Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

If a Paladin covers you, can you use the elixir without getting interrupted by damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Barreft posted:

I love the pvp, I just have no idea what I'm doing in CC and the game doesn't bother to tell me so I just kill ppl around the crystal.

I'll YouTube it at some point when I care, but in game itself doesn't explain a thing

The NPC you unlock Crystal Conflict at literally explains everything. Including how Overtime works, if you bother to read the tutorials :v:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Ibblebibble posted:

I did it, I escaped Bronze Hell...

Now, it's time for... Silver Hell...

I was almost out of Silver, two wins away from Gold, when I got on a losing streak that put me way back down to Silver 3. The last three in a row of those all included being KO'd by MCH's random Chain Saw. I took a break and played some Frontlines before going to bed after that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I got to Gold playing WHM and then just got completely stomped there. Like 15 games in a row with only 2-3 wins between them.
So I thought "might as well try out some other classes while I'm stuck at the bottom of the tier anyway" and eventually ended up with Sage, which took me straight from Gold 4 to Platinum with only a single loss, while often having the highest number of kills in my team.
So just like raiding...don't chase the ~optimal~ comps (which seems to be solidly WHM,WAR,SAM,DRG right now) and just play the jobs you're comfortable with :shrug:.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Are there any nonPVP-related rewards, like xp and such, if you do this thing with a class under 90? You guys are making it sound like TF2 but - and I underline this - in FFXIV, and with somewhat fewer people using voicechat to say memes.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nessus posted:

Are there any nonPVP-related rewards, like xp and such, if you do this thing with a class under 90? You guys are making it sound like TF2 but - and I underline this - in FFXIV, and with somewhat fewer people using voicechat to say memes.

Yes, I've seen people level up at the end of matches, so it does award XP.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's not, like, a lot but you can reasonably expect to get a level in an hour if you win as often as you lose.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you're not max level it will give regular XP, yeah. An okay amount, 10%ish for 2-10 minutes of play if you win, half that if you lose. It also gives 20 Poetics Tomestones.

If you're max level it will instead reward 20 Aphorism and 10 Astronomy Tomestones, plus the 20 Poetics.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I've ben levelling summoner with - it's slow but it's not nothing. There's also the series rewards - An emote, portrait parts, a fashion accessory, a gear coffin, and currency to buy new glams. You got progress to these even if you are languishing in bronze hell. If you are having a bad time with it, I would recommend class hopping - That's how I settled on Summoner and not any of my main classes.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
i would posit that creatures born from an incantation would be stronger if it has cringey/embarrassing words in it because they are strengthened by the dynamis elicited by the embarrassment of yourself and potential onlookers. ergo,

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Heavensward LP built this city on Rock and Roll. Come enjoy a second helping of Bard and the grand finale of the Firmament!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Assume I have the reflexes and reaction times of a deceased elderly man. Which pvp job would be best for me?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Are any of the crystal trophy sets noteworthy? From a quick look through them the Samurai set was the most standout to me because the white accent on the chest is really standout compared to the original black. The other sets i don't know enough about to say how much of a difference they make.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

CJ posted:

Are any of the crystal trophy sets noteworthy? From a quick look through them the Samurai set was the most standout to me because the white accent on the chest is really standout compared to the original black. The other sets i don't know enough about to say how much of a difference they make.

I mentioned upthread, but the trophy version of the MCH goggles dye the lenses instead of the frames, and metallic paints are especially good on them. The RDM hat is also popular because it resembles the FFXI hat, if you're a fan of that game.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the blm gear has shoulder pouches for snacks

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

Assume I have the reflexes and reaction times of a deceased elderly man. Which pvp job would be best for me?

There's a lot of thoughts you can take for this, but for my money, it'd be either WAR or MCH. WAR because you're basically bulldozing everything on CD anyway and MCH because you aren't really doing much disengage, not really reacting to ally's states much, and you're the one doing the target selection most of the time. WAR might be easier on the basis that you're just inherently tankier and don't have to worry as much if you get jumped, but MCH might get jumped on less if you can stay at range.

