Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not that plugged into the whole emo rock scene, but everyone who is seems to have a story about Jared Leto being a creeper to girls in their teens, going back to 2005/2006 era that I'm aware of. Even here in Australia it's a semi-open secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

well why not posted:

I'm not that plugged into the whole emo rock scene, but everyone who is seems to have a story about Jared Leto being a creeper to girls in their teens, going back to 2005/2006 era that I'm aware of. Even here in Australia it's a semi-open secret.

Well yes, Leto is in a band.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Worse than that; an emo band.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's something that's nearly impossible to disbelieve, nearly every man who's ever picked up a guitar did so to sleep with questionably legal women, that goes quadruple for pop punk and emo and whatever.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's a good chance that there have been people who went to the police with credible allegations and were ignored. I posted about the Jimmy Saville documentary yesterday. For decades, people were trying to report him to the police in various jurisdictions but none of them listened and in some cases the police went out of their way to protect him. The documentary noted that social media was basically the one place where victims could openly have their voices heard and how the mainstream media went out of their way to discredit even the people on social media.

Sure, but Saville was his own special case and his cosying up to local police wherever he went and his attachments to powerful people (which was clearly all part of his deal) made him somewhat of a unique case in this regard. It's just as likely that no one at all has gone to the police about Leto.

The police are useless, sure, but with figures like Leto there's a lot of hot air where everyone knows everything without actually knowing anything. In that regard, it's easy to see why he keeps getting work because at this point it feels like it's just been rendered into a meme. Without anything solid, like a first person account, it's going to stay that way.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/ZeroSuitCamus/status/1511104896623431684

https://twitter.com/ChelseaJulian/status/1511013034809958402

https://twitter.com/CharlyLeVampire/status/1511220317968117762

https://twitter.com/afrenchduke/status/1511029888890769408

https://twitter.com/KaenKazui/status/1511055034087350274

well why not fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 8, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also, a couple people said "it's just people on Twitter saying it" and I don't think they were trying to say it wasn't true, but one of the "people on Twitter" saying it is a loving New York Post article.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
zerosuitcamus might be the best username i've ever seen

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

moonmazed posted:

zerosuitcamus might be the best username i've ever seen

Way to overlook her other name.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The Jimmy Saville documentary is bad. His abuse isn’t really touched on in the first part. The connections to power and how they enabled him are pretty much glossed over. “Oh yeah, the local police supported him” and then nothing of it. “His connection with the royals is weird” and then nothing of it.

It’s just 3 hours of looking at his hosed up face and hair.

I wonder how much of it is British libel laws that stop them from speculating further or trying to draw lines. But otherwise, if you’re familiar with the broad strokes of the scandal, then you don’t need to watch this.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is some bullshit and a hand wave to allow some awful poo poo to happen.

As a musician I'm offended lol

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Grendels Dad posted:

Way to overlook her other name.

It's a riff on Claire Denis :discourse:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Boywhiz88 posted:

The Jimmy Saville documentary is bad. His abuse isn’t really touched on in the first part. The connections to power and how they enabled him are pretty much glossed over. “Oh yeah, the local police supported him” and then nothing of it. “His connection with the royals is weird” and then nothing of it.

I wonder how much of it is British libel laws that stop them from speculating further or trying to draw lines. But otherwise, if you’re familiar with the broad strokes of the scandal, then you don’t need to watch this.

Libel laws, and the not 0% chance that the royal family will you have you killed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, it's not great but that's par for the course with a lot of these things. It's particularly infuriating given there's already been a great book on the issue. Even worse that Saville himself talked about his connections to law enforcement a lot so its a weird thing for the doc to gloss over.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah, it's not great but that's par for the course with a lot of these things. It's particularly infuriating given there's already been a great book on the issue. Even worse that Saville himself talked about his connections to law enforcement a lot so its a weird thing for the doc to gloss over.

Probably because getting too info law enforcement actively enabling pedophilia is also probably bad for your health.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Skwirl posted:

Also, a couple people said "it's just people on Twitter saying it" and I don't think they were trying to say it wasn't true, but one of the "people on Twitter" saying it is a loving New York Post article.

The New York Post is probably less accurate than Twitter at this point

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Boywhiz88 posted:

Well Thatcher's dead so they could definitely have talked about how being personal friends with the Iron Lady protected him if they wanted to.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Well Thatcher's dead so they could definitely have talked about how being personal friends with the Iron Lady protected him if they wanted to.

It’s lightly touched upon but not much more than “they were pretty chummy! And she requested he be knighted a bunch! But nothing else here! Nope, nothing to talk about at all”

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

There's no need to throw out conspiracies about Leto when it's not that hard to decipher: forum posts and whisper networks aren't allegations. Someone on Twitter saying 'this happened to a person I know' isn't really an allegation. Until someone is willing to say something, all you're going to see are the same variations of 'he likes to hit on 18 year olds' that imply a lot but say nothing.

