Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dazzle camo would be fun yeah, though I think the minis are too small for even exaggerated flags. I did find this link for ship colors which might help. I think one big challenge is gonna be selecting colors (especially for infantry) that won't get confused with other factions and won't clash with the base colors the game uses (US olive green, UK khaki, France dark blue, Italy light blue, Russia white, Germany dark grey, Austria dark red, Ottomans light red.) Not an expert but it seems Germans and Austrians in particular had pretty similar uniforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
What are people's preferred scales for Napoleonics? Thinking of getting armies for General de Armee or Blucher but not sure whether 6mm, 10mm or 15mm is the way to go (not a fan of using 4 28mm guys to represent a brigade like some people do)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I don't currently do Napoleonics, but you'd have far easier time getting me excited about 6mm than 15mm.

This goes for a lot of periods.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

What are people's preferred scales for Napoleonics? Thinking of getting armies for General de Armee or Blucher but not sure whether 6mm, 10mm or 15mm is the way to go (not a fan of using 4 28mm guys to represent a brigade like some people do)

I think you should do some busts, that way you can really dig in to the art side of the project. Then have a bunch of little tiny 6mm or smaller for gaming. I think going smaller than 28mm really minimises the art aspect of the hobby and is a weird mix. Like 15mm is big enough to have some details but not quite enough to make really engaging art. So go smaller than 15mm for playing. 28mm or bigger for actual art.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've got three friends who started interest in Napoleonics this year. They are doing 10mm paper stand-ups, 10mm 3D prints, 6mm 3D prints, and 28mm plastics. None of them are doing anyone else's scale.

I've also started 28mm plastic, but now I feel like just saying gently caress it and printing a bunch of resin in Warlord's weird scale because I like it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

I've got three friends who started interest in Napoleonics this year. They are doing 10mm paper stand-ups, 10mm 3D prints, 6mm 3D prints, and 28mm plastics. None of them are doing anyone else's scale.

I've also started 28mm plastic, but now I feel like just saying gently caress it and printing a bunch of resin in Warlord's weird scale because I like it.
Go retro 20mm just to be that guy :agesilaus:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

28mm can be fun, just solely for the Perry’s absolutely lovely range. 15mm is still too big, I think an awkward point between really highly detailed models and having lots of men on the board. I don’t think 50 men in a unit looks substantially better than 30, so if you want mass battles it’s better to commit to truly mass battles.

6mm is widespread where I am, but having recently discovered magister militum’s 3mm napoleonics that’s where the money is imo. Absolutely beautiful.

Of course the real answer is do wooden blocks and play at Corps level, 1 to 1 Austerlitz and all that.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Warlord's Epic Waterloo stuff looks awesome at ~15mm; I haven't started any of the ACW stuff I bought, but I'd like to get a little of the Waterloo stuff just for hobby/display

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
As someone currently playing larger games with 28mm, I think 6mm or smaller is a great option if you want to a) be able to play without painting for 2-3 years, and b) be able to fit a medium sized game one anything smaller than a 6' times 8' table.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

6mm is good because you don't need a entire room dedicated to tiny mans to play a game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey about to start on painting those WW1 minis, but I can't decide on a scheme for the Ottomans that's distinct from British khaki and Russian green/brown without also being white (the Russian faction color)- anyone have any advice?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

6mm is good because you don't need a entire room dedicated to tiny mans to play a game.

I'm reorganizing my entire minis collection because I have a baby on the way real soon. Today I moved eight banana boxes of 28mm minis to the attic. I also moved several 15mm and 6mm armies, as well as my sizeable collections of unpainted 6mm samurai and nappy to the attic. All my 15mm and 6mm minis stuff fit in a single banana box, and that box also included a copy of the Samurai Battles board game.

