Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'll list some players doing good for me that aren't super high rated and you guys can throw in some too. I'm planning on building an all Dominican team like last year but I'm working with what I have at the start. So far I've got four players batting immensely for me. In no particular order- Will Smith (catcher), the card feels almost broken as it did last year, except it feels even better than last year. Honestly, ignore his lefty hitting stats, they aren't as great as his righty ones but they're still like 80% of the way there and much better than the stats suggest. He's very very good. Stanton is my bench bat right now and despite having 90 rated players from the program I could use, he wont be replaced anytime soon. Hits both sides very well and I'm always confident at bat with him. My friend said Stanton is doing work for him as well. Haniger is super solid at bat and will unfortunately probably move to my bench to make way for Vlad Sr. but grab him out of that pack if you need a RF or a bench bat. Lastly Teoscar Hernandez Has been great for me all around- at the plate and fielding and I have no intention of taking him out of the team anytime soon despite being an 83. The rest of my players are playing quite average for me, some not so great. The 90 program Cron has been a disappointment and I'm gonna look for a new 1st base player soon.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Ran into an issue with the April Monthly Challenges.

I whipped through all the moments, and finished each one and "collected" each card in the other tab. But it's not letting advance to "Stage Two." Not sure what's going on there.

Anyone else dealt with this? Am I managing to do something supremely stupid?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

monthly challenges are a weekly thing instead of an all at once thing. you can't actually finish the april ones yet.

yes it is very poorly signposted

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

TheFlyingLlama posted:

monthly challenges are a weekly thing instead of an all at once thing. you can't actually finish the april ones yet.

yes it is very poorly signposted

God damnit. I suspected something stupid, I just thought it would be more me than them.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Still new to diamond dynasty and just doing single player modes, is there any reason I’m missing for why every throw to first base is an adventure? I’m averaging 4 errors a game because every throw pulls the first baseman off the bag

Do I need to have every member of my infield in original positions and no secondary positions? My 1b is an actual 1b just to try and fix the issue but it didn’t work

Trying to see what the point of secondary positions are at all if they still play defense like they’ve never seen a baseball

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Change your throwing setting to button accuracy and make sure you're doing only green throws

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

the_american_dream posted:

Still new to diamond dynasty and just doing single player modes, is there any reason I’m missing for why every throw to first base is an adventure? I’m averaging 4 errors a game because every throw pulls the first baseman off the bag

Do I need to have every member of my infield in original positions and no secondary positions? My 1b is an actual 1b just to try and fix the issue but it didn’t work

Trying to see what the point of secondary positions are at all if they still play defense like they’ve never seen a baseball

If you're using button accuracy throwing, you'll always throw the ball properly if you stop the meter in the green zone. Most people have players on secondary positions all the time.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Forgot to mention I have fielding on auto and throws just button to base no meter. I just play to pitch and bat

And it seems to only be first. I’ve walked guys to set up a force to second it’s so hopeless

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Forgot to mention I have fielding on auto and throws just button to base no meter. I just play to pitch and bat

And it seems to only be first. I’ve walked guys to set up a force to second it’s so hopeless

Yeah, try out the button accuracy thing, it would honestly probably take you 5 minutes of fielding practice in custom practice to get the timing down (it never changes, it's the same timing no matter who is throwing and no matter to where, so it's just a matter of learning what holding for exactly 1 second or whatever it is feels like) and then you'll at least never gently caress up a throw

If your guy is dropping the ball at 1st that might be a fielding thing but if he's being pulled off the bag that's usually a bad throw

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 26, 2022

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Giving away what I think it an edge because I like talking edges more than exploiting them: I've gotten to about 25 wins in Events over the last day and I've only seen two lefty pitchers: a sole Robbie Ray and an infrequent Chapman.

So now I'm loading up my lineup with lefties. Seems like free advantage and all it's costing me is Goldy at first and bench bats my Acuna and Buxton (which hurts) for Benitendi and Kyle Tucker.

