Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Drakyn posted:

Probably where the peace is stored.

Polititoons: Peace is stored in the balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I know the joke is no one will honk for Carmen, but since he didn't draw any cars it looks like the joke is they picked a bad place for the sign. This is just dumb as hell.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Impenitent Thief – Supplicants eye their idol as Patel polishes her Rwanda plan"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Aivazovsky.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

the spot-on book collection is another reason we don't deserve Collins

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Knocking it out of the park, goddamn :eyepop:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Murdstone posted:

I know the joke is no one will honk for Carmen, but since he didn't draw any cars it looks like the joke is they picked a bad place for the sign. This is just dumb as hell.

Considering the usual libertarian incompetence, it's accidentally accurate.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Prickly City is a great example of what a Libertarian writer paying a Libertarian artist rock-bottom dollar produces. It is, in some ways, a perfect demonstration of why Libertarianism is a dead-end philosophical outlook- this is what the art looks like when you produce it in a fully Libertarian framework. Neither person wants to put in more than the effort that is absolutely bare-minimum required to get the other person's work across the line, and neither of them see the venture as anything more than an unsteady paycheck. Stantis didn't pay Allie to be an artist, he paid him for a few hours of extruded clip art product that could be easily re-used and recycled. He writes the first thing that seems almost like a joke (it's not funny, but it has the cadence of something that would be), paint-buckets the background, throws the characters in, and clocks out for the day. Allie doesn't even get an art credit.

This is the art they want to enforce on everyone else.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
that's actually less depressing than the alternative, which is that one or both of them genuinely believes they are making an insightful work of good art

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't think it's pedantic to say "This isn't how chess works" in a cartoon about chess.

It seems extremely pedantic, especially as the thrust of the cartoon is clear. Deliberately acting willfully dense so you can claim not to understand a cartoon because it offends your understanding of a subject is pretty much the textbook definition of pedantry.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

oobey posted:

It seems extremely pedantic, especially as the thrust of the cartoon is clear. Deliberately acting willfully dense so you can claim not to understand a cartoon because it offends your understanding of a subject is pretty much the textbook definition of pedantry.

Textbook definitions of pedantry do not tend to explore the cause or motivation thereof.

edit: I checked a couple of my dictionaries to be sure; interestingly, they use pretty different framings, but none of them require an underlying offense at the pedant's understanding of the subject.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 17, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My dictionary definition can beat up your dictionary definition.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The forum can have more than one insufferable pedant, DV. You don't need to feel so threatened about someone trying to replace you.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 17, 2022

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

So, to recap this Prickly City "storyline" so far, Carmen whines about how the Democrats and the Republicans are mean and crazy and don't get anything done. She decides to run as the Libertarian candidate, and for like ten thousand strips it's a bunch of reiterating this point, after which she does things like knock on doors and get them slammed in her face, whine about having to work, whine about needing money to run for office (lol), whine about having no money, whine about people not giving a poo poo, etc etc. Hillary Hunny Bunny and whoever the hell Kevin rabbit is supposed to be these days turn up on a billboard looking evil for who knows what reason for about...three strips, then vanish and are not brought up again. A lizard who is apparently their friend but who the hell knows who he is, not me, is running against them. Oh noes.

Then Putin snake shows up out of loving nowhere and bombs their campaign headquarters, fucks off, and they whine about how he's derailed their campaign/storyline (get hosed forever, Stantis, holy poo poo), after which their campaign headquarters are inexplicably intact again and this is forgotten about, except for one of the random Sunday strips that are unattached to any storyline where Carmen and Winslow look sad in a vague sort of way. There's some more whining about having to work and needing money. Libertarian debates occur, in which Carmen continues her campaign strategy of saying absolutely nothing that might be interpreted as some sort of political position (though she briefly tries not to openly agree with the lizard about how government doesn't work). Carmen thinks she did a great job. Time for the primaries! Let's try to drum up support by standing with a sign on an empty road.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

oobey posted:

Deliberately acting willfully dense so you can claim not to understand a cartoon

Except I wasn't doing that, I genuinely didn't understand it. I was confused as hell. I've said many times that I'm very dumb, because I am. That's why I was like "What?" because my first thought was "Ukraine sure as hell didn't defeat Russia, but that's the only meaning I can get from this cartoon, I am pretty stupid though so I must be missing something obvious."

