Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

calcio posted:

Okay, a contextual ping may work with a hot key and hopefully will help avoid some toxicity. But there are still idiots that refuse to swap to counter or are getting countered hard which I need an idiot ping for.. My favorites are the ones that swap with a couple minutes left after spending the whole match eating dirt.

in my ideal world pinging the hero they should switch to would contextually play a passive aggressive comment about their performance and a suggestion to switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Herstory Begins Now posted:

in my ideal world pinging the hero they should switch to would contextually play a passive aggressive comment about their performance and a suggestion to switch

Let me have same team hero bans. Sorry, there’s a pharah and echo on their team. No you can’t play junkrat and sym.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Wow, this is dumb. I had 20 old Anniversary loot boxes, got 2 more from the Remix event by playing. Had to open the 20 old ones first for dupes (I already have all skins from up until today) before I could open the most recent ones, one of which gave me white Genji.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they should have had white palette swaps for the week challenge(es).

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

mcbexx posted:

Wow, this is dumb. I had 20 old Anniversary loot boxes, got 2 more from the Remix event by playing. Had to open the 20 old ones first for dupes (I already have all skins from up until today) before I could open the most recent ones, one of which gave me white Genji.

They changed this about a year ago. It is to be first in last out. Now it’s reversed. I have over 1000 unopened and would have more if each event I didn’t have to open all to get to the new ones.

They really need to do a currency reset for OW2. Have a new currency in OW2 and allow the old one to purchase gold weapons, any (with some limitations) old skin, trade in for new currency possibly at a rate of like 10 to 1 or something.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/playoverwatch/status/1514275373453922306?s=21&t=rrmtWx9gXSEIPd5Pofh9gQ

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Huh, wonder why they released that early.
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1514269445975289857?s=20&t=oZp6PtcP-oSZ8kI7-lwCKQ

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp9WyoI5bLk

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A while ago they talked about how they wanted to remove CC from DPS, as they should be, and I was getting hopeful about it but lol, get hosed apparently because the first OW2 character is a DPS with CC.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

A while ago they talked about how they wanted to remove CC from DPS, as they should be, and I was getting hopeful about it but lol, get hosed apparently because the first OW2 character is a DPS with CC.

I think they were mostly saying hard CC like Stun and Bash

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they added a second soldier76?

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

they added a second soldier76?
Canadian soldier with a rail gun…

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

calcio posted:

Canadian soldier with a rail gun…

You fire an automatic assault rifle that then fires charged up helix rockets rail gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp9WyoI5bLk&t=129s ?

e: Okay soldier 76 with a big aoe slow as her cooldown :stare:

e2: Even in the promo footage she is ~DPS positioning~ lol

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 16, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

you fire an automatic assault rifle that then fires charged up helix rockets rail gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp9WyoI5bLk&t=129s ?

e: okay soldier 76 with a big aoe slow as her cooldown :stare:

and the ultimate is the powered up version of the gun...

but instead of healing AoE she gets hurty AoE that COMPLETELY different.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Actually looks pretty good as a soldier rework imo, not a fan of the cc and I can't fathom why they keep insisting on adding even more cc to the game, but leaning into mobility is good and getting rid of heal can is good too---lord knows OW has 200% too much healing already. I just don't get why they're keeping the old soldier76 in the game.

Jack Trades posted:

the promo footage shows a mei+sojourn dps combo which I'm sure will be very fun to play against

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 16, 2022

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
really any CC in the game should be a skillshot like Ana's sleep dart. People complain about that way less than other CC because you actually have to aim to employ it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

really any CC in the game should be a skillshot like Ana's sleep dart. People complain about that way less than other CC because you actually have to aim to employ it

Tanks should have non-skillshot CC because that would allow them to be actual tanks instead of just fat dps, as a bunch of them are right now.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Jack Trades posted:

Tanks should have non-skillshot CC because that would allow them to be actual tanks instead of just fat dps, as a bunch of them are right now.

I'd reckon that's mostly on the 6v6 model. If it wasn't a main tank / off tank model it would be an absolute grindfest of dual shields with a CC each immovable object v unstoppable force. I reckon we'll see a lot more interesting things balance wise in 5v5.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

I'm going to be mad if they keep the increased cooldown for sleep dart that they were testing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sakara123 posted:

I'd reckon that's mostly on the 6v6 model. If it wasn't a main tank / off tank model it would be an absolute grindfest of dual shields with a CC each immovable object v unstoppable force. I reckon we'll see a lot more interesting things balance wise in 5v5.

Still maintain that reducing the team sizes even more is a massive mistake, if anything should be increasing them to a larger size, 12v12 should be the smallest any casual mode for an FPS should ever go

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Multiple tanks and tanks being as strong as they were was what lead to a lot of the problems with OW1- Damage constantly increased because tanks were too unkillable until the game turned into rocket tag between most non-tank characters, which lead to GOATs because tanks were the only characters who could stick to the field long enough for support healing to do work making them exponentially more powerful then any DPS, which then lead to Bunker once role queue was a thing because those were the tanks that could actually share their durability with the rest of the team.

Like, what OW1 needed was a 30% damage nerf and a 50% overall health reduction on health above the standard 200/250 as well as all barriers, but they balanced the game the other way in fear of making the tank role feel less special so they instead made it super-stressful because tank became the only role that actually mattered in the grand scheme of things- having bad DPS or Supports could make a game hard, but having bad tanks made games straight up unwinnable without a major skill gap between teams since without tanks the rest of the team just exploded on contact.

