Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wanting fan mods to fix an alpha is pretty insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think the last dev diary stated that radicalism is influenced by literate pops. So trying to take significant chunks of European countries is probably a bad idea relative to sphering/puppeting, but a colonial empire in Africa or Southeast Asia is probably more tenable. Now, a little slice of wrong culture/religion high development territory might be okay for a great power if the region is especially productive (Alsace-Lorraine comes to mind).

There's also the option of deliberately going multicultural - non-primary culture pops will only start radicalizing for independence if they're discriminated against. So you might be able to conquer your way across Europe as a multi-ethnic coalition nation where new cultures just get integrated with full rights and freedoms. You'll probably have other political issues to contend with while doing this (especially in the path leading up to it where you'll have to deal with a bunch of angry old racists who don't like having their power diminished), but it does seem like it would make directly controlling a lot of diverse territory viable in theory.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

CharlestheHammer posted:

this is what happens when you actually believe this game is coming out like this summer

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Stairmaster posted:

well hopefully the fans will fix it since the source code got leaked too.
What, why?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Agreed 100%. I'd rather wait for a finished product. Looking at how bad modders are at balance (I'm pretty sure anyone inclined to mod is allergic to the word) I have no faith that anyone trying to "fix" an unfinished alpha will do anything good or right. I trust and believe in Wiz & co.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i dunno why you guys are being so dramatic lol

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Lady Radia posted:

at first i thought this post was a joke. then i realized it was reasonably serious and thought about it. and ultimately this makes me ask, what made you think to ask this question, especially w/r/t what we know about the game

My buddy went full georgist recently and won't stop talking about this stuff so it's just on my mind

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
oh god. im so sorry.

i feel really bad for wiz and his team. having the source code of your passion project leaked potentially years away from release has gotta feel like it robs the wind from your sails.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Agreed 100%. I'd rather wait for a finished product. Looking at how bad modders are at balance (I'm pretty sure anyone inclined to mod is allergic to the word) I have no faith that anyone trying to "fix" an unfinished alpha will do anything good or right. I trust and believe in Wiz & co.

wiz got his start being on paradox's radar with a balance mod lmao

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

i dunno why you guys are being so dramatic lol
I dunno, the most obvious reading of your post was an entitled, "fans will have to fix Paradox's broken game," kind of sentiment. If that's not what you meant, cool, but that's why folks are being "dramatic."

The balance issue you brought up wasn't even the broken part of the beta. The iron/tools part of the game works just fine. The broken stuff is like how the trade interface completely breaks itself, and every country in the world descends into a civil war eventually, often fighting rebel armies with invincible single unit armies that depopulate the whole world, while at the same time slowing everything way down. The world economy ends up pretty fundamentally hosed and impossible to understand, and the interface for trade and the military breaks down until you're playing in a dreamlike world where nothing makes sense and you have no meaningful way to interact with the world outside your country.

So like... probably a bit beyond the scope of modders to fix. You'll need a proper development studio to fix this mess. Fortunately we have one of those already.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Game development is easy, just throw some modders at it nbd :smugdog:

What's that you see? Modifying an existing structure is easier than building from scratch. Huh. Wild.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

why do folks keep calling it a beta, btw? i dont think we have any reasonable way of knowing the state of the build and if it's a feature-frozen state.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

why do folks keep calling it a beta, btw? i dont think we have any reasonable way of knowing the state of the build and if it's a feature-frozen state.

Tongue in cheek, I want to think.

That or call it a questionably sourced demo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Let's see who makes the better finished product, a professional development studio or very obsessed and nationalist nerds.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The source got leaked? Oof.

I'm going to totally understand if the next Dev diary is just "We all took a few days off, here's some pictures I took at the zoo."

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

The meaning of "beta" has kind of shifted from its official meaning in the popular imagination of the internet. A "beta tester" tests and unfinished game, so a "beta" is just an unfinished game, right? I understand that's not technically accurate, but it's a pretty widespread way of using that word.

Also, the illicit file itself is called "Victoria 3 BETA.zip"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the offical meaning of beta means all program features are implemented. technically all the gameplay mechanics are here but they are not tuned.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lady Radia posted:

wiz got his start being on paradox's radar with a balance mod lmao
Every time you reply to me you're a dramatic edgelord that then ignores anyone posting a reasonable response so why am I bothering to respond to you again? Like was stated, the initial response was dramatic so I said my piece. Wiz and Gejnor (both goons) are the only modders for big games that I've seen that have any semblance of knowing, or caring, what balance is. Sorry I said something that applies to 99.9% of modders while also reaffirming my believe in wiz :rolleyes:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 17, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

this thread needs to chill out lol

Stairmaster posted:

the offical meaning of beta means all program features are implemented. technically all the gameplay mechanics are here but they are not tuned.

technically you dont know that, they could still add more features :smug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s Vic3, insanity is part of what makes the fan base.

Lady Radia posted:

i feel really bad for wiz and his team. having the source code of your passion project leaked potentially years away from release has gotta feel like it robs the wind from your sails.

OTOH, the HL2 source being released and that wasn’t that big of a deal? Stupid trivia: Valve and the FBI invited the hacker to Seattle for a “job interview” which was really an attempt to get the hacker from Germany to the US and bypass the extradition process. https://www.wired.com/2008/11/valve-tricked-h/amp

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i havent personally had my source code stolen but something kind of similar happened and it was just kind of an emotional bummer even though it didnt materially impact me

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I like trains & simulated imperialism

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Anbennar Vic 3 mod will be really fun in like 5 years.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

:yeah:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

What’s the etiquette for leaked beta chat? If nothing else, I’m even more excited after playing and seeing the state of the game. Incredible job so far.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

What’s the etiquette for leaked beta chat?