I wouldn't do this probably in Ranked? But in Event I'd probably even be fine instant quitting on a lefty to save time because who cares I just want my 25 wins and I'm not gonna win 12 games.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm glad the high sinkers have been curtailed a bit. sinkers still don't look like sinkers and they still think it is a different pitch from a two seamer for some reason but maybe this year we'll avoid the curse of Corey kluber or Edward Cabrera.

I wish they'd actually talk to irl pitchers when developing the game though.

otherwise this has been a real good start

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

bewbies posted:

I'm glad the high sinkers have been curtailed a bit. sinkers still don't look like sinkers and they still think it is a different pitch from a two seamer for some reason but maybe this year we'll avoid the curse of Corey kluber or Edward Cabrera.

I wish they'd actually talk to irl pitchers when developing the game though.

otherwise this has been a real good start

I do feel more in a bind with a sinker/slider pitcher vs a lefty this year. Sinker accuracy is pretty bad with all the meta pitchers in general.

That said, same handed I'm having a reasonable time firing sinkers in on the hands over and over and that seems fine.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

MJBuddy posted:

Giving away what I think it an edge because I like talking edges more than exploiting them: I've gotten to about 25 wins in Events over the last day and I've only seen two lefty pitchers: a sole Robbie Ray and an infrequent Chapman.

So now I'm loading up my lineup with lefties. Seems like free advantage and all it's costing me is Goldy at first and bench bats my Acuna and Buxton (which hurts) for Benitendi and Kyle Tucker.

I wouldn't do this probably in Ranked? But in Event I'd probably even be fine instant quitting on a lefty to save time because who cares I just want my 25 wins and I'm not gonna win 12 games.

If you're going all lefty, FotF Votto hits fuckin nukes for me

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
why do people consider lefty/lefty to be harder than R/R matchup? is it just because you see the matchup less?

physically I find it much easier to quickly move the cursor to the top right than I do the top left so I think lefty/lefty seems easier to me

like I can use my whole base of my thumb to support it by kinda rotating my arm a bit and move it accurately but when I'm doing up/left I have to basically pull that direction with my thumb muscle alone and it feels harder to be precise with

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

why do people consider lefty/lefty to be harder than R/R matchup? is it just because you see the matchup less?

physically I find it much easier to quickly move the cursor to the top right than I do the top left so I think lefty/lefty seems easier to me

like I can use my whole base of my thumb to support it by kinda rotating my arm a bit and move it accurately but when I'm doing up/left I have to basically pull that direction with my thumb muscle alone and it feels harder to be precise with

As a pitcher I have trouble doing the thumb rotation and hitting the bottom right spot. It could also be because lefties lack overwhelming power. They're pound for pound worse.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

I imagine most of it is not seeing as many Lefty pitchers, but there's also a timing element to it.

in a same handed matchup when they are throwing up and in you have a little bit less time to see and react to the pitch location, whereas if it's a cross-handed matchup the pitch up and in is coming across the plate relative to your eyes rather than at them. I think this is a little more pronounced this year also since they seem to have increased the relative importance of getting out in front of the pitch.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

I imagine most of it is not seeing as many Lefty pitchers, but there's also a timing element to it.

in a same handed matchup when they are throwing up and in you have a little bit less time to see and react to the pitch location, whereas if it's a cross-handed matchup the pitch up and in is coming across the plate relative to your eyes rather than at them. I think this is a little more pronounced this year also since they seem to have increased the relative importance of getting out in front of the pitch.

Yeah I'm saying hitting L/L vs hitting R/R, people seem to think L/L is harder even though there's the up and in timing element with either one and I think physically it's easier to push the stick to the right quickly and accurately than left is all

I get why cross handed is easier for the reasons you stated but I mean in terms of same handed matchups

Cross-handed there's also the element of like a slider is going to cut into an area where being early is better so if you don't slow down enough it's going to like cut into an area where your timing accidentally becomes good whereas if it's same-handed and cutting away from you it does the opposite, if you're early it punishes you by cutting into an area where you become even earlier

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
They need to fix the Battle Royale missions.

