Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'm finally one of those people who thinks something is too dark and needs to lighten up.

The best parts of the show lately have been 1) Cortana and 2) Miranda and the Spartans figuring out Sangheli. Both involve characters being enthusiastic and positive about something compared to everyone else in the show moping around or crying and screaming.

The show needs more Shoot Aliens and Cortana and Chief doing fun Shoot Alien things asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

More sequences of john putting on his helmet only to immediately remove it on the very next scene.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

More sequences of john putting on his helmet only to immediately remove it on the very next scene.

It's like the show is deliberately trolling the audience with it at this point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol at Assistant Creepo on the drill

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol at Assistant Creepo on the drill

"We need to go to this planet to find a big artifact I buried when I was a child"

*packs nothing but a hand shovel and lovely looking auger*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing the show has going for it is they did a real good job on the Mjolnir armor. It would have been easy to screw that up and get the proportions wrong.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

One thing the show has going for it is they did a real good job on the Mjolnir armor. It would have been easy to screw that up and get the proportions wrong.

I think with how many times that they've fabricated mjolnir costumes for all the various games' marketing campaigns this was probably one of the most likely things they would have nailed, and while the show's suits look pretty good they still move like they're made of rubber and foam

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, everything looks spot-on. The only lovely looking bit so far was the first person shooter shot

e: I hope each subsequent episode is another Spartan catching feelings until the finale though

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 15, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay they still haven't shown me John Halo shooting aliens again but this was an interesting enough episode that I'll give em a pass. Do not care about the adventures of the sole survivor from the first episode. Cool to use her as an anti-UNSC viewpoint for a little while but it's fine to drop her, just show us more of John Halo and the awkward girl Spartan and Dr. Halsey. And no, short little fights with an armorless ex-Spartan do not count, they still need at least a few more scenes with dudes in armor shooting aliens or what the gently caress was even the point of this.

I'm being a bit facetious, but I'm seriously let down by the budget on this thing. What, Microsoft didn't have enough money to be able to afford more than two battles per season? I just had to explain to all my clients how they're raising the monthly prices for Office365 licenses, so I know that isn't loving true. The video games are nonstop fighting from start to finish, assholes, either splurge on some cool fight scenes or don't make it at all.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don’t mind the Halo: Expanse that’s going on but for sure, this show is four episodes in and we’ve only had one John/Covie fight scene and it’s tragic. Hoping this sort of prologue wraps up soon.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I don't get good feelings about Kwan's dad's backstory. I bet those mystics are like Forerunner worshippers or something dumb like that.

grittyreboot fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 16, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

grittyreboot posted:

I don't get good feelings about Kwan's dad's backstory. I bet those mystics are like Forerunner worshippers or something dumb like that.

They won't, but they should end this whole plot with the planet getting drive-by glassed, the end, no moral

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Tighclops posted:

I think with how many times that they've fabricated mjolnir costumes for all the various games' marketing campaigns this was probably one of the most likely things they would have nailed, and while the show's suits look pretty good they still move like they're made of rubber and foam

How close is the show to the canonical enlarged stature of the Spartans? I know it's not really Space Marine territory but I kind of figured they'd be slightly larger than just a head over the average person. And they've cleverly hidden it in the show, at least in the first couple episodes we don't see much of them standing side-by-side with normal folk - when we do it's forced perspective (conveniently now with Cortana being CG they can put her standing next to Chief however they want).

also who would win john halo or doomguy

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
They do a reasonable job, given the fact it's live action. It is somewhat diminished by the fact they never keep heir helmets on, which ruins the illusion. I thought in particular the Miranda / Kai scene this last episode was great at showing how Kai towered over her physically and helped illustrate why Miranda had only ever seen then as machines up until Kia began to open up. Helps also that the actress is really short.

:Edit: actually I looked it up and all the actors playing Spartans are between 6"3-6"5 , with the exception of the red headed one, who is 6"1. I did notice the blocking had her standing on a raised step in one of the early scenes when all four were standing around.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 16, 2022

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Phenotype posted:

I'm being a bit facetious, but I'm seriously let down by the budget on this thing. What, Microsoft didn't have enough money to be able to afford more than two battles per season?

I have no idea how Hollywood accounting works, but I wonder if this show has to make up all the cancelled development costs for the 9 other Halo versions that were in the works before it. I remember reading that about some other properties with long delayed installments.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The action choreography, filming, editing, and effects work from the first episode weren’t great anyhow.

