Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

George H.W. oval office posted:

It just sucks because his luck ran out in a super dumb way when he wasn’t being particularly dangerous. Hell the worst fall for Alex Honnold was a routine climb with his partner that almost killed him.

It kinda sucks how the reality is the greats often go out in lame rear end ways. RIP Ueli. You usually don't get to YOLO off the peak into the great beyond (lmao RIP Marco Siffredi you beautiful crazy motherfucker), you just make one slight fuckup or get a bit of bad luck and you are kaput. That's the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At the other end of the spectrum, "Ich kann nicht mehr" :epic:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It kinda sucks how the reality is the greats often go out in lame rear end ways. RIP Ueli. You usually don't get to YOLO off the peak into the great beyond (lmao RIP Marco Siffredi you beautiful crazy motherfucker), you just make one slight fuckup or get a bit of bad luck and you are kaput. That's the game.

Everest: YOLO into the great beyond

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

Saw The Alpinist too.

It was a really good film, I liked it. Marc-Andre truly was in a class of his own. I did get the feeling that he was being super reckless and it was only a matter of time before his luck ran out

Yeah just watched it. I think it probably would have been better if I didn't know how it ended. Dude was insanely reckless. I think maybe the insanity makes you think "Oh, but he was so much less reckless when he died," but nah. I mean, I don't know nothing about the mountain he died on, but I bet it was loving dumb to climb it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Insurmountable, a mountain climbing roguelike, is free on Epic this week. I haven't played it but from the trailer they do simulate stuff like planning what to pack vs weight and running out of oxygen once you climb up into the Death Zone. How many green boots with YOU leave littering the otherwise pristine landscape?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
its too easy. i beat it on the first try. thats not whats supposed to happen in a roguelike

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Epitope posted:

What

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Toni Kurz, last words after his failed rescue during the 1936 Eiger north face climbing disaster.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

'I can't any more' or roughly that I think.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Epitope posted:

"Yours is the philosophy of an old fart"

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
"The Beckoning Silence" is a pretty good rendition of it. Narrated by the touching the void guy. Better than "North Face"

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

New season of Alone is starting on May 26 :woop:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Is there a new thread? All kinds of Everest news hitting.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Is there a new thread? All kinds of Everest news hitting.

:justpost:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Brit breaks own record for non-Nepali summits
https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/british-climber-summits-mt-everest-for-record-16-times/ar-AAXjDP5?ocid=BingNewsSearch

First all-Black climbing team summits Mount Everest
https://news.yahoo.com/first-black-climbing-team-summits-163344096.html

Who is Lucy Westlake? Young Woman Sets Record for Climbing Mount Everest
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/who-is-lucy-westlake-young-woman-sets-record-for-climbing-mount-everest/ar-AAXeJPL?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Sherpa woman breaks own record for climbs up Mount Everest, reaches peak for 10th time
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2022/05/12/mount-everest-sherpa-woman-record/9749065002/

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

why would you want to do the same climb 16 times unless you're getting paid for it. I find doing the same bike ride twice boring.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

As much as I love schadenfreude, it is refreshing to see a slew of positive news in any aspect of life in 2022

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

"Historic heights in mountaineering were achieved this week as the first-ever team of all-Black climbers reached the summit of Mt.Bla Everest."

Does Yahoo News even have proofers?

Also:

"Before Full Circle, only 10 Black climbers were among the nearly 6,000 summits of Everest completed across approximately 60 years, a disparity the group deliberately set out to address through their latest ascent, per the outlet."

Holy poo poo. I would have guessed a low number, but 10!?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

"Historic heights in mountaineering were achieved this week as the first-ever team of all-Black climbers reached the summit of Mt.Bla Everest."

this was written by a dracula

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

"Before Full Circle, only 10 Black climbers were among the nearly 6,000 summits of Everest completed across approximately 60 years, a disparity the group deliberately set out to address through their latest ascent, per the outlet."

Holy poo poo. I would have guessed a low number, but 10!?

Given how many cops have made the climb...

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Members of the New Zealand rugby team?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

how do they know the racial backgrounds of all six thousand previous climbers

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everyone with the money to do it puts it in their permit so they can be the first X to climb Everest.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

It’s Mt. Black Everest now, just accept it.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Sirotan posted:

New season of Alone is starting on May 26 :woop:

The who can starve the longest show is back, well that's fun :)

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

hemale in pain posted:

why would you want to do the same climb 16 times unless you're getting paid for it. I find doing the same bike ride twice boring.

Kenton Cool is a professional guide so yes he was getting paid for it. "Most summits by a white person" is still a stupid record to keep track of.

