Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

quitting and reloading wouldn’t free you if you were still locked in, it’s what i did when i didn’t realize i had to go back upstairs and talk to ranni and loaded in still trapped until i did. if you can get out you’re fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

For me easily the best section of the game was the Ranni questline, just that whole stretch after defeating Radahn til you finish it was really magical.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Eimi posted:

For me easily the best section of the game was the Ranni questline, just that whole stretch after defeating Radahn til you finish it was really magical.

I haven't finished it yet somehow but I'm at the last step and I swear if I miss out on the DMGS I'm going to lose my poo poo.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Video Nasty posted:

I haven't finished it yet somehow but I'm at the last step and I swear if I miss out on the DMGS I'm going to lose my poo poo.

I'd you're at the last step, I don't think it's possible to miss the DMGS. I don't think there's any way to wrap things up and get closure without getting the sword.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
https://youtu.be/9On1owHCtaE

Here's (part 2 of) a guy trying to beat every major boss with only a shield. His conclusion: not only is it possible, even on poo poo like Rykard, but it's actually considerably easier than playing the game normally. :aaa:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'm in the middle on NG+ and you can tell that in some parts of the game they really didn't properly think about how some enemies work in the terrain, I was fighting the dragon on the bridge at Dragonbarrow and his AI was absolutely struggling to comprehend the environment, getting stuck on every tree and little ledge and way too big to comfortably move around, especially after his flying attacks he seems to get stuck for extended periods of time.

I will admit it led to some unintended comedy though, he got trapped between a ledge and a tree and was stuck in a falling state. For those who've noticed, in these games if a character is trapped in a falling animation for too long they will be guaranteed to die even if they aren't actually moving, which is exactly what happened to poor Greyll who was stuck in limbo between this tree and a ledge for about 20 seconds and then ignominiously died out of nowhere right in front of me without me having to actually do anything.

These Dragon fights work best in open spaces like the lake you fight Agheel.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'd you're at the last step, I don't think it's possible to miss the DMGS. I don't think there's any way to wrap things up and get closure without getting the sword.

I just looked it up to make sure and I didn't realize that I needed to take the elevator up after beating Astel to get to the next area.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://twitter.com/Kiecaburn/status/1511784464267022357

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Finished it last night, my favorite part was probably the descent into the frenzied flame proscription. The last half of Ranni's quest line was good too... I looked up the quest outlines online and reverted the frenzied flame ending using miquellas needle after burning the erdtree and went with Ranni's ending which, after seeing the other endings on youtube, was very clearly the best ending, at least the one favored by the developers (and me). I think this is a great route if you want to see as much of the game as possible without going NG+, but some of the quests involved are insanely difficult to find and complete without guides.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mata posted:

Finished it last night, my favorite part was probably the descent into the frenzied flame proscription. The last half of Ranni's quest line was good too... I looked up the quest outlines online and reverted the frenzied flame ending using miquellas needle after burning the erdtree and went with Ranni's ending which, after seeing the other endings on youtube, was very clearly the best ending, at least the one favored by the developers (and me). I think this is a great route if you want to see as much of the game as possible without going NG+, but some of the quests involved are insanely difficult to find and complete without guides.

Yeah but they give you an npc to help point you towards it (hidden in an even more obscure corner of the roundtable hold)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

beat the game twice and uninstalled it a few days ago but i just reinstalled. i was expecting weird west or ghostwire to pull me in and neither did. here we go bubbies

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah but they give you an npc to help point you towards it (hidden in an even more obscure corner of the roundtable hold)

Wait where in the round table?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So after a big STR character (vagavond start then 60VIG, 40END, 60STR and 20INT for some STR/INT weapons) I want to make a new one instead of progressing into NG+.

Was thinking on a dual flail character (flail, nightrider's flail) with arcane for frost/bleed but I don't know how that works to be honest.

Faith/arcane?

Pure dex? (something like 2x halberds or curved greatswords)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

Wait where in the round table?

