Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I get the annoyance for folks treating lost ark as a primary game but I'm already having enough trouble this week doing the new 6.1 patch content in FF14, Glaivier release today would have been agonizing for me. So selfishly I'm fine with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Who lives in Korea that can get me these figures lol

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

SweetJahasus posted:

We get it, you work for Amazon

No I don't and there are absolutely plenty of things to be upset with Amazon at. I just don't go around in life setting dates for things that haven't been explicitly published by a company and then when a company fails to deliver on my made up date, then get mad at them...

Just saying this is a very man child way to handle things.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

I said come in! posted:

Asia gets all those cute stuff from fast food restaurants. I remember FF14 having a fat chocobo thing from KFC as well.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

good run this week.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Korean server balance patch notes:

https://m-lostark.game.onstove.com/News/TesterNotice/Views/8

Super excited about being able to counter on classes other than Gunlancer in the future!

edit: rereading it sounds like they’re just making it so that counter skills themselves don’t have to be head attacks (so you don’t lose damage using them in your normal rotation).

quote:

counter attack

Counter leveling proceeded in the direction of adding and improving counter skills to some classes.

This is to provide more than 2 types of counter skills to all classes to provide options for employing counter skills depending on job engraving, skill settings, and counter hit difficulty for each content.

In addition, we changed the standard that counter skills were applied only to head attack skills, and adjusted them together so that head and back attack skills can be set according to each class and skill characteristics regardless of whether it is a counter or not.

We hope that this adjustment will improve the combat experience of classes that have been uncomfortable with counter skills.

Hefty fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 15, 2022

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Hefty posted:

is it worth spending photons or w/e on purple accessories? we get orange ones at 1370 right?

my stats are good from random drops, but my engravings are pretty jank. i’ve got 9 (?) points in blessed aura and awakening, and like 6 in heavy armor and the swiftness one.

it’s annoying being so close to level 2 on those main ones, but it’s not like it’s stopping me from clearing content or anything and i’m just gonna replace them in a couple weeks. on the other hand, i’ve got a shitload of the blue things. i just don’t know how/whether to budget them for stuff we’ll need in the future.

I just started running Argos yesterday and I'd just wait until then. You get class engraving drops again which is huge, and Legendarys can roll +3 so you'll probably end up ditching purple stuff pretty quick. From what I can tell peons are actually reasonably valuable so I'd save em for later when we'll need them to put together better engravings.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hefty posted:

is it worth spending photons or w/e on purple accessories? we get orange ones at 1370 right?
It's not worth spending pheons on stuff until 1370.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
I'm thinking about playing, are any of the starter packs worth it?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

koshmar posted:

They are purchasable at least until next week's patch. I'd jump in, power level to level 50 which is like 12h and see if you like it first.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

koshmar posted:

The crystal aura thing doesn't really help much until you hit 50, so I'd try the game out first before deciding. A lot of folks talked about... I think some $11 thing as being "best?"

Khorne
May 1, 2002

koshmar posted:

If you value the cosmetics, yes. If you don't, not really.

Shop stuff worth buying is the monthly sub (crystaline aura), and the ~$10 1100 royal crystal -> 2600 blue crystal pack which will let you buy a boat skin. Blue crystals can buy other stuff, including monthly subs, but you can just hold onto them at first when starting out. Character slots are also worth buying if you want more than 6 but that will come much later.

If you start now you still get the compensation pack which has a lot of resources and the penguin/dinosaur/whatever skin box.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Yeah power level to 50 is the dullest grind I have done in ages

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Junkie Disease posted:

Yeah I'm getting stuck in it too. It's fine though since it's free. I can come back to it whenever and do some more grinding for awhile and then do something else when I get bored.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Junkie Disease posted:

This game is so bizarre because I feel like in most similar games, the narrative content is the carrot and the experience/gear treadmill is usually tedious filler that's added to pad out that content.

But here, the actual gameplay mechanics (raids, islands, dungeons, guardians, etc) is the actual good stuff and the narrative content that gates your access to it ends up being the pointless filler in-between? It feels very backwards.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I stuck to the tried and true method of playing games fun throughout, this still got me to break that rule for a bit and it wasn't worth it

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Ya'll got me reconsidering, I downloaded it so I'll give it a try.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
At the end of the day this is still a KMMO grinder game. It's not going to be for a lot of people. But if it pushes the right buttons for you, like it does for me, it can be a good time.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Big accomplishments this week. I managed to hit 1385 yesterday with the injection of material.