I'm not saying I have terribly high hopes for OW2- besides being a ABK game which is at this point basically a non-starter, I've got no faith the team has learned how to balance their game in the last six years, but taking a long, hard look at the tank role is at least a sign that they recognize the problem. Taking a swing at hard CC is another, though I think that's less of a role problem and more of a distribution problem- it was honestly much less of an issue in launch OW before they added a whole bunch more characters into the game with hard CC, especially on non-Ultimate buttons, making it far harder to have a six-stack that could all have hard CC buttons then it is now. I guess if they're keeping role counts, tying CC to roles limits how much you can have on the team, but a better solution would be to stop slapping it into almost every new kit- of the heroes added since launch, only Moira, Ashe, and Baptiste lack access to hard CC. Whereas less then half the launch roster had it in any form, and only Cassidy, Roadhog, and Mei had it without Ult charge.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think the O1 has great balance and dynamic play right now. The double shield thing isn't a huge problem. Tanks have an outsized influence on matches, but they don't make massive stalemates anymore. The only real balance problem I can think of is bap.

People are grumpy about the lack of content, which i guess is understandable, but the game is good. I personally don't play games for a new hero every quarter. Mobas are ridiculous and redundant.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

drrockso20 posted:

Still maintain that reducing the team sizes even more is a massive mistake, if anything should be increasing them to a larger size, 12v12 should be the smallest any casual mode for an FPS should ever go

In a traditional FPS sure, but in a hero fps I'd have to disagree. having up to 24 abilities going off at once would not only be a nightmare gameplay wise, not to mention the visual clutter. It's already very difficult to tell what's happening in corridors when multiple people ult, let alone trying to look past larger character models as a smaller one.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

headcase posted:

I think the O1 has great balance and dynamic play right now. The double shield thing isn't a huge problem. Tanks have an outsized influence on matches, but they don't make massive stalemates anymore. The only real balance problem I can think of is bap.

People are grumpy about the lack of content, which i guess is understandable, but the game is good. I personally don't play games for a new hero every quarter. Mobas are ridiculous and redundant.

I haven’t played in a while but the lack of content was never an issue with me. It stopped being fun because there was too much cc, too much healing, and too much shields.

For me I enjoy these types of games when they are fast and have a lot of movement options. If I wanted to play a slow, plodding game I’d play any number of the tactical shooters out there.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

calcio posted:

Let me have same team hero bans. Sorry, there’s a pharah and echo on their team. No you can’t play junkrat and sym.

I can get to them with Junkrat trust me :heysexy:

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
Overwatch has sucked for a long time because instead of making more maps they kept making characters and focusing on pleasing the people that were more concerned with which characters are loving than those playing the game. Literally we could have had like twenty more payload or push style maps but instead we got more characters.

For games that make you do the same thing over and over and over again, the winning formula is to copy other games. New maps and skins make money and keep people playing. There’s still only one actual fortnite character, and the games that have a million characters force you to pick before the game starts and lock you into it the whole game. Overwatch never picked a side

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Big disagree on the tank issue. Damage got absolutely massively buffed to deal with healing being overtuned. This has resulted in the game being massively unbalanced after the introduction of role queue and now playing a tank is "I'm invincible, I'm invincible, oh ana's reloading I'm dead in half a second"

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

dogstile posted:

Big disagree on the tank issue. Damage got absolutely massively buffed to deal with healing being overtuned. This has resulted in the game being massively unbalanced after the introduction of role queue and now playing a tank is "I'm invincible, I'm invincible, oh ana's reloading I'm dead in half a second"

I agree, tanks are way too strong, however, 5v5 is too small a team size. If I wanted to sweat out wins in an fps at that level, I’d play CS. Overwatch is supposed to be a fun relaxing game with fun characters. Dragging the game closer and closer to mostly esports is a bad idea, they need fun multiplayer modes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

And yet, nobody wants to play Tanks.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I haven't really played in ages but 5v5 sounds extremely unappealing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

as far as I can tell, 5v5 is basically giving DPS characters what they want and making life miserable for tanks and supports, which is the standard trajectory of OW development.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm more worried having only one tank just puts all the onus on one player instead of making a duo of tanks less critical

I'm trying to reserve my judgment until it's playable though

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack Trades posted:

And yet, nobody wants to play Tanks.

Because being a tank means you are literally entirely reliant on your team to do anything.

At least when I pick support I can just murder any dumbass who wants to dive me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
5v5 means fewer ults which immediately makes it more appealing

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Countblanc posted:

5v5 means fewer ults which immediately makes it more appealing

but less people to aim them at that aren't you!!

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
they named the overwatch sequel overwatch poo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dogstile posted:

Because being a tank means you are literally entirely reliant on your team to do anything.

At least when I pick support I can just murder any dumbass who wants to dive me.

Sounds to me like Tanks aren't strong enough.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm curious about what they're going to do with Roadhog and Hammond.
Offtank just being the dude that wanted to skip DPS queues sort of works when the second Tank is there to pick up the slack but in 5v5 3 DPS 2 Healers sounds like a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

leftist heap posted:

I haven't really played in ages but 5v5 sounds extremely unappealing.

And now imagine two of the slots are Widow and Hanzo, and they are both terrible.