But no, turns out Bennett just loving sucks and made a lovely metaphor. Doesn't make me any less of a moron but I still feel justified in my initial confusion over it.

kartikeya posted:

SThen Putin snake shows up out of loving nowhere and bombs their campaign headquarters, fucks off, and they whine about how he's derailed their campaign/storyline (get hosed forever, Stantis, holy poo poo), after which their campaign headquarters are inexplicably intact again and this is forgotten about

This was my favorite part, I don't know if he forgot his own storyline, or if it was supposed to be a new HQ but Allie was like "gently caress that I'm not drawing anything new."

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

John Deering

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Rob Rogers

Gary Varvel

Tony Branco

quote:

Media Protection Program: The mainstream media continue to protect Left-wing politicians constantly deflecting our attention to other things.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Hillary Clinton exists in a meaningless empty void along with the shredded remains of a campaign that's six years irrelevant, and attention should be diverted to far more important, far more urgent matters. AGC.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nameless Pete posted:

The forum can have more than one insufferable pedant, DV. You don't need to feel so threatened about someone trying to replace you.

:thejoke:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

At this point we need a Kellies category for right-wing No Context B-But Hillary Clinton cartoons like this. Maybe call it Der ewige Hillary.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

:siren:You have less than a week left to vote in the 2021 Kellies!:siren:

Please go to the voting thread to see the nominees and cast your votes. Will Ramirez win worst overall for a white-hot racist cartoon for yet another year?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst Label

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

This is somehow worse than swapping out similar looking Cyrillic letters. Maybe just on account of the novelty

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Hmm yes elderly people never worked minimum wage jobs to survive before Biden's presidency.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Except I wasn't doing that, I genuinely didn't understand it. I was confused as hell. I've said many times that I'm very dumb, because I am. That's why I was like "What?" because my first thought was "Ukraine sure as hell didn't defeat Russia,
Maybe read the news once in a while? Russia suffered a crushing defeat in the battle of Kyiv and retreated from all their northern gains. To add insult to injury, Ukraine just sank the Black Sea Flagship.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

No, no, swamp monsters dot news is news about swamp monsters.
Just like flag and cross dot com is news about white supremacy.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies nomination: Best edit. (Edit of this, in case that makes award season easier)

Skios fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 17, 2022

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"The Tory party flounders as it rots from both ends – It’s the return of the nasty party as Boris Johnson decides to send asylum seekers to Rwanda and partygate rolls on"

Sunday Telegraph:

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

Boris Johnson's plan to send asylum seekers 4,000 miles to Rwanda is ILLEGAL, says UN: Refugee agency slams proposals as 'egregious breach of international law' and 'really unacceptable'

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It never fails. All you need is a news item that in some way, shape, or form concerns Africa, and Mac produced something breathtakingly racist like clockwork.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DalaranJ posted:

"This is SwampMonsters.news - news by swamp monsters, for swamp monsters. We are America's #1 Swamp Monster news source!"

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

I dont know posted:

It never fails. All you need is a news item that in some way, shape, or form concerns Africa, and Mac produced something breathtakingly racist like clockwork.

I can understand your confusion but I think that's a drawing of a gorilla, not what Mac thinks Rwandans look like.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Maybe read the news once in a while? Russia suffered a crushing defeat in the battle of Kyiv and retreated from all their northern gains. To add insult to injury, Ukraine just sank the Black Sea Flagship.

