Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How much poo poo has that front yard seen that it needs what look to be loving Armco barriers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
I'd guess "quite a bit"

note the condition of the guardrail to the right of the driveway prior to impact

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Hawkperson posted:

I don’t mind the rear collision detection but I wish I could like, turn it off locationally because my garage is quite small and my car screams bloody murder every morning when I’m trying to back out. My poor neighbors.

What we’re talking about is rear cross-traffic-and-sometimes-people alert. It won’t beep unless there’s a moving car or person. It’ll totally let you hit a wall if you’re not paying attention via another method :-)

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

I see you found footage of me playing Forza Horizon 5.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I know this is a few days late but have a compliation of people who thought they where all in the right enough to send their vids in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re2n8kSGIj4

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I know this is a few days late but have a compliation of people who thought they where all in the right enough to send their vids in

Right off the jump with a winner. What’s the thought process there?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

You should try watching the UK dashcam videos, it's just an endless stream of morons who can't drive sending in footage of them getting into near miss situations and accidents. I'm constantly stunned by how many of the cammers risk death purely to get footage to send in. Either that or they have absolutely minimal hazard perception. Either way I share roads with these dangerous arseholes and they're the prime reason I would like mandatory re-testing every 5 years and licenses revoking.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Right off the jump with a winner. What’s the thought process there?

Being an absolute flop is excusable because he has a dash cam to record the transgression which makes him right?

Theres piles of roundabout ones as well which at least in my part of Australia are very much give way to traffic already in the roundabout.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

You also get people like Stephen Bagwell who has hundreds of dashcam clips uploaded of minor inconveniences, none of which have more than a couple of hundred views.

Except one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xdM5JwEHZE

Be sure to watch with sound on.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Lord Ludikrous posted:

You also get people like Stephen Bagwell who has hundreds of dashcam clips uploaded of minor inconveniences, none of which have more than a couple of hundred views.

Except one.

Christ. There's a guy who should 100% be forced to walk everywhere, swinging into the other lane to stop a guy undertaking when he's sat hogging the other lane? Psychotic behaviour.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Except one.

Did I just listen to someone actually give themselves a stroke because he didn't get out of the passing lane? Jesus what a jackass.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This is why I back into every parking spot. My son who just got his permit is also doing this everywhere we go. It’s drat near impossible to see around all these goddamn giant trucks and SUV’s if we were to back out in our tiny-for-the-modern-era cars.

My wife rolls her eyes and gets a little cross when we're in a hurry and I back in. Of course that's also an opportunity for a little fake hustle on my part to just front in and act like I'm moving quickly. Similar to the Rolls Royce method of downshifting and driving at high revs to make your client think you're going faster.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

How much poo poo has that front yard seen that it needs what look to be loving Armco barriers?

had a little time to kill while waiting on a flight so I did some research and figured out the crash location - the intersection of Anderson Ave and Spy Run Ave in Fort Wayne, IN.

its a 3-lane one-way avenue. 35MPH speed limit and not heavily policed so assume actual traffic speeds are +10

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0885512,-85.1343259,3a,75y,334.01h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSu5ahfZ_FHlA6cACScoMIw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

oh look! you can see the rockpile which the SUV ramped off of

additional Terrible Car Stuff : the SUV was a rental

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I like when I'm stopped at a light exactly where I'm supposed to stop at the stop bar and a guy making a left turn chooses to make it too tight and barely misses my car and gives me a dirty look like I'm the one who hosed up by stopping where I'm supposed to stop.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Phanatic posted:

I like when I'm stopped at a light exactly where I'm supposed to stop at the stop bar and a guy making a left turn chooses to make it too tight and barely misses my car and gives me a dirty look like I'm the one who hosed up by stopping where I'm supposed to stop.

I see more people stop on or past the stop bar than stop at the proper location. My favorite is when they are in a left turn lane and stop completely past the stop bar and are no longer on the sensor so they don't get a protected left turn. The intersection doesn't know you're there if you stop on the wrong side of the stop line, ya dummy!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

slidebite posted:

Did I just listen to someone actually give themselves a stroke because he didn't get out of the passing lane? Jesus what a jackass.

the guy STILL REPLIES TO COMMENTS on the video like a very normal person

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Found myself face to face with my first wrong-way driver yesterday. Luckily I saw them pretty far away and had a lane to move over (and they didn't get target fixation and follow me) but what the gently caress? Wish I had a dash cam for that one.

Anyone deal with wrong way drivers before?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

carry on then posted:

Found myself face to face with my first wrong-way driver yesterday. Luckily I saw them pretty far away and had a lane to move over (and they didn't get target fixation and follow me) but what the gently caress? Wish I had a dash cam for that one.

Anyone deal with wrong way drivers before?

Yup. 12 years local delivery in Tampa Bay. Late night/early morning driving on some of the most dangerous roads in America. They do that pretty often. So often the configurable displays tell you, "Wrong Way Driver. Exercise Caution!"

Two going across the Howard Frankland bridge, one on SR60 in Brandon, one on North Dale Mabry Hwy, one entering an off ramp in Pinellas Park from 118th (I got that one to stop), and the one dude who fell asleep and launched his Neon across the median and almost speared my truck in the driver's door.

Dunno what to tell you. Drive something big, keep your head on a swivel, go right, and don't hesitate to just stop on the side of the road with headlights and flashers on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BraveUlysses posted:

the guy STILL REPLIES TO COMMENTS on the video like a very normal person
Oh god, he does

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What about the Jag though :thunk:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

God what a loving Weiner.
Yeah, WHAT ABOUT the jag indeed you loving douche.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The only thing worse (for your sanity) than reading youtube comments is replying to them.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Combine people who shouldn't be driving with lovely infrastructure (both lack of transit options and bad roadway geometry), and you'll have the the mistakes bad drivers make amplified to be super deadly.