The cat's out of the bag, right? No point pretending otherwise

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's also the option of deliberately going multicultural - non-primary culture pops will only start radicalizing for independence if they're discriminated against. So you might be able to conquer your way across Europe as a multi-ethnic coalition nation where new cultures just get integrated with full rights and freedoms. You'll probably have other political issues to contend with while doing this (especially in the path leading up to it where you'll have to deal with a bunch of angry old racists who don't like having their power diminished), but it does seem like it would make directly controlling a lot of diverse territory viable in theory.

Oh yeah, and I'm looking forward to playing in this style. But I assumed that would cause reactionary backlash/radicalism in and of itself, given the political dispositions of most relevant nations of the era. Going multicultural may very well be less "optimal" from a number_goes_up perspective, but will still be fun to do in and of itself. Or tolerance may be unusually powerful, in which case outright conquest may be the best strategy.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What 19th century music are you most excited for Andreas to cover

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

guidoanselmi posted:

What’s the etiquette for leaked beta chat? If nothing else, I’m even more excited after playing and seeing the state of the game. Incredible job so far.

besides the constant crashes its not that bad, got a couple hours worth of dicking around in it

im not inclined to give anymore unwanted, unstructured feedback, that's one of the more annoying parts of getting your poo poo leaked id imagine

Goast fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 17, 2022

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Captain Oblivious posted:

Game development is easy, just throw some modders at it nbd :smugdog:

Just look at the massive success of Magna Mundi and East Vs. West.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

VostokProgram posted:

What 19th century music are you most excited for Andreas to cover

I very much hope for CK3-style OST. Atmospheric background strings and piano. Symphonic bombastic stuff when a major event happens.

No matter how good the OST is it's a game I will play for hundreds of hours and a single game will probably take more than 10 hours. Even if it's a 3 hour long OST I will hear every song at least 3 times during a single 10 hour playthrough. Vic2 and EU4 OST are great but they're burned into my mind. CK3 approach is much better for this kind of games. I can only recall specific event tunes and it's fine, rest of the time the soundtrack does a great job of transporting me elsewhere.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's kinda fuckin wild that there already are fan mods and patches to fix the leak.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

guidoanselmi posted:

Goast posted:

besides the constant crashes its not that bad, got a couple hours worth of dicking around in it

im not inclined to give anymore unwanted, unstructured feedback, that's one of the more annoying parts of getting your poo poo leaked id imagine

This is me. I'm in love with the structure I'm seeing. I'm really looking forward to the finished product. For HotCode™ it's looking very promising.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kobold industrialist, Kobold Industrialist, summon forth a dragon with our huge pile of LOOT.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Hudson Bay Company is playeable which is incredible to me.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Hudson Bay Company is playeable which is incredible to me.

That North America map is :discourse:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Every time you reply to me you're a dramatic edgelord that then ignores anyone posting a reasonable response so why am I bothering to respond to you again? Like was stated, the initial response was dramatic so I said my piece. Wiz and Gejnor (both goons) are the only modders for big games that I've seen that have any semblance of knowing, or caring, what balance is. Sorry I said something that applies to 99.9% of modders while also reaffirming my believe in wiz :rolleyes:

it is very bizarre being called a dramatic edgelord when you're attacking modders saying they are incapable of balancing things. frankly stunning behavior. self-reflect.

guidoanselmi posted:

just dont link it directly i imagine, we shouldnt pretend it isnt out there or anything. also dont like be doomer about bugs or whatever (not that you were just sayin)

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I feel sorry for Wiz and team, getting your work leaked and criticized when it should go through limited testing must be not a nice experience. This will inevitably delay the whole thing, but who can blame them.

For one thing the whole new set of screenshots going around have increased my interest in the game even more - though to be honest I think the communication from pdx side has been great so far, with a lot of material coming out every week.
There is definitely more insight from the AAR recently posted rather then from videos posted by gamers who don't have idea of what is working but are very ager to comment on the absence of X content in an unfinished product.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

RattiRatto posted:

I feel sorry for Wiz and team, getting your work leaked and criticized when it should go through limited testing must be not a nice experience. This will inevitably delay the whole thing, but who can blame them.

For one thing the whole new set of screenshots going around have increased my interest in the game even more - though to be honest I think the communication from pdx side has been great so far, with a lot of material coming out every week.
There is definitely more insight from the AAR recently posted rather then from videos posted by gamers who don't have idea of what is working but are very ager to comment on the absence of X content in an unfinished product.

The average person has no loving clue how a game can appear completely broken and unplayable until the very last month* before shipping when everything comes together like a beautiful ballet.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Popoto posted:

The average person has no loving clue how a game can appear completely broken and unplayable until the very last month* before shipping when everything comes together like a beautiful ballet.

Which is often the case with software development.
The main difference however being that a software tool can go through early rough iterations with the core components in some shape or form and deemed working, while a game might not pass the "fun bar" until the very end.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i tried to watch the first video leak but the dude was legitimately so stupid and unable to actually discuss mechanics and design ta an early phase i didnt make it more than a minute and a half lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lady Radia posted:

it is very bizarre being called a dramatic edgelord when you're attacking modders saying they are incapable of balancing things. frankly stunning behavior. self-reflect.
Very bizarre that I can make an offhand comment about something and forget one word (I meant to say "most modders") and you jump straight to being an arrogant holier-than-thou prick about it. Its the third time you've specifically done it with one of my posts and its really grating where instead of fostering the conversation you just talk down to me like you're some brilliant paragon of virtue. Self-reflect.