Rogier moves to the little balcony, and has a mini quest that explains some very important lore, and also points you to Ranni. I missed both him and her on my first playthrough, so barely understood any of the plot.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Edit - Wrong thread oops

ascii genitals posted:

I love the NG+, so far I've done the fractured ending and frenzied flame ending, going for Ranni in NG+2. I can't wait for DLC.. I never played any of the previous From Software games but this is easily the best RPG I've played in like 10 years no doubt.

Doing new saves instead of NG+ but hard agree. I’ve played like 4 additional characters now and it’s just wildly fun to think up some weird build, google where to get the poo poo you need for it, then start a new save. The game is even better when you don’t feel compelled to hoover up 100% of the map because it’s your first play through, and it makes even the reused and revisited content actually interesting when you come at it from the perspective of “ok but what if this time I’m like 20 levels too low for this and have some weird load out”

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 16, 2022

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

I love the NG+, so far I've done the fractured ending and frenzied flame ending, going for Ranni in NG+2. I can't wait for DLC.. I never played any of the previous From Software games but this is easily the best RPG I've played in like 10 years no doubt.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Guillermus posted:

So after a big STR character (vagavond start then 60VIG, 40END, 60STR and 20INT for some STR/INT weapons) I want to make a new one instead of progressing into NG+.

Was thinking on a dual flail character (flail, nightrider's flail) with arcane for frost/bleed but I don't know how that works to be honest.

Faith/arcane?

You could go all in on arcane and just use weapons that scale with it. Apparently arcane is weird and scales terribly until you put 26 points in it, at which point it scales really well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fruits of the sea posted:

You could go all in on arcane and just use weapons that scale with it. Apparently arcane is weird and scales terribly until you put 26 points in it, at which point it scales really well.

This is a legit a good strat for endgame, because the "god" bosses are all super weak to occult damage and occult gets its highest scaling from arcane.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

26 doesn't sound too bad, what are good arcane weapons? (I can level up some FTH for utility if needed too)

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

This is a legit a good strat for endgame, because the "god" bosses are all super weak to occult damage and occult gets its highest scaling from arcane.

What are some good occult weapons to do that with? I'm banging my head against the last two bosses now, and was going to wait to respec my mainly INT guy until NG+ but would be interested in doing it now so I can go ahead and get there.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Night Comet doesn't really do a whole lot compared to Great Glintstone Shard does it? Even with the 20% buff from the Staff of Loss.

A real shame, was gonna be cool throwing up juiced-up GGS with a midnight hue, but it doesn't seem viable and takes up an extra weapons slot for the passive buff :sigh:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm on my third playthrough and what i'm coming to realize is that i dislike Elden Ring's combat because it expects the player to be as passive as the older Souls games even though it's Sekiro / Bloodborne fast

i've always said that Souls combat got better as it got faster and i stand by that. the problem with ER isn't the speed, just like it wasn't the problem in DS3

the problem is that in Sekiro, and I'm guessing Bloodborne just by reputation, the player can and indeed should usually be the one instigating at least half the exchanges in combat. you're pushed to be aggressive, pro-active, not just fast, and rewarded for it.

i think even in Dark Souls 3 the "intended" way to play is a lot like Elden Ring, you're supposed to wait, observe, see the boss commit, and only attack afterwards. it's just that, with slower bosses than Elden Ring, you can kind of ignore that "intended" gameplay loop and play extremely aggressively in Dark Souls either by having a very fast weapon or because it's easier to hit enemies (even bosses) out of animations

but in ER if you do that you get smacked in the face from 50 meters away. you almost can't ever afford to instigate, and any of the tools that allow you to do so -- frost and bleed weapons (whose procs can fake-stagger even bosses who are normally immune to stagger), weapon arts or spells with extremely long range but also quick startup, etc. -- are so alien to the game's mechanical framework that they're overpowered, trivializing combat rather than just being strong, because nothing in Elden Ring was built around the assumption that you should be able to interrupt it

conversely in Sekiro, you can prevent a boss from acting for a second or two, usually, by being hyper-aggressive -- but then some invisible meter fills up and their next block will be a perfect parry and it'll be their turn again. Elden Ring wildly overtunes bosses when they're acting on their own initiative, but there's no mechanic for them to take back the initiative if the player finds one of the few cheese techniques that outright shuts them down. it's extremely all-or-nothing, which makes it far less satisfying

e: i realized this watching the slvl 1 Malenia run someone posted a few pages back, with the huge list of voluntary things he doesn't do. all the guy does in that is watch for her to start doing an animation, and then step out of the way. the one or two times he attacks prior to seeing her commit, he takes damage or only barely avoids it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 16, 2022

