Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

six lane stroad with no turn lanes, wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

six lane stroad with no turn lanes, wonderful.

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

ive thought a lot about throwing my car on getaround. I do live in an airport city and I know car rental places cant get their hands on enough cars. Would be interested to hear if anyone had luck with the platform
well if you actually hate your car and want it to get obliterated, do it. or if you're already a smoker adn don't care about it coming back smelling like rank cig smoke

i wouldn't do it. 'sharing economy' poo poo is dogshit

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I wish I had a catalog of all the high engineering euphemisms for making an area slightly more like a living hell.

"Improvement project" would be high on the list

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ikanreed posted:

I wish I had a catalog of all the high engineering euphemisms for making an area slightly more like a living hell.

"Improvement project" would be high on the list

public-private partnership
investment fund
redevelopment incentives
new urbanism

mystes
May 31, 2006

Urban renewal

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

remediation program
remediation grant

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

green living community
arts district
reutilization
property rightsizing

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

if stroads were inefficient, ugly as sin, loud, smelly, dangerous, slow, and devastating to the environment... yet cheap and low effort i would understand. unfortunately they are also unbelievably expensive and labor/resource intensive to build, so wtf. we are going out of our way wasting all our money to make something that is deadly garbage that no one likes.

some awful things make sense, for example plastic. its super cheap and useful for a broad range of things so i understand that people would be fine just letting future generation deal with the consequences while they reap the benefits in the present. roads though.. what are the benefits?? they are stupid and bad from the moment they are built. what the hell is wrong with all these people hell bent on spending billions to build more car poo poo. have they never been in traffic and thought, wow this poo poo sucks and makes me want to die??? god dammit for the love of god please stop building car infrastructure

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Norton posted:

if stroads were inefficient, ugly as sin, loud, smelly, dangerous, slow, and devastating to the environment... yet cheap and low effort i would understand. unfortunately they are also unbelievably expensive and labor/resource intensive to build, so wtf. we are going out of our way wasting all our money to make something that is deadly garbage that no one likes.

some awful things make sense, for example plastic. its super cheap and useful for a broad range of things so i understand that people would be fine just letting future generation deal with the consequences while they reap the benefits in the present. roads though.. what are the benefits?? they are stupid and bad from the moment they are built. what the hell is wrong with all these people hell bent on spending billions to build more car poo poo. have they never been in traffic and thought, wow this poo poo sucks and makes me want to die??? god dammit for the love of god please stop building car infrastructure

car brain. no other conception of development. the point of capitalism is to be inefficient, destructive, and wasteful. implacable hatred for anyone not in a car, walking or bicycling is supposed to be a punishment.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Norton posted:

god dammit for the love of god please stop building car infrastructure

:hmmyes:

We have heard your concerns, and have determined that the best course of action is to replace you with a car.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Not a single pedestrian crossing in sight lol. Not that anyone needs to cross the road to get from the like, air conditioner store to the lumbar yard or whatever.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

mystes posted:

A woman in Georgia hit and killed a 17-year-old on a bike and, she was visibly intoxicated so the cops gave her a blood test (which showed that she had gabapentin, benzodiazepines, diazepam, meclizine, and methamphetamine in her system) and they charged her with a DUI, but they STILL blamed the 17-year-old for being hit and refused to charge the driver for that.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2022/0...arly-two-years/

gently caress cars.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

leftist heap posted:

Not a single pedestrian crossing in sight lol. Not that anyone needs to cross the road to get from the like, air conditioner store to the lumbar yard or whatever.

they can drive there

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cat Puke posted:

gently caress cars.

Also Georgia.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mystes posted:

A woman in Georgia hit and killed a 17-year-old on a bike and, she was visibly intoxicated so the cops gave her a blood test (which showed that she had gabapentin, benzodiazepines, diazepam, meclizine, and methamphetamine in her system) and they charged her with a DUI, but they STILL blamed the 17-year-old for being hit and refused to charge the driver for that.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2022/0...arly-two-years/

This happened in Winder. Winder's claim to fame is that a bunch of Cops episodes were filmed there because it used to be the meth capital of Georgia.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
here's a banger to start your Sunday:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10722395/New-Jersey-road-rage-driver-ran-woman-THREE-TIMES-obsessed-Grand-Theft-Auto.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecBb8obI83Q

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

That there is attempted murder

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

holy gently caress

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

look at the size of those loving houses lol

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

actionjackson posted:

look at the size of those loving houses lol

AnimeIsTrash posted:

they can drive there

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

like a crocodile on land. you might not take these beasts seriously enough, but they will easily kill you

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Interesting that the article goes with a violent videogame angle rather than trying to grapple with automotive violence as its own phenomenon

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
If there is no auto, they will just grand theft something else

It’s uniquely American to slap felony on carjacking, surprised they didn’t just lazily append punishment for horse thieves onto carjackers

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/DaddyWarpig/status/1515334815964282884?t=4Wp_Za6RGjncV5JR0yI0-Q&s=19

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
lol owned

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Love that that hideous place could be anywhere in the USA or Canada, god what a lovely continent. Maybe mexico is cool idk never been there

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lol "You have to!"

I hate everything about this except the car destruction

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hell yeah!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol that this is literally what you have to do in the US before the police start taking running over a pedestrian seriously

mystes has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Apr 17, 2022

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

real shame the occupant survived tho

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

wow

mystes
May 31, 2006

They're already removing the advisory bike lanes they installed on that one street in san diego lol

This guy has a video that's pretty good about them, also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeynqnirofE

Amusingly, he literally ended up in the news (at 6:40) because he just tried riding his scooter in the lanes and they thought he was a surveyor or something. He also said that it felt fine actually using them.

(He makes videos about different road related stuff but I keep waiting for him to crack ping about american stroads because it seems like he almost gets it but he's not quite there yet or something)

mystes has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Apr 17, 2022

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/reckless/status/1515777389166485514
:killdozer:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

my only solace in knowing this exists is that at least some of the moms will zap themselves on the handles by accident

mystes
May 31, 2006

In 10 years that's just going to be the standard base model

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mystes posted:

They're already removing the advisory bike lanes they installed on that one street in san diego lol

This guy has a video that's pretty good about them, also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeynqnirofE

Amusingly, he literally ended up in the news (at 6:40) because he just tried riding his scooter in the lanes and they thought he was a surveyor or something. He also said that it felt fine actually using them.

(He makes videos about different road related stuff but I keep waiting for him to crack ping about american stroads because it seems like he almost gets it but he's not quite there yet or something)

At the start of this video he says "a narrow neighborhood street like this doesn't have room for bike lanes." Jesus man, it's a huge street. If you have room for on-street parking on both sides, there's room for bike lanes.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cool beans. i am going to key your fugly insecurity box

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Folks, I'm starting to think there's something very wrong with American society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008