Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Everyone should drive buses its really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I drove for maybe a year and a half when I was 17/18 and had minor crashes roughly every four months before my car got stolen, which felt like a sign.

I just used to daydream. No matter how hard I tried, I'd wind up following some interesting tangent in my head and drift off. Then brake a little too late to save someone's bodywork.

I don't mind not driving because it's cheaper, I won't kill anyone (that way, anyway), and it's better for the environment. But my god, train fares should be a quarter of what they are. I'd do so much travelling if it wasn't so ruinously expensive. I'd feel so much more free

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
drink driving is really common in ireland, especially in rural parts because there is no other way to get home from pub

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
mind in said rural parts you are unlikely to pass another car on the road at night and if you do the roads are so narrow that someone has to pull over and stop anyway

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Barry Foster posted:

I just used to daydream. No matter how hard I tried, I'd wind up following some interesting tangent in my head and drift off. Then brake a little too late to save someone's having to read it.

See this is how I post rather than drive

Mebh
May 10, 2010

That's how I worry I'll drive. ADHD fun. When I'm on my scooter or bike it doesn't happen though, possibly as I'm in the wind and constantly reminded. Inside a nice, warm car I'm not sure though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bessantj posted:

All this talk of learning to drive. I haven't driven for nearly a decade but really want to get back into it. Has anyone ever had some type of refresher lesson to get their knowledge/confidence back up?

My wife did that after a decade of not driving. Would very much recommend.

happyhippy posted:

Driving chat. I said earlier I won't ever drive probably.
Forgot to mention I used to help others practice for their driving tests, especially the hazard perception test, which you can check out here:

https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/free-practice-tests/hazard-perception-test/

Had this couple in one time, husband and wife, and they used all the tests we had.
Then when Im closing, they left and I saw them get into a car that was parked outside and they left.
Mentioned it to my mum, she said the rumor was that they both lost their licence for repeated drunk driving, hence why they had to do it again.
The WTF was why they were still driving.

Im pretty sure theres a statistic around that something like 80% of disqualified drivers still use their car at least once during the period they're banned. The likelihood of getting caught is so minuscule these days and you still occasionally hear about people who've driven without a licence for 40 odd years.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 17, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Someone yesterday was talking about the Fens and the draining of them, anyone able to recommend a decent book about that? One of my friends partners was talking about it a few weeks ago and it was pretty interesting and something I'd somehow managed to get to 34 without ever really hearing about, reading the post about it reminded me that I'd quite like to learn more about it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Funnily enough I’ve found the opposite. They’re a desirable premium brand so a lot of people buy them who can’t really afford them, so skimp on maintenance and parts as much as possible.

A telltale sign is tyres. Few red flags are bigger than a really expensive BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Jaguar/Range Rover on the cheapest, nastiest tyres available.

Huh maybe I've been lucky - though I do know my way around a car somewhat and know the things to check for to tell if they're in good shape or not (which is a very good thing to learn - there are plenty of checklists etc. online you can go through on your phone when you view a car). My Dad has always done the same thing, with Audis, for years - which is partly why I've also bought VW/Audis because I know that if I have any problems he'll generally be able to give me tips on how to fix them. He had one that I think he paid ~£2k for when it had done about 100k miles and he made it last til it had done 250k. He does do all of his own maintenance though as he qualified as an agricultural mechanic when he was younger before moving into something completely different.

The best car I've ever had was a Mk.3 VW Polo which I bought for £800 and I think lasted me for 4-5 years with only about the same again in maintenance costs over that whole time.

TBF I did have one Golf explode on me but that was the cheapest one I ever bought (£450) and I could tell it was hosed, but I was a broke student at the time and desperate.

Good point about the tyres though yeah. Also generally if a car is in bad cosmetic shape (like if it's had a small crash or scrape etc. that hasn't been repaired), it probably has a bunch of mechanical stuff wrong with it too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

drink driving is really common in ireland, especially in rural parts because there is no other way to get home from pub

They should do the American thing and just drive a lawnmower or other not-a-car that you can drive without a license. The French used to have the VSP (voiture sans permis - literally "car without license") which was basically a four-wheeled moped, limited to 30 mph and 300 kg, that filled the same niche too. Stupidly though they now require both a license and big-car safety levels which is really missing the point. Instead they should go back to the origins of the VSP and make a car that's basically guaranteed to injure the driver as much as any pedestrian they happen to hit, like this:

specifically for getting back from the pub purposes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure there is a tech startup somewhere that would build you an electric iron maiden that you drive by pissing in the preferred direction.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The French used to have the VSP (voiture sans permis - literally "car without license") which was basically a four-wheeled moped, limited to 30 mph and 300 kg, that filled the same niche too. Stupidly though they now require both a license and big-car safety levels which is really missing the point.