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Parrotine posted:

Night Comet doesn't really do a whole lot compared to Great Glintstone Shard does it? Even with the 20% buff from the Staff of Loss.

A real shame, was gonna be cool throwing up juiced-up GGS with a midnight hue, but it doesn't seem viable and takes up an extra weapons slot for the passive buff :sigh:

Whatever is going on with Night Comet seems to make it a lot harder for enemies to dodge that particular spell, so if you're encountering enemies who are getting out of the way of your regular Glintstone spells, it might be worth trying out.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm on my third playthrough and what i'm coming to realize is that i dislike Elden Ring's combat because it expects the player to be as passive as the older Souls games even though it's Sekiro / Bloodborne fast

i've always said that Souls combat got better as it got faster and i stand by that. the problem with ER isn't the speed, just like it wasn't the problem in DS3

the problem is that in Sekiro, and I'm guessing Bloodborne just by reputation, the player can and indeed should usually be the one instigating at least half the exchanges in combat. you're pushed to be aggressive, pro-active, not just fast, and rewarded for it.

i think even in Dark Souls 3 the "intended" way to play is a lot like Elden Ring, you're supposed to wait, observe, see the boss commit, and only attack afterwards. it's just that, with slower bosses than Elden Ring, you can kind of ignore that "intended" gameplay loop and play extremely aggressively in Dark Souls either by having a very fast weapon or because it's easier to hit enemies (even bosses) out of animations

but in ER if you do that you get smacked in the face from 50 meters away. you almost can't ever afford to instigate, and any of the tools that allow you to do so -- frost and bleed weapons (whose procs can fake-stagger even bosses who are normally immune to stagger), weapon arts or spells with extremely long range but also quick startup, etc. -- are so alien to the game's mechanical framework that they're overpowered, trivializing combat rather than just being strong, because nothing in Elden Ring was built around the assumption that you should be able to interrupt it

e: i realized this watching the slvl 1 Malenia run someone posted a few pages back, with the huge list of voluntary things he doesn't do. all the guy does in that is watch for her to move, and then step out of the way. the one or two times he attacks prior to seeing her commit, he takes damage or only barely avoids it.

Honestly it sucks that Malenia’s rune is so late because it would own to just do a bloodborne run with that + quickstep and a crossbow offhand.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if you want you can just be aggressive, it’s not that hard. Though I also wouldn’t take a level 1 no hit run as how your supposed to play the game unless you desperately want it to tell you what you already want to think

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

causticBeet posted:

Honestly it sucks that Malenia’s rune is so late because it would own to just do a bloodborne run with that + quickstep and a crossbow offhand.

i'm gonna try leaning heavily into fake-rally and maybe some healing talismans for a NG+ run. if nothing else i imagine it'll at least help with some of my frustration with big weapons and two-handing not being very good in this (compared to either powerstancing or using shields)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Guillermus posted:

26 doesn't sound too bad, what are good arcane weapons? (I can level up some FTH for utility if needed too)

Bloody Helice is pretty sweet. The Marais greatsword too, although it has slightly higher str scaling. I want to make a gimmick bell bearing hunter dude with it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

conversely in Sekiro, you can prevent a boss from acting for a second or two, usually, by being hyper-aggressive -- but then some invisible meter fills up and their next block will be a perfect parry and it'll be their turn again. Elden Ring wildly overtunes bosses when they're acting on their own initiative, but there's no mechanic for them to take back the initiative if the player finds one of the few cheese techniques that outright shuts them down. it's extremely all-or-nothing, which makes it far less satisfying

e: i realized this watching the slvl 1 Malenia run someone posted a few pages back, with the huge list of voluntary things he doesn't do. all the guy does in that is watch for her to start doing an animation, and then step out of the way. the one or two times he attacks prior to seeing her commit, he takes damage or only barely avoids it.

