Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

It's one of those extremely-specific things that I didn't think I'd like as much as I do. He's a great follow.
He uses too many gifs for my liking, but he does a fantastic job of explaining the law-based, technical aspects of just why ridiculous lawsuits are ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1509493633657020418

Akiva Cohen has a fantastic ongoing thread breaking down Bauer's defamation suit.

TL;DR: His already extremely-difficult-to-prove case is all the tougher because he specifically names Molly Knight, which means he has to sue in California (Molly lives in LA), which has incredibly strong anti-SLAPP laws.

I figured they know they won't win and just want to make the woman reporter suffer financially for reporting on the case. I do hope The Athletic is covering those legal expenses.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I figured they know they won't win and just want to make the woman reporter suffer financially for reporting on the case. I do hope The Athletic is covering those legal expenses.

That's the beauty of anti-SLAPP statutes. They basically say that defendants can be awarded fees (paid by the complainant) if the complainant loses even one cause of action.

California Code of Civil Procedure Section 425.16 posted:

(c) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), in any action subject to subdivision (b), a prevailing defendant on a special motion to strike shall be entitled to recover his or her attorney’s fees and costs.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1509493633657020418

Akiva Cohen has a fantastic ongoing thread breaking down Bauer's defamation suit.

TL;DR: His already extremely-difficult-to-prove case is all the tougher because he specifically names Molly Knight, which means he has to sue in California (Molly lives in LA), which has incredibly strong anti-SLAPP laws.
this is a good breakdown of information but am I the only one who thinks the tweets paired with like sitcom reaction gifs tone is wildly unsuited to the subject material

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

this is a good breakdown of information but am I the only one who thinks the tweets paired with like sitcom reaction gifs tone is wildly unsuited to the subject material

It’s a twitter thread, not an article in The NY Times or something. And honestly I think the goofy tone pairs nicely with how cartoonishly stupid, misogynistic, and cocky Trevor Bauer is.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah it sucks

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Niwrad posted:

For everything bad about the NY Times purchase, they probably have a couple lawyers that do nothing but deal with stupid people trying to sue them for dumb poo poo.

I’d guess they’d want to deal with it since their prestige purchase getting sued and losing wouldn’t look very good on them.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 31, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

pseudodragon posted:

For everything bad about the NY Times purchase, they probably have a couple lawyers that do nothing but deal with stupid people trying to sue them for dumb poo poo.

I’d guess they’d want to deal with it since their prestige purchase getting sued and losing wouldn’t look very good on them.

The Times also gives way more a poo poo about journalistic independence than VC owners do.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
wish that guy just had a blog or something because that is a lot of tweets

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

HAHAHAHA. I'm starting to think defamation plaintiff lawyers are scummier than ambulance chasers.

https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1509871470465503246?s=20&t=bX1iswjvAjpJ5YBZcjw2GA

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

mactheknife posted:

wish that guy just had a blog or something because that is a lot of tweets
Well the funny thing about blogs is that thanks to sites like Facebook and Twitter just about nobody except people like you and me read them anymore.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/cj1two/status/1512812784999976971?s=21&t=E0Kg1o4uU-bLDIxOaH1skw

It’s like Schefter is in a competition with Darren Rovell to see who can be more tone deaf

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Somehow Schefter wasn't even the most :psyduck: take of the day

https://twitter.com/PeteDamilatis/status/1512835278653767684

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Dude sounds like he’s decomposing in real time

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Gil Brandt must have been really young when he was the evaluation guru for the Landry-era Cowboys; otherwise it seems like he should be like 95 years by now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Somehow, this is what the NFL is using for his current headshot

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

General Dog posted:

Gil Brandt must have been really young when he was the evaluation guru for the Landry-era Cowboys; otherwise it seems like he should be like 95 years by now.

He’s 90.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1513628230611263494?s=21&t=-SFehKN3dKpGSU6Uacz1EA

until the next one

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
The final episode of the Dave Stieb saga is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv7ZgQjMn_c

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1514342053328695299?t=Q1UEf0JQ33OemZXUeZDxSQ&s=19

Is Ramadan having a "moment"?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A pantheon-tier lunar calendar religious observance. But is it overrated, underrated, or properly rated? House-O, your thoughts?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

FMguru posted:

A pantheon-tier lunar calendar religious observance. But is it overrated, underrated, or properly rated? House-O, your thoughts?

turns out it's over rated

quote:

“Fasting is not difficult,” O’Connor said in a rather dismissive tone when asked by Simmons if Irving would have any difficulty performing at a high level while fasting during the playoffs. This elicited some exasperated groans and laughs from Lambre and Simmons, and when those subsided O’Connor had a chance to explain himself.

“When I was at my peak condition physically, I was intermittent fasting every day,” O’Connor said. “I didn’t eat until like four at the earliest, sometimes six or seven. I’ve done 24-hour fasts before and I feel amazing. I feel incredible. It’s not easy to do, it just takes discipline, and it feels good. I feel great when I do it.”