Pretty sure french still have this. The cars definitely still exist, you can drive them from 14 but need to do like a CBT in a carpark. If youre older I think you can just drive them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Pretty sure french still have this. The cars definitely still exist, you can drive them from 14 but need to do like a CBT in a carpark. If youre older I think you can just drive them.

Nah you need a B1 license (quad bike/trike) for them now.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah you need a B1 license (quad bike/trike) for them now.

Can you get that at 14? The rules seem contradictory and I wonder if anyone told all the rural little old ladies still using them?

No I don't think you need a B license.

the closest thing i could find posted:

Those born before the 1st of January 1988 do not require a road safety certificate (BSR or "Brevet de Sécurité Routière") nor a driving licence to drive a "no licence" car in France.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 17, 2022

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

Someone yesterday was talking about the Fens and the draining of them, anyone able to recommend a decent book about that? One of my friends partners was talking about it a few weeks ago and it was pretty interesting and something I'd somehow managed to get to 34 without ever really hearing about, reading the post about it reminded me that I'd quite like to learn more about it.

That someone was me: The three books I've read on the subject are :

The Fens: Discovering England's Ancient Depths by Francis Pryor (a name probably familiar to a fair few people itt - I seem to remember there being a staggering number of archaeologists among us...?)

From Punt to Plow: A History of The Fens by Rex Sly, who has written a few other local/family histories of the region.

The Draining of The Fens: Projectors, Popular Politics and State Building in Early Modern England by Eric Ash - dry (haha!) but very comprehensive and gets into the political and birth-pangs-of-capitalism side of it.

Imperial Mud: The Fight for The Fens by James Boyce came out a couple of years ago and was very well received - it's been on my 'to buy' list. Concentrates on the Fen Tigers and other resistance movements.

The Lost Fens: England's Greatest Ecological Disaster by Ian Rotherham is also on my reading list. The angle of that one is pretty self explanatory.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They should do the American thing and just drive a lawnmower or other not-a-car that you can drive without a license. The French used to have the VSP (voiture sans permis - literally "car without license") which was basically a four-wheeled moped, limited to 30 mph and 300 kg, that filled the same niche too.

I remember seeing this things when on holiday in southern France as a kid in the 1980s:

They were all driven by people who were some combination of [very old] [very poor vision] [very arthritic] [hard of hearing] [drunk] [technologically inept to the point where even a Citroen 2CV was too much for them] so they were a complete menace and the procedure if you saw one swerving its way along the road towards you, carrying its owner on the way back from a very well-lubricated pétanque match in the next village over was to get as far into the verge or hedge as possible until it had clattered past. In theory they could also be driven by young teenagers who weren't yet eligible for a car license but, in the bit of France we went to at least, the twist-and-go scooter had become the vehicle of choice (or occasionally those weird Solex bicycles with a tiny two-stroke engine driving the front tyre via a friction wheel). I never saw a VSP driven by anyone not old enough to personally remember the Liberation of Paris.

Hilariously the main builder of VSPs was Ligier, which was also an F1 constructor at the time.

Edit: Germany still has its 'L5E' license category, whereby you can have a FWD supermini converted to a strange quasi-three wheeler with the rear wheels moved close together at the back and the ECU reprogrammed to limit the power output to 20bhp and then you can drive it at 16. Once you've passed the full test you have the car 'de-converted'.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/bqrxygl/

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 17, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

CBT in a carpark

The French are a depraved people

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there some sort of group out there telling pensioners that they should drive their mobility scooters on the road?

I once saw an old geezer going round the roundabouts near coxhoe on one of them, gently caress knows where he was trying to go and I still occasionally run across the odd one doing it at home too.

They vary between driving it right down the road, driving it on the side of the road like a cyclist, or driving it into oncoming traffic like a pedestrian.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Crankit posted:

Everyone should drive buses its really fun.

