Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

American McGay posted:

Quick resuming right back into the middle of a million point combo in THPS after taking my Xbox to my parent's place for Thanksgiving exploded my brain.

Quick resume is witchcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

univbee posted:

There's Yakuza Dead Souls and Yakuza Kenzan, I don't believe there are others still stuck in PS3 barring counting things like "Yakuza 4 with the original actors". Yakuza Ishin hasn't been localized and that was a PS4 launch title (with a PS3 version as well).

Ah, I only had the ps3 version of ishin didn't realize it had a 4 port. The other one I was thinking of was the 1 & 2 remaster but i just remembered you can get that one on the wii u as well.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ryoga posted:

Ah, I only had the ps3 version of ishin didn't realize it had a 4 port. The other one I was thinking of was the 1 & 2 remaster but i just remembered you can get that one on the wii u as well.

oh yeah lol I forgot about that, and I even own it digitally on PS3. Although in this day and age unless you're froob doing speedruns of the original versions I think you're best off sticking with Kiwami 1 and 2.

And yeah 2014ish was a wild year for Japan's Yakuza releases. They also had PS3 versions of Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami that were pretty robust (basically just a lower res and a framerate in the 20s but otherwise fully featured).

Right now there are so few games that are properly stuck on PS3 (and a good chunk of the ones that are aren't going to be interest to many people) that it almost makes more sense to have an isolated emulator/wrapper for a small number of specific games instead of an emulator that'll run anything. Like make it work with MGS4 and see where that gets them.

Sony's just constantly got cold feet about backwards compatibility ever since the massive efforts they went through to make the PS3 run PS1 and PS2 discs almost cost them the gen and was a massive financial loss for them. And when the PS3 was new you could just buy a PS2 Slim for like a hundred bucks when they could have made the PS3 cost $100 less and not run PS2 games. Similarly, if you have a set mind about playing PS3 games right now, just bring 80 dollars to a pawn shop.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The ps3 was win

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anybody know why the Games with Gold stuff sometimes says "You own this" and sometimes says "Included with Gold"? I try to claim the free games whenever I remember, but it's making me a little paranoid about whether it's actually working, since the page also likes to make me sign in again every time I open it

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Are you grabbing the games from a browser? Don't think I've ever had a problem claiming from my console under Full Library -> Games with Gold (aside from cancelling the download but that's NBD)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The ps3 was win

:hai:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

SpiderLink posted:

Are you grabbing the games from a browser? Don't think I've ever had a problem claiming from my console under Full Library -> Games with Gold (aside from cancelling the download but that's NBD)

Yup, I have the GwG page bookmarked in Chrome, and I just open it from my PC whenever I remember it's past the 1st/15th of the month. I guess I'll try doing it directly from the console, if that's more reliable

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

404notfound posted:

Anybody know why the Games with Gold stuff sometimes says "You own this" and sometimes says "Included with Gold"? I try to claim the free games whenever I remember, but it's making me a little paranoid about whether it's actually working, since the page also likes to make me sign in again every time I open it

If I have the info right, when a game is for Xbox One or higher the license of it understands it is attached to Games with Gold. Your subscription ends, the software checks to make sure you own it before you can play it. When it's an Xbox 360 or older title you can download it and play it even if your subscription ends. This also works for GamePass. I noticed this when I had GamePass and let it end, but all my 360 titles say I owned them. I don't think you can necessarily re-download the 360 games but once they are installed to your system it goes "ok you own this". You could in theory subscribe to GamePass, download all the xbox 360 games, install them on your XBO/XSX/XSS/360 and then cancel your GamePass sub and keep all the games. (at least it used to work that way)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Neat, Hardspace: Shipbreaker is leaving Early Access in May and coming to PC Gamepass. I already own it on steam but it’s very fun and chill and worth checking out.

Console versions to follow!

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Games with Gold for Xbox FAQ posted:

What happens to my Games with Gold games if I cancel my Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Games Pass Ultimate subscription?
Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One: You’ll no longer be able to access your Games with Gold titles if you cancel your subscription. However, if you decide to renew your subscription at any time, you’ll be able to access and play your previously redeemed Games with Gold titles again.
Xbox 360: Any Games with Gold titles that you redeem as an Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate member are yours to keep, regardless of whether you continue your subscription.

