Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Razer's actual products aren't the problem, the malware attached to them is the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mrking posted:

Are there any mice with good Mac software? I tried an old deathadder and a logitech 603 and neither of them recognize in their respective software, maybe its a problem with the m1 chips. I will probably just end up with a mouse with onboard profile, but not being able to change the function of the dpi buttons has been messing with me.

Hmmn if the mouse software isn't M1 native and so being run through rosetta, I could see that blocking the hardware access they want. Logi Options+ is M1 native, so any of the logitech "M" type (ie productivity) mice should work perfectly.

(The G603 apparently has a single onboard profile, so you should be able to program it on a PC to change the functions of buttons, then use it on your mac.)

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Walked posted:

I have been on the MX Master series for a while. Generally I love it; but the newer 2S and 3 have rubber coatings that seem to degrade pretty fast (<1yr) for me into a perceptibly sticky surface. I'm pretty anal about cleanliness but it happens 100% of the time with these.

I've contact logitech, gotten replacements, and it still happens.

Simply put, I think it's time for another mouse. Is there anything else out there that's not rubberized that has a similar productivity set + quality build? I dont care about DPI or any of that; I like programmable buttons, dual scroll wheels, and the ratcheting scroll wheel (which seems like only is available in the MX series)

What would be my next option?

I don't have other options to give you, but I wanted to say that I had this problem with rubberized coating on the Logitech MX700, what must have been 15+ years ago. I'm stunned that they still make mice like this.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

BeAuMaN posted:

Update: Now for store pickup only if it's in stock at your store.
Going to drop this here

Unfortunately it seems like these are being cancelled, pricing error :smith:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

buglord posted:

Unfortunately it seems like these are being cancelled, pricing error :smith:
Seems to be hit or miss as reported in the Slickdeals thread. Various stores are cancelling, some aren't right away, and others are getting their orders in store.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Razer's actual products aren't the problem, the malware attached to them is the problem.

Here's a little bit of a revelation for you. Nearly all hardware companies have lovely software. Coolermaster's MasterPlus is crap, Corsair's iCue is crap, Logitech's Ghub is crap, Steelseries GG is crap, Razer Synapse is crap. They've all got their idiosyncrasies that make them a loving pain in the rear end in some way or another to work with.

Whining about one specific company when literally every major hardware manufacturer has crap software you have to deal with is just blind fanboyism at this point.

Instead, look at the actual hardware. My Razer Basilisk Ultimate has been rock solid for over 2 years, my CoolerMaster MM731 is working mostly okay (it's got some issues, but is part of the batch affected by the MM731 replacement program, so I'm holding off judgement until I get my replacement), my G502 Hero, Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless and Corsair M65 Pro all developed double clicking issues within a year.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 17, 2022

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Tornhelm posted:

Instead, look at the actual hardware. My Razer Basilisk Ultimate has been rock solid for over 2 years, my CoolerMaster MM731 is working mostly okay (it's got some issues, but is part of the batch affected by the MM731 replacement program, so I'm holding off judgement until I get my replacement), my G502 Hero, Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless and Corsair M65 Pro all developed double clicking issues within a year.
For me it's more like when your parents (or grandparents; I feel old) complain about how things used to last longer. There was a time when Razer mice lasted much longer, but those days are long gone. Hence, I'm not throwing $100, or $70 or even $50 at a deathadder anymore or whatever the full price is these days. It's a disposable HID that's best spent like $30 or $40 on to last maybe 2 years. Less if you roll bad on the QA RNG; more if you roll well.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tornhelm posted:

Whining about one specific company when literally every major hardware manufacturer has crap software you have to deal with is just blind fanboyism at this point.

Except Corsair. iCue is uniquely awful.

BeAuMaN posted:

For me it's more like when your parents (or grandparents; I feel old) complain about how things used to last longer. There was a time when Razer mice lasted much longer, but those days are long gone. Hence, I'm not throwing $100, or $70 or even $50 at a deathadder anymore or whatever the full price is these days. It's a disposable HID that's best spent like $30 or $40 on to last maybe 2 years. Less if you roll bad on the QA RNG; more if you roll well.

You've got Razer's quality quite backwards. They were the absolute worst poo poo-tier company in terms of product design, QA and QC when they launched the original Boomslang. Today, they're actually quite reliable as far as mice go because Razer uses optical switches and they just don't seem to be a failure point the way mechanicals are. That said, there is a good $30-40 option if you want to go that route, the G305. Very good product for the price, but the switches will probably die at some point.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

K8.0 posted:

You've got Razer's quality quite backwards. They were the absolute worst poo poo-tier company in terms of product design, QA and QC when they launched the original Boomslang. Today, they're actually quite reliable as far as mice go because Razer uses optical switches and they just don't seem to be a failure point the way mechanicals are. That said, there is a good $30-40 option if you want to go that route, the G305. Very good product for the price, but the switches will probably die at some point.
I was more talking about the opticals, though I did have an original Boomslang too. Pulling up my order history... my Razer Copperhead lasted the longest. I got that in 2005 and used it through... looks like 2012? I don't think I've had a Deathadder last that long without issues.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

I was more talking about the opticals, though I did have an original Boomslang too. Pulling up my order history... my Razer Copperhead lasted the longest. I got that in 2005 and used it through... looks like 2012? I don't think I've had a Deathadder last that long without issues.

