Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

HackensackBackpack posted:

I'm inclined to agree, even as someone who's had a house for years. I'll admit getting that first small plot in the Lavender Beds when I was on Excalibur and 3 million gil felt like a lot of money was exciting. My wife and I spent all day decorating the place and harvesting materials to make more furniture, so I have some memories, but I'm not nearly as attached to my medium on Exodus.

I tried for a place in Ishgard because I had a specific design idea in mind that I felt would work best in that ward, but I didn't get it and now I'm left wondering if I want to try again and downsize to a small, if any are open in the private wards (I haven't looked; I saw someone moved in to the one I bid on and I grabbed my cash and left) or if I try to get out of the Goblet and into maybe Shirogane and go all in on that design idea.

If I could propose to the devs an idea for personal, instanced housing, it'd be a little location based on each of the main cities in ARR and each expansion. A house in a hidden glade in the Shroud, a beachfront cottage in La Noscea, a little oasis in the Saagoli Desert, then maybe a snowswept mountaintop cabin in Coerthas, maybe one of those yurts on the Steppe, a place in the Crystarium or Eulmore, and then something in Sharlayan or Radz-at-Han. That way, there'd still be a bit of an option for surroundings, but everything else would be effectively the same.

Of course, my ideal private instanced home would be my own Parrock in the Sea of Clouds. I just want to live on an island in the sky.

I would love this kind of thing. A snowy cabin in the mountains surrounded by pine trees would be incredible.

Make FC rooms like three times the size and super increase the amount of things you can place in them if you want to give FCs so much priority over individual houses. Make FC rooms more worth it to have. I love my little cozy room but I'd love way more space and the ability to put more than than 100 things down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I would buy an FC room if it were bigger than my apt for sure.

Also I'm still stunned at how gorgeous the new ally raid is. And the mechanics felt tough on a first run but also very readable. Real SSS tier design. The last boss in particular was visually stunning and oh man that music.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

If I could propose to the devs an idea for personal, instanced housing, it'd be a little location based on each of the main cities in ARR and each expansion. A house in a hidden glade in the Shroud, a beachfront cottage in La Noscea, a little oasis in the Saagoli Desert, then maybe a snowswept mountaintop cabin in Coerthas, maybe one of those yurts on the Steppe, a place in the Crystarium or Eulmore, and then something in Sharlayan or Radz-at-Han. That way, there'd still be a bit of an option for surroundings, but everything else would be effectively the same.

I...I want this so bad :smith:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just repurpose the inn rooms and the inn rooms, but we're not calling them that.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Personal housing was a mistake, imo.

i dont know about that, i have a house

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

That's similar to how ESO does it, although they take it one step further and have at least one location per zone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AncientSpark posted:

People are assuming that the devs drastically over-estimated the demand for FC housing, especially for small plots and for less populated servers. The breakdown is 75% FC, 25% individual right now in Ishgard; a lot of people are asking for something closer to 50-50%.

It's not just in Ishgard: every housing district is split 18/6.

For example, my Mist ward had seven people peace out for Ishgard, but I couldn't even relocate into any of those if I wanted to because it's an FC ward. Will those even get looked at? Who knows.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Going against a team of tanks in CC sounds like a nightmare tbh.

Is there a method for how it stacks teams? I know you can't have duplicate classes, but would it be possible to get something like PLD/WAR/DRK/GNB/WHM?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Is there a method for how it stacks teams? I know you can't have duplicate classes, but would it be possible to get something like PLD/WAR/DRK/GNB/WHM?

Set up a custom game

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kyrosiris posted:

It's not just in Ishgard: every housing district is split 18/6.

For example, my Mist ward had seven people peace out for Ishgard, but I couldn't even relocate into any of those if I wanted to because it's an FC ward. Will those even get looked at? Who knows.

In effect making the private housing market worse than it already was. One step forward with the lottery, two steps back with a piddly little amount of private wards. I wish the grandfathered plots would stay grandfathered at the very least.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have had matches with 3 healers and 3 tanks and everything inbetween. Their design philosophy seems to be pointing towards any comp being viable which I think is almost true, once a tuning pass or two is run through to wrangle in some of the bugs and some cc being clearly better than others.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

Going against a team of tanks in CC sounds like a nightmare tbh.

DRK, PLD, WAR, AST, BRD is probably one of the most infuriating setups to face off against.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah. FCs should 100% have priority over housing, and the 18-6 ratio they opened with was the right idea. They're going to open them for private ownership down the road anyways, and this lets the fcs get first dibs.

If they were going to do that why would they add the split to the old wards as well? it seems much more likely to me that they think housing is for FCs and the 6 private wards are just a compromise since people would riot if they completely removed private housing.