One of the reasons I want to get back into driving is so work will put me down as a driver and i can drive the transit vans around.

serious gaylord posted:

My wife did that after a decade of not driving. Would very much recommend.

Thanks for the reply, it's good to hear that it works.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Is there some sort of group out there telling pensioners that they should drive their mobility scooters on the road?

Yes. The government.

Road legal class 3 mobility scooters are a thing, and they have just as much right to be on the road as anyone else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've seen the ones that are like a tiny car which makes sense, I was more referring to the ones that go about 5mph.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I've seen the ones that are like a tiny car which makes sense, I was more referring to the ones that go about 5mph.
Class 3 mobility scooters do a max of 8mph, so there's a good chance you are actually referring to those.

Sometimes class 2 and 1 mobility scooters and wheelchairs (max speed of 4mph) are forced into the road due to fuckwit car drivers parking on the pavement and blocking dropped kerbs, so in those cases, it's sometimes safer to approach oncoming traffic as if you were a pedestrian.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thebardyspoon posted:

Someone yesterday was talking about the Fens and the draining of them, anyone able to recommend a decent book about that?

BalloonFish posted:

That someone was me: The three books I've read on the subject are :
Imperial Mud is on my reading list too.

I'd also say The Anglo-Saxon Fenland by Susan Oosthuizen, covering the Fens as culturally Romano-British in contrast to the Anglo-Saxon solid lands, and some of the medical papers about the area like Fenland Ague in the Nineteenth Century (Alice Nicholls) and The Disappearance of Malaria from the East Anglian Fens (Tom Williamson) contain interesting cultural snippets about the drainage, Fen life, the cultural use of opium, etc.

The Dead Moon and Other Tales from East Anglia and the Fen Country collected by Kevin Crossley-Holland is a more different thing, folklore and myths and tales, bogles among the marshes and such, but it adds some flavour in the background.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Are there any theyve made movies of?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So in summary:

Drink
Don't bother learning to drive
Get Ubers everywhere
If you find you have to learn to drive, it won't be that expensive, but not cheap either.
Learning to drive will open up opportunities to go out. Possibly to buy cheese or see trees on a whim.
Drink (but not while driving)

Mebh fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 17, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I mean it was obvious to the rest of us but I'm glad youre finally on the same page yeah

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Smoke trees drive buses.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean it was obvious to the rest of us but I'm glad youre finally on the same page yeah

Rude

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Hey, I'm incredibly oblivious to many things so I need the obvious pointing out a lot.

I often put my phone in the fridge and realise I've taken a packet of cheese to bed. And that's before I start exploring weird and wild cocktails.

I did get a cool tattoo last week tho.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly if I found out I had cheese in bed and my phone elsewhere I would be happy, cheese brings joy, phone brings only sorrow.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Is that their real name?! :allears:

Edit: very cool tattoo!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I didnt intend to be I thought it was a comedy summary of the thread's contradictory advice. But if not OK i dunno

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I didnt intend to be I thought it was a comedy summary of the thread's contradictory advice. But if not OK i dunno

Drink

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Destroy all cars, spend more money on tattoos and cheese

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mebh posted:

Hey, I'm incredibly oblivious to many things so I need the obvious pointing out a lot.

I often put my phone in the fridge and realise I've taken a packet of cheese to bed. And that's before I start exploring weird and wild cocktails.

I did get a cool tattoo last week tho.

That's awesome

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Destroy all cars, spend more money on tattoos and cheese

That's what my partner and i settled on.

Costco sells Old Amsterdam Gouda! gently caress I missed it. So damned good, and an amazing compliment to cheddar on a cheese board. They also have Curado Manchego!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

Curado Manchego
Conservative Minister for Orrinshire Northwest.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A tempting offer.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

:perfect:

They'll try anything to get folks to look at the endless pizza adverts that get slammed through the door every day.

E: i really need to learn how to make the uber garlic sauce that comes from my local. It's so strong that you basically exude garlic from your skin the next day if you eat too much.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Mebh posted:

:perfect:
E: i really need to learn how to make the uber garlic sauce that comes from my local. It's so strong that you basically exude garlic from your skin the next day if you eat too much.

You mean enough, right?