K8.0 is talking about the new ones with optical switches, which should last much longer than the previous ones with mechanical switches (which as you mentioned only lasted a couple years on average, like most other pre-optical switch mice)... if you already have a new one with issues, it should still be under warranty.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Oh yeah I haven't tried any of the optical switch stuff yet. The tech looked pretty nifty.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tornhelm posted:

Here's a little bit of a revelation for you. Nearly all hardware companies have lovely software. Coolermaster's MasterPlus is crap, Corsair's iCue is crap, Logitech's Ghub is crap, Steelseries GG is crap, Razer Synapse is crap. They've all got their idiosyncrasies that make them a loving pain in the rear end in some way or another to work with.

As a wise man once said: "There's layers to this poo poo, playa, tiramasu, tiramasu."

I will note that it was only recently (okay, 2019 is still recent in my head, time has lost all meaning in this time of plague and chip shortages and sorrow) that Razer stopped requiring you to create an account and log in to their software to do even the most basic mundane tasks like turning off the RGB.

iCue is a poo poo sundae with an extra excrement dingleberry cherry on top because of how many of Corsair's mice just don't bother with onboard memory at all. Maybe they do now, but for a long time, they did not. I have about three, four of them I picked up when Fry's finally closed their doors. I paid a buck each for them, but gently caress if I'm gonna use them, because I can't maintain any settings at all unless iCue is running.

GHub, GG and Swarm (that's Roccat) are the minimum level of poo poo: You install it to tweak settings and update the firmware, save the profiles to onboard memory, uninstall, and they keep chugging along cheerful as you please.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 18, 2022

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Xtrfy is all mouse memory I believe, no software. Excited about the wireless mz1 that’s dropping this summer

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Miguel Prado posted:

Xtrfy is all mouse memory I believe, no software. Excited about the wireless mz1 that’s dropping this summer

Xtrfy and g wolves software both write to onboard mouse memory iirc.

Also the old legacy Logitech software was fine, even if the mouse onboard profiles reset every now and then.

The big problem I have is: why do I have to create an account with always on software to use my drat mouse software???? drat you razer!

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

LordAdakos posted:

The big problem I have is: why do I have to create an account with always on software to use my drat mouse software???? drat you razer!

You don't anymore. I've been using the razer software without an account for years.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Like I said above, not anymore. It's nice that they've joined civilized society, but it's still weird that it took them until 2019 to do it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I've been using Logitech mice like the G5 since 05, and used every evolution since (500, several 502s) replacing when the switches fail or the soft-touch gets too sticky from use. Whats the goon-census on the Glorious mice? The new Model I has caught my eye (heh) and the price seems right, with a comparable body shape.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Does anyone have a Artisan mousepad? Should I drop $90 on one from Japan?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

err posted:

I have had a Hayate Otsu and a Hien, both in the M size. The Hayate was great and held up extremely well for over 4 years (the edges peeled, but it was from before they started doing stitched edges). The Hien I've had for ~1.5 years, and am very slightly disappointed in. It's a super fast pad which I like, but is showing wear faster than the Hayate. At one point I would have taken that trade but I'm not doing competitive gaming anymore.

I got both of mine for <$40, from amazon. As those prices I felt they were a decent purchase because they're high quality and last a long time (though I wish I'd gotten a second hayate). With international shipping prices these days I'd be kinda ehhh. There are plenty of other good pads around, artisan has superior quality & durability but not twice as good.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Klyith posted:

I have had a Hayate Otsu and a Hien, both in the M size. The Hayate was great and held up extremely well for over 4 years (the edges peeled, but it was from before they started doing stitched edges). The Hien I've had for ~1.5 years, and am very slightly disappointed in. It's a super fast pad which I like, but is showing wear faster than the Hayate. At one point I would have taken that trade but I'm not doing competitive gaming anymore.

I got both of mine for <$40, from amazon. As those prices I felt they were a decent purchase because they're high quality and last a long time (though I wish I'd gotten a second hayate). With international shipping prices these days I'd be kinda ehhh. There are plenty of other good pads around, artisan has superior quality & durability but not twice as good.

Yeah, $40 is really good for Artisians. I looked for the Hayate Otsu but it looks like it is discontinued. I've heard the Zero is really good so I might get that but it's a bit more expensive. Really wish I could try different ones to see if I would need it faster or more of a control feeling.

I was also looking at the X-raypad Aqua Control+. Which is a bit cheaper.

err fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 23, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

err posted:

Yeah, $40 is really good for Artisians. I looked for the Hayate Otsu but it looks like it is discontinued.

These were M size, so not that much of a deal.

The hayate otsu is still available direct from their website. 8200 yen shipped for the XL, that's actually only $64. Wow. Though your CC may charge you a extra fee for currency conversion.