But I'm sure there's arguments for other jobs instead.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm not sure why, maybe some of you steeped in housing can say, but the FC empyrean ward my FC transferred to is still largely empty. only 6 of the plots have houses and all the rest are up for auction with 0 bids. Do they need to consolidate FC wards and open more for individual?

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm not sure why, maybe some of you steeped in housing can say, but the FC empyrean ward my FC transferred to is still largely empty. only 6 of the plots have houses and all the rest are up for auction with 0 bids. Do they need to consolidate FC wards and open more for individual?

People are assuming that the devs drastically over-estimated the demand for FC housing, especially for small plots and for less populated servers. The breakdown is 75% FC, 25% individual right now in Ishgard; a lot of people are asking for something closer to 50-50%.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
75-25 is hilariously overkill. 10-90 would have been way closer.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I mean only 6 wards for individuals but loving 19 for FCs is completely ridiculous, especially when it's already so hard for a single person to get a house.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The housing glitch also probably messed up a good number of bids and when people who were the only entrants saw 0 won instead of them, they likely pulled their money right away to avoid it being eaten up by another glitch.

I still think they're actually trying to do away with personal housing the way it currently exists. FC houses make more sense because of the workshop and private rooms, etc. but I get the feeling private housing has become such an albatross for them, especially now that the playerbase has greatly outgrown the available supply. I could be wrong on this, but the 75/25 split is just baffling to me otherwise.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

AncientSpark posted:

There's a lot of thoughts you can take for this, but for my money, it'd be either WAR or MCH. WAR because you're basically bulldozing everything on CD anyway and MCH because you aren't really doing much disengage, not really reacting to ally's states much, and you're the one doing the target selection most of the time. WAR might be easier on the basis that you're just inherently tankier and don't have to worry as much if you get jumped, but MCH might get jumped on less if you can stay at range.

But I'm sure there's arguments for other jobs instead.

Thanks, I'll try both of those.

As for the housing district split, I think they assume FCs are going to want large and medium plots, which are scarcity within scarcity. So they're going to let all the 1-18 large/mediums go to FCs, then give it a few more rounds to let any FCs willing to settle for small plots in those wards get them, and to let private buyers get the 19-24 plots vacated by moving FCs. Then probably swap the FC/private designation so individuals can grab the remaining 1-18 smalls. It may take many cycles and a few flips to even things out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

The NPC you unlock Crystal Conflict at literally explains everything. Including how Overtime works, if you bother to read the tutorials :v:

In one ear, out the other. Info dump tutorials aren't exactly the greatest.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

the blm gear has shoulder pouches for snacks

really traumatic for me to have to see the ugliest BLM AF set in the game again

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Maybe it's different on the Asian servers but fuckin lol, talk about completely misreading the community's desire

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Also, bros, we don't need two tanks in cc.one of you please switch

All my recent teams have had 2+members go 0/4 k/d and just :psyduck:

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 17, 2022

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

really traumatic for me to have to see the ugliest BLM AF set in the game again

You mean all of them except ShB?

Except the EW gloves. They can stay.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

hazardousmouse posted:

Also, bros, we don't need two tanks in cc.one of you please switch

Can you change classes in CC?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Can you change classes in CC?

No

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

hazardousmouse posted:

AncientSpark posted:

People are assuming that the devs drastically over-estimated the demand for FC housing, especially for small plots and for less populated servers. The breakdown is 75% FC, 25% individual right now in Ishgard; a lot of people are asking for something closer to 50-50%.

Rynoto posted:

Macaluso posted:

I mean only 6 wards for individuals but loving 19 for FCs is completely ridiculous, especially when it's already so hard for a single person to get a house.

After just one lottery cycle is way too early to tell. Even a single player can have the money for a medium or large plot after a few years of playing, you can only bid on one house per lottery cycle so naturally a lot of FCs put in bids for medium or large houses this first time. Now that those houses are gone the next bidding cycle will have FCs who lost their bids compete for smalls. And after that another cycle or two should also get rid of most inferior lots (and by that time every bot FC and people who sell/buy houses through small FCs will porobably have had their >30d to be eligible so that will also get rid of a few more FC-only lots). Seeing empty FC-only lots is a temporary thing.