The problem with the FC wards is they can be gobbled up by resellers. You can't have extra supply for that reason. It's also makes them disabling the lottery because of the 0 bug a big issue, because the longer they wait the more shell FCs become eligible.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

My guess is once the initial rounds shake out and there are still smalls open they'll designate the FC wards as mixed instead.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Seems like the only thing it does is 1) no duplicate jobs, and 2) even numbers of non-DPS players on both teams (though it seems like it's given leeway on this one).

If you play a tank besides Warrior you'll almost always have a Warrior on your team anyway because everyone is playing it, but if you play Warrior you're way, way more likely to be a solo tank.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It also tries to keep the rank tiers balanced as well, you usually have the same number of people per rank

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
https://www.eurogamer.net/square-enix-president-still-thinks-the-companys-future-lies-in-blockchain-technology

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Nonfungible Token is a lore appropriate Hellsguard name.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's also a great hrothgar name

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxyclean posted:

In one ear, out the other. Info dump tutorials aren't exactly the greatest.

While I'm pretty sympathetic to that point, it does nothing to change the fact that the information is there and can be referenced at any time. Say, for example, after you have done a couple rounds and have context to put to the text, just as a hypothetical.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

While I'm pretty sympathetic to that point, it does nothing to change the fact that the information is there and can be referenced at any time. Say, for example, after you have done a couple rounds and have context to put to the text, just as a hypothetical.
I suppose, but there's something to be said for stuff that is intuitive or easy to learn by doing. The game is usually pretty good about that.

It's also probably pretty easy to forget you can go back to the NPC for that info.
After all the backlash, multiple projects going bad, and what feels like a huge cool-off, how does anyone still feel like NFT gaming is a good idea?

WrightOfWay posted:

housing was a mistake, imo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I have an infinitely better chance of getting a house in FFXIV than in real life some day, so :smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Astroniomix posted:

DRK, PLD, WAR, AST, BRD is probably one of the most infuriating setups to face off against.

As a bard, how can I effectively piss you off? It's hard to see what works or doesn't from my end.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

When housing comes up I always think of Wildstar, the mmo that did absolutely nothing right except for housing.

S.J. posted:

I have an infinitely better chance of getting a house in FFXIV than in real life some day, so :smith:

I thought there was a :smith: high five but I can't find it, picture it here

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Bruceski posted:

As a bard, how can I effectively piss you off? It's hard to see what works or doesn't from my end.

Part of what makes BRD+AST so powerful is that they can both feed LB to the team. Combine that with a DRK or PLD that have a vauge idea of what they are doing and they can stall the point for a painfuly long time.

I've only encountered 2 solid bards so far in my 50+ matches but I think the big thing is timing your silence to gently caress up people trying to heal or gaurd.

E: Thinking on it some more I feel like their big strength is that they can bully the gently caress out of the backline from the relative safety of behind their own team.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bruceski posted:

Bards actually have a distance modifier to their attacks and actually do benefit from attacking from far away unlike every other job. They also just end up passively boosting the party as long as you’re pushing buttons actively, and periodically silencing the other party. Basically they’re nice to have if your party members can take advantage of it. This is an issue with all the more support inclined classes in cc pvp though, where you’re at the whims of your teammate competency.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Oxyclean posted:

After all the backlash, multiple projects going bad, and what feels like a huge cool-off, how does anyone still feel like NFT gaming is a good idea?

A. It could be lip service to appease SE investors and keep his position secure.

B. He could personally be invested in NFTs

Or C. He’s an out-of-touch businessman.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bruceski posted:

If the enemy team has a Summoner, keep an eye out for when they rush in with their Ifrit charge, and then slience them as soon as they show up. A Silenced Summoner is basically a dead Summoner.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Astroniomix posted:

E: Thinking on it some more I feel like their big strength is that they can bully the gently caress out of the backline from the relative safety of behind their own team.

Ehh, I don't really think Bard's burst is such that they accomplish a lot from plinking at the backline. In the majority of cases you want to attack what your team is attacking and spending your GCDs shooting the enemy MCH for an average of 6k potency every 2.5 seconds is probably not the best use of your time unless that's where your team is focusing their attention. Bard has a decent amount of cleave between Blast Arrow and Apex Arrow so I think in general they want to be firing toward the blob unless again there's a good opportunity to focus/burst someone down.

MCH is honestly probably better at hitting the backline since they can actually double-tap every ranged/caster/healer with Analyze Drill + LB, and can actually get an even safer confirm on BLM/SGE specifically with Analyze Air Anchor (for the stun) + LB.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

oouuuhhh baby

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Countblanc posted:

Ehh, I don't really think Bard's burst is such that they accomplish a lot from plinking at the backline. In the majority of cases you want to attack what your team is attacking and spending your GCDs shooting the enemy MCH for an average of 6k potency every 2.5 seconds is probably not the best use of your time unless that's where your team is focusing their attention. Bard has a decent amount of cleave between Blast Arrow and Apex Arrow so I think in general they want to be firing toward the blob unless again there's a good opportunity to focus/burst someone down.

