Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Yeah or can't you make one yourself? Think there should be a default controller template right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I did try the most popular community one and it didn't work for me either. Psychonauts supports controller. When I fire it up on PC it detects the controller and just works. When I run it on Deck it does not detect a controller and defaults to kb+m. Creating a custom layout to map to the kb+m controls seems crazy to me. I would expect it just work.

[Edit] I tried another layout and it worked a little better, though I disagree with the mappings. I guess I'll have to make my own...

moosferatu fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 15, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

moosferatu posted:

I did try the most popular community one and it didn't work for me either. Psychonauts supports controller. When I fire it up on PC it detects the controller and just works. When I run it on Deck it does not detect a controller and defaults to kb+m. Creating a custom layout to map to the kb+m controls seems crazy to me. I would expect it just work.

I don't have psychonauts, so I can't verify myself, but some games might need you to go into the in-game settings menu and turn on gamepad. Some older games have a toggle for gamepad support that might not get auto turned on for whatever reason.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

moosferatu posted:

Googling shows Psychonauts itself has a lot of issues with controllers that aren't xinput over the years, might want to see some of the solutions that worked for people.

One person says after they get past some cutscenes, save, and reload it reads it correctly after: https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePassPC/comments/nbdm9m/psychonauts_input_issues/h8hkp38/

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

moosferatu posted:

I feel like a dummy, but I can't figure out how to play Psychonauts on this thing. It defaults to kb+m bindings instead of controller, and I can't figure out how to change this. Any ideas?

Psychonauts has a very peculiar issue with proton specifically that I have yet to run into with any other game. Patch 1.04 added native xinput support, but when loading the game on Steam Deck, you have to go into the game's settings menu, controls, and tap on default controls. Then the controls work fine without any custom or community bindings. Even more frustrating, you must do this every time you launch the game.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Bloodplay it again posted:

Psychonauts has a very peculiar issue with proton specifically that I have yet to run into with any other game. Patch 1.04 added native xinput support, but when loading the game on Steam Deck, you have to go into the game's settings menu, controls, and tap on default controls. Then the controls work fine without any custom or community bindings. Even more frustrating, you must do this every time you launch the game.

Thanks! I was finally able to get it to work. I had to switch to Proton Experimental and the click Options -> Controls -> Bindings -> Defaults. Nothing visibly changes, all of the images on screen are still for kb, but the default controller controls now work. Very odd.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

moosferatu posted:

Thanks! I was finally able to get it to work. I had to switch to Proton Experimental and the click Options -> Controls -> Bindings -> Defaults. Nothing visibly changes, all of the images on screen are still for kb, but the default controller controls now work. Very odd.

I downloaded it again to see if I could help figure out a way to get controller prompts to show. All I managed to do was break input entirely so that I couldn't get past the title screen. I even checked game files to make sure the controllerprefs ini and game profile ini matched my desktop's inis because it is showing the prompts correctly. No dice. A reinstall fixed the control issues but I'm back to keyboard UI.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Mine arrived while I was sleeping this morning. Delivery didn't even wake up my dog! Glad it didn't grow wings while I slept.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Is the Steam Deck installing the native Linux version of Psychonauts or the Windows version?

The Linux version has controller support before the Windows version IIRC, but it came before SDL GamePad and treats it as a joystick with weird button and axis names.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

pseudorandom name posted:

Is the Steam Deck installing the native Linux version of Psychonauts or the Windows version?

It's the windows version, or at least I'm pretty sure it is. I didn't see it redownload the game when I forced it to use Proton Experimental

moosferatu fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 15, 2022

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cheap Trick posted:

My prediction is that the Steam Deck won't be sold in Austraila until next year.