Back when they first started trying some GWG to an active subscription I vaguely remember that you could still make the newer games permanent by redeeming on desktop. Something to do with the old vs new Xbox marketplace? But I think that’s extremely outdated information and I can’t find anything about it anymore. It’s a simple OG/360 vs One/Series split now.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Xbox 360 was never designed or updated to handle temporarily giving away free games like the ps3 eventually did. This was a big lol at one point, somehow.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
PS3 was so good at it some accidentally left it on for some purchased games and they just went off recently taking people's paid games away for a bit

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

priznat posted:

Neat, Hardspace: Shipbreaker is leaving Early Access in May and coming to PC Gamepass. I already own it on steam but it’s very fun and chill and worth checking out.

Console versions to follow!

it runs like rear end on my 960 so here's hoping we get a series x edition pretty soon here. really cool game. i love the almost StarCraft 1 low tech aesthetic.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Larry Parrish posted:

it runs like rear end on my 960 so here's hoping we get a series x edition pretty soon here. really cool game. i love the almost StarCraft 1 low tech aesthetic.

It would be fun if it had tie ins to various spaceship properties so you could break down some of the ships from wing commander or star wars or battlestar galactica :haw:

A couple times I got careless and lazered my way through a fuel line and woops kaboooom lol

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

runchild posted:

Back when they first started trying some GWG to an active subscription I vaguely remember that you could still make the newer games permanent by redeeming on desktop. Something to do with the old vs new Xbox marketplace? But I think that’s extremely outdated information and I can’t find anything about it anymore. It’s a simple OG/360 vs One/Series split now.

I've always redeemed everything via browser (whether it matters or not), and all my back-compat Xbox 360 and OG Xbox GWGs remain playable and listed on the "all owned games" screen on my Xbox One X long after my Gold (or GP Ultimate) subscription expired. The Xbox One games from Gold are gone.

So I don't think it's outdated info to say that backwards-compatible OG Xbox and X360 GWGs are yours to keep permanently even on modern Xboxes.

Zat fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 16, 2022

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Zat posted:

I've always redeemed everything via browser (whether it matters or not), and all my back-compat Xbox 360 and OG Xbox GWGs remain playable and listed on the "all owned games" screen on my Xbox One X long after my Gold (or GP Ultimate) subscription expired. The Xbox One games from Gold are gone.

So I don't think it's outdated info to say that backwards-compatible OG Xbox and X360 GWGs are yours to keep permanently even on modern Xboxes.

Sorry, the outdated information is that it made a difference where you redeemed. I’m trying to find something about it again but I heard it from Wario64 and searching Twitter is loving impossible…

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1355914248887517188

Okay here’s a tweet about it. It was redeeming on marketplace.xbox.com vs microsoft.com, which may or may not have been effected by redeeming on console. Either way it’s not relevant these days.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

American McGay posted:

Honestly curious to see what the "catalog of beloved PS1 & PS2 games" is, but if it's anything like their offerings from PS4 then it's not much.

https://youtu.be/OnJd0sBitYU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

barnold posted:

lmao how do you have an optical drive that won't read CDs? i didn't even think that was possible. it reads DVDs but not CDs?

let me tell you a story about the original Xbox and the special DVD Player Remote Control dongle that you had to buy in order to unlock the ability to play DVDs.......a dongle that was secretly a back-door means of getting the customer to pay for a license that Microsoft was too cheap to include upfront in the purchase of the console

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

let me tell you a story about the original Xbox and the special DVD Player Remote Control dongle that you had to buy in order to unlock the ability to play DVDs.......a dongle that was secretly a back-door means of getting the customer to pay for a license that Microsoft was too cheap to include upfront in the purchase of the console

Microsoft does something similar now where they only pay the associated license fee when you download the Blu-ray player app from the store. It's free, but that's why it doesn't come preinstalled on Xbox consoles.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah it's a pretty common practice to avoid paying the video licensing fee on every single piece of hardware produced.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's amazing that codec fees still exist

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hatty posted:

PS3 was so good at it some accidentally left it on for some purchased games and they just went off recently taking people's paid games away for a bit

Yeah the PS3 has a function for games to expire (used for PS+ and timed trials) and something went weird on their backend where fresh activations of some games had an expiration date of Dec 31 1969 instead of "does not expire", but that seems to be fixed now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

univbee posted:

Yeah the PS3 has a function for games to expire (used for PS+ and timed trials) and something went weird on their backend where fresh activations of some games had an expiration date of Dec 31 1969 instead of "does not expire", but that seems to be fixed now.

