Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sweevo posted:

Tbh I think actors at a certain level are just glad for the work. Those fundie projects that a lot of lower-tier stars end up in reportedly pay well for what they are.

Yeah, they pay big bucks for low tier recognizable mainstream talent. It's a way of trying to legitimize themselves and their movie. "See, we got the guy, from the thing you watched. We're a real movie!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

A lot of right wing media is put out at a loss for propaganda purpose so they tend to not care what kind of money they throw around.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Robert Loggia played the devil in that Christian horror movie about a guy who kidnaps women trying to get abortions and forces them to give birth (he is the hero of the movie). Loggia said later that he had no idea what he was filming, as they only gave him his scenes and filmed all of them in a few hours. It’s the Cameron Mitchell/latter-day Bruce Willis method.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC a similar thing happened with a wacko science documentary where they told everyone it was for something else and then edited all the interviews to make it seem like the scientists were agreeing with the filmmakers.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC a similar thing happened with a wacko science documentary where they told everyone it was for something else and then edited all the interviews to make it seem like the scientists were agreeing with the filmmakers.

That happened with a geocentrist "documentary", at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icwDF8wRgF4

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In Laurence Krauss’ case they probably said it was the entrance fee to the next Epstein party.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Robert Loggia played the devil in that Christian horror movie about a guy who kidnaps women trying to get abortions and forces them to give birth (he is the hero of the movie). Loggia said later that he had no idea what he was filming, as they only gave him his scenes and filmed all of them in a few hours. It’s the Cameron Mitchell/latter-day Bruce Willis method.

Wasn't the twist in that one that they were all actually dead and in Hell for being abortionists and Robert Loggia was The Devil?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I believe that the women who stop fighting and accept the idea of having babies while imprisoned in a dungeon are released into heaven, while the harlots who refuse are condemned to the punishment of reliving the experience of pregnancy and birth for eternity, as would the souls of their innocent fetuses, presumably. The women sent to heaven never address the question of whether their dead fetuses go with them or what the afterlife is like for a ghost fetus without a brain or consciousness of any kind. Kind of an incoherent message from people who want you to think they value children.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The sidney one! It's a classic.

edit: I remembered you can get avatar permalinks by changing the url of the current one so here's its final resting place haha.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Apr 16, 2022

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

sweet geek swag posted:

Yeah, they pay big bucks for low tier recognizable mainstream talent. It's a way of trying to legitimize themselves and their movie. "See, we got the guy, from the thing you watched. We're a real movie!"

it's not just weird evangelical movies, either. it's significantly easier to get distribution for an indie film if you nail down a name that is in any way recognizable. i've worked on a couple (not very good) movies that blew half their budget on a single actor for that exact reason.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sweevo posted:

Tbh I think actors at a certain level are just glad for the work. Those fundie projects that a lot of lower-tier stars end up in reportedly pay well for what they are.

If somebody's willing to do a christian movie for paycheck reasons (or christian reasons) it says a lot about their character.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

rodbeard posted:

A lot of right wing media is put out at a loss for propaganda purpose so they tend to not care what kind of money they throw around.

Hanging out with my ex's friends I found out about sexy bible movies. That really skeeved me out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Hanging out with my ex's friends I found out about sexy bible movies. That really skeeved me out.

I know what you’re talking about. I hated watching all those sexy Bible movies. Each one was pure torture. Total trash.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

oldpainless posted:

I know what you’re talking about. I hated watching all those sexy Bible movies. Each one was pure torture. Total trash.

could you post some titles of those movies? So I know which ones to avoid.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Grillfiend posted:

could you post some titles of those movies? So I know which ones to avoid.

the passion of the Christ has like an hour of a hot dude getting nailed, lots of bdsm whip play too

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

oldpainless posted:

I guess my anecdote needs some context, which I will not provide you with.

You're welcome.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Bashin’ of the christ

The ten cum-andments

40 lays and 40 shites (on a glass coffee table)

Jesus of jizz-areth

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I guess my anecdote needs some context, which I will not provide you with.

You're welcome.

Just like the lord would have done. You were clearly paying attention when you watched em!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CaptainViolence posted:

it's not just weird evangelical movies, either. it's significantly easier to get distribution for an indie film if you nail down a name that is in any way recognizable. i've worked on a couple (not very good) movies that blew half their budget on a single actor for that exact reason.

