Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Phantasy Star IV and ..I think Arc the Lad II had side job logs, those are the earliest I can think of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

Look, I like BoF3 but it is a game with the fuckin' Desert of Death. It's irritating and it gets everywhere.

The desert takes maybe 10 minutes to get through, less if you’re fleeing a bunch. The only issue with it is the npc with bad directions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the desert is one of the least offensive parts of bof3

you spend the entire game waiting for the story to happen. it’s a thirty-hour series of inane chores that ends at a credit screen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just like real life

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Any plans to port Oreshika Tainted Bloodlines to a non-Vita console? I think I got about halfway through it on there before I lost all my Vita saves. Game wasn't perfect but it did have some really cool systems.

It took like 12 years for them to remake the PS1 original for the PSP, with the Vita sequel came out 15 years after the original, and even then it was almost completely ignored by Sony after the announcement trailer so coming to something that isn't Vita3k or whatever doesn't seem likely.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
idk i think bofiv is like. one of the most mind numbing jrpgs i've ever played. that game is definitely good when it's good, it has some incredibly well written scenes and basically every time fou lu is on screen is its peak. it's just... fou lu is so good that he casts a shadow on how mediocre a lot of the rest of the game is. compared to other big jrpgs of the time, like tales or final fantasy or even wonkier ones like xenogears, i just could not get into bofiv at all because its pacing was absolutely grinding the game to a halt every hour to make you do a bunch of unrelated fetch quests with unrelated characters to the plot who have no meaningful impact on your narrative arc.

and you can argue the game is going for having a bunch of little stories to carry you along through a bigger one and mirror fou lu's arc but. fou lu's arc is so much more impactful and compelling on a moment to moment basis, every interaction he has gives you a deeper understanding of who he is and what his beliefs are and how he might have changed if things went a bit differently. he has lots of scenes that are just him quietly talking with other people and it builds up a strong atmosphere and sense of depth to him that makes you want to keep following his story.

and the main party... doesn't have that. it feels like the game is stretching itself thin but it only has like. six characters. and among those characters, like, cray and nina have a memorable dynamic with each other and ershin, i guess interacts with everyone else, sometimes, but after their arc is finished it's primarily just to dispense plot information as an intermediary for deis, and that arc finishes far too early in the game, when it's something you could write across the entire story, exploring ershin and deis' relationship and having them slowly warm up to each other. scias is fun but he also ceases to exist in the core party dynamic after his arc is finished, even for jokes. and ursula doesn't really even begin to get anything, she gets a couple good jokes... okay the best jokes in the entire game in the pirate town, and has a fun interaction with nina in the pirate ship, but her arc like. doesn't exist. what it all amounts to is them randomly having her meet her dad right before you enter the final dungeon. she never really feels like a part of the group in any interesting way. and yeah, i did the camp scenes. i still dont think those end up being equal to like, the skits in a tales game in what they do for party interaction since it's still primarily just the characters expositing their thoughts at you most of the time.

and cause of all that i just really don't like how much of the game is spent on all those random side adventures and errands. theoretically i would, it's a great idea actually, but i think they all do a really poor job of making use of that structure for anything because the vast majority of them don't really do much to deepen the characters you're journeying with. pirate town, the deserted island and the little jungle village section are the closest they ever get, but there's so much other mindless chaff in there that turns it from a journey into like, an endless series of chores you're having to fulfill to get to more of the writing, and even for what's there in the deserted island, cray's growth there feels so sudden to me like they were building up this whole arc for him but then, forgot about it for several hours. and then randomly remembered it again and decided to just have him auto-resolve it here. i want them all to be like, more like goofier tales sidequests where in the process of doing all this stuff you get scenes of the characters opening up to each other and making jokes and stuff together. that's what you get in games like ffx and wild arms 3, and it's why the journey in those games is so satisfying to go on. and bofiv most of the time just like, fails to get any of that.

tl;dr i dont think breath of fire iv is really the best of anything i think it's got some good vignettes but as a jrpg about going on a big journey it entirely fails to sell the player on that journey

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This lines up pretty well with my experience I think, the villain segments were by far the best parts of the game and the rest was ok but marred by dumb minigames

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

PS1 Breath of Fire games... great spritework, beautiful spritework.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The only Breath of Fire games that are really about a big journey are 1 and Dragon Quarter. 2/3/4 are all a series of vignettes more than anything and if you don't vibe with that you will hate them.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean. the entire second to last act of bofiv is about having to take the long road around into the empire. and i have nothing against little vignettes happening along the way it's just, they aren't, interesting vignettes. even as smaller sub stories nothing really happens in most of them. what of meaning is added by having a part where a guy is like "you must give me two of these three things to pass" and then you, go and do random chores and a dungeon to get two of the three things, and then come back and leave

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Was Breath of Fire 1's "Boss HP bars mean literally nothing" something they did to the North American release or was that something that somehow made it through multiple international quality assurance tests.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's just a countdown to the second phase of the boss fight, where I believe their routines change a bit. Sometimes that phase is just a single additional hit, or sometimes it's longer than the first phase, but it was intentional. If not there wouldn't be a unique bit of dialog for the phase change for each one.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

TurnipFritter posted:

It took like 12 years for them to remake the PS1 original for the PSP, with the Vita sequel came out 15 years after the original, and even then it was almost completely ignored by Sony after the announcement trailer so coming to something that isn't Vita3k or whatever doesn't seem likely.