Now, I surely collect more 28mm than 6mm, but the difference in storage space an army takes depending on scale is very very very hard to overestimate.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

6mm is a weasel scale, go three and experience true Napoleon energy

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

lenoon posted:

6mm is a weasel scale, go three and experience true Napoleon energy

3mm sounds like a cop out for those unwilling to go to 1mm

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

StashAugustine posted:

Hey about to start on painting those WW1 minis, but I can't decide on a scheme for the Ottomans that's distinct from British khaki and Russian green/brown without also being white (the Russian faction color)- anyone have any advice?

You could go with a more green tunic as pictured here. (source: https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/ww1-ottoman-army-uniforms/)

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

3mm sounds like a cop out for those unwilling to go to 1mm

It’s true, and now I feel ashamed

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

StashAugustine posted:

Here's a whole big ol' painting guide: link

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

lenoon posted:

6mm is widespread where I am, but having recently discovered magister militum’s 3mm napoleonics that’s where the money is imo. Absolutely beautiful.

Wow those are nice, I'm deathly afraid I need to put together a 3mm army or four...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ospray Games, are you ok?

I ordered an army book for the British Army Bolt Actio list and every second page was white. They sent a replacement.

I ordered a book on Infantry anti-tank tactics and they sent it with the cover of Battalion and Company level infantry tactics but the book inside is the right one.

I feel like this is the start of a stand up comedy routine or I need to be able to read the secret messages someone is trying to smuggle through customs and I've been mixed up with someone else.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Back when Flames of War did the Market Garden stuff for 3rd edition they neglected to make sure their printers had all the fonts required for their work, and lots of pages had little text boxes that were just [][][][][][][][][][][][]. Luckily none of it rules text at least.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting ready to start painting up some Knights, partly because I just picked up the Baron's War book and partly because I've been watching old movies like Knights of the Round Table. Does anyone know of any books of historical heraldry & coat of arms?

I already use Wappenwiki pretty extensively and started looking at Wikipedia for articles like the Coat of Arms of the Constituent Lands of the Austrian Empire but was wondering if there's any book sources out there that aren't just "make your own heraldry!" or "why did knights use coat of arms" K-12 books.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm getting ready to start painting up some Knights, partly because I just picked up the Baron's War book and partly because I've been watching old movies like Knights of the Round Table. Does anyone know of any books of historical heraldry & coat of arms?

I already use Wappenwiki pretty extensively and started looking at Wikipedia for articles like the Coat of Arms of the Constituent Lands of the Austrian Empire but was wondering if there's any book sources out there that aren't just "make your own heraldry!" or "why did knights use coat of arms" K-12 books.

Is this something that you might find useful? I think it might be more generic.

https://ospreypublishing.com/medieval-heraldry-35177

This looks like it might be good as well : https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Boo...la-760912127232

Are you looking for a specific house/dynasty or just general info?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

When my grandad died he left me his The Art of Heraldry which is probably THE work on it if you want to go deep. It’s illustrated and probably Old enough to be public domain

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Perfect, I ordered those and a few more online. If these 5 books don't answer my quetsions, nothing will.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Perfect, I ordered those and a few more online. If these 5 books don't answer my quetsions, nothing will.

Historicals: "I only ordered five reference books for painting my lead barbies, any more recommendations?"

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Wikipedia (a primary source) lists the "Napoleonic Wars" go through til ~1815. The War of 1812 took place in...around that time. Ish.

Would Warlord's Epic Napoleonic/Waterloo British troops match/make sense for British/Canadian troops for the War of 1812?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

Historicals: "I only ordered five reference books for painting my lead barbies, any more recommendations?"

sounds like a good thread title to me

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Wikipedia (a primary source) lists the "Napoleonic Wars" go through til ~1815. The War of 1812 took place in...around that time. Ish.

Would Warlord's Epic Napoleonic/Waterloo British troops match/make sense for British/Canadian troops for the War of 1812?

Yeah should work. Uniforms look identical to my slightly practiced eye. Sure there were points of difference for the true grog to spot but can’t see any

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lenoon posted:

Yeah should work. Uniforms look identical to my slightly practiced eye. Sure there were points of difference for the true grog to spot but can’t see any

did u count the buttons tho

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

lenoon posted:

Word, thank you! Gonna pick up that starter I think.