I am looking forward to a potential Sekiro sequel moreso than a continuation to Elden Ring and/or Dark Souls because of stuff like this. I think they've reached the limits of what they can do with Soul's combat system in its current form.

Maybe I should try Nioh at some point.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I thought i was mentally prepared for the double secret bonus sewer levels, but man there is a lot of poo poo down here. I don't even want the ending related to it, i just want to keep seeing stuff and the game still keeps showing me new poo poo.

Rivers of blood is pretty fun, not sure i like the style more than Giant Sword Smash or the Moonveil Mage of the bulk of my playtime yet though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if you want you can just be aggressive, it’s not that hard. Though I also wouldn’t take a level 1 no hit run as how your supposed to play the game unless you desperately want it to tell you what you already want to think

I don't think you actually understand the distinction I'm making. Because no, you can't. If you're wildly over-leveled / over-statted you can get away with it and just damage race and win, but that's not the same thing as it being supported by the game's systems.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 16, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Who said anything about damage racing, I said be aggressive.

Why would you want to damage race, that isn’t very fun

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

McCoy Pauley posted:

Whatever is going on with Night Comet seems to make it a lot harder for enemies to dodge that particular spell, so if you're encountering enemies who are getting out of the way of your regular Glintstone spells, it might be worth trying out.

This is the point of the Sellia “night” spells. They are far less efficient than comparable glintstone stuff, but enemies can’t “see” the projectile and therefore won’t dodge them. Unfortunately their lunch is slightly eaten by rock sling, which enemies always mistime their dodges for.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Occult is just physical scaling for people who've boosted arcane, not like a special damage type. So they're weak to it in the way they're weak to anything that gives physical scaling I suppose.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Parrotine posted:

put the staff of loss in the hand you're not holding a real staff in and throw it with the actually good staff, it'll do more damage than regular comet, cost less fp, and enemies don't dodge it.

edit: although the fact you're comparing it to great glintstone shard instead of comet means you're probably more interested in an fp to damage efficiency thing in which case you want to be using glintstone pebble or glintstone cometshard

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 16, 2022

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

khwarezm posted:

I don't know whether this is a positive or not but its still so funny to me that the game has flying enemies like bats and birds fall off cliffs and die, sometimes while flying, or get stuck at lower elevations unable to reach the player. Like people were making fun of this in DS1.

i especially love how in fort faroth and the ruins-strewn precipice, several hard encounters that deal with flying bats can be just easily bypassed by climbing six feet up a ladder

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The mystery of the strongest illusory wall is solved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jNtovi2Gds

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean, it was pretty obvious from the get go they were walls that got dummied out, it was just the one guy fishing for clickbait saying "IS THE WORLD OF ELDEN RING FILLED WITH 50 HIT ILLUSORY WALLS?" that got the internet telephone game going

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

put the staff of loss in the hand you're not holding a real staff in and throw it with the actually good staff

I do this already! I used the beast wizard staff thing I got in the Peninsula area, I suppose I was simply expecting a bigger damage buff than a generally similar damage output. I didn't know they had trouble dodging it, thats a handy thing to know!

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Guillermus posted:

Faith/arcane?

With your first character in mind, I think the other two major archetypes you could go for are gonna be:

- 1:1 ARC/DEX bleed build (try curved swords, katanas, twinblades; you might want to level FTH too if you want dragon spells and key incants like Golden Vow)
- Battlemage (Bastard's Stars is a great flail for mages and you could capitalize on that with nightrider's for powerstance). 60+ int, str/dex as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

FWIW that 1min speedrun is fake. That's godrick that dies, not elden beast. They just noclipped until godrick died, suicide and had their spawn location set to the final area.