This on ramp design is a confirmed killer. I'm not sure how many victims it's taken over the years, but I know it's been more than one. I guess it's more vital the Burger King occupies that corner instead of a northbound on ramp from the westbound lanes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My truck battery has been dead for months and today my Escape isn't cranking. Pretty sure it's the original factory battery from 6 years ago too. I'm the idiot for not maintaining my vehicles :smith:

Edit: Just a small update. I hate new cars. 2 hours of removing just the loving air filter just to replace the battery :argh:

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 15, 2022

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

I see more people stop on or past the stop bar than stop at the proper location. My favorite is when they are in a left turn lane and stop completely past the stop bar and are no longer on the sensor so they don't get a protected left turn. The intersection doesn't know you're there if you stop on the wrong side of the stop line, ya dummy!

I also like when you're on the inside lane of a double-left turn, how you can almost loving BET the person next to you, in the outside lane, will 100% drift into the inside lane when they turn. Almost without fail. And then give you a dirty look if you honk at them.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Protocol7 posted:

Edit: Just a small update. I hate new cars. 2 hours of removing just the loving air filter just to replace the battery :argh:

Lmao yeah, I replaced the battery on my SIL’s escape a year or so ago and it was a massive pain in the rear end.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Protocol7 posted:

My truck battery has been dead for months and today my Escape isn't cranking. Pretty sure it's the original factory battery from 6 years ago too. I'm the idiot for not maintaining my vehicles :smith:

Oh boy I had a 2015 Escape and I remember looking at the battery and thinking drat that'll be a bitch to replace. I turned it back in without having to though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You should try watching the UK dashcam videos, it's just an endless stream of morons who can't drive sending in footage of them getting into near miss situations and accidents. I'm constantly stunned by how many of the cammers risk death purely to get footage to send in. Either that or they have absolutely minimal hazard perception. Either way I share roads with these dangerous arseholes and they're the prime reason I would like mandatory re-testing every 5 years and licenses revoking.

This should be mandatory viewing for anyone trying to understand the mind of The British Motorist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niA9fFdvp8E

It's classism and wankers all the way down.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Phanatic posted:

It's because they wanted to drive through that space since going wide takes too much effort, and you ruined their lazy turn by very rudely existing there.

I see people use that spot as part of the turning arc all of the time if nobody is there, just casually driving on the wrong side of the road.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

KozmoNaut posted:

This should be mandatory viewing for anyone trying to understand the mind of The British Motorist.

lmao that white shitbox is the car he's so proud of?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just got back from a trip that took about 5 hours longer than it was supposed to I think. And it was already a long drive. We got very close to a town on the interstate before they closed it starting at that town. The detour had significant backtracking, then snow, then an accident, rain, more snow....

This was after our driver sped down some two lane roads with about 6" of shoulders, no guardrails and unsigned turns. I was ready to be home.

I hate not being in control, and also having no or little influence over the situation. To me, if we're getting home after midnight because of a detour, there's no reason to hurry anymore. It's not like I could still make family dinner or something, once you're five hours late who, cares if it goes to six? I gave a little monologue and I think it helped.

I also didn't like that we were in a little convoy, but mostly because the route we took wasn't reccomended by any navigation. Probably it's faster though if you are going 80 in a 40!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

KozmoNaut posted:

That's real? Not a parody? gently caress.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

100% real. I distinctly remember 'reps' being a thing in my childhood years. Just scores of sales arseholes driving round in their company cars, staying in lovely hotels trying to get businesses to buy poo poo from their company. Leagues of self-important shitbirds in cheap suits huffing their own farts.

(and thank you, I was looking for that video!)

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Olympic Mathlete posted:

100% real. I distinctly remember 'reps' being a thing in my childhood years. Just scores of sales arseholes driving round in their company cars, staying in lovely hotels trying to get businesses to buy poo poo from their company. Leagues of self-important shitbirds in cheap suits huffing their own farts.

(and thank you, I was looking for that video!)

I couldn't believe there was such a business case for so many of these guys to be running around on the company dime. But then one of the comments reminded me that this was the 90's, and these guys were replaced by websites in the 00's.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

About a year ago I called up Vision Engineering and arranged for their traveling salesman to give a demo at my tiny startup the next time they were in my city. We did not have a direct business reason to buy a 3D inspection microscope. But on the other hand, are you really a cool tech R&D lab without a fancy-pants microscope on your bench?

This was a case where I, the engineering technician guy, knew this particular piece of kit would sell itself once the boss got to play with it. Doesn't even matter that there wasn't an immediate business use.

The plan worked great and it's become one of the most useful instruments in the lab. I use it for electronic soldering inspection. Boss uses it for cleaning optical assemblies and sensors. This particular microscope benefits a lot from an in-person demo, because the website doesn't do it justice. It's absolutely jaw-dropping, Star Trek-level tech, for like $2,300.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You've very nearly sold my dumb rear end on it. What a cool doohickey.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
When Ford advertises the Bronco as "taking you to places you've never gone before," they didn't mean it literally. :colbert:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Goes
Over
Any
Terrain
Sandbars
Excepted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You've very nearly sold my dumb rear end on it. What a cool doohickey.

Best general use lense is the 4x. The 8x has a much smaller 'sweet spot'.

The 4x lens sweet spot is so large, and the lens relief is so huge, we don't even use a microscope stage to hold the object. Just hold it in your hand and move it closer or farther to focus, until the image 'pops'. Really, the optics are that good.

The entire device is just lenses and mirrors. The only part that uses electricity is the LED ring light.