Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

R. Guyovich posted:

Trotsky was Huey Emmerich but with kind of a debatelord edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

First, let us be clear: Given your anti-Marxist stance, meaning you probably either adhere to some kind of center-left (e.g., social democracy) or ultra-left (e.g., anarchism) tendency, both of which are opportunist and utopian—that is, counterrevolutionary—you are a fauxgressive (pseudoleftist). By no means are you a genuine left-winger.

Second, your outright rejection of my position due to its Marxist basis is a genetic fallacy. Clearly, the source of some claim or argument has no necessary bearing on its veracity or strength. Instead, whether claims are false, or arguments are strong, depends on their actual content.

Third, keep in mind that any "strides" by unions that you have in mind have not in the least compensated for their decades of cuts, concessions, takebacks, sellouts, or inflation. Evidently, you hyperfocus on individual union "gains" while failing to consider their broader historical and economic context.

Finally, as I told some other snobby fauxgressive who similarly resorted to the antidemocratic (read: right-wing) stonewalling tactic:

Given your need to rely on such unserious tactics in debate, do you honestly expect anyone to take you or anything you say seriously?

:dogstare:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is that poster ok

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lmao love you guys

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is that poster ok

p funny psychosis posting, but imho watch out. he might take people laughing at him as licence to poo poo his pants

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

First, let us be clear: Given your anti-Marxist stance, meaning you probably either adhere to some kind of center-left (e.g., social democracy) or ultra-left (e.g., anarchism) tendency, both of which are opportunist and utopian—that is, counterrevolutionary—you are a fauxgressive (pseudoleftist). By no means are you a genuine left-winger.

Second, your outright rejection of my position due to its Marxist basis is a genetic fallacy. Clearly, the source of some claim or argument has no necessary bearing on its veracity or strength. Instead, whether claims are false, or arguments are strong, depends on their actual content.

Third, keep in mind that any "strides" by unions that you have in mind have not in the least compensated for their decades of cuts, concessions, takebacks, sellouts, or inflation. Evidently, you hyperfocus on individual union "gains" while failing to consider their broader historical and economic context.

Finally, as I told some other snobby fauxgressive who similarly resorted to the antidemocratic (read: right-wing) stonewalling tactic:

Given your need to rely on such unserious tactics in debate, do you honestly expect anyone to take you or anything you say seriously?

Only a trot would write something like this

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I thought it was a syq

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
tough to tell with mk

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My contribution to the discussion is that Joseph Scalice takes every opportunity to try and smear the Philippine left with attacks that barely have any daylight with the kind of poo poo that gets spewed by the worst of our reactionaries, so while I'm willing to grant that I probably shouldn't consider him to representative of all Trotskyists, I do wish Joseph Scalice would instead get Steve Scalise'd

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I don't know anything about Trotsky and refuse to learn (boring) but a big wb to apropos

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

back in the day you could talk to a dude who makes cars and say "dude, you make cars all day, can you afford one?" there was leverage for labor in the situation. now though, now you talk to someone and you ask them what they make and they will tell you nothing and if you ask them is they can afford nothing, they will simply tell you "yes."

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Zodium posted:

hmm, i guess i'm a trot.

same

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
or a tankie. really just depends on my mood.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
the main unifying element across disparate trot organizations is parroting the state department line on every country not run by white people

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

the main unifying element across disparate trot organizations is parroting the state department line on every country not run by white people

youre a member of dsa who very famously cant keep its members from giving billions of dollars of missiles to an apartheid regime. im a member too and i get that dsa is split over it and prolly you and i agree at least on how that whole deal should be handled but lol have some self awareness

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
again just totally out of touch with reality lol

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

apropos to nothing posted:

youre a member of dsa who very famously cant keep its members from giving billions of dollars of missiles to an apartheid regime. im a member too and i get that dsa is split over it and prolly you and i agree at least on how that whole deal should be handled but lol have some self awareness

this seems like a non sequitor. the dsa has no particular membership requirements or mandatory line, which is part of why it's both inherited and attracts a lot of trots. it tends to be those trots who, say, pen editorials calling for us to send arms to ukraine, or salivate over the balkanization of china. you seem to be deliberately confusing a political tendency with a named organization despite having drawn a line between the two like one page prior

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

you haven't even contradicted me there because israel IS run by and for white people!!! you can safely both-sides israel and hamas without at all upsetting the CIA

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
oh here’s a useful conversation that is definitely going to result in funny jokes

