Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also

https://www.retromags.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Rock Band 3 (2010) - can't specifically remember this one but i do enjoy the concept of rock band/guitar hero games, always felt Guitar Hero felt that bit crisper though

I absolutely loved Rock Band 3. Way better than the Guitar Hero games, especially after Harmonix was no longer doing the Guitar Hero games (because they were doing the Rock Band games)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Help Im Alive posted:

The magazine I used to get sometimes was called Nintendo Official Magazine here are some letters from one of the issues I had

History vindicated Debbie

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Also there are gnomes in the best game ever, Wizardry 8. Also elves, for that matter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Figured to give Detroit: Become Human a try. Game had different ideas and decided to be a CTD simulator. It's supposedly related to NVidia GPUs. But given the overwhelming number of positive reviews in face of NVidia making up the majority of GPUs in use per Steam stats, it's gotta be an obscure as gently caress issue. Then again, per Google it ain't that rare.

I can't be assed to track the issue down within the refund window. Only second game ever to refund (next to No Man's Sky). Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finished the main story of Stranger of Paradise today. Enjoyed it a lot, liked its weird twist on FF1 stuff, also felt very bad for Astos, poor guy never thought he'd have friends, then he did and lost them, and it broke him :smith:

For something that looked so much like an absolute trainwreck from its first reveal trailer, Stranger of Paradise is pretty charming and it's extremely clear that it was made with a lot of love. Music's really really good, too, I love all the sometimes-subtle incorporating of musical motifs from other FF games in the levels that reference those games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

History vindicated Debbie

"you've really embarrassed yourself debbie" lmao

Harrow posted:

Finished the main story of Stranger of Paradise today. Enjoyed it a lot, liked its weird twist on FF1 stuff, also felt very bad for Astos, poor guy never thought he'd have friends, then he did and lost them, and it broke him :smith:

For something that looked so much like an absolute trainwreck from its first reveal trailer, Stranger of Paradise is pretty charming and it's extremely clear that it was made with a lot of love. Music's really really good, too, I love all the sometimes-subtle incorporating of musical motifs from other FF games in the levels that reference those games.

This version of the crystal tower theme...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmmwjWnRYgo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"you've really embarrassed yourself debbie" lmao

This version of the crystal tower theme...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmmwjWnRYgo

I also absolutely loved the extremely solemn choral version of the Chaos Shrine theme in the final mission. Surprisingly moving to hear that theme arranged and performed like that, especially in context.

This theme here (linked because spoilers)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 17, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh and this one weaving in the Evil Forest theme from FF9, hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8n6taiyPWI

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
:wtc: when did apex legends become 150gb?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Efficiency is for cowards

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
That's the beauty of GaaS. you buy a game at launch and it's maybe a meager 30gb, you go back to it a year later and suddenly there's 90 extra gigabytes.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's ok to accept your feelings Mary

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
disney terrorists have infiltrated nintendo headquarters and are deleting all the games and characters. they offer to leave one miyamoto game intact, which do you choose.

actually is kind of hard to define what qualifies as a miyamoto game. at some point I think he just gets his name on just about everything they make, not clear how involved "producer" credits are in every case. Metroid Prime I don't much think of as a "miyamoto" game, was surprised to see it mentioned on his wiki page

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 17, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
a producer credit just means he had some sort of supervisory role but how hands on he was in that capacity varies pretty substantially.

with metroid prime the main creative contribution he's attributed with is deciding the game should be in first-person instead of third-person, otherwise it seems like it was just he gave feedback at regular intervals, but with other games he produced he can have had much bigger contributions or even been the creative lead.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Combat Pretzel posted:

Figured to give Detroit: Become Human a try. Game had different ideas and decided to be a CTD simulator. It's supposedly related to NVidia GPUs. But given the overwhelming number of positive reviews in face of NVidia making up the majority of GPUs in use per Steam stats, it's gotta be an obscure as gently caress issue. Then again, per Google it ain't that rare.

I can't be assed to track the issue down within the refund window. Only second game ever to refund (next to No Man's Sky). Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

You're missing out on the funniest video game ever made

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I don't understand how posting fanart of a single Kirby boss makes me a furry newsletter

oh yeah no I didn't mean it like that, i have no idea either

it's like I recognise Blaidd as my lord and future husband and don't consider this furry either because look at him, he's so tall...

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Welp it's been a long journey, i got the first achievement in Dark Souls the day after it came out in Europe - October 8th 2011. I still remember being able to pick up a physical copy in my local town supermarket. I didn't get far back then, it took me just short of a year to ring both the undead bells.

