Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Philippe posted:

It's basically that game and MGSV, right

I know some of the Saints Row games let you make a custom radio channel of in-game music tracks, and 4 let you play anywhere even on foot.
Is letting you play custom soundtrack over games still a thing on modern consoles? because IIRC the PS3 and Xbox360 let you do that and with PCs just letting you do whatever, most devs probably don't bother making it an in-game things anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Final Fantasy XV you could buy the soundtracks to a ton of older FF Games, 6 and 7 the road trip staples

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember a couple racing games for the 360 would let you do that. I guess pre built in streaming there was no real reason not to

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

GTA Vice City and Gotham City Racing I know you could play your music you saved on your Xbox because I loving loved that you could do that in those games

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TontoCorazon posted:

GTA Vice City and Gotham City Racing I know you could play your music you saved on your Xbox because I loving loved that you could do that in those games

Was it one of the GTA's or Saint's Row's that also had a Custom-Track station DJ who'd cut in with bits between the tracks to make it fit a bit more in-world rather than just be a glorified playlist?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Was it one of the GTA's or Saint's Row's that also had a Custom-Track station DJ who'd cut in with bits between the tracks to make it fit a bit more in-world rather than just be a glorified playlist?

I believe that was GTAIV

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The PC version of MGSV also let you add custom tracks by putting MP3 files in a folder. I had my helicopter blaring Pat Benatar on the loudspeakers while doing a strafing run. :black101:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The PC version of MGSV also let you add custom tracks by putting MP3 files in a folder. I had my helicopter blaring Pat Benatar on the loudspeakers while doing a strafing run. :black101:

That's cool and all but anyone who didn't use the Airwolf theme was just wrong, sorry.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

San Andreas didn't have a DJ, but it would mix the in-game ads into the playlist.

But then, San Andreas' soundtrack was drat near perfect and didn't need a custom station.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

That's cool and all but anyone who didn't use the Airwolf theme was just wrong, sorry.

I used Long Tall Sally. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9-GtzLljPU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Opopanax posted:

I remember a couple racing games for the 360 would let you do that. I guess pre built in streaming there was no real reason not to

I was really grateful that in Burnout Paradise you can turn off the awful EA TRAX DJ or whatever it was called. There were two songs out of the seventeen or whatever that I actually wanted to listen to, and you could choose what songs played so... all engine sounds for me.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

You could trick the original Sims games by putting MP3s in the music directories too, which is how I ended up with a build/buy mode playlist of Carpenters et al.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Super Robot Wars, at least the more modern ones, allow you to do custom music. I don't because I actually like the in-game tunes, but you can, and slap any music on any mech (or even attack). I think you can also just replace music in-game so your emotional scenes could be derailed by circus music.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I remember back in the day Rockstar saying that there was some kind of behind the scenes issue that made it so they couldn't just let you listen to music wherever in GTA V and it had to be in a vehicle.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Had to be laziness or a lack of mappable console controls because the characters carry fuckin smartphones.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

I was really grateful that in Burnout Paradise you can turn off the awful EA TRAX DJ or whatever it was called. There were two songs out of the seventeen or whatever that I actually wanted to listen to, and you could choose what songs played so... all engine sounds for me.
I turned those off within minutes and would run a proper Burnout soundtrack from a USB drive while playing it. Just awful.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Blasted through Deathloop recently; found it neat that when you reload, your vision focus ends up on closer stuff and farther sights blur.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

D34THROW posted:

Had to be laziness or a lack of mappable console controls because the characters carry fuckin smartphones.

no they carry featurephones, totally different :eng101:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I started Mafia Definitive Edition today. Its really nice looking on my PS5 other than graphics glitching every so often. I also appreciate that the plot is pretty much entirely about how being in the Mafia loving sucks and is all miserable brutality that destroys everyone involved.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Shiroc posted:

I started Mafia Definitive Edition today. Its really nice looking on my PS5 other than graphics glitching every so often. I also appreciate that the plot is pretty much entirely about how being in the Mafia loving sucks and is all miserable brutality that destroys everyone involved.

Does the Definitive version still have the harsh traffic/gun rules? Because that really helped build up how despite their claims to civility the Mafia are still brutal monsters.

Because at the start when the façade still holds you follow the rules, but as it starts to crack you also gain mastery of how to bend and ultimately completely break the rules.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
They have a bunch of different options for things like overall difficulty, police response, aim and such. I'm playing on what it defaults to which is more forgiving but there is a Classic Mode option that is supposed to be entirely the same as the original.

