Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TIL birdie wing is apparently a madlax spinoff. same writer and the fictional country it takes place in is the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Srice posted:

Which just gets back to how it's a meaningless buzzword that means plenty of different things to plenty of different people. Personally I think it's better when folks post from the heart while also trying to avoid buzzwords :cheerdoge:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

TIL birdie wing is apparently a madlax spinoff. same writer and the fictional country it takes place in is the same

the unique winds of nafrece...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tales of Woe posted:

Lol poo poo now I gotta watch it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S404mS-694

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All I can about anime slavery (besides it being bad and needing to stop being A Thing) is that of all the countries in the world it probably lands the absolute worst among viewers in the United States for reasons I don't think I need to explain.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
other countries famously had no slavery

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Strange Quark posted:

Cool, did they have it as recently as the United States, and have they done as poor a job of properly reckoning with it?

That's clearly not what that guy was saying.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arist posted:

Cool, did they have it as recently as the United States, and have they done as poor a job of properly reckoning with it?

That's clearly not what that guy was saying.

I mean, Japan itself had issues with slavery as recently as 1945 that it hasn't always done a great job of properly reckoning with. :can:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Strange Quark posted:

Yes, that's totally what I said.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

99% of the people who love the shield hero show do not even conceptualize the slavery part of it from what I've seen. And hell, Good for them.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
how does slavery in 19th century america hit any harder than for example the comfort women in the post ww2 era japan. this is primarily a consequence of the discourse on this website being driven by predominantly white americans. it does not "land the absolute worst among viewers in the United States"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Since I'm watching anime again I'm going to post about some anime I've been watching!

Machikado season 2: it's good, ganbarre Shamiko. Must admit I'm less interested in the actual story stuff than Shamiko and Momo hanging out, glad we're entering the 'Momo you'd look prettier if you smiled more' arc though.

Executioners Life: been pretty decent so far though I'm worried how edgy it's going to get, doesn't seem like it would take much to turn it into something Akame ga Kill adjacent but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now.

E-stab Life: no one has been stabbed yet

Onipan: looks good and I find the voice acting uh 'charming' but not very funny either, see how it goes.

Oh I also watched the first ep of the ninja girl show, haha nah

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

how does slavery in 19th century america hit any harder than for example the comfort women in the post ww2 era japan. this is primarily a consequence of the discourse on this website being driven by predominantly white americans. it does not "land the absolute worst among viewers in the United States"
The US has developed a subculture that inteprets eye-rolling cliches intended to establish that the main character is a Nice Person as sincere endorsements of slavery I guess.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Strange Quark posted:

Japan absolutely has its own issues here but we're talking about things so massively different in scale that you can't meaningfully compare them. It's estimated that a full 12 percent of the US is descended from slaves, and those descendants are also disproportionately subject to extreme poverty and racism, all very visible remnants of that system. This is all incredibly obvious poo poo I shouldn't have to point out. I'm not trying to minimize Japan's role in slavery, but this argument you're making is just unreasonable.

I get that you don't want to have this conversation, but you can just say that, you know? You don't have to split hairs like this.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
my argument that slavery does not uniquely land badly with american anime viewers is unreasonable?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
When you check the anime thread and they having a slavery debate:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I've never watched Shield Hero so I thought that Raphtalia was a bear girl until my boyfriend who does watch it corrected me. I'm still recovering from this.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so i guess spring 2022 isn't a particularly great season

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dogsicle posted:

so i guess spring 2022 isn't a particularly great season

Its ok. First season in a while that i'm watching some shows.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Meme Poker Party posted:

When you check the anime thread and they having a slavery debate:

Solid gag tbh.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Maybe there’s people in the world who aren’t American

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

psyer posted:

Another decent episode of Ao Ashi. It seems they have adapting it pretty faithfully. They cut little bits and pieces though. The animation is decent for a sports anime. And it seems the people doing the localization have someone that has researched or knows about the sport. Too often it seems like people who localize sports manga/anime get terminology or how people say it wrong/awkward too many times.

Won't be happy until someone tells our protagonist that he's not a 'genius forward' he's a trequartista

It's decent though. Liked the youth coach outright saying 'yeah we already scouted you and know everything about you before you came, almost all of you will be going home because you're not good enough but try to have fun'. Very accurate

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fundamentally, maybe anime isn’t made in accordance with American cultural sensitivities

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Namtab posted:

Maybe there’s people in the world who aren’t American

hosed up if true

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

This explains so much.....

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Namtab posted:

Fundamentally, maybe anime isn’t made in accordance with American cultural sensitivities

That's completely fine, but the response to someone pointing out that perspective shouldn't be to speciously deny that those cultural sensitivities even exist. Also, if people don't want to endlessly have the slavery conversation, I personally suggest they stop engaging with it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VtzsBWUJt0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where is Madlax golf streaming?

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
anyone want to talk about the cool rabbit that the bar owner was holding in the last episode of kongming

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beginning to think maybe Raccoon Girl slavery is good now.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Where is Madlax golf streaming?

crunchyroll

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Arist posted:

That's completely fine, but the response to someone pointing out that perspective shouldn't be to speciously deny that those cultural sensitivities even exist. Also, if people don't want to endlessly have the slavery conversation, I personally suggest they stop engaging with it.

Nobody’s pretending that the sensitivities don’t exist, just that we aren’t talking about media made for Americans. It’s a useless conversation because nobody here thinks slavery is ftw

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Big Leg posted:

anyone want to talk about the cool rabbit that the bar owner was holding in the last episode of kongming

that actually had me thinking way to hard to try and figure out if it was a metaphor and for what
it was probably just a rabbit wasnt it

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Shikimori is getting pretty hard to watch because the guy is so useless and annoying and 2 episodes in its already running pretty thin so hopefully something changes by the next episode

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There are people in Japan who suffer immense discrimination on the basis of their ancestry, people who worked in certain professions like morticians, I'm not sure how comparable that is though.

I only read the first couple of chapters of the shield hero manga, my initial impression was it was *probably* meant *initially* to be this definitely seen as morally questionable thing. Having been ostracized from the other adventurers the SH mc decided to go gently caress it and do "whatever it takes" to be a successful adventurer morals and ethics be damned; along the lines of the revenge arc of the Count of Monte Cristo, but with his outlook gradually softening as he regains his trust in humanity, but the impression from what I've heard is that this derails very quickly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
everyone will watch uta-kata

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raenir Salazar posted:

There are people in Japan who suffer immense discrimination on the basis of their ancestry, people who worked in certain professions like morticians, I'm not sure how comparable that is though.

I only read the first couple of chapters of the shield hero manga, my initial impression was it was *probably* meant *initially* to be this definitely seen as morally questionable thing. Having been ostracized from the other adventurers the SH mc decided to go gently caress it and do "whatever it takes" to be a successful adventurer morals and ethics be damned; along the lines of the revenge arc of the Count of Monte Cristo, but with his outlook gradually softening as he regains his trust in humanity, but the impression from what I've heard is that this derails very quickly.

Dude, spoilers.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Namtab posted:

Nobody’s pretending that the sensitivities don’t exist, just that we aren’t talking about media made for Americans. It’s a useless conversation because nobody here thinks slavery is ftw

Aren't a lot of these shows made because they're popular in the west though. Shield Hero is specifically a CR co-production, isn't it?