The problem is that this isn't the same as completely and utterly defeating Russia, as noted by the fact that Russia is now sending an even larger force. I'm well aware Ukraine has had some great victories, but they still haven't won until Putin gives up (or the Russian government is disbanded). Since neither of those happened, that's why I was confused, since that would be necessary for a "checkmate."

Again, I'm stupid, I admit this, but I don't think its hard to see how I would be confused by a cartoon saying "Ukraine has completely defeated Russia" when they have not in fact completely defeated Russia.

DalaranJ posted:

Still, nothing will ever top comically incorrect dot com.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nenonen posted:

"This is SwampMonsters.news - news by swamp monsters, for swamp monsters. We are America's #1 Swamp Monster news source!"

Finally, a space online where I can conspire with my fellow deep state agents to overthrow God and Democracy

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

The problem is that this isn't the same as completely and utterly defeating Russia, as noted by the fact that Russia is now sending an even larger force. I'm well aware Ukraine has had some great victories, but they still haven't won until Putin gives up (or the Russian government is disbanded). Since neither of those happened, that's why I was confused, since that would be necessary for a "checkmate."

What larger force.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

NRVNQSR posted:

I can understand your confusion but I think that's a drawing of a gorilla, not what Mac thinks Rwandans look like.

Maybe I misread it uncharitably given his past cartoons, but I interpreted Mac's drawing of a Gorilla in front of a sign labeled "Rwanda-UK Border Control" as implying the gorilla is the border control agent.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

What larger force.

I had heard that Russia was sending another convoy a few miles long towards Ukraine, which had actual veteran soldiers, and that at the very least the convoy had been confirmed by satellite imagery. Admittedly that could have been Russian propaganda, since I didn't verify the source.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I had heard that Russia was sending another convoy a few miles long towards Ukraine, which had actual veteran soldiers, and that at the very least the convoy had been confirmed by satellite imagery. Admittedly that could have been Russian propaganda, since I didn't verify the source.

Most of the major veteran army forces maintained by Russia were already deployed to Ukraine, and have suffered sufficient losses to lose unit cohesion. The recent multi-mile convoy has already been the subject of repeated, severe drone and missile attacks, the same as the last time it was attempted. It has reached the point where Russia would need to perform a general mobilization (politically disastrous) or rely heavily on minimally trained conscripts to flesh out its forces, and this is after dropping several axes of attack.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

I dont know posted:

A lot of cartoonists in this thread have political ideas straight out of the 1950s, but he's the only one that produces cartoons that could have come straight out of the old joke books my parents kept in the bathroom next to the stack of Donald Duck comics.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

Neither major party is running strongly on policies in this election (rather predictably given the government won with no policies last time, a policy platform is now a negative in an Australian election campaign).

Knight 1:

Knight 2:

Border protection in spotlight after Albanese said he favours boat turnbacks over offshore detention (SMH).

Knight 3:

Leak, Son of Leak:

The Labor focus in the first week was on health: Labor's $135 million plan to 'strengthen Medicare' as Liberals home in on Australia's fuel supply (SBS).

Lethbridge:

With most of the media focusing on Anthony Albanese's gaffes as the key issue of the election the polls are tightening one week in.

Herbert:

Scott Morrison faces Liberal mutiny over Warringah candidate Katherine Deves’ trans views (Guardian). Morrison hand picked the candidate for Tony Abbott's old seat whose political history apparently is entirely transphobic views. Given said seat kicked out Abbott because they thought he was too conservative it means that seat is almost certainly lost and the only apparent reason for picking Deves is to inject transphobia as a topic into the election campaign.

Downes:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NRVNQSR posted:

Yes. It's a gorilla being a gorilla and doing gorilla things (OK, gorillas don't swing from trees but y'know). It's just meant to be a gorilla.

I mean Mac sucks and is a racist but this isn't an example of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I just checked and Gorillas are even a part of the fauna of Rwanda. Though I suspect that's more luck than research