My prediction is that the steam deck 1.0 will come out in australia when steam deck 3 is out everywhere else

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

tithin posted:

My prediction is that the steam deck 1.0 will come out in australia when steam deck 3 is out everywhere else

And it'll still be a deathmatch between it and Playstation 5 stock :australia:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone disappointed in their purchase after spending some time with it?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Only because I'm a little unmotivated to do all the tinkering to get emulation working. A big reason I wanted it was because I saw this as a top of the line emulator with a great screen, and from all counts it s. Even with Retro Game Corps newest guide on Emulation Station I still can't get PS1 games to load, but got Gamecube and some others, and it's still a little too new to me to be easy to set up, EG I got Gamecube working but couldn't figure out any hotkeys for quick save/load or anything like that and accidentally closed a game after like 20 minutes of playing and lost all progress.
Currently it's been an Elden Ring on the couch machine and I have LOVED it for that, and I definitely know I'll be using it for a long time for games I can play on the couch while my spouse watches TV

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DoubleT2172 posted:

Currently it's been an Elden Ring on the couch machine and I have LOVED it for that, and I definitely know I'll be using it for a long time for games I can play on the couch while my spouse watches TV

What's the fps?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

What's the fps?

Couldn't even tell you because I don't check. Only had super noticeable slowdown a handful of times and I'm 50 hours in on only the Deck

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

Not remotely, but I suspect your take on it is going to be affected in large part by "how much of your library can you play on it with a halfway decent initial configuration"

I don't expect I'll be playing much X4 on this, Elite Dangerous had some poor sod on Reddit jumping through a lot of hoops for internet cred of being "the first" and a number of other things on my backlog have the do-not-enter of doom, but No Man's Sky, Elden Ring and Valheim all worked out of the box, Retroarch in general was fairly painless to get going and Minecraft needed not-nearly-as-many-hoops-as-I-was-expecting to get to a bedrock-control-adjacent-but-in-Java state

At this point I'm basically considering it to be "The Switch for indie games without the Switch tax and being able to play randomizers without worrying about a console ban" and anything else that runs on it is just gravy, although "a hardware level Sleep that works on PC games" is probably going to spoil me very, very quickly

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Rinkles posted:

What's the fps?

A decently stable 30

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

DoubleT2172 posted:

Only because I'm a little unmotivated to do all the tinkering to get emulation working. A big reason I wanted it was because I saw this as a top of the line emulator with a great screen, and from all counts it s. Even with Retro Game Corps newest guide on Emulation Station I still can't get PS1 games to load, but got Gamecube and some others, and it's still a little too new to me to be easy to set up, EG I got Gamecube working but couldn't figure out any hotkeys for quick save/load or anything like that and accidentally closed a game after like 20 minutes of playing and lost all progress.

Have you tried EmuDeck?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I haven't had the energy to gently caress with any of the big aggregate programs like EmuDeck, I don't quite understand what the point must be against just downloading the flatpak for whatever emulator you want and playing your ROMs or ISOs that way

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Also Retroarch is on Steam and has put a lot of effort into making it work flawlessly on the deck as well, it's played everything I've thrown at it (although it lacks a PS2 core).

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I haven't had the energy to gently caress with any of the big aggregate programs like EmuDeck, I don't quite understand what the point must be against just downloading the flatpak for whatever emulator you want and playing your ROMs or ISOs that way

For people who don't want to mess about with config. It does a pretty good job of explaining why you would want to use it on its website.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

.Ataraxia. posted:

Have you tried EmuDeck?

That's exactly what I meant oops. I installed all the emulators, opened them once, got emudeck, it shows the games on steam but when I try to boot any PS1 game it tries to load and kicks back to the steam page

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

DoubleT2172 posted:

That's exactly what I meant oops. I installed all the emulators, opened them once, got emudeck, it shows the games on steam but when I try to boot any PS1 game it tries to load and kicks back to the steam page

Sorry, I don't know why that's happening. EmuDeck should have downloaded and installed all the emulators for you.

Edit: I guess only the new version of EmuDeck installs the emulators for you.

.Ataraxia. fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 16, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Less Fat Luke posted:

Also Retroarch is on Steam and has put a lot of effort into making it work flawlessly on the deck as well, it's played everything I've thrown at it (although it lacks a PS2 core).