I day before Epoch starts. Seems like a rolled over number, but even then that’s really odd, as epoch ends at 1/19/38 as a 32bit integer.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I've been watching a lot of Eldin Ring gameplay and I have to ask, does FromSoft keep some schizophrenics on the payroll for creature design?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lammasu posted:

I've been watching a lot of Eldin Ring gameplay and I have to ask, does FromSoft keep some schizophrenics on the payroll for creature design?

It's not uncommon for creatives to have depths like that. Guillermo del Toro has a creature design book for all of his movies, He's got some crazy poo poo too.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

bushisms.txt posted:

It's not uncommon for creatives to have depths like that. Guillermo del Toro has a creature design book for all of his movies, He's got some crazy poo poo too.

I thought Del Toro's creature design philosophy was, "How can I make Doug Jones as unconfutable as possible."

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Sleng Teng posted:

Anyway a real post: does anybody every experience the series x booting up in 640x480 with no option to change back? It happens to me occasionally, maybe once a month but sometimes often in a short period. It doesn't give me the option to change back (like it doesn't recognize that I have a 4k tv). Sometimes restarting the console works but usually I have to unplug and then replug the hdmi from both ends and then restart the box.

It seems similar to something like a safe boot mode for troubleshoot / tech support but doesn't say anything obvious like that, just looks like poo poo on my lg c1. I've tried different ports and hdmi cables (even bought a brand new one) to be sure it wasn't the tv port or cable issue, even tried a few monitors, but no luck. Googling gave a couple of setting suggestions to reduce the frequency for both the tv and the console, or stuff like keeping the tv on for a few minutes before starting up the console but none of those seem to work reliably. Anybody know what the heck this is about?

I don't have any helpful advice, but just chiming in to say this kept happening to me, and a reboot would _not_ fix it consistently, on my old setup with a Yamaha receiver and an older 1080p Pioneer set. Never really figured out why, or a consistent way to fix it.

Haven't seen it happen since I got my C1, but the HDMI cable is directly connected to the TV now.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

hatty posted:

What's on PS3 that people want? I can think of MGS4, Tokyo Jungle, and the good versions of Shadow of the Colossus and ICO. Everything else is on PC or on Xbox
I would like to play the PS3 Ratchet games but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I just finished reading The Ultimate History of Video Games Vol. 2 (both underrated) and even though I was in the middle of it, the way Sony bumbled the PS3 was monumental. Particularly when it comes to backward-compatibility both then and now. PS3 becoming the bottleneck this gen is insult to injury.

That was the last Sony hardware I purchased and even sold it for a profit once the cheaper version came out.

There are a number of reasons why it didn’t happen, but imagine if the PS5 played everything down to PS1 discs… :popeye:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Fly Ricky posted:

I just finished reading The Ultimate History of Video Games Vol. 2 (both underrated) and even though I was in the middle of it, the way Sony bumbled the PS3 was monumental. Particularly when it comes to backward-compatibility both then and now. PS3 becoming the bottleneck this gen is insult to injury.

That was the last Sony hardware I purchased and even sold it for a profit once the cheaper version came out.

There are a number of reasons why it didn’t happen, but imagine if the PS5 played everything down to PS1 discs… :popeye:

Is this something which is better in print or is it fine on kindle?
I don't want to miss out on good illustrations in color.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

otter posted:

I'm sure it's fine on Kindle.

I haven't read Volume 2 but the only thing I know about Kent in general and specifically Volume 1 is that he is very good at interviewing people and getting great quotes but less good about actually having correct information. I recently listened to an episode of the video game history podcast They Create Worlds about the history of video game books and that was kind of the gist of his work. You can listen to the episode here: http://podcast.theycreateworlds.com/e/books-of-history/

In terms of good history books, there's not a ton I would enthusiastically recommend. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head while scrolling through my Kindle library:

Phoenix by Leonard Herman was one of the first serious attempts at video game history and has been updated a few times since, the most recent edition being released in 2017. It's really good if you want a chronological view of the industry.

They Create Worlds has a book out that is very, very good but it's expensive and only covers up to the early 80s, pre-crash. Probably the highest quality video game history book made so far. More volumes are coming. The podcast is highly recommended in the meantime.