MCH is honestly probably better at hitting the backline since they can actually double-tap every ranged/caster/healer with Analyze Drill + LB, and can actually get an even safer confirm on BLM/SGE specifically with Analyze Air Anchor (for the stun) + LB.

I dunno. I'm still in the low tiers, so I'm definitely getting more KO's than I would against more competent players, but I get a lot of them for someone who's way in the back. Throwing out 27k+ damage in a couple GCDs*, while the target is silenced and can't do a drat thing except Purify if it's up, is quite the chunk of health when most people sit in the 50k range. Just go after whoever's under half health and you've got a pretty good chance of taking someone out every 20-25 seconds.

MCH is probably still better since they can 100-0 at the start of a fight, especially when you're on the more coordinated teams that can capitalize on being in a 5v4, but I wouldn't discount BRD's burst and their ability to pull it out multiple times in a drawn out fight.

*BRD GCDs are less than the advertised 2.4 seconds, since they functionally have a permanent 10% spell/skill reduction (and 5% damage) and get an additional 10% (and another 5% damage) for 10 seconds when they throw out their combo.
Silent Nocturne - Blast Arrow - Empyreal Arrow - Pitch Perfect

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Yeah. FCs should 100% have priority over housing, and the 18-6 ratio they opened with was the right idea. They're going to open them for private ownership down the road anyways, and this lets the fcs get first dibs.

The 18-6 ratio makes sense because right now, it's only truly applying to Ishgard. Yeah, any plot that opens up in 1-18 of Mist/Goblet/LavBeds/Shiro becomes FC-only but currently I would venture to guess that 50-70% of those houses are private houses. So they didn't suddenly make it that "75% of plots are FC houses." It makes math screwy because people need to take in account the 1-18 wards that are filled with private houses.

I think people need to stop overreacting and just give this a few weeks to settle. FCs absolutely deserve priority in houses.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes, but consider I would like a house to my own.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Anyone play on PC in 4k without cooking their GPU? I plugged into a 4k TV and my 2080RTX hits 95c+

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I love Bard, and I'm starting to think it's better than I initially gave it credit for. It's obvious drawback is that it's not a burst assassin, which is what's most obviously influential if you expect to play better than your random grab-bag of teammates. Doesn't help that it pretty much never wants to be on the point either. A significant part of Bard's power budget is in team buffs and applying steady pressure, which will never pay off if your team fucks up catastrophically.

Bard does a lot of attritional damage between the AoE on blast arrow and the solid chunking if you're max range (7k filler GCDs, with 1k of that being stored for later). Recall that you're also giving the team an average of 7.5% extra damage just for existing (5% all the time, an extra 5% half the time). Pressure creates opportunities. Bard isn't the best at exploiting them - that's what assassins do - but you can present another threat vector. If you can draw line of sight to where they're trying to run from your melee assassin then they can't actually run. This is really, really important to do as Bard, to the point where if I see an enemy drop low I'll sprint off to the side just to open the line on otherwise safe retreat positions for the enemy team. Silence into pitch perfect into empyreal arrow is up to 19k damage in roughly one second. That'll end someone trying to escape. It doesn't matter how many opportunities your attritional damage generates if your team can't capitalize on them. Convert those kills.

Bard is very effective defensively, too - and it needs to be! Silence is obviously fantastic to stop a diving dps or a powered up Black Mage, but Warden's Paen is also very powerful. I've particularly noticed a distinct uptick in my fortunes against White Mages if I make drat sure to stay apart from my team and immediately dispel a stunned teammate when the WHM inevitably LBs the point. Bard is an attritional character - even it's LB buffs teammates over time rather than providing an instant swing - so it's paramount to prevent the enemy team from making big plays while your machine grinds them down.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DrakePegasus posted:

A. It could be lip service to appease SE investors and keep his position secure.

B. He could personally be invested in NFTs

Or C. He’s an out-of-touch businessman.

Probably some combination of these along with a little bit of "well, we'll be the ones to get this right!"

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Counterpoint: there is a subdivision of an FC-only ward on Omega that has one house in it. Square needs to open up wards 12 - 18 to individuals in the next round of bidding at the very least; possibly even wards 6 and up.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Itzena posted:

Counterpoint: there is a subdivision of an FC-only ward on Omega that has one house in it. Square needs to open up wards 12 - 18 to individuals in the next round of bidding at the very least; possibly even wards 6 and up.

Counter-counter point, I know for a fact that exact ward had plenty of bids. Dont know if the lack of claims is just due to people not building yet or if the bug is just that widespread but that reddit post was way sensationalist. Also, omega is one of the smallest servers in the entire game (outside of the new ones) so using it as an example of population is pretty silly

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Itzena posted:

They're going to open fc wards to personal ones once the FCs get there. Just chill for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If nothing else all this drama has taught us is that the housing situation in FFXIV is hosed. I mean we knew that already but it's nice to have more proof I guess?