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

goferchan posted:

I started seeing upgrades a little ways in with "More dev time" (lol) listed as their requirement so I put it down and figured I'd come back on the next update
you can continue on a bit past that point (new upgrades stop appearing around research level 6/7) but putting it down is probably sound

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jhet posted:

OoC just released into early access. I don't expect that it's to that point yet, but there's quite a bit of polish for being as new as it is. Personally, I like that I can just sit down and mess around with combos and stuff and still find some number to make move, but there's no "do this exactly this way in this order" parts that I've run into.

Yeah precisely, maybe it will narrow down at some point, but it usually feels like there are a ton of things I can focus on working towards at any given time and they all contribute significantly towards progression, it's really fun. Lots of times I've sat down with the intent of hitting a certain goal, then remembered there was some other goal I could complete to help me finish that one, then SOME other goal for that one...

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Yeah, the intent is for continued development. I'm just agreeing with previous posters that it gets spammy and wears thin and saying it should just wrap itself up instead.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My main question for Orb of Creation: Where can I get the banger soundtrack?!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

My main question for Orb of Creation: Where can I get the banger soundtrack?!

DLC on steam is the soundtrack.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
In Orb of Creation:

After they were introduced, I didn't use potions *at all* because there were generally only enough mechanical slots in Alchemy to cover all the resource generating stuff.

I coulda turned some of those off and focused on potions for a while instead but it was never strictly required. Did I miss out on some sweet synergies and gains?

Generally if I wanted to hyper-buff a stat it would be through spell combos, but I'm imagining there are scenarios where adding a potion on top of that is even better.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sivart13 posted:

In Orb of Creation:

After they were introduced, I didn't use potions *at all* because there were generally only enough mechanical slots in Alchemy to cover all the resource generating stuff.

I coulda turned some of those off and focused on potions for a while instead but it was never strictly required. Did I miss out on some sweet synergies and gains?

Generally if I wanted to hyper-buff a stat it would be through spell combos, but I'm imagining there are scenarios where adding a potion on top of that is even better.

There's a potion that gives an insane amount of mental quality for a short time, it lets you buy some upgrades way before you could get them otherwise.

Also thanks for the heads up, for some reason I never check the DLC tab for soundtracks, gladly purchased it especially if it supports the dev.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Sivart13 posted:

In Orb of Creation:

I had mana potions running the entire time and they're great, especially for the various charms that also turn mana into another resource. I probably pressed mana potion every single time i cast the blaze generator.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
An idle game should have some kind of ending other than "until you get bored of it" or "until the dev just drops it one day and leaves people hanging".

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

FrickenMoron posted:

There's a potion that gives an insane amount of mental quality for a short time, it lets you buy some upgrades way before you could get them otherwise.

This is the only potion I really used extensively. There is a crafting power potion too at some point, which is good enough to bother with. And mana potions can be convenient.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I always use the mana potion to grown beyond the cap and buy the next tier. It seems designed this way so if you can't grown mana with normal upgrades, you can with the potion.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Evolve Idle's easter event is running. Pair of feats and some free reset currencies by clicking eggs spread throughout the UI. Some races also reskinned for a bit. Same as previous years.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I just started evolve and it's like... Making first, second, third dimensions? Does that sound right? I'm guessing the good stuff unlocks later on?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Maybe a dumb question, but would Planet Crafter count as an incremental game? The goal of the game is to make your terraforming number go up and you unlock better and better ways to do that and have to build more and more machinery for that goal.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but would Planet Crafter count as an incremental game? The goal of the game is to make your terraforming number go up and you unlock better and better ways to do that and have to build more and more machinery for that goal.

Isn't it more of an adventure crafter? There's incremental elements sure, but there's more to do that isn't incremental than there is.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

LordAdakos posted:

I just started evolve and it's like... Making first, second, third dimensions? Does that sound right? I'm guessing the good stuff unlocks later on?

Dimensions? Evolve starts with a short idler of choosing a species before progressing to more a kittens game type vibe with building a civilization. First resets are by nuking each other and it progresses along the path until you're sacrificing your people to make yourself lord of hell.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Planet Crafter is like 70/30 between crafting survival game and idle game. Hope it grows into something real cool as it treks through early access. Someone clued me in to an actual terraforming idle game for phones called TerraGenesis. It's not horrible but it does have most of the annoying f2p mobile game tropes. Cash shop, constant offers to trade your time/data for premium currency, gacha, and destructive events that set back your progress incentivizing paying real money. It is actually extremely liberal with its premium currency provided you watch all the ads, which are of course for far more predatory mobile games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Increulation: I'm farming some hourglass perks, is there anyway to end a run early? Don't want to fail through chapter 9 when I already got what I need this run.