And now I just finished enough reputation with Blackfang to get trusted and the Astray has been built. Now I finished my entire ship collection.

Mokokos sitting at 1100 and giant hearts close to completion. And then there is so much more to collect. I'm really enjoying all the side content

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I think I'd be way more frustrated with Lost Ark if it was one of my primary live service games, but with a few characters at max and the rest bonus system it's great for hopping into between releases or during content lulls in other games. the combat and collect-a-thon stuff is engaging enough to make up for a lot, to me

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

YES bread posted:

I think I'd be way more frustrated with Lost Ark if it was one of my primary live service games, but with a few characters at max and the rest bonus system it's great for hopping into between releases or during content lulls in other games. the combat and collect-a-thon stuff is engaging enough to make up for a lot, to me

This is where I'm at, it's a good side game along FFXIV.

The thing about lost ark's early game is that it's tuned where enemies die extremely fast so you're only killing a handful of mobs between quest dialogues. Combine that with the early story being generic and it's just kinda there for a bit. You don't get into truly complicated fights or the kind of huge mob smashing a la diablo 3 rifts until 50. That doesn't make it bad, but what it ends up doing is frontloading the MMO aspects and backseating some of the ARPG aspects, which is maybe not what folks expect going in.

Carbot summarizes well.

https://youtu.be/zIUPZW931Vk

Khorne
May 1, 2002

YES bread posted:

If you want to enjoy the game for a long time, this is probably the way to go.

The longer you wait to reach a given ilvl the more free things they throw at you to catch up. It's the people in a race against streamers/whales or who feel they're "behind" who risk burning out the most.

At some point the content release will be slow enough that everyone makes it. That's how KR works. Launch is an awkward phase for this game that's giving lots of people the wrong idea & resulting in some hurt feelings. The classes they release late will take 4-6 months to catchup to people's mains at the time.

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm doing this again but it's kinda way more fun when you do it 5-20 minutes per day rather than in one go. Gunslinger also helps a lot with multiple mobility abilities & a few that are fun to aim.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 16, 2022

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I said come in! posted:

There’s a set on eBay right now but it’s $450.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Astryl posted:

There’s a set on eBay right now but it’s $450.

Gah! That sucks. I want Lost Ark merch to be brought over here officially.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
The 1 to 50 isn’t that bad. Some of the leveling dungeons are quite enjoyable. Just do yourself a favor and install the Korean language pack, the American voice acting is some of the worst I’ve seen in a video game.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

jhorphear posted:

Just do yourself a favor and install the Korean language pack, the American voice acting is some of the worst I’ve seen in a video game.

Its impressively bad

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I saw some translations for the patch notes for Lost Ark KR and apparently Scrapper is getting a straight up 24% damage buff across the board. That sounds pretty amazing on one hand but on the other it also sounds like they don't know how to change the playstyle of the class to fix the problems it has so they're just going with the simplest solution.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

I saw some translations for the patch notes for Lost Ark KR and apparently Scrapper is getting a straight up 24% damage buff across the board. That sounds pretty amazing on one hand but on the other it also sounds like they don't know how to change the playstyle of the class to fix the problems it has so they're just going with the simplest solution.

They're also removing scrapper's short duration attack power buff (which was up to 34% attack power for 3s on an ability with a 5s cooldown)

It should absolutely work out to be more damage in real terms, but its very much not a straight 24% buff. Its more about making the class less fussy to maximize damage on.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

It's going to make Scrapper so nice to play. Being able to just use charging blow for mobility/shock generation and not having to weave it in constantly is so nice. I hope we actually get it in the may update in NA. There's some talk (from Roxx) that we're getting the destroyer buffs in May with the release of destroyer, and the rest of the changes as well. Also pretty excited to see what they do in the identity rework for Scrapper whenever that hits Korea.

I was going to try to swap mains to Lance MasterGlavier, but unless I really love it on release I'm sticking to Scrapper now.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sywo did an overview of the notable ptr changes, lots of classes just got some straight up damage buffs (Wardancer was another one). Soulfist sounds like they're getting all sorts of tweaks too. Destroyer is even getting a taunt.