And after that another year and a bit to get to Gwynevere

I've many fond memories of playing dark souls on my 360. Letting a few friends try it for the first time and watching their reaction to the Asylum Demon both before and after getting their weapon, stumbling about in the graveyard and thinking "wow I know they said it was hard but this is something else", playing while my then girlfriend; now wife watched which was a rarity as she often cares little about the games i play. I do remember a lot of frustrations too: dying to queelag dozens of times, being invaded by a fellow Scotsman who killed me and sent a taunting voice message in Anor Londo, all of Blighttown and although I liked the game a lot the frustrations wore me down and not long after the O&S fight I put the game down for years.

I've just blasted through the Remaster on PC in 2 weeks and it's just one of my favourite games of all time, its the sort of game I want to just walk about a 3D model of the world, thankfully theres an app for that and its fascinating to explore the huge world of Lordran and really understand how it all interacts and physically is physically positioned.

There were some bad bits too, I don't know if I'd built up the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith in my mind as they were the 2 areas I'd not visited till the remake but they are such poor areas in comparison to the rest of the game, I didn't know about the massive undead dinosaurs on the bottom level although I do remember getting to Lost Izalith on the 360 version and dying a few times to the Bed of Chaos before giving up. It must have been through the Chaos shortcut as I'd never fought the Firesage Demon or Centipede Demon before.

I'd also never visited the Painted World which is a really cool area and I've still to go to Ash Lake and the DLC but I've kept a copy of my save so I can go back and do those. I kind of want to go and grind some achievements just for completion sake and to say I've done everything the game asks of you but theres still so much Dark Souls/Elden Ring to play. For now I'm just happy to watch some DS1 speed runs and read a bunch of wiki's about the lore which is something I don't normally get drawn into with games.

So yeah, just an absolute solid gold classic and I'm happy to say that after over 10 years I can finally say I've completed the game!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

pray for the 12% that didn't reach the first bonfire

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

rip... they bought a great game and didn’t play it...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Don't @ me ITT

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1515540806341480453

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEhMg6Kpxk8

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I recently beat Dark Souls for the first time as well, and yeah it's great. Had a look at the achievements for the non-remaster PC version, and even less people made it to the first bonfire, but more of those that did rang the bells. I guess it can be explained by the game originally being a Games for Windows Live game (remember that poo poo?), so the people who played the game originally were less likely to play it again, but also were able to get further.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I started listening to a bunch of classic Usher tracks after he started trending, do doing those funny Xbox clips was probably good for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQRzrnH6_HY

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I want to play Bloodborne but I don’t wanna buy a ps4/5.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The first Mario movie ever made, long thought lost, is now up on YouTube in 4k with fansubs

https://twitter.com/femboyfilms/status/1515458557637902340?s=21&t=JdlOtsVM3hbsd-dE-D_YaQ

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 17, 2022

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sponges posted:

Steal one

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My uncle shigeru says BB is coming out on pc soon

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

sponges posted:

i didn't really want to buy a ps4 either but it was a prerequisite in the quest path that ends with buying bloodbourne

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sponges posted:

Imho bloodborne is worth a cheap used PS4. Then again, I’d have said the same thing about Demon’s Souls and a cheap old PS3 but that got remade…

So you should definitely buy a PS4/BB so that we can get a Bloodborne remaster announced! :)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Guys, the Broken Sword games are good. I'm playing through 1 now. I think I might try Monkey Island next, or maybe a modern point and click.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FO3:

I'm in the Rad Racer CEO Offices and I can here faint whispers and faraway laughter and I'm really scared :gonk:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a single-digit number of chapters into Triangle Strategy and I've already made a series of choices that feel completely indefensible, and yet I get the feeling I might feel the same way if I'd made the other choices

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How much salt and/or iron do you have

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Walla posted:

Guys, the Broken Sword games are good. I'm playing through 1 now. I think I might try Monkey Island next, or maybe a modern point and click.

Now that I think about it, I've only ever played the demo for Broken Sword 2. I was at a very impressionable age so this scene is burned into my memory:

The first 3 Monkey Island games are really good. 1 and 2 has remasters with voice acting, but the remastered art-style in 1 is ... not to my liking.

My favourite point and click is probably Day of the Tentacle. There's a remaster for that as well. There's also Discworld 2, which is real good.

edit: just did a search on Gog and Steam, and none of the Discworld games are available?!!

bone emulator fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 17, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Walla posted:

play Full Throttle

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Whizzing Wizard posted:

The first 3 Monkey Island games are really good. 1 and 2 has remasters with voice acting, but the remastered art-style in 1 is ... not to my liking.

For the special edition of 1, you can just use it to compile a build that has the classic graphics and the voice acting on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna read all of Balzac. See you guys in a few years