Its such a different start compared to something like the Godfather game or even Mafia 3 where there is absolutely no glamour or honor to any of this. Tommy was dragged into a bunch of poo poo because two gangsters put a gun to his head and told him to drive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The spider lady boss in Nioh is really interesting because most of the time a boss has two modes in those games, aggressive or VERY aggressive after half health, but this one does something different. She has a more defensive mode for if you do a lot of damage quickly where she hunkers down into a spider-like stance and just does things to try to keep you away from her, like swinging her entire rear end at you if you are enroaching or spitting webbing at you to slow you, or just a small swipe with a front leg as a warning shot. Then when she's feeling confident she rears up and resumes her more aggressive (and easier to deal with in some ways) attack pattern, charging across the room and doing longer combos. Most bosses only really change their patterns as their health reaches certain thresholds so hers being just whenever it feels appropriate for her makes it seem less video-gamey, and more like you are fighting something that just doesn't want to die.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Speaking of Mafia 3, I really like that people in the world bring up that the optics of a Black guy running around shooting people in the 60s will make it more difficult for other people of colour in New Bordeaux. There's also a copycat killer that the racist radio guy talks about.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Rebel Galaxy let's you drop mp3 files into folders labeled things like "Combat" and "Dock" and shuffles the tracks therein in those situations

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

The spider lady boss in Nioh is really interesting because most of the time a boss has two modes in those games, aggressive or VERY aggressive after half health, but this one does something different. She has a more defensive mode for if you do a lot of damage quickly where she hunkers down into a spider-like stance and just does things to try to keep you away from her, like swinging her entire rear end at you if you are enroaching or spitting webbing at you to slow you, or just a small swipe with a front leg as a warning shot. Then when she's feeling confident she rears up and resumes her more aggressive (and easier to deal with in some ways) attack pattern, charging across the room and doing longer combos. Most bosses only really change their patterns as their health reaches certain thresholds so hers being just whenever it feels appropriate for her makes it seem less video-gamey, and more like you are fighting something that just doesn't want to die.

Your posts are really making me want to go back and replay Nioh 1 for probably the tenth time. I loved that whole level: the spooky atmosphere, the weird spindly designs of the yokai spiders, the optional but strangely engaging scavenger hunt for the tea pot shards. But my favorite part is that the whole reason you go there at all is because Ieyasu's advisors are like "I don't trust this weird white dude. Send him to the spider hell castle and see if that gets rid of him."

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I just wanted to see if the Soviets and African PMCs would hit me with their best shot.

Kaiju Cage Match has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Apr 18, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Crowetron posted:

Your posts are really making me want to go back and replay Nioh 1 for probably the tenth time. I loved that whole level: the spooky atmosphere, the weird spindly designs of the yokai spiders, the optional but strangely engaging scavenger hunt for the tea pot shards. But my favorite part is that the whole reason you go there at all is because Ieyasu's advisors are like "I don't trust this weird white dude. Send him to the spider hell castle and see if that gets rid of him."

So much of Nioh and Nioh 2 is basically just a series of small Survival Horror games, where you go to a weird place, gather keys and figure out the mystery while trying not to get killed by ghosts.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

no they carry featurephones, totally different :eng101:
In GTA5 everyone has smartphones (the game is from 2013). Michael has an iPhone, Franklin's resembles a Samsung phone and Trevor uses a Windows phone with a busted screen.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

orcane posted:

In GTA5 everyone has smartphones (the game is from 2013). Michael has an iPhone, Franklin's resembles a Samsung phone and Trevor uses a Windows phone with a busted screen.

It's hilarious how that little UI decision dates the game more unintentionally than Vice City desperately and intentionally tried to ape the 80s

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well that and the "haha isn't America stupid" attempts at humor that are often based on an over the top GW Bush version of the US, but before Tangerine Man.

Haha torture and waterboarding. Politicians suggesting arming everyone at schools. PMC and military hardware shooting up civilians inside the country. Wouldn't that be absurd or hilarious?

orcane has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Apr 17, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Calaveron posted:

It's hilarious how that little UI decision dates the game more unintentionally than Vice City desperately and intentionally tried to ape the 80s

How is that? IPhones and Samsung phones are still here, and the point is that Trevor has a lovely old broken phone

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How is that? IPhones and Samsung phones are still here

They sure as hell don't look like that any more though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Big missed opportunity to update them for the PS5/XSX rerelease

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

haveblue posted:

Big missed opportunity to update them for the PS5/XSX rerelease

That would've been cute but how does that generate them shark cards sales

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The game is a period piece why would they update it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Calaveron posted:

That would've been cute but how does that generate them shark cards sales

A whole new category of cosmetics, phone skins

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Speaking of GTA5, my wife likes to drive out to one specific farm in Grapeseed and take the forklift and attempt to lift the cows. Sometimes she succeeds. Sometimes she ends up running from the police in a forklift. Sometimes she dodges a 3 star wanted rating by swimming absurdly far into that lake near Grapeseed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gaius Marius posted:

The game is a period piece why would they update it

Also Niko’s phone is way more outdated. Hell, I’m impressed that the phones in GTAV don’t feel older than they do after a decade.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GTA V's smart phones thing was more about what each type of phone said about the character than the phone resembling their real counterparts, which definitely did age well imo. Michael for example is exactly the type of guy who would have every new iphone on auto buy because who cares it's the newest shiniest one, but you can feel the disdain he has for it by how hard he jabs the screen with his thumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've been pissy about the story of Returnal for a long time but the free DLC adds a completely believable and innocuous detail that doesn't address my central issue with the plot but still kind of has me falling in love with it

also the DLC's gameplay is fantastic, it's housemarque's frenetic arcadey style at its finest