Curious what the turnaround time is on some of those things coming west since they may be addressing class issues at gear/content tiers we won't see for a while.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tortolia posted:

Sywo did an overview of the notable ptr changes, lots of classes just got some straight up damage buffs (Wardancer was another one). Soulfist sounds like they're getting all sorts of tweaks too. Destroyer is even getting a taunt.

Curious what the turnaround time is on some of those things coming west since they may be addressing class issues at gear/content tiers we won't see for a while.
Wardancer lost self crit buff which is a pretty large loss for the meta EI build. Their goal was to nerf wardancer by a few percent damage output because it was overtuned & outperforming most other classes.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 17, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm fine with the Wardancer change because it's a little less buff upkeep

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I was starting to question whether this game would have the longevity I was looking for, since my 1396 gunlancer only gives me a few hours of "real" content to do a week. But I just dinged a pistoleer deadeye up to Tier 3 and I'm working on third and fourth alts, and with the majority of my Una's rep and collectible grinding done, I think I will have plenty of enjoyable content to do now.

One question, I was able to knowledge transfer my first alt up to Feiton, but now I will have to manually quest my second alt through the entire game in order to skip the third alt all the way to Feiton again? Is that right? If so, I better save that next boost for Destroyer.

The idea of manually completing the entire games quest line (from Vern, anyways) depresses me.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm fine with the Wardancer change because it's a little less buff upkeep

I believe the builds the top KR people have used on the PTR still need to keep WW up constantly, they just use other tripods. The ~50% atk buff is huge and even though other skills can give atk buffs nothing was enough to replace WW in their testing. It looks like the changes narrowed the gap between the two class engravings but Eso still outperforms FI at the high end.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The bigger change is on counter. It isn't a head attack skill anymore. Though, I didn't see in the initial excitement an understanding of the translation. It almost sounded like back attacks could be counters, but unsure. If you could, scrapper and other butt humping classes would have an easier time at joining in doing counters. But unsure on translation.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's going to make Scrapper so nice to play. Being able to just use charging blow for mobility/shock generation and not having to weave it in constantly is so nice. I hope we actually get it in the may update in NA. There's some talk (from Roxx) that we're getting the destroyer buffs in May with the release of destroyer, and the rest of the changes as well. Also pretty excited to see what they do in the identity rework for Scrapper whenever that hits Korea.

I was going to try to swap mains to Lance MasterGlavier, but unless I really love it on release I'm sticking to Scrapper now.

I'm sorry, destroyer buffs? I plan on going all in on gravity bro uhhhh

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

S.J. posted:

I'm sorry, destroyer buffs? I plan on going all in on gravity bro uhhhh

As I understand it, ignoring recent buffs, Destroyer is currently either the worst class in LA, or close to it. :v:

I know, I look forward making hammer-bro too.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

JuffoWup posted:

The bigger change is on counter. It isn't a head attack skill anymore. Though, I didn't see in the initial excitement an understanding of the translation. It almost sounded like back attacks could be counters, but unsure. If you could, scrapper and other butt humping classes would have an easier time at joining in doing counters. But unsure on translation.

It looks like you can still only counter the boss from the front even if the ability is tagged as a back attack.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lt. Lizard posted:

As I understand it, ignoring recent buffs, Destroyer is currently either the worst class in LA, or close to it. :v:

I know, I look forward making hammer-bro too.

Yeah I just looked up the most recent buffs translations and holy poo poo they look like some strong changes. No more skill shots and lots of attack speed buffs, armor reduction, extra gravity cores without rng or tripods, some more durability increases and a 3s taunt tripod. Hot drat. As someone who mains GL at the moment this looks hot af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estel
May 4, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

Suprfli6 posted:

It looks like you can still only counter the boss from the front even if the ability is tagged as a back attack.

Yeah, counters still can only be done from the front.

Until now all counters had the "front attack" tag so it was a loss of dps for most classes that try to stay behind the boss so most people didn't equip them unless they really needed to counter something.
Now all those skills will have the "back attack" tag so even if you are not going to counter at least is not a total loss of dps.

The destroyer buffs look amazing. My main is a Gunlancer because Monster Hunter so of course i was going to make a Destroyer even if i knew that it was only a meme class. With all the changes it can turn into one of the top classes.