Think Jennifer Aniston in Office Space.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Think Jennifer Aniston in Office Space.

No, she was at the height of her fame in Office Space. Office Space was a case of an actor doing an indie film for indie cred so they can be taken seriously as an actor.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

sweet geek swag posted:

No, she was at the height of her fame in Office Space. Office Space was a case of an actor doing an indie film for indie cred so they can be taken seriously as an actor.

Right but they got her on the film so she could market it as Jennifer Aniston is in this film and she is in what? 15 minutes of the whole film?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

didn't she also want to work on a Mike Judge project really badly?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aces High posted:

didn't she also want to work on a Mike Judge project really badly?

It was serendipitous pairing of FOX wanting an a-list actor in the wake of Good Will Hunting and Aniston reading the script and liking it for being a departure from her typical fare.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Right but they got her on the film so she could market it as Jennifer Aniston is in this film and she is in what? 15 minutes of the whole film?

She's not the most important character, no, but the point is that paying big money for an A lister to have a small role in your movie is entirely different than spending big money for someone who is more niche. A better example of this in Office Space is Gary Cole, who is exactly the level of fame and success that I would expect to see in some of these marginal productions. Obviously Office Space itself was hardly marginal. It was made by Mike Judge and in addition to Jennifer Aniston had Stephen Root and John C. McGinley.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don't really think it's fair to refer to the latter-day Bruce Willis in that context. We've been dissing him for acting like he didn't care for a few years now, but it turns out that he was working way past the point where he should have stopped. He did not age well. :(

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sweet geek swag posted:

She's not the most important character, no, but the point is that paying big money for an A lister to have a small role in your movie is entirely different than spending big money for someone who is more niche. A better example of this in Office Space is Gary Cole, who is exactly the level of fame and success that I would expect to see in some of these marginal productions. Obviously Office Space itself was hardly marginal. It was made by Mike Judge and in addition to Jennifer Aniston had Stephen Root and John C. McGinley.

Who do you think Stephen Root and John C McGinley we're in 1998?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jedit posted:

I don't really think it's fair to refer to the latter-day Bruce Willis in that context. We've been dissing him for acting like he didn't care for a few years now, but it turns out that he was working way past the point where he should have stopped. He did not age well. :(

RLM and noted authorities Cum Town have been sending good but non-declarative vibes in the direction of his estate.

Remember him in Twelve Monkeys.

Because he can't.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Stephen Root was a main cast member on the popular NewsRadio, and John C. McGinley was a "name" from his work in Platoon, Point Blank, and Wall Street. This was like five minutes of looking at Wikipedia, come on.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Toshimo posted:

I'm pretty sure they were Stephen Root and John C McGinley in 1998. What a weird question.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Arivia posted:

Stephen Root was a main cast member on the popular NewsRadio, and John C. McGinley was a "name" from his work in Platoon, Point Blank, and Wall Street. This was like five minutes of looking at Wikipedia, come on.

newsradio was amazing but it had p crappy ratings for a network sitcom

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Lmao yeah me and all the kids on the playground were talking about Stephen Root and his hit role on News Radio.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Arivia posted:

And out of all of those (just gonna mix it up)

Animal Mother

The guy who was a sicko (and well casted) in Platoon

The villain you love to hate in Angel.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Stephen Root has never been a notable name to a wide audience. He is a legend among people who know the names of character actors.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Lmao yeah me and all the kids on the playground were talking about Stephen Root and his hit role on News Radio.

Kids on the playground is usually a mutually exclusive group with large media producers. I understand how you might get them confused, what with them being at about the same level of intellect and taste.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Newsradio is still relevant because Jon Lovitz bounced Andy DIck's head off of a bar rail for suggesting that it was funny to get Phil Hartmann's wife on drugs which led to her murder/suicide.

Oh, wow that was convoluted.

Maybe it's funnier to say that Joe Rogan went from being a low rent Seanbaby to a Goebbels lite, just asking the questions.

For real comedy value imagine me having this conversation with a cab driver and trying to cite evidence from my phone.

That definitely didn't happen Wednesday.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah your right I'm sure not adults watched friends in 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The villain you love to hate in Angel.

Who was that?