Basically, they have fourteen players you need to take to parallel one in BR games. Some of them suck. How are you supposed to do that, short of playing fifty loving BR games?

I really dislike player specific missions as it is, but making them tied to XP is a step worse.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

They need to fix the Battle Royale missions.

Basically, they have fourteen players you need to take to parallel one in BR games. Some of them suck. How are you supposed to do that, short of playing fifty loving BR games?

I really dislike player specific missions as it is, but making them tied to XP is a step worse.

yeah I agree, last year at least the "get 4 XBH" or something wasn't THAT bad, it was just that they needed the guaranteed picks

this year we have the guaranteed picks but the PXP thing sucks for some of them, pitchers very easy hitters really hard

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Stefan Prodan posted:

yeah I agree, last year at least the "get 4 XBH" or something wasn't THAT bad, it was just that they needed the guaranteed picks

this year we have the guaranteed picks but the PXP thing sucks for some of them, pitchers very easy hitters really hard

The best would be if the missions were not player locked, or locked to a single ticket.

If someone is willing to play through a ticket a night for the duration of the BR, they shouldn't be struggling to get halfway through the missions.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Basically that's why I back burnered BR for Events and Ranked. I can go 50-70% win on events and get two games in at Ranked and get there. BR is both harder, and less consistent in rewards so high chance I put in a lot of time and get nothing.

This week's event will be interesting though since I only have weeknights to hit it. And the auto-team builder glitched on me so I'm having issues creating a viable team. Good news is unlike last year it won't just reset the drat thing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

MJBuddy posted:

Basically that's why I back burnered BR for Events and Ranked. I can go 50-70% win on events and get two games in at Ranked and get there. BR is both harder, and less consistent in rewards so high chance I put in a lot of time and get nothing.

This week's event will be interesting though since I only have weeknights to hit it. And the auto-team builder glitched on me so I'm having issues creating a viable team. Good news is unlike last year it won't just reset the drat thing.

Weirdly enough, I tend to get more wins in Battle Royale than anywhere else. Which is why I think it's such bullshit that no genuine good rewards happen until 80% completion. Or loving 100% in MLB 22.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah, try out the button accuracy thing, it would honestly probably take you 5 minutes of fielding practice in custom practice to get the timing down (it never changes, it's the same timing no matter who is throwing and no matter to were, so it's just a matter of learning what holding for exactly 1 second or whatever it is feels like) and then you'll at least never gently caress up a throw

If your guy is dropping the ball at 1st that might be a fielding thing but if he's being pulled off the bag that's usually a bad throw

Thank you, I switched to this and haven’t had the issue since

One more thing I’m not sure anyone can actually help with. I really hate the “hit a home run” missions because I feel like I luck into dingers more than anything

Does it actually make a difference doing a power swing over normal? Feels like i whiff on pitches I normally wouldn’t when I go for power. Also I’m guessing I’m not missing any other secret on hitting home runs besides timing on a pitch up. As often as hit a HR is the goal I’m starting to think there’s a home run button I’m not aware of to be pushing

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

One more thing I’m not sure anyone can actually help with. I really hate the “hit a home run” missions because I feel like I luck into dingers more than anything

Does it actually make a difference doing a power swing over normal? Feels like i whiff on pitches I normally wouldn’t when I go for power. Also I’m guessing I’m not missing any other secret on hitting home runs besides timing on a pitch up. As often as hit a HR is the goal I’m starting to think there’s a home run button I’m not aware of to be pushing

If it's on rookie or veteran I would generally be power swinging for HR missions, yeah

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I don't ever power swing. for those missions I just sit with my cursor up in the zone and wait for a fastball. don't bother swinging at anything else.

unless it's a dumbass sinker baller, then put your cursor low in the zone and wait for them to leave one in the middle.

it works fine, my only real annoyance is when the computer pitcher can't find the zone to save his life, which seems to happen more often than it does in real life

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I have gotten plunked on one out of every 15-20 hit a dinger missions and it's the most annoying thing that I laugh uproariously at

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I power swing. Set your cursor inside, and try to be a little early on the pitch. Those contacts will have more power as well.