Edit:

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

did u count the buttons tho

I am actually slightly scared of this

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Word, thank you! Gonna pick up that starter I think.

Edit:

I am actually slightly scared of this

Afaik stovepipe shako was more common in north america while I assume the waterloo stuff is all belgic shako, but belgic shakos existed in NA too. And it’s a tiny difference at that scale.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The main difference seems to be more red? I don’t think anyone’s going to button count on 15mm plastics, the french ones I got are barely accurate enough to be what they describe. The 15mm metal individual based guys are the button counters. Well, them and the 54mm guys. And the 28mm of course. Thinking about it, the 10mm 6mm and 3mm as well

Edit: some modelling putty would sort the shakos our no problem

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah if you’re sweating it over shakos in 12mm you might need to chill a bit, unless it is for your own OCD tendencies.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
You're all totally right - I don't think I'd model additional hat if they're "close enough", but I love knowing those differences and at least being able to speak to them.

Realistically the only non-warhammer mini games I play are ones where I own both armies and am demoing for friends, who'll be excited either way.

They'd better be excited

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

lilljonas posted:

Too long, but I asked for something similar

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

lenoon posted:

When my grandad died he left me his The Art of Heraldry which is probably THE work on it if you want to go deep. It’s illustrated and probably Old enough to be public domain

It is in fact public domain, which is almost as cool as having an old print copy

https://archive.org/details/artofheraldryenc00foxd/mode/2up

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Too Fat Lardies did a full AP on Strength & Honor. Seven videos covering all the force selection, setup, command board allocation, and then the actual game starting at #5. The game itself looks very promising, I think there's a good balance of uncertainty and difficult choices to make for a fun experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYJZL2G35I

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Too Fat Lardies did a full AP on Strength & Honor. Seven videos covering all the force selection, setup, command board allocation, and then the actual game starting at #5. The game itself looks very promising, I think there's a good balance of uncertainty and difficult choices to make for a fun experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYJZL2G35I

Looks like a neat game, but at that scale I almost think chits and counters are better?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

It is in fact public domain, which is almost as cool as having an old print copy

https://archive.org/details/artofheraldryenc00foxd/mode/2up

Oh man, hell yeah. The color plates are beautiful!

I got a bit inpatient and started painting Knights anyway. Here's my first dude so far.

Inspired by the House of Vukotić from Bosnia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, so to those who play Bolt Action - what point total do you think you can comfortably go up to? I've played a bunch of 1000pt games and a couple of days ago played a 1250pt game, which seemed just as smooth to play. (I also won! I've been incredibly lucky in BA. 6/6 wins so far - although all that means is that I'm about due for a crushing loss! :v: )

But anyway, as I've been expanding my Alpini force a bit over the last 6-9 months I've been thinking about how far I can take my force. I think with what I currently have* I can easily create a 2000pt force (a standard reinforced infantry platoon accompanied by a tank platoon with my various piddly Italian vehicles) and with the upcoming cavalry, I can probably stretch it out to being 2200pts.
So, how feasible is this? Would that be OK, or...well, a little too unwieldy? I guess it might require splitting forces into two waves, and maybe adding in an extra turn or something. I'm not sure though, so I'm very much open to opinions, on it all!

* I currently have four squads of eight vets, an M15/42, L6/40 three L3/35s, an AS42 Sahariana car, a light mortar, medium mortar, medium howitzer, light AT team, sniper team, AT rifle team, two S37 armoured transports, an arty observer and most recently a ten man Blackshirt squad, to use as a disposable 'short straw' building-/tank-assault team in large-scale games, so my Alpini won't need to risk themselves too much. Better to let some pro-Mussolini chumps die instead of vet soldiers, right? :v: I'm also waiting for some bits to arrive so I can build an eight man mounted recon squad)