Somehow they made Halo into a reasonably interesting character based show that has minimal action sequences. Hopefully they focus more heavily on the spartans becoming humanized in coming episodes.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

"I'll pay extra if you stop talking, please"

Yes, show. Yes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, they did a decent job with making all the Spartans appear as absolute units, both in and out of armor. I also kind of love how they make sure that John's footsteps go THUNK THUNK literally every time he moves.

Edit: Oh my god the scene with Kai getting hype about the Needler :laffo:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 16, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The show is bad, but I am invested in John and Jane Halo’s emotional story arcs. This cast has some pretty good actors doing their best with dogshit dialogue.

Shows like this scratch the “Saturday Morning cartoons” itch in my 41 year old brain, so I can bitch too much.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm starting to not give a poo poo about Kwan Ha's side story. It's only saving grace is that they stuck Bokeem Woodbine with her.

I'm also not a Schreiber hater and think he's doing a pretty good job with what he has but Master Chief doesn't feel like Master Chief until he puts on his helmet. Take some notes from The Mandalorian.

This didn't become apparent to me until the entire sequence where John is at his old house dicking around in AR. Which is, I think, the longest time he's worn his helmet since the fight with the Elites in episode 1.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Edit: Oh my god the scene with Kai getting hype about the Needler :laffo:

This is honestly one of the greatest scenes to come out of TV in a while.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I don't think they are skimping on money. These 9 episodes cost 200mil.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

WTF :dogstare:
is that normal
how much are marvel shows?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

AndyElusive posted:

WTF :dogstare:
is that normal
how much are marvel shows?

$100-150 million each.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

Christ for that money they could have filmed it on location in space

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah that's very weird. The sets are nice and all but not $20 million an episode nice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the Covenant are coming back next episode so hopefully we'll get to see some more janky action scenes of Chief crouch jumping and Elites rugby tackling trucks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chief better teabag someone before the season finale.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

At least this show is making steady progress on each of the plot threads, which is more than I can say for some stuff I'm watching right now. I've realised I'm paying attention to the Madrigol plotline basically because I genuinely believe that by the end of the season it will have tied back into the other threads in a way that justifies itself.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alchenar posted:

At least this show is making steady progress on each of the plot threads, which is more than I can say for some stuff I'm watching right now. I've realised I'm paying attention to the Madrigol plotline basically because I genuinely believe that by the end of the season it will have tied back into the other threads in a way that justifies itself.

It's kind of funny because I would say the opposite, we have these incredibly ambitious shows this year like Wecrashed, The Dropout and Pam & Tommy who are just like this very expensive and also to some degree adaptations.

Difference, beyond them obviously being adaptations of real stories rather than a fictional universe, is that they star movie actors with busy schedules instead of tv actors and so cannot gently caress around and piss money down the drain in some vain hope of being the next game of thrones. They have to tell a cohesive story and they have to finish it.

It's poignant that this show stars Pablo Schreiber because just like American Gods it's increasingly starting to look an over-budgeted directionless mess of an adaptation. I mean I hope it recovers but it's increasingly heading down the mediocrity-vale of the high-budgeted adaptations of last-year. Like at least give us some fun scenes, you had all this production money.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
So this show is bad but I'm still invested because at least they're trying and it doesn't feel like a cynical cash grab they were forced into.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

It's kind of funny because I would say the opposite, we have these incredibly ambitious shows this year
99% sure that with "some stuff" Alchenar was referring to Star Trek: Picard specifically :v:

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
The set for the asteroid colony looks like the main set from the live action Super Mario Bros movie and I can't unsee it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Llamadeus posted:

99% sure that with "some stuff" Alchenar was referring to Star Trek: Picard specifically :v:

Yes I'm watching bad Sci-fi shows this year.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Look, halo may not be exciting or good or worth your time.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

but it's there

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Arglebargle III posted:

Grabbed this directly from my dating profile?

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"We need to go to this planet to find a big artifact I buried when I was a child"

*packs nothing but a hand shovel and lovely looking auger*

those two are more into the theoretical war crimes end of science than the practical, plus they don't even let mr. chief have shoelaces, let alone tie them

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
When did we see a Hunter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
There is something wrong with the weightiness of the big fellas in the first episode that doesn't really sell their size/capability.

This is all very nitpicky but I guess it sort of does matter.

Some things that don't look/feel right:

https://i.imgur.com/0SV08iY.gifv