Boss Fight Books has game-focused books that vary wildly in quality but the NBA Jam book is fantastic.

Jason Shreier has two books (Press Start and Press Reset) about more modern games industry events. The most recent one focuses on the human cost of game development and is good.

Masters of Doom is incredible. Very narrow in focus but I read it for the first time recently and was shocked at how gripping it is.

The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers is a three volume series with a ton of interviews of Japanese developers. The amount of work that went into this series is staggering and the interviews are engaging. I think there's some controversy around this series in regards to treatment of some translators but I couldn't find anything in a quick search.

Super Power, Spoony Bards, and Silverware: The Super Nintendo Entertainment System is worth reading for kind of a critical look back at the SNES. It's very focused but it was fun to read a less than glowing account of one of the best consoles of all time and the decisions made regarding it.

Anyways, there are lots of books out there. There's a new attempt at cataloging books about video games at https://www.thevideogamelibrary.org/ that may have some good resources.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Zerot posted:

The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers is a three volume series with a ton of interviews of Japanese developers. The amount of work that went into this series is staggering and the interviews are engaging. I think there's some controversy around this series in regards to treatment of some translators but I couldn't find anything in a quick search.

Wow! That is incredible, instantly purchased all three. Can’t believe I’ve never come across those before. Thank you.

otter posted:

I read both on Kindle. There’s a photo gallery of notable individuals but very little else.

^^^ another recommendation for Phoenix, the only other book that covers the entire history as well. Better, in fact. But the Ultimate books are more engaging. They compliment each other nicely.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
A video game history book I adored was I Am Error by Nathan Altice. It covers the NES, and he deftly jumps between technical explanations, the cultural impact of the system, sales, business, and the legacy of the system.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

elf help book posted:

A video game history book I adored was I Am Error by Nathan Altice. It covers the NES, and he deftly jumps between technical explanations, the cultural impact of the system, sales, business, and the legacy of the system.

That one is sick and I've been meaning to buy the hardcover. Looks like the kind of book you'd get for a college course or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have a 2 month Game Pass Ultimate code that I can't use so have at it goons:

e: gone

v NP, enjoy! v

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 17, 2022

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Professor Beetus posted:

I have a 2 month Game Pass Ultimate code that I can't use so have at it goons:

23GKD-7JQ9Q-V647M-W9DM7-2TDJZ

Thanks!

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I have one too! PX734-F7K24-WM7RV-XWG4Y-F2PPZ

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zerot posted:

I'm sure it's fine on Kindle.

I haven't read Volume 2 but the only thing I know about Kent in general and specifically Volume 1 is that he is very good at interviewing people and getting great quotes but less good about actually having correct information. I recently listened to an episode of the video game history podcast They Create Worlds about the history of video game books and that was kind of the gist of his work. You can listen to the episode here: http://podcast.theycreateworlds.com/e/books-of-history/

In terms of good history books, there's not a ton I would enthusiastically recommend. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head while scrolling through my Kindle library:

Phoenix by Leonard Herman was one of the first serious attempts at video game history and has been updated a few times since, the most recent edition being released in 2017. It's really good if you want a chronological view of the industry.

They Create Worlds has a book out that is very, very good but it's expensive and only covers up to the early 80s, pre-crash. Probably the highest quality video game history book made so far. More volumes are coming. The podcast is highly recommended in the meantime.

Boss Fight Books has game-focused books that vary wildly in quality but the NBA Jam book is fantastic.

Jason Shreier has two books (Press Start and Press Reset) about more modern games industry events. The most recent one focuses on the human cost of game development and is good.

Masters of Doom is incredible. Very narrow in focus but I read it for the first time recently and was shocked at how gripping it is.

Super Power, Spoony Bards, and Silverware: The Super Nintendo Entertainment System is worth reading for kind of a critical look back at the SNES. It's very focused but it was fun to read a less than glowing account of one of the best consoles of all time and the decisions made regarding it.

Anyways, there are lots of books out there. There's a new attempt at cataloging books about video games at https://www.thevideogamelibrary.org/ that may have some good resources.

Great post dude. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I have one too! PX734-F7K24-WM7RV-XWG4Y-F2PPZ

Snagged this one for my son. Thanks!