Yeah bummer, it's just the sticks and dpad on my vita are pretty worn out

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Colonel posted:

tl;dr i dont think breath of fire iv is really the best of anything i think it's got some good vignettes but as a jrpg about going on a big journey it entirely fails to sell the player on that journey

Fou Lu's arc is definitely the best part of the game and you can see him softening a bit when someone shows him kindness, which is probably also due to Ryu affecting him (as he affects Ryu) and then the generic Evil Empire does their Evil Empire thing and pushes him to his most extreme belief and course of action.

The ruins scene where Ryu unleashes Kaiser for the first time is really good too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Has anyone tried out Lunacid? It's a King's Field inspired rpg by the spooky's house of jumpscares guy. Only like 7 bucks on steam and I've been enjoying it alot so far. Magic seems pretty OP though

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
BoF2's battle graphics were fukken amazing for a SNES game back then, they left quite an impression on me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked that sometimes when you cast a fire spell you would set the background on fire

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

there are a couple of romhacks that make BoF2 more palatable

The German->English retranslation with that dumbass anime intro by d4s+Ryusei: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1384/
Maeson's Rebalance from 2017, which works with the above retranslation: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3272/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Being able to transform your characters into different characters was cool. The best part of any BOF game that isn't DQ is transforming. It is why Rei is the coolest non-Ryu party member in 3.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

being able to use the otherwise nearly worthless targeting skill you get from the goblin bosses in the beginning of the game to control him is such a sick idea.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...between Garr and K from Virtue's Last Reward I'm starting to realize I'm a sucker for the juxtaposition of the Buddhist Monk look with fantastical/sci fi elements.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Junpei posted:

...between Garr and K from Virtue's Last Reward I'm starting to realize I'm a sucker for the juxtaposition of the Buddhist Monk look with fantastical/sci fi elements.

To be fair, it's extremely cool

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gyoru posted:

there are a couple of romhacks that make BoF2 more palatable

The German->English retranslation with that dumbass anime intro by d4s+Ryusei: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1384/
Maeson's Rebalance from 2017, which works with the above retranslation: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3272/

The rebalance mod might or might not address my problems but I don't know if I can ever trust again

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Phantasy Star IV and ..I think Arc the Lad II had side job logs, those are the earliest I can think of

Yeah, since in PS4 you were a professional monster hunter/general problem-solver, all of the game's sidequests conveniently start at your base of operations, where there's a big list of jobs you can take on (and none of them expire until you complete them). There's also a party chat mechanic to tell you where to go next in the main story. It was pretty neat for 1995.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Has anyone tried out Lunacid? It's a King's Field inspired rpg by the spooky's house of jumpscares guy.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, since in PS4 you were a professional monster hunter/general problem-solver, all of the game's sidequests conveniently start at your base of operations, where there's a big list of jobs you can take on (and none of them expire until you complete them). There's also a party chat mechanic to tell you where to go next in the main story. It was pretty neat for 1995.

More RPGs should be borrowing things from PSIV. The macro system in particular should be in pretty much any RPG with turn-based combat.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got a badass flame sword..game owns

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If there's no Triple Fang I swear to Guyra i'm gonna flip

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Junpei posted:

watch (dont bother playing) asura's wrath

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

being able to use the otherwise nearly worthless targeting skill you get from the goblin bosses in the beginning of the game to control him is such a sick idea.

At least in BoFIV I would also get a kick out of ordering enemies who were controllable by it to attack their leaders :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah there were some of those in 3 as well. There was also a type of goblin that came with one of the boss goblins that used the skill, and when the boss goblin used it the other orange goblin would just turn around and kill him.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Relin posted:

watch (dont bother playing) asura's wrath

To be fair there's not much to 'play' in it and the brawler parts are very bad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hitting the buttons in asura's wrath, is fun

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

hitting the buttons in asura's wrath, is fun

:yeah: :emptyquote:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Speaking of game hot takes, was arc the lad: twilight of the spirits bad or was I a dumb kid and bailed on it too early

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's okay until you get to that boss that has a billion HP and one shots all your characters

Nothing special though

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Got a badass flame sword..game owns

I bookmarked the game, looks cool! How dangerous are those... ?flowers? in the screenshot? Giving me some deku baba flashbacks.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The first few kings fields are all about fighting onery flowers and trees after all

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
those kings field flowers are some fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Chrono Cross's soundtrack on piano, done with 4 different camera angles, by Kara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ZriJ8FTp8