Considering houses were originally intended for FCs and have FC-only features like the workshop and voyages, I think it's reasonable to give FCs priority in some way. The problem is that supply lags several years behind housing demand now (and auto-demolition remaining off for the foreseeable future will not make it better), and that's just for FCs. There's simply no way the current system is adequate for anyone even if you shuffle the percentage of FC-only housing, that just makes it more unfair for FCs vs. individuals.

The fact that everyone and their cat can also afford mediums and often even larges is an additional problem on top of the overly limited number of housing plots. Larger houses have some issues (the indoor item limit can be too low for very elaborate housing shenanigans) but also noticeable advantages (more gardening plots, larger yards with higher outdoor item limits, more room inside) so they're more desirable for everyone who can afford them - there are a lot more FCs and individuals who are competing for larger houses nowadays, but the wards are designed with lot/item limits for the PS3 days and with lot size distributions appropriate for a time when only really large/rich FCs were expected to have large houses in the first place. It's just a huge shitshow and they would have to review their entire approach to housing to ever fix this.

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 17, 2022

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Personal housing was a mistake, imo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Well then it seems like those tanks have a pretty good reason to not switch!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
That's a weird design choice considering how important team comp is for small team matches where you don't know others choices ahead of time

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

hazardousmouse posted:

That's a weird design choice considering how important team comp is for small team matches where you don't know others choices ahead of time

Having 2 tanks isn't the reason you're losing

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

orcane posted:

Considering houses were originally intended for FCs and have FC-only features like the workshop and voyages, I think it's reasonable to give FCs priority in some way.

I find this interesting, because those are really one subsystem which is interesting for only a small proportion of people within each FC to begin with (i.e. those who control the voyages and their destinations). They've also been steadily moving voyage-only rewards to other places, like Bozja and the new GC minion boxes, in a way that I assumed reflected their understanding that "voyage-only" meant functionally unobtainable for 99% of players the way "Feast-only" did.

Plus, it weirdly runs counter to their (stated?) intent in a lot of their recent design to "future-proof" the game by better enabling solo play. I do wonder if this is something where Japanese servers have a cultural difference from other servers (as people say is true of raid strats and callouts) that makes something like this play differently. I know I've heard apocrypha to the effect that the devs were surprised that non-Japanese servers seem like they'd much rather have giant linkshells than giant FCs.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 17, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

I really do feel this. Personal housing hit way before the apartment complexes were added and it's crowded out a lot of FCs while also setting the expectation of not "settling" for a small house if you're an FC.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm inclined to agree, even as someone who's had a house for years. I'll admit getting that first small plot in the Lavender Beds when I was on Excalibur and 3 million gil felt like a lot of money was exciting. My wife and I spent all day decorating the place and harvesting materials to make more furniture, so I have some memories, but I'm not nearly as attached to my medium on Exodus.

I tried for a place in Ishgard because I had a specific design idea in mind that I felt would work best in that ward, but I didn't get it and now I'm left wondering if I want to try again and downsize to a small, if any are open in the private wards (I haven't looked; I saw someone moved in to the one I bid on and I grabbed my cash and left) or if I try to get out of the Goblet and into maybe Shirogane and go all in on that design idea.

If I could propose to the devs an idea for personal, instanced housing, it'd be a little location based on each of the main cities in ARR and each expansion. A house in a hidden glade in the Shroud, a beachfront cottage in La Noscea, a little oasis in the Saagoli Desert, then maybe a snowswept mountaintop cabin in Coerthas, maybe one of those yurts on the Steppe, a place in the Crystarium or Eulmore, and then something in Sharlayan or Radz-at-Han. That way, there'd still be a bit of an option for surroundings, but everything else would be effectively the same.

Of course, my ideal private instanced home would be my own Parrock in the Sea of Clouds. I just want to live on an island in the sky.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 17, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just want to have a space to put my pizza oven/grill combo, is that too much to ask

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah. FCs should 100% have priority over housing, and the 18-6 ratio they opened with was the right idea. They're going to open them for private ownership down the road anyways, and this lets the fcs get first dibs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Astroniomix posted:

Having 2 tanks isn't the reason you're losing

Going against a team of tanks in CC sounds like a nightmare tbh.