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Bad take from Kevin OFaster, imo

I haven't listened to the Mismatch in a few years but I used to be a KOC fan. Sad to see it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
TBH all the ringer people are stupid assholes except when they’re saying something good about the Phoenix Suns.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Check out Hakev O'Lajuwon over here

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Check out Hakev O'Lajuwon over here

lol

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Surprise surprise something that might not be that hard to do when you're a pasty-white poo poo that sits on your rear end all day (fasting) might actually be incredibly hard to do when you're a world-class athlete, but I'd bet good money that O'Connor is one of those people who'd swear up and down that if you put him or another average guy in an NBA game for the full 48 minutes he'd be able to get a bucket just by random chance and/or luck.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's cool guys, he was really just trying to promote fasting and the words got away from him.
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1514336746049220610

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Surprise surprise something that might not be that hard to do when you're a pasty-white poo poo that sits on your rear end all day (fasting) might actually be incredibly hard to do when you're a world-class athlete, but I'd bet good money that O'Connor is one of those people who'd swear up and down that if you put him or another average guy in an NBA game for the full 48 minutes he'd be able to get a bucket just by random chance and/or luck.

Ah yes, the basketball equivalent of that one dumbass all sports fans know who think they can get a hold of an MLB fastball

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Well wait, are they defending me like I was normal NBA player or are they actively trying to make sure I don't even get off a bad shot? I could probably go one for 30 from the logo or just try to cherry pick a whole bunch until one of the prayers goes on. I'm going to look awful but that doesn't strike me as super unrealistic over 48 minutes if I don't care about anything else. If even one guy is assigned to not letting me get off a shot I'm probably not.

Softball players who think they can hit an MLB fastball are pretty loving nuts though.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Softball players who think they can hit an MLB fastball are pretty loving nuts though.
Those people are even funnier.

why yes Sgt. Bosco your 25 years of training to hit a 32-mph grapefruit with a 12-foot arc about 537 feet with an oversized metal bat after threatening to arrest the pitcher if he didn't go easy on you means that you'd totally have a 1/20 chance of nicking an Aroldis Chapman fastball.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm9iZnqGMvY

Almost as funny as MLB players thinking they can hit a softball!

this is a joke but its also cool it happened. shouts out the king and his court.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Lockback posted:

Well wait, are they defending me like I was normal NBA player or are they actively trying to make sure I don't even get off a bad shot? I could probably go one for 30 from the logo or just try to cherry pick a whole bunch until one of the prayers goes on. I'm going to look awful but that doesn't strike me as super unrealistic over 48 minutes if I don't care about anything else. If even one guy is assigned to not letting me get off a shot I'm probably not.

I feel like even 'barely trying' NBA defense would shut down pretty much anybody that isn't at least at college-ball level.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

If I'm coaching an NBA team and I know the opposing team has a guy who walked on from a YMCA rec league, I'm giving him lots of open looks to encourage his teammates to pass him the ball as much as possible, imo

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

If I'm coaching an NBA team and I know the opposing team has a guy who walked on from a YMCA rec league, I'm giving him lots of open looks to encourage his teammates to pass him the ball as much as possible, imo

There's a reason you're not an NBA coach. Any rec-leaguer is gonna have one of three things happen to them against even a lovely NBA defender: Get the ball stripped from them, get any shot blocked, and get any pass deflected or stolen. NBA players are so much faster, taller, quicker, and stronger than dumbasses think they are.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The point we're making is you could probably score if you took shots that wouldn't be contested because they'd be so bad contesting them would be a sub-optimal basketball move. You'd be shutdown because you'd go 1-25, but if you are being guarded "normally" (ie, optimally) then it doesn't seem outlandish that you'd be able to score. Getting someone to take bad % shots is one of the outcomes you want playing NBA defense.

If the opposing team was actively saying "We don't want this person to even get any shot off" then you could probably be completely shut-down, sure.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

There's a reason you're not an NBA coach. Any rec-leaguer is gonna have one of three things happen to them against even a lovely NBA defender: Get the ball stripped from them, get any shot blocked, and get any pass deflected or stolen. NBA players are so much faster, taller, quicker, and stronger than dumbasses think they are.

How are you going to get your steal/block if the ball never goes anywhere near him? You can’t get a takeaway from the rec leaguer if you cover him because no one in his right mind is going to pass it to him if there’s even a hint of coverage. The only way anyone even thinks about giving him the ball is if you pay 5-on-4 on everyone else and give him 30 feet of space as bait. If the team is dumb enough to take the bait and give it to him, your guy can close out and take the ball away before he can get a shot off.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

At least a couple years ago, the average NBA player height was 6’5” or 6’6”.

Not sure any of our “oh yeah I can get a bucket through sheer luck” short kings will have a real chance. They also probably forgot the experience of playing intramural college basketball against FBS football players.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i feel like I could at least hoist up a 3 in an NBA game. there would then be a 1-5% chance it would go in depending on How Hard I'm Feeling It that day.

i cling to that because I think the worst thing that happens to me is either I get the ball smashed back in my face so hard I get my nose broke, whereas in the NHL/NFL/MLB i would get awful concussion, awful concussion, and potential TBI from getting clocked in the head. so if there's any genies out there, i'll take my odds in making a bucket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

pseudodragon posted:

How are you going to get your steal/block if the ball never goes anywhere near him? You can’t get a takeaway from the rec leaguer if you cover him because no one in his right mind is going to pass it to him if there’s even a hint of coverage. The only way anyone even thinks about giving him the ball is if you pay 5-on-4 on everyone else and give him 30 feet of space as bait. If the team is dumb enough to take the bait and give it to him, your guy can close out and take the ball away before he can get a shot off.

Yeah this was the point I was trying to make. As the regular team, your goal is to make sure he gets the ball as much as possible