*give or take four years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

do they have heirs? theyre both so weird and hosed up i hope not) but that would mean some even weirder cousin is running the estate to get money from lawsuits

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

do they have heirs? theyre both so weird and hosed up i hope not) but that would mean some even weirder cousin is running the estate to get money from lawsuits

Margaret and Denis Thatcher had twins, both of which are still alive. The son, Mark Thatcher, has even involved in some super shady business, up to and including help fund a coup attempt in Equatorial Guinea.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Carthag Tuek posted:

Legally, you cannot slander the dead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Jared Leot has his own weird cult called Echelon.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

:stare: Jared Leto at an "all ages show".

Probably the only type of show 30STM plays

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Frank Langella has been fired from The Fall of the House of Usher after investigation into complaints of sexual harassment.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadli...1235001883/amp/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

Not to sound like I'm endorsing the man, but I don't think Jim Jones was ever accused of using his cult for sexual gratification.

This was like the first thing Jim Jones did when he founded the People's Temple, fyi.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/molcranenewman/status/1514325961889746953?s=20&t=FlyyUx6OLcca4RvKKFQlzA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gosh why don't more victims come out when harassed. I can't imagine.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/rothman_frank/status/1514422715972730886?s=21&t=eKfOfjNN5gAhwrFDa1gOdg

excellent attorney work, what a great dude

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/ew/status/1514684941099020292?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jesus, he turned 20 in 1988, so I wonder if he was copying behavior he'd seen from adults as a child actor? Which absolutely doesn't excuse it, but makes you wonder what the hell was happening on the set of Diff'rent Strokes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

That article more than buries the lede, which is that Coleman attempted to rape Molly Shannon, with help from their agent.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 16, 2022

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

There's a clip of her on Conan in 1996 telling the story to raucous laughter. She acts it out and everything. I remember stumbling upon it a few months ago and being like... what...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj4GPwlpmbc

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

emo-ignorance posted:

There's a clip of her on Conan in 1996 telling the story to raucous laughter. She acts it out and everything. I remember stumbling upon it a few months ago and being like... what...

If you stick around to the end of the clip you'll hear Conan promo the upcoming SNL host Kevin Spacey

It made me chuckle

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

emo-ignorance posted:

:stare:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Preface: thanks for the context UK goons

The Savile documentary felt good on the surface because it was mostly interviews with British people about how his actions effected victims and the horror of him duping everyone. From the US I was thinking "god drat, what if Mr. Rogers was revealed to be evil?". I watched clips of him being an evasive speedhead and joking about "what if I really WAS that evil, huh?". A few times you could credibly say his mask slipped (instant change of behavior or going dead-eyed psycho when he thought the camera was off) or he responded so outside the norm that interviewers could tell something was wrong (asking why Jimmy had never had one week of human love in his life and him sheepishly responding to the floor). Maybe those actually were slips and an interesting look at a psychopath making mistakes.

But like QAnon, all the horrifying conclusions were super easy to reach and more about you feeling clever than uncovering anything. It makes no sense why master-of-lawsuits Savile would even allow the show to air on BBC. And then Goons and youtube comments pointed out that no, while adults couldn't prove anything they still knew he was a sick gently caress and forbade kids from being near him. Comedians made "Norm Macdonald vs Michael Jackson on SNL" level jokes on the BBC for years. And then the loving royals cover for him?

I don't really know anything but it made more sense when someone said "Savile was a procurer/pimp for actually powerful pedophiles". Is this statement on-track (understanding we'll never have proof):
"Jimmy Saville was intentionally pedophilic on TV to the extent that nothing was provable but if he went down all the attention could be directed at him"

People saying he tricked everyone, that Thatcher was a fool to knight him, that those interviewers got close but never pierced the veil. You guys just pointed out that they could not have been unaware of his crimes, and that the real story here is why every police precinct and level of state media prevented people from stopping him. I'm interested in a book or video about the people behind this situation and of course understand if that can't exist with today's libel laws and police threats.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Part of it is back then they didn't really think it was that bad.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It also helps that every big name in the media and politics in the UK went to the same schools, the same universities and regularly meet up at the same parties. Its a small club and if you're not in it then you're fair game.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

Part of it is back then they didn't really think it was that bad.

If you're talking about the Conan thing then yeah I get that much. But it's still really weird seeing people laugh at that story. She's there making it kind of silly but you can tell she's not okay. But people are cracking up because not only can they not read that body language and certain cues they just don't take it seriously because her assailant is a small man. The whole thing is pretty gross. It also highlights the overall problem that poo poo like this has been known about a lot of people in the entertainment industry either inside of it or publicly and it's only now that people are even starting to take any of it seriously.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Gorn Myson posted:

It also helps that every big name in the media and politics in the UK went to the same schools, the same universities and regularly meet up at the same parties. Its a small club and if you're not in it then you're fair game.

It's become increasingly obvious in recent years that England is basically a paedophile ring with a flag.