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

you seem to be deliberately confusing a political tendency with a named organization despite having drawn a line between the two like one page prior

Ferrinus posted:

you literally said every trotskyist organizations despite whatever differences they have shares this in common lol

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
i did not say you are a loving moron, i merely stated that everyone who posts in this thread is a loving moron. learn to think.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ferrinus posted:

you haven't even contradicted me there because israel IS run by and for white people!!! you can safely both-sides israel and hamas without at all upsetting the CIA

oh god not this loving guy again

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVkUvmDQ3HY

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ferrinus posted:

this seems like a non sequitor. the dsa has no particular membership requirements or mandatory line

thx for the concise explanation of why the dsa is useless

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

apropos to nothing posted:

you literally said every trotskyist organizations despite whatever differences they have shares this in common lol

yes, i did. and you responded to me by pointing to... an internal disagreement in a not-completely-trotskyist organization. doesn't really make sense

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

yes, i did. and you responded to me by pointing to... an internal disagreement in a not-completely-trotskyist organization. doesn't really make sense

No True Trotskyist.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

My spouse is turning the dog into a liberal by leaving NPR on when we leave the house. Please advise.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

My spouse is turning the dog into a liberal by leaving NPR on when we leave the house. Please advise.

*eyes narrow* this is dangerously close to suggesting they're not a good dog...

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ferrinus posted:

you talk like ben shapiro stfu

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Switch it out with David Harvey's lectures on Das Kapital

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
All of you are liberals and wreckers if you don't follow my tendency, anarch@-tankie-Maoist-Trotskism

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Switch it out with David Harvey's lectures on Das Kapital

This crazy son of a bitch just jumps right from like 1/3rd of the way through vol II to the end of Vol III. Very confusing, but maybe smart bc most of volume 2 turned out to be a dud. Just start III this week and already seems like its exploring much more interesting ideas. Maybe after this I'll read 18th Brumaire since it seems neat.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In Training posted:

This crazy son of a bitch just jumps right from like 1/3rd of the way through vol II to the end of Vol III. Very confusing, but maybe smart bc most of volume 2 turned out to be a dud. Just start III this week and already seems like its exploring much more interesting ideas. Maybe after this I'll read 18th Brumaire since it seems neat.

18th brumaire requires you to at least pretend to know way too much about mid 19c french politics but if you can get past that it's fantastic

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

In Training posted:

hell, it's a fun time to write completely pointless theoretical contemplations, but when the point is to change peoples way of seeing the world, some editing out of the less important bits is what you want. i guess engels was just a bit too much of nerd to be an editor, but i suppose the middle of the book is always where the boring bits about minutiae are put

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lollontee posted:

hell, it's a fun time to write completely pointless theoretical contemplations, but when the point is to change peoples way of seeing the world, some editing out of the less important bits is what you want. i guess engels was just a bit too much of nerd to be an editor, but i suppose the middle of the book is always where the boring bits about minutiae are put

my eyes so completely glazed for the huge chunk of pt II that's just like. 3/16ths of capital put forth but industrialist A comes from the 1/8th of Surplus Value produced by industrialists B. And after 80 pages of this Engels drops a footnote that's like "almost all of this math was wrong but I left it in bc I trust my friend and hopefully somebody found something useful here" lol. Lead with that please!

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

im a fartxist

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

In Training posted:

my eyes so completely glazed for the huge chunk of pt II that's just like. 3/16ths of capital put forth but industrialist A comes from the 1/8th of Surplus Value produced by industrialists B. And after 80 pages of this Engels drops a footnote that's like "almost all of this math was wrong but I left it in bc I trust my friend and hopefully somebody found something useful here" lol. Lead with that please!

:hmmyes: lol

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the shoddy ocr job on the budget edition of abcs of communism swapped a bunch of 1s and 7s and 9s. I'm weary of the figures and math going into a piece of propaganda in the first place and that absolutely soured me

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
18th brumaire was a farce but the first 17 were fine imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Ferrinus posted:

this seems like a non sequitor. the dsa has no particular membership requirements or mandatory line, which is part of why it's both inherited and attracts a lot of trots. it tends to be those trots who, say, pen editorials calling for us to send arms to ukraine, or salivate over the balkanization of china. you seem to be deliberately confusing a political tendency with a named organization despite having drawn a line between the two like one page prior
dsa has one membership requirement in fact, and we see in dsa what happens when just banning demcent isn't stupid enough for you: you have to ban demcent and carve out an unofficial exception for trots