You can download the main build of RetroArch, download all of the Cores and just drag them from the desktop install location to the Steam install locations and they'll work just fine. It's been that way for Windoes since release. However, of there is a core update I think you'll have to repeat the process.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

sigher posted:

You can download the main build of RetroArch, download all of the Cores and just drag them from the desktop install location to the Steam install locations and they'll work just fine. It's been that way for Windoes since release. However, of there is a core updateI think you'll have to repeat the process.

The Steam version now has an internal downloader for the cores, it seems pretty seamless!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The problem with the Steam release is that Cores are being released in a drip feed, because each ones has to get verified by Valve and for some reason they're just sitting on poo poo. That's why most Cores are missing o. The Steam release. I do the know if the Steam release will update the Cores it doesn't official have on Steam.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm not disappointed at all, though it's definitely not perfect. The next revision needs to be more portable and battery efficient for sure. For me, it's definitely a system for gaming at home. Due to its size, cost, and rarity I'm reluctant to travel with it. I could imagine it being great for bringing along to play in hotel rooms, but I don't think it's ideal for planes and trains.

The software is getting better and better.

For the price and compared to the competition (does it really have any competition?) it's awesome. Plus I can imagine using it as a lightweight PC or emulation station plugged into a dock when it's replaced by something sleeker.

DoubleT2172 posted:

Does it need PS1 BIOS?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

With the emulator talk, how are y'all doing cloud saves of save files/states for emulated games?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
For what it's worth, the people behind Retroarch are so abusive that they played a part in Byuu/Near's suicide, and caused the Duckstation dev to temporarily abandon the project. If that sort of thing bothers you I'd suggest using an alternative. Or going with standalone emulators if possible, since they tend to run better (in Windows at least).

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

sigher posted:

The problem with the Steam release is that Cores are being released in a drip feed, because each ones has to get verified by Valve and for some reason they're just sitting on poo poo. That's why most Cores are missing o. The Steam release. I do the know if the Steam release will update the Cores it doesn't official have on Steam.
The current version I’m using on the steam deck (from Steam) seems to download the cores now internally and not as Steam DLC. As I mentioned it’s quite seamless and they’re up to date, everything on SNES and PS1 I’ve played has worked great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People need to accept that until battery tech improves somehow, this is likely what you will get or at best minor improvements

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

I'm not disappointed at all, though it's definitely not perfect. The next revision needs to be more portable and battery efficient for sure. For me, it's definitely a system for gaming at home. Due to its size, cost, and rarity I'm reluctant to travel with it. I could imagine it being great for bringing along to play in hotel rooms, but I don't think it's ideal for planes and trains.

It will work fine on planes for me as I've already taken to bringing large external batteries for my switch for the 16-hour flights I regularly do. As for the deck, it really depends on which game you intend on playing. Something like Tales of Arise will drain the battery + external pack quickly, but there are plenty of other games that could easily do 20 hours on the same setup. And it will be fantastic for hotel rooms and the like.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't think the battery is bad at all, but if you're planning on playing something for more than three hours at a time I recommend getting a 65w charger off Amazon so it can charge while you play

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Anyone have any good accessories recs? I’m thinking of looking into rubber caps for the joysticks as they aren’t very grippy.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

calcio posted:

Anyone have any good accessories recs? I’m thinking of looking into rubber caps for the joysticks as they aren’t very grippy.

I got these and they work great so far.

https://www.amazon.com/AceShot-Lizard-Silicone-Precision-Antislip-Controller/dp/B00JQMV3F4

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Rinkles posted:

I'm a little disappointed that I had to turn on dev tools to be able to download games on a 5ghz wifi connection. I don't get why it wouldn't work right out the gate on any wifi, but it's a new console and all so I guess there'll be bugs.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Rinkles posted:

It has allowed me to survive Easter with my in-laws so no.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Guess who has two thumbs and no Steam Deck still, this guy. :smuggo:

So drat jealous of those that got yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch to desktop mode, or at least to bring up the power menu so I don't have to hold down the power button?