Also, the all-Black Everest team was still guided up by 8 Sherpas, so I'm really not sure how a climbing team that is half Sherpa guides is an all-Black team, but I guess we just ignore and erase the Sherpas like usual.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gohuskies posted:

Also, the all-Black Everest team was still guided up by 8 Sherpas, so I'm really not sure how a climbing team that is half Sherpa guides is an all-Black team, but I guess we just ignore and erase the Sherpas like usual.

So that's a half-black Everest team then. Half-bla for vampire readers.

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

I spent some time listening to/watching this over yesterday and today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL9UHk1zTeY

I did not realize that 1) Neal Beidleman is pretty much the only person from the '96 disaster that hasn't written a book (he states this towards the end) and 2) he states this is pretty much the most comprehensive interview he's given to date on the '96 disaster.

Not here to start a debate or anything - just thought it was a good way to spend some of my time lately :)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
My gut is telling me Neal is the only one who didn't do something reprehensible to survive and thus felt no need to scrub the story before his reputation got tarnished.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hillary and Norgay: first multiracial Everest ascent

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Have we ever discussed the apparently rampant rumor that the Chinese found Irving's body and his camera in 1975? The story goes that they buried the body on the mountain and attempted to develop the film but it didn't turn out. One rumor even said that they still have the camera on display in a local museum somewhere. I haven't read this guy's Salon article so I can't vouch for his credibility or that of his sources, but here's a fairly in depth interview about what he found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glMT08zmAP0

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

latinotwink1997 posted:

It’s Mt. Black Everest now, just accept it.

Liberaaaaaaals :argh:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Platystemon posted:

Hillary and Norgay: first multiracial Everest ascent

This discussion got me thinking, and it's probably a really stupid question but do we really know Hillary and Norgay were the first to summit? A quick googling shows the qualifying language "first confirmed to summit," but there's no way sherpas have been living there for... who knows how long, and they never tried until some white guy showed up? Come on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Speaker posted:

This discussion got me thinking, and it's probably a really stupid question but do we really know Hillary and Norgay were the first to summit? A quick googling shows the qualifying language "first confirmed to summit," but there's no way sherpas have been living there for... who knows how long, and they never tried until some white guy showed up? Come on.

Everest is incredibly remote. Sherpas live a lot closer to it than you or I or Hillary ever have, but it’s still way off the beaten path.

Now, Aconcagua, the highest peak outside of Asia, that I believe was summited at least five centuries ago. It’s less remote, it’s not a technical climb, and there’s some archæological evidence for it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A lot of cultures near big mountains seemed to develop a belief that tall mountains are sacred places that shall not be climbed. But I think beyond that, climbing very high mountains is a dangerous, and takes a lot of time and resources. And to top it all there was no Instagram for the selfies, so what was the point?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You'd have to be a huge stupid dummy to climb a mountain for no reason

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is there a "no Sherpa" run category or are they absolutely required?

If you schlep all your own poo poo all the way from the bottom, that actually approaches an achievement imo.

Edit: this guy.
Göran Kropp

This guy iswas cool.

quote:

For his 1996 ascent, Kropp left Stockholm on 16 October 1995, on a specially-designed bicycle with 108 kilograms (238 lb) of gear and food. He traveled 13,000 kilometres (8,000 mi) on the bicycle and arrived at Everest Base Camp in April 1996. Following a meeting of all of the Everest expeditions on the mountain at the time, it was agreed that Kropp would attempt to summit first. On 3 May, Kropp climbed through thigh-deep snow and reached Everest's South Summit, a point 100 metres (328 ft) from the summit.[5] However, he decided to turn around because it was too late in the day and if he continued, he would be descending in the dark. While Kropp recovered from the ordeal at base camp, the 1996 Everest Disaster unfolded. He helped bring medicine up the mountain. Three weeks later, on 23 May, he again tackled the mountain, this time successfully summitting without extra oxygen support.[6] He then cycled part of the way back home.[7]

He returned to Everest in 1999 with his girlfriend Renata Chlumska to undertake a cleanup, during which they removed 25 discarded canisters from the mountain. They also successfully summited together.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 21, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mister Speaker posted:

Climbing Everest without supplemental oxygen is much riskier than with, and only the beasts of climbing can do it, with a lot of training beforehand. From Outside magazine:

quote:

For Ballinger, training for Everest was his first priority and full-time job. He fit work and other responsibilities around his weekly training schedule, which included 30 to 40 hours of backcountry skiing, skinning, hiking with added weight, and regular runs. He logged all his training on Strava. The charts below depict the four months leading up to his summit bid.

Sherpas had a living to get; supporting one or more people who were doing nothing but build muscle to climb Everest would have been a big community investment, and for what?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

One word: Reinhold Messner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

One word: Reinhold Messner

*Slowly counting on fingers*