Oh, looks like the yen has lost almost 15% vs USD since the last month. Huh.

err posted:

Really wish I could try different ones to see if I would need it faster or more of a control feeling.

Yeah if you're not sure whether you like fast or control I would buy cheaper domestic stuff on amazon. Return it if you quickly figure out you hate it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Iirc, Razer let me set my Hypershift modifier to a keyboard key (without having a Razer keyboard). I don't see a way of doing that with G-HUB for G-Shift (and I don't have a Logi keyboard). Is it just not an option?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Anyone here buy the Zaunkoenig M2K?

24 Grams, 8000hz polling rate, Everything can also be tweaked without software and the firmware is open source.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you're really going to feel the cable on a wired mouse that light

the g-wolves HSK+ is a similar form factor at 36g but wireless if they ever get around to releasing it

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

By my math, 1.65m of 4x32awg copper is ~1.87892604 grams. Adding the HDPE insulation, 40 AWG spiral shield, TPU jacket, and connector probably gets it a bit over 1/10th the entire weight of the mouse? Assuming you're using a mouse bungie, the portion of the cable you'd actually feel is probably closer to 2-3 grams.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

err posted:

I only have Artisan clones, but I know Lethal Gaming Gear (a company that makes their own Artisan clones) regularly does group buys of Artisan pads, one of which is running now until May 6th. Just a heads up to you or anyone else looking for one!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

New Zealand can eat me posted:

24 Grams, 8000hz polling rate, Everything can also be tweaked without software and the firmware is open source.

Yep, I have one. If you want to solve exactly thing it solves, it's loving sick. If you want anything else, uh... well, just makes sure it solves the problems you care about.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

By my math, 1.65m of 4x32awg copper is ~1.87892604 grams. Adding the HDPE insulation, 40 AWG spiral shield, TPU jacket, and connector probably gets it a bit over 1/10th the entire weight of the mouse? Assuming you're using a mouse bungie, the portion of the cable you'd actually feel is probably closer to 2-3 grams.

it's a sentiment that came up when i looked at reviews of the m2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qmuSzSoN9g&t=222s

i personally found going from wired to wireless on 60-70g mice to make a noticeable difference so i can only imagine it's even more noticeable on something like the m2k

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

79mm long? What is this, a mouse for ants??

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

repiv posted:

Ever since learning about this mouse last night thanks to this thread, I’m weirdly fascinated by a $320 USD mouse that looks that basic. It seems like a specialty mouse you’d send to the ISS because of weight limitations or something.

To the goon that bought it, what’s the long term impressions? Is it something you’d only be using for competitive shooters?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

repiv posted:

I didn't mean to imply that you wouldn't notice it, was more surprised the cable weighed so much!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's not so much the weight that you feel. It's the thing dragging around / deforming and changing the feel of the mouse as you move it.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

That's what the mouse bungee is for

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
That mouse might be light, but I prefer to calculate mouse value based on cost per button, and with something like the g600 you are getting anywhere from $1.50 to $3.00 per button. Maybe we can take the average price per button and multiply by the weight in grams to get the MousevalueCoefficient.

All joking aside, I would be interested in learning how the mouse feels on a user side, and if you would use it for more than competitive fps games.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Why does an extremely specialized FPS mouse need a wheel? I thought no serious FPS player actually used the wheel to switch guns or whatever - too slow. Going without for :krad: LESS WEIGHT :krad: or replacing it with an old-style middle button seems like it would make sense.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the first generation of that mouse (the m1k) didn't have a wheel but people complained so they put one on the sequel

it only added 1 gram to the weight, from 23 to 24

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

NihilCredo posted:

Why does an extremely specialized FPS mouse need a wheel? I thought no serious FPS player actually used the wheel to switch guns or whatever - too slow. Going without for :krad: LESS WEIGHT :krad: or replacing it with an old-style middle button seems like it would make sense.

The scroll wheel is often used as a jump button in games where bunny hopping is common

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Illogietch has the button on some mice that toggles free wheel moving or having the incremental tick, what I'd like (as someone who's only ever used the wheel and cant force myself to do otherwise) is a toggle that goes between the incremental tick, and only being able to roll forwards or backwards one increment. The latter being for gaming and the former for browsing. I went through several mice before I found one with a wheel that suited my needs.

The wheel button is what gets me. I feel guilty every time I use it, like its somehow much less durable than the regular mouse buttons and I'm significantly reducing its lifespan with each press.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

NihilCredo posted:

Depending on the game there's things you can do like adjustable zoom on a scope, or rapid fire on a semi-auto gun. And a wheel effectively acts as three buttons if you don't need to hold a direction, making it easier to keep your left hand on the movement keys.

Modern shooters have generally consolidated around three or four item slots instead of 8+ like the games of yore so nobody is wasting time slowly scrolling through the whole list anyways, you can have your weapons directly mapped on the wheel instead of scrolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NihilCredo posted:

Bringing it full circle! A friend of mine had one of these wingman mice from before optical sensors and scroll wheels were widespread. He was good at quake and doom 2.