Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Mister Sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate Year 1 (Mar 14-15, 1991)

I loathe this character like nothing else and my one consolation is that Diary of a Wimpy Kid completely ate his lunch

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (October 17-19, 1921)

Toonerville Folks (January 13-15, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Misidentification (January 25, 1914)

In spite of my shabby guesswork earlier, I'm convinced this candidate's Hiram Gill, mainly because (apart from a much stronger resemblance) Dok Hager's making hay about this duck's "reform", and is drawing him as a literal lame duck.

When The Town Crier laid out the odds on the ten, they were fairly blunt about Gill's chances going in. "Gill will doubtless get a lot of votes; it is barely possible that he may be one of the primary nominees. But what's the use? He cannot be elected. Despite his right-about-face on all sorts of questions and his professions of better purposes and ideals, he is not as strong as he was two years ago or at the time of his recall from the office of mayor." They considered his candidacy a dirty trick drummed up by the Seattle Star to flush him out in the open so they'd have some bones to pick over.

Little Lefty (May 18-20 1936)

Blondie (From Zero) (November 23-25, 1931)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: The palace ghost (16/1937)

This comic has some of the best expressions. Look at that ghost leaving in a huff!

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

:lol: this comic is so good

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I bought some asparagus to have with Easter breakfast so I hope they're okay with Hollandaise sauce at least

Prince Valiant

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 10, 2000)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This run of strips feels really strange in contrast to the show (which had an episode where a resurrected MLK lost his temper and started saying the same sort of things that the comic is criticizing Cosby for saying).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In a slightly-extended update for today's (and tomorrow's) Blueberry: Sherlock Holmes nods approvingly (yet again), or Blueberry makes his way to Durango, or Guffie gets in an even tighter spot...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Jenny's being straight-up negligent here and it's 100% her fault if they all die. This was not simple human error (like a bad weight estimate) which would at least be understandable; she outright stated that this would overload the plane to the point that they might not even be able to take off. But then she went ahead anyway, with a "welp, not my fault". No, Jenny, it IS your fault. Assuming this fuckup doesn't kill you, it's severe enough that you should lose your drat pilot's license over it.

Edited to add: I've crossposted this to the Aeronautical Insanity thread. I'm curious to see what actual pilots have to say about it...

Remember that Russell Keaton was a pilot himself, and eventually quit cartooning to become a flying instructor, so he should have known all this.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/16/02

Brenda Starr 7/25/48

Smokey Stover 5/18/47

Everyday Movies 1/19/35

"Will we be in the South today, porter? Would you advise me to wear my lighter things?"

For the next few weeks, Everyday Movies is going to Florida (and points south).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Powered Descent posted:

Jenny's being straight-up negligent here and it's 100% her fault if they all die. This was not simple human error (like a bad weight estimate) which would at least be understandable; she outright stated that this would overload the plane to the point that they might not even be able to take off. But then she went ahead anyway, with a "welp, not my fault". No, Jenny, it IS your fault. Assuming this fuckup doesn't kill you, it's severe enough that you should lose your drat pilot's license over it.

Edited to add: I've crossposted this to the Aeronautical Insanity thread. I'm curious to see what actual pilots have to say about it...

Selachian posted:

Remember that Russell Keaton was a pilot himself, and eventually quit cartooning to become a flying instructor, so he should have known all this.

I mean, criminal negligence is the action hero way, to be fair.

If you want her credentials, I offer this evidence:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

This Arlo & Janis Origins storyline has been wonderful!

Same goes for Val, Monya, cyberpunk pub comic that isn't Uramachi Sakaba and Night Visitors. Just great stuff all around!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "158 - Jucika Learns How To Ride A Bike"

"159 - Jucika And The Same Clothes"

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (April 20, 1975)

Funky OH OF COURSE IT COMES BACK TO HER

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa! (March 27, April 3, 10, and 17)

And that catches us up to today. Next week, one page is all you get.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Walking to school and some strange old man runs up and knows your name for some reason. nbd.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Did they have stranger danger education in 1982? I feel like we’re getting real close to him terrifying his former friends because he’s a strange old man trying to enter a high school.

This whole story reminds me of a weird memory I have from elementary school of an old man trying to force his way into our class to tell something to a friend of mine, but our teacher blocked the door and told him to leave, and eventually he did. At lunch we deduced that it was my friend’s future self come back to warn him, and we all agreed that is was important for him to remember that it didn’t work so that he can try a different strategy when he gets to that point on his own timeline. In retrospect, the whole thing seems very weird and disturbing, but it was probably some embarrassing family situation that my friend didn’t want to think about and would rather use fantasy to escape from like all us losers did.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
No no guys, we should support Crazy Harry! I mean, what if he tells Lisa to get a cancer screening, or tells her to get with Les like right now? The former might mean she doesn't die of cancer, and the latter might mean Les is forced to do something with his life.

Or if the timeline is set, all he has done is ensured Lisa gets cancer the day she meets Les.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Get out of this town before it sucks your life away! Look at what it did to me!”

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

At least Frippy Dipplechin didn't have Irrational Harold meet his future wife's child self though this is, arguably, worse.

A Republican Hellscape Where People Who Hold Political Office Can and Should Be Willing To Kill

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 10, 2000)

You know what the biggest problem is with kittens? They grow up to be cats.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: If you need something done (17/1937)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Annie edition)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did they have stranger danger education in 1982? I feel like we’re getting real close to him terrifying his former friends because he’s a strange old man trying to enter a high school.

Yeah, but it was more or less "Don't get in a car with or take candy from people you don't know." Issues about security on school grounds didn't escalate dramatically until after Columbine.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cowslips Warren posted:

No no guys, we should support Crazy Harry! I mean, what if he tells Lisa to get a cancer screening, or tells her to get with Les like right now? The former might mean she doesn't die of cancer, and the latter might mean Les is forced to do something with his life.

Or if the timeline is set, all he has done is ensured Lisa gets cancer the day she meets Les.

Seconds later after Crazy Harry leaves present Les arrives with a gift of those cadmium-rich Garfield coffee mugs to ensure Lisa gets cancer because what the gently caress else is he going to do with his life if he can't profit off her death

I mean he already found a nice spot for his best actress Oscar next to his other random childhood poo poo shelf, he can't get that effort back

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Or, in something that will be more contemporary to lisa's problems, warn her about her abusive boyfriend who will knock her up and leave her (which then leads to the incest storyline)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Or, in something that will be more contemporary to lisa's problems, warn her about her abusive boyfriend who will knock her up and leave her (which then leads to the incest storyline)

Which was also a retcon iirc.

In the original I don't think the dude showed up much, but the writer had to make Lisa more of a saint. I imagine the publisher balked at the idea of a virgin birth.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Now see, here's what I'm talking about. This Boondocks aged extremely well. Because Rush Limbaugh is dead. He died from all the poison gas he inhaled into his lungs, and was buried, due to his death..

lol

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

EasyEW posted:

"I heard you like Chinese food"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Mar 16-17, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 1, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 27-28, 1990)

I love that snowman one.

No Blind Alley today

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EasyEW posted:

i just wanted to say that i've been reading this thread and its predecessors sporadically since uhhhhh like 2009, popping in every few years to only eventually get bored because newspaper comics are so dire these days, and i can't believe that

a) funky winkerbean is still running
b) it's still somehow about that lady who died of cancer, just like it has been every other time i've read this thread

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Nate? Your card? Where's report

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Mister Sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008