In a pinch, switch to directional and hold in and up and power swing and work on timing.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thanks all I’ll give it a shot

Also lmao at Prince Fielders arm constantly clipping into his body on this latest daily mission

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Jesus Christ they have to fix the new PCI. People shouldn't be able to hit pitches I throw behind them.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I actually did the whole RTTS grind for a batter. I probably didn't get this optimal, but wound up with either a ~105 contact/~105 power guy with a decent glove (I made him a 2B, which kind of wastes the big arm) or an ~80 contact, ~100 power guy with a great glove and great wheels...and the "bunt cheese" perk. Which means he can drag bunt like a superhero. Going to try the bunt cheese loadout first and see how many angry messages I get.

It didn't take as long as I'd feared (maybe 2 hrs total) and the grind was actually kind of fun. I was hoping the end result would be an endgame player, but this is good enough to start probably through the all star break.

Hitting on beginner for so long seriously screwed up my timing though, holy crap. If you do this, plan to take a day or two of practice or something to get your eyes back.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Uh so I just started the show 22 streaming after having not played since like I dunno 14

two questions:
1. Why are practice options locked and how can I unlock them
2. Where can I practice this absurd double play quicktime event that popped up and caused my RTTS fielder to have an error because I was not expecting it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

fast cars loose anus posted:

Uh so I just started the show 22 streaming after having not played since like I dunno 14

two questions:
1. Why are practice options locked and how can I unlock them
2. Where can I practice this absurd double play quicktime event that popped up and caused my RTTS fielder to have an error because I was not expecting it

You probably tried to change them during an actual pitch, you should be able to when the pitcher is just sitting there

I'm not sure you actually can practice the RTTS quicktime style throwing but you can change it to the normal style of throwing if you want in the options somewhere

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Stefan Prodan posted:

You probably tried to change them during an actual pitch, you should be able to when the pitcher is just sitting there

I'm not sure you actually can practice the RTTS quicktime style throwing but you can change it to the normal style of throwing if you want in the options somewhere

Oh, I see about #1. I'll go explore the RTTS options, thanks.

I'm not actually opposed to the idea of it and it might add something but it caught me totally off guard so I'd like to mess about with it

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

For the silly practice problem (totally happens to me too but I was aware of it). You can press down on the d pad to call timeout as a batter and then hit the menu up right after so you're not caught up in the non-discernable pitch window.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
You cannot invert the "Camera Look" in RTTS.

Which means I am constantly blowing the gently caress out of the QuickTime events and staring at the dirt when I need to track a ball while base running.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Despite me playing this game pretty casually and not spending money on packs I pulled Trout last night from a standard gold pack. When would be the best time to sell him for max profit?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Either ASAP, when the next big collection drops, or when there's a stub sale. He just had a roster update where his stats actually went up.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
well my created player is 8 for 14 with two doubles and three home runs over his first four games. this compared to team OPS of 945 mostly on All Star.

I am tentatively excited. although people are going the start pitching around him pretty soon.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Even though I'm still mostly grinding CPU games, my most lucky/insane hitter so far is live series Tatis Jr., who has 52 hits, with 26 of them being home runs, playing only on all-star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The Show 21 had Jorge Polanco as the card I absolutely murdered using.

So far in 22, it's been Face of the Franchise Bellinger for me. For whatever reason, I absolutely murder balls with him.

I also had the damndest thing in Battle Royale. I'm bad, but walked off two games in a row.

Of a pinch hit homer.

With bronze Daniel Vogelbach.

:stare: